PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades for the Blitz S/C?

Sabretooth
04-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Now, I know the routine of checking first, and I did...So I thought I would make a post regarding information and possible questions.

With the Blitz supercharger kit there are a limited amount of things you can do to help make it a better kit.

1. Have a custom supercharger pulley made to increase boost (ONLY way to increase boost, other than using an Overdrive pullley setup.

2. Retune, meaning go with either a emanage (limp mode setup) or even a camcom setup (this was used by Tein for their vehicle with results)

3. Possible intercooler setup? I am no guru, but I do believe you could run a setup with an intercooler, but the gains would could be minimal and not worth it. But sure as hell would look good. The concept would be to re-route the intake piping downward through the lower grill, placing a small intercooler, then route the piping again to place an intake?

Let me know if this sounds correct? Mainly I am trying to place ideas in someones head, so they can hopefully test it out and see if its any good.

Nexus1155
04-19-2009, 11:51 AM
I might be confused about this because I just got back from working, but an intercooler Would have to take the forced air from the supercharger, cool it, and reroute it back into the piping... With the way this is designed is that even possible? It just seems more confusing than a turbo setup.

But anyways I'm looking at this pulley they designed on here god only knows why they made it like that. From Noogies pictures it looks like a bitch to reverse engineer, let alone without having one in front of me where i can take apart the assembly.

If you were going to blow some money on those options, you are better off going standalone and getting your fuel and ignition spot on and make more power that way.

Much better off..

Sabretooth
04-19-2009, 12:54 PM
I thought in concept an intercooler is nothing more than a way to collect a large amount of condensed air, then route it to where it is being used (Supercharger/Turbo)?

I dont think that we would be taking air after it goes through the supercharger, this would be all be before the intake manifold.

cali yaris
04-19-2009, 01:00 PM
1. since the Blitz pulley is a clutch-type, it's not possible to reasonably re-engineer one for underdrive. A fixed pulley could be made to make more boost. However, that would then make the lo-med-hi switch non-functional, and might seriously mess with Blitz' intended set up and/or the tune in general.

1a. Easier solution is an OVERdrive crank pulley. Very limited space, but I know NST is taking a look at it.

2. Plenty of posts on tuning the Yaris, no comment to add.

3. Intercooling a supercharged motor WILL make more power. Again, possible tuning issues.

Anything that causes the kit to make more power (by blowing more boost) will require adjustments to the tune, in my opinion. So -- sort that out first.

PETERPOOP
04-19-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm hoping NST makes a pulley. However, like garm said, all of the things mentioned would need a tune afer to make it work properly/safe. And you can't tune it unless you get a different fuel controller/piggyback.

Nexus1155
04-19-2009, 02:05 PM
If it is possible to go to a fixed pulley, i think it would be more reasonable in terms of tuning. Without the activation switch it would be constant power all the time correct? I am sure it would adjust for the difference? Garm you might be on to something here!!

cali yaris
04-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Yes -- always-on boost with a fixed pulley. would basically do away with the switch etc that goes to the cabin. What I don't know is how that interacts with the fuel controller.

A really cool setup would be to use the supercharger with a fixed pulley and an intercooler, take out the switch, wiring and fuel controller, and tune with independent management. Cool project, and probably what I would do if I hadn't committed to a turbo application.

10 psi street car with torque FTW

Nexus1155
04-19-2009, 03:24 PM
I think the fixed pulley might be a very good idea if someone was willing to try it out, you can always reverse it. Might want to try and get NST to do that. IF they don't want to, maybe theres a guinea pig in the area that wants a free part ;)

Nexus1155
04-19-2009, 06:31 PM
^^^^ Exactly what I was saying, i felt as if i had a picture that showed an intercooler setup with an intake filter on the end saying "you're doing it wrong!!!" but i couldn't find it lmao... I knew i wasn't going crazy when i was trying to visualize it in my brown eye

NO! there is a way to do it, i forgot when i was looking up info for american cars superchargers that connected to the intake side. You can make an adapter plate that directs the air from the supercharger away from the intake tracts > to the intercooler > to the adapter again > the engine. I can see this being good for cars over 400hp, but there is just not enough CFM to matter in the yaris....sadly it might hinder performance if anything that way.....

Showed how some do it, but this is not directly connected to the intake manifold...

http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=superchargerfans008th3.jpg

Sabretooth
04-19-2009, 09:42 PM
see that is a prime example of when a n00b like assumes the system in which something works, this is why the power enterprises model works with a intercooler, and not the blitz. thank you for clearing that issue up for me

eTiMaGo
04-20-2009, 12:38 AM
actually... I did not believe it for a long time too, but an intercooler for this kind of supercharger *is* possible:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/691356/blitzintercool.jpg

There's some kind of an adapter plate between the SC and the engine that diverts the air flow out then back in. Of course, this system looks pretty restrictive, not to mention it'll push the SC unit out quite a it and may interfere with the hood. But, it is technically possible :smile:

PETERPOOP
04-20-2009, 12:50 AM
that is a glimpse of heaven right there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cali yaris
04-20-2009, 12:53 AM
T-sport, please comment on post #12.

LtNoogie
04-20-2009, 01:13 AM
Well, I was thinking that a cooling plate might fit between the intake manifold and the compressor. The plate cannot be too thick or else the compressor will start to intrude into the hood. We'd have to cut a hole in the bonnet and have the blower stick out, kinda like the muscle cars of old.

Hmmm, I've got to try to Photoshop that...compressor sticking out, belt spinning. Nah, that would look goofy because the compressor would be facing sideways.

Nexus1155
04-20-2009, 01:29 AM
LOL does anyone read my posts, i explained that system there in the picture above, and also the cooling plate will fall under the same category... it might not flow enough air to be worth the expense?

regardless i'd still love to see someone do it, so i'm all for it!!!