PDA

View Full Version : Wilwood Brake Set

dngz
09-05-2006, 11:14 PM
There's a wilwood brake set for the scion xa, xb, and tc. Would the set also fit our yaris'?? LB and sedan??

BulletProofAuto
09-06-2006, 12:25 AM
my question is why do you need a bbk?

dngz
09-06-2006, 09:00 AM
i want to mod my car so it's somewhat showroom quality

Idjiit
09-06-2006, 09:13 AM
My understanding is that it does fit. Try e-mailing Wilwood.

And personally, I think it would be a worthwhile performance mod. The Yaris' braking is pretty weak, which is pretty incredible in a 2,200lb car.

Chris07LB
09-06-2006, 09:34 AM
i want to mod my car so it's somewhat showroom quality

Showroom or show circuit?

it came stock off the showroom....

ChinoCharles
09-06-2006, 09:42 AM
The Yaris's braking is weak? Any time I have ever approached slamming the brakes I had to hold onto something to avoid going through the windshield... still though I sympathize with you wanting a BBK, but you'd be crazy to get one now. Let the aftermarket mature so you aren't stuck in a couple of years staring at someone with a better cheaper system than the one you got right off the bat.

BulletProofAuto
09-06-2006, 12:05 PM
you will not gain anything but probably make driving even more difficult with a bbk. get a set of slotted rotors and paint your calipers red and call it a day. for increased performance wait a couple of months and then pick up a set of endless pads like their vita nuova. you'll save $2,000 and be able to pick up an ings+1 kit.

dngz
09-06-2006, 05:08 PM
painting my calipers seem rice to me =\.. im not planning on getting it right away.. i just like to know what's available for the yaris. and yea, i wont be getting this b4 my performance parts. i also dont like how the back drum brakes look...

YamilR
09-06-2006, 05:34 PM
painting my calipers seem rice to me =\.. im not planning on getting it right away.. i just like to know what's available for the yaris. and yea, i wont be getting this b4 my performance parts. i also dont like how the back drum brakes look...

What the hell "RICE" means?

dngz
09-06-2006, 07:08 PM
rice as in... all show, no go

ChinoCharles
09-06-2006, 08:32 PM
No, rice is putting a two-wheel BBK on a 2,200 pound car. If you want to get creative with brakes put two OEM rotors on the back.

Idjiit
09-06-2006, 08:40 PM
No, rice is putting a two-wheel BBK on a 2,200 pound car. If you want to get creative with brakes put two OEM rotors on the back.

Why?

Lafiro
09-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Actually, after putting my rims on today, I really do want rotors not aswell. These drums just aren't that good looking, but thank god they are atleast black!

YamilR
09-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Actually, after putting my rims on today, I really do want rotors not aswell. These drums just aren't that good looking, but thank god they are atleast black!

And I almost painted them Red :help:

ChinoCharles
09-07-2006, 01:41 AM
Why?

Its really a personal preference thing. My feelings... anyone can get a big brake kit installed, but it takes patience, planning and knowledge to do unique mods such as upgrading to four wheel discs. Maybe selfishly I just wanted to drum up conversation on the topic because someone on the board might have had an idea as to what it would take/how hard it would be/etc. There was a thread on it before, but it got buried and a lot of people have joined since then. I don't really know which system would give you better performance... I am assuming any car with four disc brakes instead of two would have a shorter 60-0. Could be wrong... like I said, just trying to be the devil's advocate. :evil:

dngz
09-07-2006, 02:11 AM
well other than performance, it just looks too damn good!!

Linkseal
09-07-2006, 02:26 AM
The Yaris's braking is weak? Any time I have ever approached slamming the brakes I had to hold onto something to avoid going through the windshield... still though I sympathize with you wanting a BBK, but you'd be crazy to get one now. Let the aftermarket mature so you aren't stuck in a couple of years staring at someone with a better cheaper system than the one you got right off the bat.

Same here....

03Z33
09-07-2006, 03:09 AM
JDM OEM rear disc should be a direct bolt on. I'm not sure they would make a huge difference in the performance dept. though... and drums are actually lighter!

For front, I wasn't able to get ANY fade out of the stock brakes on R-Compounds running for over 30mins at the track this past weekend, but it was a higher speed track that is not very brake intensive... If you aren't tracking the car or don't at least DOUBLE the HP then a big break is not "needed" but may "look nice" :wink:

For most, a nice set of pads and stainless lines will do wonders :biggrin:

Idjiit
09-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Its really a personal preference thing. My feelings... anyone can get a big brake kit installed, but it takes patience, planning and knowledge to do unique mods such as upgrading to four wheel discs. Maybe selfishly I just wanted to drum up conversation on the topic because someone on the board might have had an idea as to what it would take/how hard it would be/etc. There was a thread on it before, but it got buried and a lot of people have joined since then. I don't really know which system would give you better performance... I am assuming any car with four disc brakes instead of two would have a shorter 60-0. Could be wrong... like I said, just trying to be the devil's advocate. :evil:

So you're going to rag on someone who wants bigger brakes on the grounds that it isn't a performance-justified mod but advocate an incredibly involved modification that also has no performance justification? Way to be consistent, dude.

As for the Yaris' braking deficiences - they certainly may be solvable by a combination of rotors, pads and brake lines so I will be going that route before I drop money on a complete set of brakes. It may be that I simply don't like the Yaris' brake pedal feel.

03Z33
09-07-2006, 10:33 AM
I don't think anyone was putting down the idea... maybe just offering some oppinions on the mod. For one, I would never install Wilwoods on any of my cars again, I have them on one of my cars still and they are horrible quality, need rebuilds all the time and there are very few decent street pad options.

If you have your heart set on big brakes I would consider the bolt on kits from Endless, Project U, and Brembo first. Also there is a good chance the Stoptech and Rotora/Megan will offer kits in the near future which will be priced more competetively.

ChinoCharles
09-07-2006, 11:12 AM
So you're going to rag on someone who wants bigger brakes on the grounds that it isn't a performance-justified mod but advocate an incredibly involved modification that also has no performance justification? Way to be consistent, dude.

Oh for Christ's sake Idjit, unbundle your panties. :laugh:

Like I said, just trying to get conversation flowing. Its what I do... having said that, I still think FWD owners that cram every inch of Brembo they can on their two front rotors screams rice.

Now all of you converse wildly about the JDM rear brake install while I sit in my office chair while laughing like Dr. Claw.

Violin
09-07-2006, 11:16 AM
get a set of slotted rotors and paint your calipers red and call it a day.

Sounds like a plan!

dresden_k
09-17-2006, 04:24 PM
There's nothing wrong with having a bbk on the front and drums in the back. With a car this light, this short and very front-heavy, it makes more sense than putting discs in the back, even if that were an easy option for this car, which it isn't.

When Wilwood or some other company releases a rear disc conversion, it's something I'll consider, but don't expect major braking performance coming from the back of this car.

Boo
09-17-2006, 06:51 PM
With a car this light, this short and very front-heavy, it makes more sense than putting discs in the back, even if that were an easy option for this car, which it isn't.

FWD supposed to be front heavy.
If you thinking about putting battery to the back and make it weight balanced. That mean RICE. (it does nothing good to a FWD car)
Weight balance only apply to RWD cars.
Also adding weight to suspension component is adding your unsprung weight, just like getting a heavy wheel. That will reduce your performance i.e. mpg, acceleration.

heylookitsjames
09-17-2006, 11:36 PM
FWD supposed to be front heavy.
If you thinking about putting battery to the back and make it weight balanced. That mean RICE. (it does nothing good to a FWD car)
Weight balance only apply to RWD cars.
Also adding weight to suspension component is adding your unsprung weight, just like getting a heavy wheel. That will reduce your performance i.e. mpg, acceleration.

Actually... Having all the weight in the front, even in a fwd vehicle, makes for bad understeer. Balance is ALWAYS a good thing and moving the battery to the rear of the car is actually not a bad idea.

Boo
09-18-2006, 07:59 AM
Actually... Having all the weight in the front, even in a fwd vehicle, makes for bad understeer. Balance is ALWAYS a good thing and moving the battery to the rear of the car is actually not a bad idea.

Moving battery to to back for a FWD doesn't help to to reduce understeer.
You just move your weight to the back and make your car more dragging.
In order to address nose heavy is to replace with light weight part, but not moving part to rear.

heylookitsjames
09-18-2006, 10:01 PM
While I agree that replacing stock parts with lighter weight versions is the preferred method for achieving maximum performance and handling benefits, relocating movable objects within the car to get as close to a 50/50 balance (regardless of drive setup) is also extremely valuable. This decreases the polar moment of inertia of the vehicle, making the car easier to turn and maintain in a neutral behavior throughout the turn.

03Z33
09-19-2006, 01:24 AM
adding weight to the rear of the vehicle definetely helps! I carry around sand bags when I go around the track :biggrin:

I'm also planning on adding another engine in the rear to drive the rear wheels, and then I'll get 18" wilwood brakes and some chrome exhaust bearings to grease up the flux capacitor :w00t:

mojoyaris
04-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Just to update this thread, In the latest Siphon mag there is the Tein Yaris that has the Wilwood brake kit and the rears are basic drums but the car brakes awesome and performs awesome.

The advantage to a rear disc setup is that the drums can overheat and then they don't brake worth crap. I used to have a 69 Firebird convertible with drums on all 4 corners. I can vouch for the reliability of drum brakes.

There's alot more out there available for brake kits on the market now.
If you don't do performance/track driving a steel line setup and better pads are all you need. But otherwise they do look better.

13 inch rotors are probably overkill, but they're available out there for our cars. JBT has them availalabe now, 4 pot system. I think they are working on a rear disc system as well.

C2AUTOSPL
04-13-2007, 01:40 PM
LIke i said on the other post, Greddy also makes BBK for the Yaris.

http://greddy.com/img/PHP/products/jpg/1057.jpg

PetersRedYaris
04-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Wilwood makes nice stuff. My brother builds and competes professional rockcrawlers and they use it on all their trucks. If it can lock a 38 inch tire mounted on a bead locked wheel filled with water for extra low end weight, it could stop a Yaris FAST.

OxyG3nE
04-13-2007, 07:14 PM
a big brake kit front and rear would be really nice on this car :p

Kitt
04-13-2007, 07:52 PM

:confused:
Come on!!!, it's not rice!!!

painting the drums maybe but not the caliperss

mojoyaris
04-15-2007, 12:19 AM
a big brake kit front and rear would be really nice on this car :p

I've seen a Wilwood rear disc kit on an xb and it looked great!

Vanderkitten
06-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Get your Yaris to the track with some DOT -R Tires and chase around Evo's and Porsches and you will be clamoring for a big brake kit, esp. with a turbo kit. I got the DEZOD pads and they never seemed to get the "bite" other listers seem to rave about. It's perhaps the rotors not being slotted, but at the end of the day I needed more brakes. When I didn't have some jackass in a 350Z laying on the brakes, they were fine on open track... I guess that's the thing I really noticed:

Open track, stock brakes were fine because you were using them about to the limit without having to do any exaggerated braking. In traffic, I had did not have the stopping power (remember, the DOT-R tires are WAY grippier so the car stopped pretty fast, but not repeatedly).

Anyhow, I know it's easy to poo poo people who want bigger brakes, but when you get to the track and push the car, it becomes absolutely clear what the weaknesses are: HP and Brakes. Luckily I put on the Megan Racing coilovers, they were AWESOME on the track.

I think the Wilwood (who have been making brakes for decades and what most Miata's run on the track) are inexpensive, trusted and have excellent support. I will post a separate thread about the Yaris at the track.

HTM Yaris
06-15-2007, 08:31 PM
My brakes have turned a pretty shade of blue before . Was able to light a cigarette off them before also . They do have tendancy to get mushy . I have ordered SS lines(back ordered) and plan on changing the fluid . Has anybody tried the E-bay drilled rotors ? Know where I can get drilled rotors ? Decent Pads ? I do 1 track weekend , 1 Dragon trip and 1 Autox every month . Sometimes more .

smokinyaris
06-23-2007, 10:26 AM
to clear BBK what size wheels do we need to run on our Yari..........

ChinoCharles
06-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Anyone know how much the Wilwood and/or Greddy BBK's go for?

03Z33
06-23-2007, 02:01 PM
to clear BBK what size wheels do we need to run on our Yari..........

This will depend on which brake kit or rotor size you use, but most of the existing brake kits on the market will clear most 15" wheels.

Anyone know how much the Wilwood and/or Greddy BBK's go for?

The Greddy kit retails for $1850 but it doesn't fit the Yaris. They had a typo on their website a while back, but it's corrected now. The kit will only fit Echo, Xa/Xb.

I haven't seen any Wilwood "kits" on the market, only a couple of people do self made ones...

largeorangefont
06-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Fab up a backing plate that can accept a 2.5 inch hose and get some front fog light bezels. Run hose from the bezel directly to the rotor hat. That will help curb brake fade. This can cool rotor temps as much as 600 degrees.

Here is the setup on my Cobra. I have zero fade with an agressive street pad at Streets of Willow.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/largeorangefont/IMG_0459.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/largeorangefont/IMG_0460.jpg

ChinoCharles
06-23-2007, 02:34 PM
This will depend on which brake kit or rotor size you use, but most of the existing brake kits on the market will clear most 15" wheels.

The Greddy kit retails for $1850 but it doesn't fit the Yaris. They had a typo on their website a while back, but it's corrected now. The kit will only fit Echo, Xa/Xb.

I haven't seen any Wilwood "kits" on the market, only a couple of people do self made ones...

Thank you for the clarification!

Ashley, nice setup!

largeorangefont
06-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Thank you for the clarification!

Ashley, nice setup!

Thanks,

Try some brake cooling before spending big bucks on a brake upgrade. The stock calipers seem decent. With SS lines good pads, fluid and some sort of cooling setup the stock calipers would probably be fine for 99% of the track whores out there.

smokinyaris
06-23-2007, 03:59 PM
thanks for the info brotha's