PDA

View Full Version : Any problems with a Viper 791XV?

IsLNdbOi
09-06-2006, 04:48 AM
I've been looking at getting a security system for my 07LB. I live in Vegas and it has a really bad car theft rate.

Anyway, I would get the regular Toyota VIP RS3200, but for the price my dealer is asking for the system + installation, I could get a Viper 791XV instead.

So anyone here have a 791XV installed in an 07LB? Did the authorized Viper dealer have any trouble installing the 791XV in your 07LB?

Do all features of the 791XV work in your 07LB?

Finally, I'm not sure if what I was reading was correct, but I've seen some posts here in YarisWorld that seem to indicate that remote starting is bad for the Yaris. Any truth to this?

IsLNdbOi
09-06-2006, 05:22 AM
Oh I've also seen some posts regarding security systems where they could no longer lock their doors from the inside. What's that all about?

ChinoCharles
09-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Nice choice, and even better justification of dropping the money on it. Haha.

No authorized dealer should have any trouble installing any security system in a car with preexisting power locks. Should be cake... if they screw it up they're idiots.

And no, remote starting isn't bad for the Yaris... there were some of us that were weary about putting a remote start in a manual, but nothing about a remote start being bad for the car itself. Just don't leave it in gear, haha.

IsLNdbOi
09-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Don't leave it in gear meaning put it on "(P)ark" whenever I leave the car, right? Also, what about the part where you can no longer lock it from the inside using the car's built in power door lock / unlock button(s)?

twixt
09-06-2006, 12:39 PM
i have the 791xv and the remote start works great. i have had the system for a few years and swapped it between cars. only problem i see is i go through a lcd remote once a year(80$). dont forget to keep an extra AAA battery in the glove box.

IsLNdbOi
09-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks guys, but what about that thing about not being able to lock the doors from the inside using the car's built in power door lock / unlock buttons on the inside door handle?

IsLNdbOi
09-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Went to Audio Express here in Vegas today and they have the 5900SST which is supposed to be the replacement for the 791XV. Price with installation though is $750. That's really high.

IsLNdbOi
09-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Ok, got the Viper 5900SST installed today. What a nice security system! This is the first time I've had a remote car starting. The only feature that doesn't work is the automatic trunk / rear hatch opener. Not sure why they couldn't get that to work. My LB did come with factory installed power door locks and windows.

Total cost was $701 which was way over my budget, but oh well. My insurance company better give me a nice discount for having this security system.

wwwh355
09-08-2006, 04:11 AM
The only feature that doesn't work is the automatic trunk / rear hatch opener. Not sure why they couldn't get that to work.

Well, I guess it is because yaris does not equiped with a electrical cable puller.
So, its just simply wont work:iono:

overboost
09-15-2006, 07:10 PM
i am a mobile electronics installer and i put the viper 5900sst in my yaris about 2 months ago and i have had no problems with it. The yaris is a very simple car to work on, I even put in my own power locks, that was kind of bitch because of the cable locks but what ever. You could put in a actuator for the power trunk but factory it doesnt come with it.

IsLNdbOi
09-15-2006, 08:38 PM
The 5900SST is working great in my LB Yaris. I already have power locks so all I would need to have trunk popping would be to add an actuator? Would I need Directed's (company that makes the Vipers) 522T trunk release solenoid?

overboost
09-16-2006, 12:50 AM
The 5900SST is working great in my LB Yaris. I already have power locks so all I would need to have trunk popping would be to add an actuator? Would I need Directed's (company that makes the Vipers) 522T trunk release solenoid?
no any solonoid will work just use the red/white wire on the main harness of the brain to trip (-'ve) a relay that will activate the solonoid.

IsLNdbOi
09-16-2006, 12:58 AM
So to get hatch popping, I just need an actuator and solenoid? Can you recommend some?

Thanks.

jmew0ng
09-16-2006, 01:43 AM
i was curious as to, if a remote start on a manual was possible. It's said in the owner's manual that you can't start without the clutch in. Based on that the computer won't let you I think....

overboost
09-16-2006, 07:38 PM
So to get hatch popping, I just need an actuator and solenoid? Can you recommend some?

Thanks.
nope you just need a solonoid, a relay and the know how to make them work together.
as far as install on a manual trans you need a seperate unit that works with the car starter that takes input from your parking brake as well as other sources to ensure that the car will not be started in gear.

IsLNdbOi
09-16-2006, 08:34 PM
I have an automatic. Anyone in the US have recommendations on where I can get a good solenoid and relay?