PDA

View Full Version : Miles per tank

joeharth
04-22-2009, 10:25 AM
How many miles do you get before your car gets to the first line in the fuel gauge?

coheed
04-22-2009, 10:29 AM
I usually get 365-375 a tank. But I drive like a maniac.:burnrubber:

TheUnGroomed
04-22-2009, 10:47 AM
I picked 370 because that's my average so far. I've been as low as 329, and as high as 460. I usually start looking for a gas station once I hit 2 bars.

voodoo22
04-22-2009, 10:58 AM
My average over the first 76 fill ups is 671 km's or 417 miles. That includes all fills (even partials) since purchase and before I started driving more intelligently.

My best is 947 km's or 588 miles, and in the summer I get consistently over 850 km's or 520 miles. I usually fill up when the last bar is blinking.

enobmort42
04-22-2009, 10:58 AM
i drive like a bat outta hell and 80% of my driving is city traffic. that doesn't help my mileage any =P

Bredayaris
04-22-2009, 11:17 AM
I've just filled up diesel in my tank.
I drove 675 km (420 miles) but it didn't reach the the first bar though.

I had 8.45 liters left (2.23 US gallon).

I calculated my last tank and my diesel Yaris did 45.2 MPG.
Average highway speeds of 78 MPH, A/C on, fast traffic light acceleration.

BailOut
04-22-2009, 12:24 PM
I average about 475 miles between fill ups. My personal best so far is 562 miles.

1stToyota
04-22-2009, 12:34 PM
I picked 400, but it usually shows 375 because I always refuel with 2 bars still showing. Running near empty isn't great on the fuel pump's health.

BailOut
04-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Running near empty isn't great on the fuel pump's health.
Over 4 million miles of hypermiling road usage and tank drainage has shown no evidence to support this. This has also been debunked on several automotive shows and in automotive blogs. Additionally, no modern Toyota owner's manual mentions anything about this.

I have also heard folks inanely talk about sediment being a problem with a low fuel level. This is a non-issue for two reasons: 1) Our fuel pump has in intake screen that blocks any debris over an unacceptable size, and 2) It's not like most of that sediment is buoyant anyway, meaning it is always in the bottom of the tank regardless of the fuel level.

1stToyota
04-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Over 4 million miles of hypermiling road usage and tank drainage has shown no evidence to support this. This has also been debunked on several automotive shows and in automotive blogs. Additionally, no modern Toyota owner's manual mentions anything about this.

I have also heard folks inanely talk about sediment being a problem with a low fuel level. This is a non-issue for two reasons: 1) Our fuel pump has in intake screen that blocks any debris over an unacceptable size, and 2) It's not like most of that sediment is buoyant anyway, meaning it is always in the bottom of the tank regardless of the fuel level.

They wouldn't. Most manuals make no mention of timing belt service, even when most aren't free-wheeling design and will cause instantly bent valves. So, if they won't warn about major engine damage in the owner's manual, don't expect them to get you excited about a fuel pump. You're not in the real world, you're just a reader. I've changed 6 fuel pumps in the past 10 years, on ONE vehicle. All brand new AC Delco/Delphi fuel pumps, wire harness replaced each time...lady finally admitted that her fuel gauge almost never gets above 1/4 and doesn't put in the $5 or whatever is handy until the low fuel light has been on for a while. It's been over 2 years now and her fuel pump isn't giving her trouble now, since she now refuels before low fuel light warns her.

And the sediment isn't just in the bottom of the tank, it's also at the bottom of the fuel tray that the fuel pump is mounted in. Fuel pump intake screens with remote mounted filters isn't something new and isn't a very good excuse. Countless thousands of in-tank fuel pumps have failed and all of them have some sort of strainer or filter mounted to the pump, and they failed, so it's something besides non-sediment that's causing them to fail. If you can list even one make or model of car that has in-tank fuel pumps installed without a straining device I'd sure like to know.

But of course this isn't the way you do it so it's a sure bet that I'm wrong. Like the guy that just posted that he wished he had more HP...since it didn't agree with your way of thinking and your needs you told him his opinion wasn't valid. I didn't call you on it but another member did. :rolleyes:

BailOut
04-22-2009, 01:54 PM
1stToyota,

Your limited personal experience with one brand of cars by no means trumps the diverse and extensive testbed of the entire hypermiling community. I know you would not embellish your personal experiences but please recognize how limited in scope they are, and take that into account when sharing information as fact.

1stToyota
04-22-2009, 02:13 PM
1stToyota,

Your limited personal experience with one brand of cars by no means trumps the diverse and extensive testbed of the entire hypermiling community. I know you would not embellish your personal experiences but please recognize how limited in scope they are, and take that into account when sharing information as fact.

Reader, low fuel level will even set trouble codes and cause boost problems. Millions of cars have those codes established in their library by the car manufacturer, and read by millions of scanners being built and used in the auto repair industry. Alldata and Mitchell even have tech bulletins (from OEM sources) dealing with damage to fuel pumps from extended low fuel levels.

Hypermilers test double psi tires and say no effect on treadwear, handling, braking, etc...? :bellyroll:

Of course a hypermiler fuel pumps and tires are designed special and will never fail when non-hypermilers can experience problems to the same systems.

serious
04-22-2009, 02:50 PM
370 more or less cty/hwy

joeharth
04-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Wow I really wanted to see this. Mine is a 2007 hatchback. I only get 300 per tank. I tried changing plugs and air filter but no cheese. I use 87 but it did not get better with 89. Any ideas what to check for?

BailOut
04-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Hello Joe,

Please get comfortable and read through the stickied FE thread at the top of this forum. Here is a direct link to it:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5979

NJBob
04-22-2009, 04:49 PM
I picked 400, but it usually shows 375 because I always refuel with 2 bars still showing.

+1 :smile:

1stToyota
04-22-2009, 05:40 PM
+1 :smile:

You shouldn't have agreed with me. "You're a bad man. You're a VERY bad man!" ;)

**you've just been wished out to the corn field**

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/CharRob/cornfield.jpg

PreciousPups4U
04-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Usually around 360 - 375. Did make it to 414.7 once, then the car shut off. Don't really recommend that at all.

I try to fill up when I get to 2 bars just to be safe.

brainless twit
04-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Assuming I get 40 miles out of the final bar, I get between 450 & 470. Today was my worst tank in awhile - only 426 miles, 39.8 mpg.

Kal-El
04-22-2009, 11:25 PM
My best is 947 km's or 588 miles, and in the summer I get consistently over 850 km's or 520 miles. I usually fill up when the last bar is blinking.

588 miles using every last drop of your 11.1 gallon tank = 53 MPG. And I must assume you didn't run out of gas. Sorry dude, but I'm a bit skeptical. Were you coasting down a lot of hills with your engine off?

Kal-El
04-22-2009, 11:30 PM
This is a good poll. Only thing is that it changes depending on season. You do significantly better in hot weather than you do in freezing weather.

With the current spring climate, I reach about 375 miles to the last bar with about a gallon left. So about 415 or so to empty. Half the time I'm going 75-80 mph.

voodoo22
04-23-2009, 08:26 AM
588 miles using every last drop of your 11.1 gallon tank = 53 MPG. And I must assume you didn't run out of gas. Sorry dude, but I'm a bit skeptical. Were you coasting down a lot of hills with your engine off?

I drive an AT and have achieved over 53 US MPG on several tanks. My best is over 54 US MPG on a fill of 10.016 gallons used for 548.55 miles driven on winter tires, during an unusual warm kick in November.

If I drove a MT I'm sure I could break 60 US MPG because then I could coast and shift more efficiently.

The key to my MPG is that I drive mostly hwy and do not go over 90 km/h unless absolutely necessary. This means I hardly ever have to brake. This technique for giving yourself enough room between you and the vehicle in front of you has led to me hardly ever having to brake and waste fuel, even under the inevitable traffic jams. We also try to group short trips into longer ones. I was headed for my best tank to date with over 438 miles on the first 6 bars, but then we had to make several unavoidable short trips in the city on the rest of the tank and my MPG fell to 53.4 US MPG.

I make the situations under which I drive our car as close to ideal as possible. We plan our trips and drive with discipline. Not everyone has the kind of commute, planning and discipline to get these kind of numbers. Bailout for example has much better technique and discipline than I do, but his commute is much more difficult than mine. I'm not doing anything that anyone else in my situation couldn't do if they wanted to make the commitment.

If you want to change from a skeptic to a believer you should read over and try out some of the things Bailout is saying. He actually knows what he's talking about and doesn't make stuff up.:thumbup: After a few years of trying out stuff him and others like him talk about, I've come to trust his judgement.

1stToyota
04-23-2009, 08:47 AM
I drive an AT and have achieved over 53 US MPG on several tanks. My best is over 54 US MPG on a fill of 10.016 gallons used for 548.55 miles driven on winter tires, during an unusual warm kick in November.

If I drove a MT I'm sure I could break 60 US MPG because then I could coast and shift more efficiently.

The key to my MPG is that I drive mostly hwy and do not go over 90 km/h unless absolutely necessary. This means I hardly ever have to brake. This technique for giving yourself enough room between you and the vehicle in front of you has led to me hardly ever having to brake and waste fuel, even under the inevitable traffic jams. We also try to group short trips into longer ones. I was headed for my best tank to date with over 438 miles on the first 6 bars, but then we had to make several unavoidable short trips in the city on the rest of the tank and my MPG fell to 53.4 US MPG.

I make the situations under which I drive our car as close to ideal as possible. We plan our trips and drive with discipline. Not everyone has the kind of commute, planning and discipline to get these kind of numbers. Bailout for example has much better technique and discipline than I do, but his commute is much more difficult than mine. I'm not doing anything that anyone else in my situation couldn't do if they wanted to make the commitment.

If you want to change from a skeptic to a believer you should read over and try out some of the things Bailout is saying. He actually knows what he's talking about and doesn't make stuff up.:thumbup: After a few years of trying out stuff him and others like him talk about, I've come to trust his judgement.

What did I miss?
Your first best was 588, and this best is 548.55 ??
Myself, I would be more of a believer but I don't want to get myself into the mindset where I have to get in the habit of telling everybody with different needs and thought patterns that their opinions are voided because they're just based on "alarmism" and "fabrication" ...broken-record much? :rolleyes:

TheUnGroomed
04-23-2009, 11:36 AM

I have the manual and so far my best tank was 47.8 MPG. I have had several single trips between 54 and 63 MPG. These were mostly on rural roads at 35 MPH(about 50 km/h(i think)). I just wish that I never had to go on the highway or in the city.

voodoo22
04-23-2009, 01:23 PM
I have the manual and so far my best tank was 47.8 MPG. I have had several single trips between 54 and 63 MPG. These were mostly on rural roads at 35 MPH(about 50 km/h(i think)). I just wish that I never had to go on the highway or in the city.

Woah, 47.8 is a great number, but between 54- 63 is amazing.

Yeah our cars MPG drops fast when you have to go over 55 MPH, on shorter trips under 24 km's, or are at a lot of red lights and stop signs. I'm lucky and only have 3 lights and 2 stop signs on my commute to work and 1 light and 2 stops signs on my way back.

Kal-El
04-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Woah, 47.8 is a great number, but between 54- 63 is amazing.

Yeah our cars MPG drops fast when you have to go over 55 MPH, on shorter trips under 24 km's, or are at a lot of red lights and stop signs. I'm lucky and only have 3 lights and 2 stop signs on my commute to work and 1 light and 2 stops signs on my way back.

For me, I average near 40 mpg because there's no way I'm cruising at 55 in 80+mph traffic. So I'm usually at 65-75 depending if I'm late for work or not. :tongue: At 65, they're still whipping by me.

I use DFCO a lot in the city. Mine is a 5-speed BTW.

The only way I could see approaching 50 mpg is a long continuous trip at 55 mph with no traffic and a light load.

Kal-El
04-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Wow, there's two people who voted for around 280 a tank?? Assuming leaving a gallon left (last bar), that's only about 28 mpg!

I don't know how anyone could get such low mileage in a Yaris. Even aggressive pizza delivery in NY City should yield more!

:confused:

YarisDude
04-23-2009, 03:09 PM
^^^^^

They must be driving around in third gear!

joeharth
04-24-2009, 09:48 AM
I am getting 300 per tank! I checked my plugs, changed my air intake and now things are worse. Now that I have a new air intake I like the sound so much I step really hard on the gas. Hopefully Ill figure out what I am doing wrong with my new kiwi unit.

Sodium Duck
04-24-2009, 01:21 PM
They must be driving around in third gear!

hahah, i remember that post... :biggrin:

anonymous user
04-24-2009, 02:05 PM
I voted for 310 per tank, but I also usually fill up at the 2 bar light or as soon as it goes to the first slow flashing bar. I've never put more than 9.8 gallons in the car, due to fear of running out of gas. I am a decent hypermiller where i live, in the terrain and traffic that i face each day, i'm pretty happy with my results, but would love to get 39-40+ MPG. I guess i can't get irritated when people cut me off, and try to chase them down once in a while.

BailOut
04-25-2009, 11:08 PM
I just did 537.3 miles on a tank. I filled up with 10.485 gallons after 537.3 miles for 51.26 MPG. That's my first 50+ tank of the year, and despite driving over the mountain to work in 3 inches of slush yesterday. :smile:

voodoo22
04-26-2009, 09:41 AM
I just did 537.3 miles on a tank. I filled up with 10.485 gallons after 537.3 miles for 51.26 MPG. That's my first 50+ tank of the year, and despite driving over the mountain to work in 3 inches of slush yesterday. :smile:

You prove that for people who don't drive a lot of city, getting over 50 mpg is a choice.

Great work as usual Bailout:w00t:.

supmet
04-27-2009, 01:47 PM
I did an experiment to see the worst gas mileage I could get. Over 50% of my tank was gear limited, stereo blasting, A/C on, very aggressive driving. Haven't checked my tire pressure or air filter in months. Mostly city driving through hills. My yaris is 2 years old with 70k miles on it, and I have the wrong transmission fluid in it right now(dexron IV). I had about 150 pounds of stereo and random crap in the trunk. I had one or two passengers for over 50% of the tank. Tried to maintain 80 on the freeway, and never dip down to 65.

295 miles on 9.5 gallons - 31 mpg.

I tried and I tried, but just couldn't get the 28 mpg some people on here are getting. Maybe I need to let some air out of my tires and put another 12 in the trunk.

stripey
05-02-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm about 370 as well, but that's in a Yaris Verso ("Fun Cargo" to the Japanese!) which I guess has a bit more air resistance, but only a 1300 engine.

devinlamothe
05-02-2009, 03:37 PM
OK I don't understand how you guys are getting such great mileage? I try to use hypermiling techniques but consistently get crappy mileage, around 450km (280 miles) per tank. The best I've gotten is 505km (313 miles) per tank.

I drive usually 40mph (60km/h) and my commutes are mostly city driving.

WTF is wrong with my car?

1stToyota
05-02-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm pulling a little Supmet tactic this week...driving at least 65mph on the freeway all week, hit 75 and 80mph when passing, gunning it enough to keep from getting cut-off (usually let the jerks just push their way in), using the A/C when I'd normally run the vents...296 miles and still @ 1/2 a tank. Maybe it's the Soltron? :iono:

Edit: Or maybe it was the 87 octane Sinclair (No Ethanol)
Filled up last night: 43.67mpg :cool:

voodoo22
05-03-2009, 05:29 PM
OK I don't understand how you guys are getting such great mileage? I try to use hypermiling techniques but consistently get crappy mileage, around 450km (280 miles) per tank. The best I've gotten is 505km (313 miles) per tank.

I'm guessing your driving shorter distances of under 20 km each way?

Cutie Pie #2
05-03-2009, 05:44 PM
I got 380 miles when the car was brand new, now I get about between 320-340 out of a tank.

Kal-El
05-03-2009, 07:13 PM

There's the "problem". If your mostly city driving, you won't get the 40 mpg we are all claiming. It depends how bad your city conditions are. Are you stopped and idling often? Plus, accelerating from a stop up to speed burns most of your fuel.

Remember, the Yaris EPA rating in the city is 29 mpg. So if this is about what you're getting, there isn't a "problem".

BailOut
05-11-2009, 01:52 PM
While voodoo22 still holds the record for the longest tank in the Yaris (588 miles) I just got a new personal best of 569.3 miles. :clap:

sqcomp
05-11-2009, 03:24 PM
The fast blinking on my last bar happens somewhere at 450-465 miles. I like to fill it at around 400-425. I've started getting in the mid 43 mpg within the last couple months. It used to be 40-41 regularly.

My driving hasn't changed, I did do the big three upgrade though.

NHYarisFan
05-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi Yaris World just got my new yaris a month ago and i LOVE it. I love the mpg. I filled up about 8 times so far and i get 380-420 miles per tank :)

Pitt Yaris
05-11-2009, 09:20 PM
I get 400 a tank....about 38 mpg.

XYaris
05-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I voted for 280, which frankly is optimistic. I live in NYC and almost all my driving is urban, even my 10 mile highway commute is stop and go. When I travel long distances even at high speeds I get about 40 mpg (so like 400 a tank). I have sticky tires and a fairly heavy right foot, but to receive the mileage some folks get is a hard thing for me to imagine. Props to you folks.

Pitt Yaris
05-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Just filled up, got 41mpg. I can't believe I got such crappy mpg with the stock oil/oem filter. I was filling up at like 330 miles, now I'm filling up at 410 miles.

mryaris
05-15-2009, 01:34 AM
I get to the last blinking bar right around 380 miles or so and fill up 10-15 miles later. I haven't actually hit 400 miles on a tank yet but pretty close (I'm sitting at 393 miles right now). My driving is about 65% city and 35% highway.

Pitt Yaris
05-15-2009, 01:40 AM
That's not bad. I don't have a lot of stop and go traffic. I have 5500 miles, so next oil change I'm gonna give synthetic a try. This first oil change is went with castrol gtx and napa gold oil filter. Upped me 80 miles per tank. Screw toyota oil/filter.

YAR1S
05-22-2009, 11:37 PM
approx. 645 kms or 400 miles per tank on my 3dr auto.

1NZYaris1
05-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Averaging 660km's around home , and on long trips (500+km's) about 840km's per tank :thumbsup:

thebarber
05-23-2009, 04:29 AM
600kms in-city w/ a manual 1.5L. almost 700 highway

marcus
05-23-2009, 09:09 AM
600km sound very close to mine.. but on a 39-40liter which mean im averaging about 650km on 42 liters..summer.. long trip i did 710km on a 40 liters..

NZYari
06-05-2009, 08:50 PM
In my first Yaris - 1.5 A, about 520km.

In new RS 1.8 6Sp M about 490km, but drive it accordingly. Most driving for this is rush hour - 1/2/3 gear for 15km trip in mornings, 75 - 90 kmh at night

leasaunce
06-06-2009, 08:03 AM
when i used to have my echo 03 model 1.3 manual, i was gettin 550km before low fuel light comes on.

marcus
06-06-2009, 09:58 AM
1.5 i get about 550-570km before last bar starts blinking.

highwaypass
06-06-2009, 10:05 AM
1.5 MT, i get 500km before it starts blinking.

JohnnoEH
09-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Best fuel consumption I've got worked out to be around 760km/tank.

But it's usually around 650-700km per tank, I tend to take it fairly easy. :thumbsup:

Kiz
09-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Wow damn I suck at driving then... 450-500km per tank, 1.3 MT :(

Jahbs
09-13-2009, 03:09 AM
have done 550 kms and still three full bars remaining

Jahbs
09-22-2009, 06:02 AM
750kms then the last bar started flashing
city and suburban driving mostly city as thats where im going to

STC
07-08-2010, 06:58 PM
I guess I will revive this thread... :smile:

So far, I average about 462 miles between fill ups (not including the dismal dealer fill). My first two fills I averaged only 378 miles. Most of my 11 fill-ups are timed within 5 miles of the last slow flashing bar... 3 fills being on the second to last bar. My personal best so far is 538 miles/tank.

Cheers!

bkrownd
07-08-2010, 07:37 PM
I would like to join the brag-fest, but I fill up between 1/4 and 1/2 tank. Better for the fuel pump.

Congrats on cracking 48