PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen in Tires

nsmitchell
09-07-2006, 04:15 PM
I was in Costco the other day looking at tires for my Odyssey and they now use nitrogen in all their tires. What is the deal?:iono: Has anyone reported any better mileage or handling like they claim on the big banner on the wall?

MWill517
09-07-2006, 04:47 PM
I have heard these claims as well. It does stand to reason as nitrogen is not as heavy or as moisture laiden as air. From what I have heard it is also less likely to loose air pressure. I do not have experience with that though. However a quick search of google gave me this, pretty interesting read.
http://choosetoprosper.com/nitrogen-in-car-tires.html

dngz
09-07-2006, 07:13 PM
From what I have heard it is also less likely to loose air pressure. I do not have experience with that though.

Heard the same thing. Also heard nitrogen makes your tires last longer!

Yaris Dick
09-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Hype. Period. The claims of longer tire life are ludicrous when one considers the fact that treadwear is truly a function of exposure to friction and mechanical stresses experienced while the tire is in motion. The fact that anyone would try to make a case for N2 base on "rot" is mind boogling at best.

The only scientifically substantiated benefit of N2 is lower leak rates based on density and even then the "benefits" are almost intangible under normal conditions.

sroberts
09-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Forget all that nitrogen stuff. I am waiting for Michelin to start selling the Tweel. They did invent the radial tire which is the standard now so I think we will start seeing this tire in the next 5 years. I am pessimistic, but its cool as hell, we shall see :biggrin:

http://www.michelinmedia.com/default/kw=MCHtweel

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/videoplayer/newVid/small_player/cbsnews_videoplayer.shtml?clip=/media/2005/01/27/video669906.wmv&sec=3420&vidId=3420&title=Reinventing$@$The$@$Wheel&hitboxMLC=eveningnews

07WYarisRS
09-07-2006, 11:16 PM
sounds exspensive as hell

But on the other hand put some sidewall on there and you could have a decent reliable tire.

mikeukrainetz
09-07-2006, 11:40 PM
nitrogen keeps the tire temp cooler and the molecules are larger - hence the lack of leaks among other reasons....

follow the link

http://www.nitrofill.com/nitrogen-in-tires.aspx

03Z33
09-08-2006, 03:29 AM
as stated above, top 3 reasons for filling with nitrogen are:

1. lighter (less unsprung mass)

2. doesn't absorb as much moisture

3. doesn't expand and contract as much as "air" with temperature changes allowing the tire pressures to remain more consistent. On average a normal tire filled with "air" will go up by 1psi for every 10 deg. F.

pxpaulx
09-08-2006, 08:42 AM
i hope you don't have to pay extra for the nitrogen, air is already 78% nitrogen.

nsmitchell
09-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Costco went through all the trouble to use nitrogen instead of air. It must do what is claims and they give it away. No charge. I cant see spending all that money to upgrade all the Costco's around the nation to nitrogen in tanks if it didn't pay out something for Costco. They must use A LOT of nitrogen! Maybe the tires last longer so Costco pays less in claims about shortened tire life. Also tires stay inflated to proper PSI so tires wear better as well. Just a thought.

BTW "V for Vendetta" is one awesome movie!

captainzerocool
09-09-2006, 03:30 AM
Nitrogen varies less PSI over a given temperature range compared to O2.

mikeukrainetz
09-09-2006, 09:47 AM
The nitrogen is usually free with a tire purchase.

heylookitsjames
09-12-2006, 02:09 AM
It should be noted that air IS 78% Nitrogen and 21% oxygen. The molecular weight (14.01 and 16.00 respectively) and "size" of free nitrogen and oxygen are so similar that filling tires with pure nitrogen probably gives less than a 3 or 4 gram difference per tire. Filling tires with Nitrogen in anything other than a F1 car and claiming a noticable difference based on weight and pressure change is a rediculous notion. If you feel that filling your tires with nitrogen will make your car faster and more predictable, then by all means go for it... but it seems like a blatant waste of resources which is pretty contrary to the ethos behind the yaris.

03Z33
09-12-2006, 09:51 AM
It should be noted that air IS 78% Nitrogen and 21% oxygen. The molecular weight (14.01 and 16.00 respectively) and "size" of free nitrogen and oxygen are so similar that filling tires with pure nitrogen probably gives less than a 3 or 4 gram difference per tire. Filling tires with Nitrogen in anything other than a F1 car and claiming a noticable difference based on weight and pressure change is a rediculous notion. If you feel that filling your tires with nitrogen will make your car faster and more predictable, then by all means go for it... but it seems like a blatant waste of resources which is pretty contrary to the ethos behind the yaris.

Change in pressure is reduced a lot, and that's the #1 reason to run it. Go to the track on any given weekend... you'll see lots of "weekend warriors" with their nitrogen filling up :tongue:

Now quit trying to be such a bench racing smarty pants and trade hatches with me !! :tongue:

jmew0ng
09-12-2006, 10:47 PM
if it's free from costco and works just fine.. I don't see the problem :D

heylookitsjames
09-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Now quit trying to be such a bench racing smarty pants and trade hatches with me !! :tongue:
...jeff?

03Z33
09-18-2006, 12:12 AM
...jeff?

Yes, HI! I was expecting to see you at the bar-b-q last night... I drove the Yaris all the way out to the IE :biggrin:

ericet74
09-28-2006, 01:03 AM
I had my firehawk SZ40's filled with nitrogen in 2002 and i have not had to fill them since. I bought these tires when i lived in Spain and at the time it was a few extra euros to get the nitrogen. I have never experienced an air filled tire last that long. Plus nitrogen is dry. If an air compressor has a bad air/water seperator than you will get moisture in your tires with out you even knowing. Water in the tire is bad. Did you ever wonder why all aircraft tires are filled with nitrogen?

eTiMaGo
10-01-2006, 09:17 PM
The shop where I got the car done up offered it for free, so I went for it, so why not give it a try?

YarisOwnersDad
04-22-2009, 07:37 AM
No way I would have paid it, but the dealership that my Yaris came from on a dealer trade had added $39.99 for nitrogen fill to the sticker price. Can you believe that?

I paid $145 over invoice, and the nitrogen fill didn't even come into the picture. I doubt if my dealer even knew that charge was on there.

Tom

P.S.

Yeah, old thread, but why start a new one on the same subject?

*MAD DOG*
07-29-2009, 02:25 AM
Ok. Today I paid $25 to have 100% Nitrogen put into all four tyres. I'm going to test and see if they stay inflated better after a fortnight. Wish they filled tyres with 100% Nitrogen here for free.

RedRide
07-30-2009, 01:18 PM
How can a tire be filled with 100% nitrogen?

To do so would first require the tire to be installed on the rim in a vacuum to eliminate any air in the tire/rim before inflating it with nitrogen.

Kal-El
07-30-2009, 03:05 PM

To do so would first require the tire to be installed on the rim in a vacuum to eliminate any air in the tire/rim before inflating it with nitrogen.

LOL. :tongue:

Kal-El
07-30-2009, 03:08 PM
How about helium? :tongue: I don't know a whole lot about gases but that would certainly lighten things up. Maybe it wouldn't hold as well? Sorry if this sounds stupid.

*MAD DOG*
07-30-2009, 03:23 PM

Good Point :thumbsup:

He did deflate the tyre by removing the tyre valve and letting all the air that wanted to escape out. I was merely trying to point out that they used bottled Nitrogen rather than the stock 78% we breathe in the air.

botchilah
07-30-2009, 11:34 PM
I've been using Nitrogen in my two cars and my previous car for about 3 years and no issues. It's true that it doesn't leak out as much as regular oxygen. I check my tire pressure weekly and with nitrogen, the tires would last for about 3 months before I saw even a 1-2psi difference. With oxygen, I'd have to top up every week.

*MAD DOG*
07-30-2009, 11:57 PM
I've been using Nitrogen in my two cars and my previous car for about 3 years and no issues. It's true that it doesn't leak out as much as regular oxygen. I check my tire pressure weekly and with nitrogen, the tires would last for about 3 months before I saw even a 1-2psi difference. With oxygen, I'd have to top up every week.

That's a big difference. I don't own an air compressor so it's a pain in the butt to line up for it at the gas station.

aucorium
07-31-2009, 07:06 AM
i have been using nitrogen in my tires for years !! works really well , does give much longer tire life as the pressure stays constant for longer, thus tire wear reduced , also alot lighter than air , makes my car feel quicker on acceleration , i know that sounds whack , but its true , try it ! one the down side because the tires stay cool , they never really heat up for really good grip , so that could be the only down side , but i havent experienced any serious grip loss , so all good so far. here is RSA we pay R20 per tire , after that top ups are free.

Snyprwlf47
07-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Nitrogen=Aftermarket air... I can just see the yarisworld garage's!

cruz-gsr
07-31-2009, 11:51 AM
any other company is using it, ot just costco

ivanivanix
10-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Tires Plus puts it with new tires purchased

nsmitchell
10-16-2009, 11:46 AM
I just got new tires for my Mustang at Costco. Green caps means nitrogen filled. I'm happy. Costco is the way to go for tires. Way cheaper to mount and balance and get rid of old tires. I went to Tire America and got a quote for $750.00 for 4 Michelin Hydroedge tires installed. Costco was just under $600.00 installed. Plus Costco give you lifetime balancing, rotations and repair. Awesome!

TheRealEnth
10-16-2009, 12:59 PM
600 Dollars FOR JUST TIRES??? JESUS i hope thats on the mustang

DevilGirl
10-16-2009, 03:39 PM
any other company is using it, ot just costco

Jack Williams Tire uses it. I had it in the Saturn before I traded that in. Free fill when purchase tires there. Not sure if Firestone put in nitrogen when I replaced the tires on the Lancer or not....

silver_echo
10-17-2009, 04:01 AM
as far as i know, firestone does not do it, but "alton's tire rama" does advertise it

nemelek
10-17-2009, 06:02 AM
Free is one thing, however to pay for it is another. I think that I will save my money for snake oil.

advocate
10-17-2009, 08:37 AM
How about helium? :tongue: I don't know a whole lot about gases but that would certainly lighten things up. Maybe it wouldn't hold as well? Sorry if this sounds stupid.

I believe it's because Helium molecules are too small and thus they would lose pressure much faster than is practical.

See molecular diffusion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion).

Thicker molecules like Nitrogen and Oxygen can't escape the tire as easily so they're used instead of Helium.