PDA

View Full Version : Please help, new to all this

YarisNoob
09-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi, I just got my Yaris LB and I have never replaced/modded any type of part in a car before and I want to replace the bulbs in my Yaris with some PIAA bulbs I got, unfortunately I'm not sure how to get to the bulbs so I can replace them, I know this probably a dumb question but could someone please help me? Thank you.

Jfoofoo
09-08-2006, 10:50 AM
check your owner's menu it's all the way at the back. However from my experiance.. First you need a pair small-medium hands Large hands will be difficult. :) First you unplug the cable and remove the rubber washer. They just pull right out. After the rubber washing/housing is removed. You need to locate the 2 spring release thingy. You need to push it towards the bulb and it will become unhooked. after you are done with both side.. (one spring on each side) the bulb should come right out.
Again check your owner's menu.. that is what I did.

YarisNoob
09-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Thanks, I will look in the manual before I do anything, unfortunately I have large hands and I think I may have to pop the headlight bracket out to change the bulb.

slvryaris
09-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Thats ok. I Have huge hands and mine was no problem to get out. I also replaced my bulbs with PIAA's. Let me tell ya they are worth the money no matter what anyone says. I was always a skeptic till I bought a pair then I seen where the money went.The manual is exactly correct in how to take them out and put them in. Dont touch the glass on the bulb though. Some people make that mistake and the oils from your fingers can burn out the bulb. I have seen one explode before because someone thought they knew what they were doing.

Jfoofoo
09-08-2006, 04:54 PM
I like my silverstar... :)

Chris07LB
09-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Pictures and Instructions are in the big owners manual.

Go HID instead... :cool:

mikeukrainetz
09-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Replaced my bulbs with aftermarket bulbs of a different temp range, ive never had so much trouble changing bulbs. My hands were cut and bruised for a week. Theres only like 1.5" behind the bulb, and on the driver side your fighting with the battery with your 'stupid' hand (unless your a lefty).

Violin
09-08-2006, 08:56 PM
I agree with mikeukrainetz, there's not enough room behind the headlight in the liftback for a human male to change the bulb.

HOWEVER, if you pop off the 5 black pin-clips on the top of the bumper and the 2 in the wheel wells (1 each side), you can pull the top of the bumper out, remove the three screws on each headlight and pull them out to work on them easily. Sounds complex, but it's a big time saver and you protect your hands and bulbs.

I put PIAA H4 Super Plasma GT-X's in mine. They provide a lot more light and have a nice color, but I sometimes regret not getting some of those HID's from Chris. I imagine that I'll regret it more often when winter comes.

Violin
09-09-2006, 09:51 AM
I figured these might help.

I didn't bother with the protective tape and didn't use a screwdriver to disengage the claws, just some gentle tugging did the trick.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/rjenkie/bumperMedium.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/rjenkie/bumper2Medium.jpg

Chris07LB
09-09-2006, 09:52 AM
^ :thumbup: ^

Violin
09-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Oops! I just realized I crossed off the wrong part. I should have left the part that says "remove the 7 clips" and crossed out the part about the 8 screws.

brickhardmeat
03-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Ok this is a $%^&! I have never had my hand in such a tiny little crack of a space. Jesus! I am ready to pay someone to do this. That or just start taking the thing apart to change the freaking headlight. I changed out everything thing else without problems except for the maplights (off subject). Times like these I wish I knew a little person.

Chris07LB
03-10-2007, 03:07 PM
What are you trying to change? The H4 bulb?

brickhardmeat
03-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah trying to wrestle those darn H4's out. I give. I'm going to Dad's tomorrow and he'll probably have them swapped out in a minute or two. I got the maplights after a little figuring. The repair manual makes everything look like you have to take the whole car apart:eek:

Having trouble getting passed the rubber sleeve-got the plug out though:rolleyes:

and I am having issues with the license plate light. I'm ready to give it a swift kick:evil:
anyway my back hurts

07typeS
03-10-2007, 06:20 PM
man this makes me happy to have a sedan. I can fit my fat hands behind it no problem.

Chris07LB
03-10-2007, 06:28 PM
If the map lights were giving you problems, PLEASE let a dealer or a friend with experience work on your car.

brickhardmeat
03-10-2007, 07:14 PM
no, they did initially because I thought I was going to have to remove the whole housing to get to them. I was using the repair manual. Then I discovered they were basically the same as the dome as far as just remove the covers. Look man I'm used to German Engineering this Japanese stuff is new to me.:iono:

Black Yaris
03-10-2007, 11:08 PM
no, they did initially because I thought I was going to have to remove the whole housing to get to them. I was using the repair manual. Then I discovered they were basically the same as the dome as far as just remove the covers. Look man I'm used to German Engineering this Japanese stuff is new to me.:iono:

Hey guy, our car is of French design... just east of Deutschland

brickhardmeat
03-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Well it is different than my old Golf and that is the only car I've really messed with. Next time I'll do my research.:bow: