PDA

View Full Version : My Tein Coilovers go "Bang!"

fuji
05-03-2009, 10:42 PM
I could you some help from you guys....Just got some Tein coilovers installed and the handling is fantastic! The only problem so far is every time I go over some rough road, I hear a very loud "bang"! It is coming from both left rear and right rear. There is no tire rubbing. Everything looks like it is installed properly. Any thoughts on what may be causing this????

Thanks in advance:iono::confused:

ChinoCharles
05-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Sounds like your struts are bottoming out. Dampening isn't set right?

thebarber
05-03-2009, 11:32 PM
sounds like youre hitting the bumpstops....how low are you?

supmet
05-03-2009, 11:53 PM
sounds like one of the old batman shows... BANG! POW! ZAP!

gwasabi
05-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Same thing happening to me on DF210 just ignore em runemhard!. lol or grab a set of tokico blues!

fuji
05-04-2009, 02:13 AM
Hmmmm. Bump stops. Are they supposed to be trimmed prior to installation of coilovers set low?????

Sabretooth
05-04-2009, 04:03 AM
How low do you have the coilovers set for height wise, sounds like your not giving them enough room to move with the motion of the car, you might have them too low, thus they just give a bit and hit bottom. If you have them lowered heavily, I would suggest trying to raise them, I have had mine for almost 6 months now, with no issues with bottoming out, but I also have mine setup or a moderate drop, I could dump them if I wanted to. Risking the same effect as you are describing.

fuji
05-04-2009, 04:12 AM
When I got them installed, the install shop set them at almost max lowering. It looks like about 2 inches. Let's just say he fenders are covering the tops of my 195/55/15s.

fuji
05-04-2009, 04:15 AM
I definately need to raise the rear end. I may also consider cutting an inch off the bump stops in the rear given the loud "whack" occurs with not too mcuh force.

thebarber
05-04-2009, 04:58 AM
bumpstops shouldnt be oem, tein will have their own in the coilover kit...

it sounds to me you have to raise the rear end a bit....especially if youre tucked....have a pic?

HTM Yaris
05-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Adjust the Teins until you have about 1 1/2-2 inches between the tire and fender ( all 4 wheels ) or, you can use the measurements provided by Tein in the instructions .

MUSKOKA800
05-04-2009, 11:52 AM
When I got them installed, the install shop set them at almost max lowering. It looks like about 2 inches. Let's just say he fenders are covering the tops of my 195/55/15s.

Magazine car ride height (fantasy) vs. streetable ride height (reality).
Two very different specifications (unfortunitely).

fuji
05-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Exactly where are the bumstops located, I will have to crawl under the car and take a look

Russelt3hPirate
05-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Exactly where are the bumstops located, I will have to crawl under the car and take a look

first check to make sure the bolts are tight up top and that the lower bolts are tight as well.

the bump stop is in or on the strut so you'll need to uninstall them, and you shouldn't need to modify them from Tein, you just need to raise the car.

thebarber
05-04-2009, 07:09 PM
bumpstops on my megan coilovers are under the dust cover....

fuji
05-05-2009, 05:54 AM
Well I checked the bump stops and the overall install. Everything appears to be correct. I even adjusted the rear coilovers higher. Still have the "whack" sound alternating from both sides. It sounds like someone is hitting the plastic panels with an antenna or something. Any other thoughts? This has had to have happened to someone else!

MUSKOKA800
05-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Well I checked the bump stops and the overall install. Everything appears to be correct. I even adjusted the rear coilovers higher. Still have the "whack" sound alternating from both sides. It sounds like someone is hitting the plastic panels with an antenna or something. Any other thoughts? This has had to have happened to someone else!

Long-shot but coil bind perhaps???

fuji
05-12-2009, 03:11 AM
The bump stops are just fine. It looks like the install was properly done. The more I hear the sounds the more convinced I am the sound is coming from inside. It is coming from both right rear and left rear. I strongly suspect the sound is coming from a inside body panel whacking against the sheet metal due to the way stiffer rear suspension. I am still trying to figure this out. This has had to have happened to someone else!

thebarber
05-12-2009, 11:11 AM
pics of the rear upper mount inside the car?

what wheels/tires are you running? any chance theyre hitting the fender? how fast are you hitting bumps when it makes the noise?

Shroomster
05-12-2009, 11:13 AM
what wheels/tires are you running? any chance theyre hitting the fender? how fast are you hitting bumps when it makes the noise?

that sounds like the problem right there......

CASTREX
05-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Something like this happened to me after installing the Tein Basic coilovers....

It turned out that I missed instaling a spacer on the upper rear mounts. So the shocks were not tight against the upper mount and mada a clunk noise over minor bumps.

2" drop is not that much... you can get 2.5" down with the teins...

I would review the installation manual and make sure you got all the parts installed properly. Just because a shop did the job doesn't mean they can not do it wrong.

fuji
05-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks so much Castrex! Was the sound they made pretty loud? I will check on this when I get home from work.

CASTREX
05-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Yes it was loud.... like the one you describe.

It was a long time ago... and the thread I made when I installed them got lost during the hack.

I was looking for some pics but couldn't find any...

I know for sure that I had to uninstall the rears to fix the problem and it was not clearly visible with the shocks mounted on.

In my case I believe we missed the dust cover. The installation manual was not very clear about it. You were supossed to hacked the OE plastic dust cover and remove the metal top of the cover. This piece worked as a spacer. With out it the shocks were loose and hit the body of the car when driving over bumps.

I attached a copy of the installation manual for the Tein Basics from the tein web site.

Hope you can figure this out.

maddo1983
05-13-2009, 05:25 PM
does anyone know what the problem might be with my shocks,i tink it could be the upper mount thats at fault for ths??i checked everything else and its perfect but the mount seems to have play in it a little to much im wondering should i just replace the mounts would this solve the problem?,the sound is really bad wen im goin over bumps,does anyone else have this same problem and know what it might be please?/

fuji
05-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Damn!!!! IT WAS the dust covers!!! No more sound now that I fixed it. So much for trusting a shop:evil::evil: to install your shocks for you!!!!!:evil::evil::mad::mad:

fuji
05-13-2009, 05:58 PM
To get to the dust covers, I had to cut them out of the plastic boot of the original shocks!

PETERPOOP
05-13-2009, 06:00 PM
let's see some pics fuji, or you making me wait for the meet to see my yaris's cousin in person? :P

PETERPOOP
05-13-2009, 10:30 PM
alright no pics. awesome

CASTREX
05-14-2009, 05:56 PM
To get to the dust covers, I had to cut them out of the plastic boot of the original shocks!

Yeap, you need to hack the OE plastic dust covers to take the metal spacer out.

I'm glad I could help you!

Now enjoy the smooth ride of the Teins...

aucorium
05-28-2009, 01:16 AM

do you have some sort of pic of this ? im installing super streets on saturday in mine.

m911gt
05-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Sounds like your struts are bottoming out. Dampening isn't set right?

Anybody please, are the Tein Basics equipped with adjustable dampening?

aucorium
05-29-2009, 02:03 AM
Anybody please, are the Tein Basics equipped with adjustable dampening?

hey bro , no the basics have a set damping , cant adjust , you will need the super compacts from japan like i got , the got 16 way damping / rebound adjustment :headbang:

m911gt
05-29-2009, 09:21 AM
^^ok thanks!

yariseggvvti
02-04-2013, 02:13 AM
just got my Tein Basis install this past weekend. I got in to the mission in 8 hours. The rear is like a project. I have to custom cut dust cover and cut the rubber in middle to make a hole install that spacer. Turn around the spring seat top on the bottom and bottom goes to top. Now my vehicle can handle the turn but my tires are not.

david_mackk
02-04-2013, 03:03 AM
^ Almost 4 years. Good job.

cali yaris
02-04-2013, 11:01 AM
The rears should be extremely easy, with no modifications necessary. :iono:

Maybe you could post some pictures.

yariseggvvti
02-05-2013, 02:46 AM
The rears should be extremely easy, with no modifications necessary. :iono:

Maybe you could post some pictures.

I had done the front is kinda easier than the rear. I purchase all the hard for the front . The upper plate, bearing, dust cover and bump stop. All have to do is put it together. In the rear is kinda difficult cuz i have UR swaybar,Nittor lower trail bar.

The only different I can feel now is less body roll and lower a bit of the vehicle. I drop 1 in the front and 1.5 in the rear. Every time I went over a bump the car feels like lift up to the air. Just wondering is the spring soft or the shock? Also, the tire make more noise now.

Any advice anybody? I got Tein basis. I would like something stiff and not too bumpy.