PDA

View Full Version : Retrofit Blitz Supercharger

Morgan
05-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Well... its installed and fantastic!

This is an xA/xB kit I got used with 3000 miles and it came with all of the original mounting hardware and components.

My boyfriend Kevin deserves a lot of credit for this project. I assisted and helped where I could but this project was a little over what I felt comfortable with in my mechanical abilities. Really though it went very smoothly, its totally worth it.

For starters anyone thinking about getting a scion kit, realize that there are several main modifications you will need to make:
1 - Throttle Body (xA = 3 bolt; Yaris = 4 bolt) We made an adapter plate to mate the supercharger intake piece to the Yaris TB. I already bypassed the coolant line several months ago, in this project I shortened the coolant line that ran to it.
2 - Intake (xA = different position for TB; Yaris = you need a custom intake of some kind) We flipped the stock air box upside down to reduce the chance of CELs, so far so good. I need K&N style filter but I was impatient and wanted it running asap :wink:
3 - Pulley/Belt (xA = 66.7 to 67 in belt; Yaris = 66in belt) I am using the gatorback 66.7in belt with an idler pulley from Advanced, I'll try to track down the exact part number later. The pulley I bought was like $18 and gives a better wrap to the supercharger and I don't have any clearance issues with it.

However the biggest change from my setup with others here, is my AEM water methanol system. I tapped my washer fluid tank (and installed the float switch in the washer tank) for lack of space of either the 2 quart or 4 quart AEM tanks. There is an led mounted in the car to tell me when the AEM is spraying and when the system is low. The pump is mounted on my right strut tower and the controller box is behind the lower passenger glove box.

Can't think of too much else at the moment, its been 3 days up til 2am working on this project. Soldering in everything and taking our time really paid off. It cranked right up and runs like a champ!

halfway through:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/faux_leopard/supercharger/IMG_0313.jpg

completed:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/faux_leopard/supercharger/IMG_0318.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/faux_leopard/supercharger/IMG_0319.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/faux_leopard/supercharger/IMG_0320.jpg

Its pretty loud, I might get some videos/better pictures this evening

~Mo

Tamago
05-04-2009, 06:30 PM
congrats! i'm glad it all worked out :) can't wait to see your numbers (and i can't wait for you to take "fastest SC yaris" away from our lil buddy

ChinoCharles
05-04-2009, 06:31 PM
NIIIIICE :bow: You get +400 cool points for not buying the out-of-the-box solution.

AlexNet0
05-04-2009, 06:31 PM
OMG, that is awesome, definitely need some vids, mad props

kurokoma-kun
05-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Fantastic! :thumbup: so exciting, and really heartwarming the way you and your boyfriend share the love of cars :wub:

PHXDEMON
05-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Another boosted member :thumbsup: Hopefully no CEL's Out of curiosity did you retrofit because you got a smoking deal on that kit?

CASTREX
05-04-2009, 07:46 PM
It would be interesting to see the effect of the meth injection on that set up.

That should take care of the knocking problems that other blitz users have reported and should prevent the ECU to pull in too much timing. Heck you might even get away using regular fuel on your car.

Congrats!

Post some numbers soon!

1NZYaris1
05-04-2009, 07:54 PM
:clap::clap: well done that looks amazing :bow: :bow: so jealous :thumbup:

Morgan
05-04-2009, 08:05 PM
congrats! i'm glad it all worked out :) can't wait to see your numbers (and i can't wait for you to take "fastest SC yaris" away from our lil buddy)

I hope to have it up on the dyno when I get back from the vacation :wink:

Fantastic! :thumbup: so exciting, and really heartwarming the way you and your boyfriend share the love of cars :wub:

We have spent many late nights hot and sweaty... but we enjoy doing the car stuff together. Its funny how we can get mad at each other during an install like this and still go to bed with no ill feelings, the cars are therapeutic in a way

Another boosted member :thumbsup: Hopefully no CEL's Out of curiosity did you retrofit because you got a smoking deal on that kit?

yes! it was a great deal and I knew if I passed it up now I would never get the opportunity to do something like this again for quite some time.

:clap::clap: well done that looks amazing :bow: :bow: so jealous :thumbup:

Thanks! There are still a few loose ends to tie up and finish, but I'm still in shock that it cranked right up :smile;

----

I finally feel clean enough (after two showers and a soak in the hot tub)to leave the house and go show it off to some other car friends!

Tamago
05-04-2009, 08:06 PM
i have pieces that'd build you an amazing CAI for your setup. PM me

Morgan
05-04-2009, 08:26 PM
fuel controller just took some thinking to get right, matching up the pins on the ecu between the two cars to figure out which wire goes where...

the xA has one ground, the Yaris has two or three grounds - other than that it was pretty easy to figure out

LtNoogie
05-04-2009, 08:40 PM
How do you like the drive by cable response instead of drive by wire?

kurokoma-kun
05-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Morgan will you please say more about the water meth injection kit?

I understand how it cools the fuel air mixture, but not clear about the other advantages/disadvantages. Does injecting water into the system have any negative effects?

Also I wondering about cost--I experienced some of the things Castrex described, and right now I'm buying octane booster to combat but getting satisfactory + stable results. However, I haven't given much thought to the long term effects. If you factor in the cost of the water meth kit and buying the methanol, is this method still better long-term?

PS to all -- if by asking this I unwittingly brought up a controversial topic or asked a dumb Q, please dont argue in Morgan's thread, mmmmkkaayyyy? :tongue:

LtNoogie
05-04-2009, 08:44 PM
KK, I'm watching closely that throttle body adapter plate thread. If they make a threaded hole that will fit a water injector, that may be the way for you and me to go. Until then, just continue using the turkey baster.:tongue:

Tamago
05-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Morgan will you please say more about the water meth injection kit?

I understand how it cools the fuel air mixture, but not clear about the other advantages/disadvantages. Does injecting water into the system have any negative effects?

Also I wondering about cost--I experienced some of the things Castrex described, and right now I'm buying octane booster to combat but getting satisfactory + stable results. However, I haven't given much thought to the long term effects. If you factor in the cost of the water meth kit and buying the methanol, is this method still better long-term?

PS to all -- if by asking this I unwittingly brought up a controversial topic or asked a dumb Q, please dont argue in Morgan's thread, mmmmkkaayyyy? :tongue:

not a dumb question, but could be answered using google.

water/meth injection has been used for over 50 years, and does not harm your engine if done properly

kurokoma-kun
05-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Tamago, I consulted Google before asking, and still came away with questions. I was hoping someone like you would be willing to elaborate, or that she might like a chance to explain it herself. But for Morgan's sake I'll ask in a different thread. Thanks anyway. :smile:

kngrsll
05-04-2009, 08:56 PM
wow, really cool...

cali yaris
05-04-2009, 10:07 PM
well done! :clap:

PETERPOOP
05-04-2009, 10:20 PM
awesome! i plan on doing meth injection during my tune also! have fun with your extra HP! :respekt:

thebarber
05-04-2009, 10:31 PM
very nice....

best to buy washer fluid by the case

im curious to see the adapter plate for the throttle body

808_Yaris
05-05-2009, 02:52 AM
amazing! can't wait to see the tests!

Sabretooth
05-05-2009, 05:37 AM
Just Wow...only the 2nd or 3rd Retrofitted Yaris to an Xa or Xb kit. Major congratz!

I was hoping sometime that someone would attempt a Greddy Xb S/C kit so we can see how that goes. Seeing it comes with Emanage blue, we could tune it similar to Chino's kit has been tuned. I know of one vid on Youtube of a Yaris with the Xb supercharger, although I dont know how it was done, or if its still running strong.

Tamago
05-05-2009, 06:43 AM
IMO, Blitz (lysholm) is a superior supercharger to Greddy (Eaton) as the Eaton unit is less efficient

TheRealEnth
05-05-2009, 08:42 AM
sick with it

nsmitchell
05-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Awesome! So the meth/water is used to cut out knocking so you can increase compression?

Morgan
05-05-2009, 09:27 AM
the water/meth kit is from AEM, I ordered it from Summit for about $400 shipped and it comes with different size injectors (I just used the smallest one in the kit). The nozzle must be put BEFORE the TB but AFTER the maf. The AEM system is progressive and you can set what psi it will start and what psi you want full to be. The kit has a controller box mounted in the car for tuning and my only complaint is that the adjuster is quite obviously set up to handle like 30+lbs of pressure so adjusting it for the wee 6-8ish lbs has been interesting.

I have kept my original Yaris TB, so no cable its still DriveByWire. But the plate that mates the two together is basically a glorified gasket made from StarBoard (marine ABS plastic) with for a 2ftx3ftx3/4in was about $30. StarBoard may quite possibly be the coolest material to work with ever. It is rated for about 250*F so its safe for the temperature range I needed and you can drill into it and cut it with normal wood working tools. Basically my TB is upside down and one of the holes in the Yaris TB is matched up with a hole to the Blitz intake tube and then the rest of the holes are either counter sunk into the StarBoard or drilled through with a nut and bolt to hold them together. And of course rtv to make a nice seal.

I am supposed to be going out of town on Wed, might push it back til Thursday so I can have more time to get ready. I've already burned through 1/3 tank of fuel (93 octane, cause Florida is awesome!) and 1/4 water-meth mixture with flooring it and trying to tune it.

The water methanol is pretty easy to set up, the US has been doing it will all piston driven airplane engines since like WWII and its known to be pretty safe and reliable. Most people put a water injection setup on their cars to squeeze out more octane and get more out of the engine. Living in Florida with no intercooler, I'm using it to cool and reduce my chances of knock. The concentration depends on what you need. Water - to cool; Methanol - increase octane/reduce knock. I need both so I'm running pretty much a 50/50 mix by volume.

I really loved chemistry and never thought I'd EVER have to use it in the real world. BUT when you buy a 1 gallon washer fluid and its a 33% methanol concentration and you have 100ml of Heet (~$2 from any auto parts store) which is 99% methanol. Rough numbers find something to pour both fluids into and shake. After its all mixed together you have a 40% methanol by volume and for now a 40meth/60water mix is close enough. For summer I will probably need to bump it up to 50/50.

Look into the concentrations for your needs, I'm not using this setup for more power but when tuned correctly it will increase the octane and cool the engine... so voila more power :smile:

hope that may answer some questions? all in all I probably wont go through that much methanol (or gas lol) but its new and the first few tanks after stuff like this are always pretty crappy mileage, right :biggrin:

Morgan
05-05-2009, 06:43 PM
update - I noticed the belt slipping (and squeaking) while running the a/c and the supercharger, so I swapped back to the pulley that came with the kit and got a 66 inch belt [I was running a pulley from Advanced Auto Parts and a Gatorback 66.7in belt]

But after some fun in second gear, it pulls just as hard and runs great with 4 people and the a/c on

eTiMaGo
05-09-2009, 10:07 AM
how did I miss this? great job, more boosted ladies FTW :biggrin:

supmet
05-09-2009, 12:23 PM
I really loved chemistry and never thought I'd EVER have to use it in the real world. BUT when you buy a 1 gallon washer fluid and its a 33% methanol concentration and you have 100ml of Heet (~$2 from any auto parts store) which is 99% methanol. Rough numbers find something to pour both fluids into and shake. After its all mixed together you have a 40% methanol by volume and for now a 40meth/60water mix is close enough. For summer I will probably need to bump it up to 50/50.

100 mL = 3.38 oz

33% of one gallon = 42.66 oz

42.66 + 3.38 = 46.05

46.05 oz /131.38 oz = 35%

Is my math wrong?

ztrack157
05-09-2009, 05:29 PM
nope looks right. 35.04%

Russelt3hPirate
05-11-2009, 10:43 AM
as long as her mixture is consistent and tuned on that same mix it doesn't really matter what the % is.

same goes with mixing fuels, if I ran 1/4 tank 93 and 5 gallon 110 for my tune anytime I run my "race map" I just need to have 1/4 or less of 93 and 5 gallon of 110 and I'm good. (note, example isn't from a Yaris, at least not yet anyway... ;) ).

Morgan
05-14-2009, 11:31 AM
% by volume and % by weight are different... I can never remember which one is which but I know the math you provided is not the math I used to determine the concentration

Tamago
05-14-2009, 11:32 AM
% by volume and % by weight are totally different...

you geek ;)

welcome back!

Morgan
05-14-2009, 11:35 AM
hehe ninja edit... :biggrin: and thanks!

Tamago
05-14-2009, 12:07 PM
% by volume and % by weight are different... I can never remember which one is which but I know the math you provided is not the math I used to determine the concentration

methanol and water have different specific gravities, for sure.

Russelt3hPirate
05-14-2009, 12:09 PM
methanol and water have different specific gravities, for sure.

who cares!

use the same mixture everytime and stop doing math. :bellyroll:

Tamago
05-14-2009, 12:10 PM
who cares!

use the same mixture everytime and stop doing math. :bellyroll:

that's hilarious coming from you sir :laughabove:

Morgan
05-25-2009, 03:39 PM
well the methanol makes a HUGE difference :wink: and on 100% (well 99.99%) it runs great, current set up is with 50% which does quite well.

I originally tapped the washer fluid tank to feed the pump, but my float/low switch wasn't functioning at the right angle so I went ahead and just installed the 1 gallon tank in the rear of the car. Now that I can actually see the before and after levels of the tank, that car drinks the methanol!

After trying a few possible locations I went with the back of the seat since I can shut off the feed tube and there are quick connects on the switch should I need to take it out and use the cargo room... guess my rear seats are staying in for a while :/

here are some pictures of the tank location:
(the first picture is screwy... stupid iPhone...)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/faux_leopard/supercharger/iphone.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/faux_leopard/supercharger/IMG_0374.jpg

valve/quick connects:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/faux_leopard/supercharger/IMG_0375.jpg

Nexus1155
05-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Looks awesome!!!!, now go get some dyno time :D :P

cali yaris
05-25-2009, 06:52 PM
+1

Shroomster
05-25-2009, 07:34 PM
maybe think about somehow enclosing the tank? just for extra leak protection?

Nexus1155
05-25-2009, 10:00 PM
the tank is pretty thick and flexible i doubt anything will puncture it easily ;)

Morgan you can always upgrade to the 7L tank they have in the stock japanese STI's :D

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t171/ace996/AchillesKarateandMethKit004.jpg

Tamago
05-25-2009, 10:37 PM
looks great! glad it all came out as planned! btw can't wait to see your install pix of the hub spacers :)

PETERPOOP
05-25-2009, 11:16 PM
the tank is pretty thick and flexible i doubt anything will puncture it easily ;)

Morgan you can always upgrade to the 7L tank they have in the stock japanese STI's :D

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t171/ace996/AchillesKarateandMethKit004.jpg

crazzzzzzzzzzzzy

Morgan
05-26-2009, 12:10 AM
... the tank says 4 quarts but it holds close to 1.2 gallons, and that 7L tank is only 1.8 gallons...

SE-RIX
05-26-2009, 12:37 AM
looks very nice. whats the HP on this badboy?

Morgan
05-31-2009, 11:57 PM
looks very nice. whats the HP on this badboy?

I haven't had a chance to dyno it yet... but for fun I did get to go to our little local drag strip. Its only 1/8th mile and to be honest I hate everything about drag racing so I can't say I put all of my effort into this but here are some videos:

run 1
r/t .174s
60 2.542s
660 6.957s
1320 (1/8th) 10.613s @ 66.03mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTUoZ6sjHew

run 2
r/t .258s
60 2.414s
660 6.748s
1320 (1/8th) 10.401 @ 68.40mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTUoZ6sjHew&feature=channel_page

I had fun, but I'd rather be at an autoX anyday :biggrin:

cali yaris
06-01-2009, 12:26 AM
ha nice -- I can't wait to go do that again.

Morgan
06-01-2009, 12:31 AM
yeah, it was really hot and humid out so I stayed for a few more runs but didn't really get any faster - florida sucks all of the fun out of so many outdoor events :/

LtNoogie
06-01-2009, 12:42 AM
That is awesome. Do you know what your ignition timing reads with and without the water/meth injection?

I did have to laugh a little seeing the hot rod next to the Yaris. Kinda like my Yaris next to the Ferrari F430 at my last autox.

Morgan
06-01-2009, 12:55 AM
That is awesome. Do you know what your ignition timing reads with and without the water/meth injection?

I did have to laugh a little seeing the hot rod next to the Yaris. Kinda like my Yaris next to the Ferrari F430 at my last autox.

I have no idea, the only gauges I have in my car are the speedo, clock and gas gauge... lame, I know! I need something to read a/f and timing to see what all is happening to the car from those magic little black boxes Blitz tells you to wire in.

Yeah that hot rod guy was awesome though, made me laugh in the staging lanes which took my mind off of the ridiculous nerves I had, haha! [hot rod ran a 8.546s @ 83.57mph]

Morgan
07-01-2009, 04:21 PM
boo overtightened belt!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/faux_leopard/supercharger/belt.jpg

well guess I'll have to drive the miata for a few days til I get the new one on, darn! :wink:

changchewsoon
07-01-2009, 10:16 PM
hi morgan,

good choice on the water/methanol injection kit. i am using the aem kit too and im currently running a 50/50 mixture.

the car hasn't been completely dialed in yet for the kit as the tuner is still trying to figure out at which psi to start spraying as im boosting very low.

externally even after many rounds of dyno pulls, when we put our hands to the piping near the throttle body you can't feel any heat at all compared to the piping right after the intercooler.

it is very obvious the injection is lowering the temperature in a major way.

Morgan
07-02-2009, 12:21 AM
hi morgan,

good choice on the water/methanol injection kit. i am using the aem kit too and im currently running a 50/50 mixture.

the car hasn't been completely dialed in yet for the kit as the tuner is still trying to figure out at which psi to start spraying as im boosting very low.

externally even after many rounds of dyno pulls, when we put our hands to the piping near the throttle body you can't feel any heat at all compared to the piping right after the intercooler.

it is very obvious the injection is lowering the temperature in a major way.

My start psi is about 2-3psi and full is at like 9psi. It seems to really like that at a 50/50 mix. I'm using the smallest injector that came with the AEM, not sure the exact cc/min...

Really just glad to know someone else is using water/meth in a boosted application! I'm not alone, wahoo! Since the blitz is nonintercooled and I'm in 110 degree weather, in glad I went with the AEM kit, my charge pipe forms cold condensation every time. I'd def like more of your experiments with your car and the AEM kit!

changchewsoon
07-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Hey me too! I'm too using the smallest size nozzle that came with the kit. We're thinking of starting injection from 4psi onwards and full at 10psi.

condensation?? oh wow...that is really something! i didn't notice any condensation on my pipings. i purchased the water/methanol mixture from my tuner as he stocks racing fuel in barrels and methanol is just one of the barrels he keeps in his warehouse together with the racing fuel.

i wonder whether the quality of the methanol makes any different or methanol is just methanol?

im glad to know there are others out there using it in their car too! your blitz kit is damn sexyyy!

Morgan
07-03-2009, 01:23 PM
changchewsoon - I think that partially the 80% humidity helps out with my condensation claim to fame, but its at least a 100* temp differential according to the laser thermometer. Oh and as for quality of methanol, I was using "gas line dryer" aka "HEET" and since switching to mass purchased methanol, I haven't really noticed too much of a difference. Thanks!!!

echo - yes! after the MAF but before the throttle body, so either behind (since there is a sticker there) or right where the sticker is would be perfect... on mine, the intake setup I currently have (that I hate) I have about 1.5" of room to do anything with, but I made it work

Just a hint but try to angle the injector as much as possible AWAY from the MAF and towards the TB. I got about a 45* angle on my injector without too much hassle, if you can only get it dead on and directly in, its not a huge problem cause the supercharger creates A LOT of suction :) oh and to make sure I'm not spraying all the time my "start" psi for injection is set higher than 1-2psi, that way you dont pool mix while at idle or ultra low boost... hope that helps!

Morgan
07-03-2009, 06:21 PM
yeah I've considered that as well, but it threaded into the pipe I had really well and so far it works very reliably

changchewsoon
07-04-2009, 03:42 AM
hurray for water/methanol injection!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Morgan
07-04-2009, 11:39 AM
exactly, it way cheaper than fabricating an intercooler on the blitz and way more efficient!

cali yaris
07-04-2009, 01:57 PM
I may have to jump on board for this. Probably would be good for safer drag racing.

Morgan
07-07-2009, 07:58 PM
hurray for water/methanol injection!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

ehh needed a mildly relevant post to start this one with

so here is where my nozzle is, I remembered that I changed the angle on injector so that it was more level with the tubing - so here it is!
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/faux_leopard/yaris%20pictures/fusible%20block/IMG_0434.jpg

ps I hate my intake... but I'm stuck to some extent with an xA/xB throttle body location in a yaris... custom intake it is!

Morgan
07-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Summit Racing sells the aem for $399 USD and if you order early enough in the day they ship it out the day you place the order, but if you can find it that cheap locally, go for it! (Summit doesnt charge for shipping on anything over like $200... but local convenience is nice!)

Morgan
07-08-2009, 12:29 AM
yeah, I get spoiled by them cause stuff comes next day for free... your deal locally definitely seems to be pretty good

Morgan
07-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Installed a boost gauge for testing purposes and mine holds 8psi and spikes to 9.... with the belt slipping!

LtNoogie
07-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Ok, I'm ordering mine this week. I'm sold on it. I read somewhere that you want max injection when boost first cuts in because the engine load is highest when you are switching from n/a to boosted operations and are undergoing the highest acceleration.

I'll try to find that link again

Morgan
07-26-2009, 03:05 PM
the water methanol kit I'm assuming?.... :smile:

LtNoogie
07-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Yes. I'm waiting for a price quote from a local vendor. Otherwise, I'll go to Summit. Once the kit is installed, I'll schedule a dyno day.

Have you autox'd with your setup?

Morgan
07-26-2009, 03:31 PM
yeah get up on the dyno, I'm really trying to get something together in my area so I don't have to pay for time all by my lonesome - but this county is lame...

I have autox'd my car since the supercharger, but I feel like I'm almost slower than before. By that I mean, I was placing 1st-2nd in STS and I'm still faster than anything in STS but I jumped to SM and am finishing last-second to last :frown: but that was to be expected.

I also added R-Comps (thanks Tamago!). Tires have COMPLETELY changed how I drive the car so adjusting to the extra power (I can actually use my brakes now, lol) and the R-Comps (no slippery driving) has been quite a shock to the system.

Overall, its a nice change but I do miss beating everyone with the stock engine... now they all justify me beating them because of the +30hp :rolleyes:... obviously not because I'm a fairly decent driver

PETERPOOP
07-26-2009, 03:36 PM
i'm jealous. hawaii doesn't sell -20f windshield wiper fluid; nor do they ship it or boost juice to hawaii. wah wah

Morgan
07-26-2009, 03:47 PM
http://ec-images.acehardwareoutlet.com/225/products/80324h.jpg

99.99% methanol :thumbup:

but you may want to check an auto parts store, several of them close to me carry it in bulk - $5/gallon > $1.99/12oz

PETERPOOP
07-26-2009, 05:07 PM
yah i knew about that option, but wasn't very excited about it. i was more interested in the $1.?? option with the windshield wiper fluid.

How big was your tank for the AEM meth kit?

EDIT: I looked online and saw it comes with 1 gallon tank, or you can purchase the bigger 5 gallon tank. How long would a 1 gallon tank of meth/water mixture last? One full tank of gas? Longer? Shorter? Thanks.

Morgan
07-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Umm... well it depends on how you drive!

...and how much you drive. :biggrin:

However, I deliver pizza and have it set to 25% and have my fun at work (legally and safely, of course!) and my 1 gallon tank [50/50 mix] lasts me a good couple of nights at work, so I'd guess maybe 400 miles (+/- 100 miles). The AEM kit has a progressive nozzle and you can set it to not spray as much, but mine is almost always spraying the max for the little injector.

To be quite honest, I've been out and about and made due with straight water. Its really not a noticeable difference and the whole kit is about safety not power for me right now. Either way, if you were less aggressive and had it set to 75% the 1 gallon would easily last 2 weeks ~ 600-700 miles.

PETERPOOP
07-26-2009, 10:00 PM
well i drive pretty conservatively and only manage about 300 miles if that on a full tank. so to know that the 1 gallon of meth/water can last atleast a tank of gas, that's comforting.

I was wondering about running just water in there too. Glad to know that's fine to do that. Same like you, my climate is very hot here. To have the insurance of knowing what the meth kit is doing, that is nice to know.

Morgan
07-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Whenever I run across a 'spare' $600 to rent the dyno I'll try to get some numbers up for water vs water/meth - til then I can only give you a rough guess, but I hope it helps :)

cali yaris
07-27-2009, 12:47 AM
$600 buys what? Are you talking about tuning time, or 3 pulls to see how you're doing?

just curious

PETERPOOP
07-27-2009, 01:58 AM
yah serious, because if it's $600 for three pulls with AFR.....OUCH!

Tamago
07-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Whenever I run across a 'spare' $600 to rent the dyno I'll try to get some numbers up for water vs water/meth - til then I can only give you a rough guess, but I hope it helps :)

come down here, my shop is 1 block from where i dyno'd my car back in the day. cost me $35 iirc (dyno day though) i'm sure they'd do it for $60 for 3 pulls

Morgan
07-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Unless you have a 68 Stingray or any year Mustang they charge a ridiculous fee. One shop told me they have to "work on my car prior to dyno time" that they would still charge me for - sorry my car's not a pos that has to be tuned every year :rolleyes: it's really just Panama City being lame once again :/

Ps- I really just want to see where I'm at there's not anything to tune really, except concentrations but either way my curiosity is going to cost ... As it stands I'm trying to get a group of people to go so we can split a days rental fee

PETERPOOP
07-27-2009, 09:25 PM
wow. that is GAY

LtNoogie
07-27-2009, 09:51 PM
I pay $95 for three pulls

Morgan
07-27-2009, 11:35 PM
The mustang dyno place was quite nice actually, but they still told me no... the other place insinuated that I was an idiot for supercharging such a inferior car, which was a lovely thing to hear on the receiving end. Oh well, maybe I can dig around the FL panhandle and try to find someone hosting a dyno day in the near future :smile:

LtNoogie
07-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Have you looked into these guys? They use the Dynojet dyno which I have my car done on. They're in Ft. Walton Beach.

http://rpmperformance1.com/

Morgan
07-28-2009, 02:03 AM
yeah as of today I started checking around nearby places (Tallahassee/Ft. Walton/Pensacola) for dyno's

thanks for the link, I hadn't seen those guys yet

LtNoogie
08-06-2009, 06:29 PM
My AEM water/meth injection kit arrived!:thumbup:

Now, I just need to find the time to install it.

LtNoogie
08-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Make sure to do a good DIY for this one, LtNoogie; I have my kit sitting in my garage ready to install when I feel up to it...:biggrin:

Cheers

Hmmm, I was waiting for yours. :smile:

My projects seem to take much longer and use more tools than most people's. Not that there's anything wrong with buying more tools.

kurokoma-kun
08-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Cool, good luck you guys! Happy tool collecting :wink:

Parmas
08-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Seeing this thread makes me wonder on using water injection on my yaris..

Although I am not quite familiar how exactly works in terms of electronic connections. Morgan can you brief some points regarding wiring etc..

Morgan
08-09-2009, 07:49 PM
the wiring is fairly simple, power source for the pump, power source for the float switch (low mixture level sensor), power for the control box (allows you to adjust start psi and full psi), vacuum line to read pressure, ground and I think that was it - when we did the install, the water injection was pretty easy to wire in.

The hardest part was figuring out where to put the tank, the yaris has no good room up front and I just put mine on the back of the rear seat - I love having it there, its way easy to fill up, easy to check the level, hoses all conveniently tuck into the interior right hand side plastics and I've got quick connectors for the float switch and a shut off valve for the tank so I can take it out if needed...

If you can handle the blitz install, the aem is a piece of cake - and as of recently make a good port for a boost gauge :smile:

Parmas
08-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the info will try to find one in the uk to save on shipping...

BTW nice clean setup you have there!

thebarber
09-18-2009, 02:35 PM
have xa and yaris wiring diagrams i could take a look at?

where did you get the star board from?

Morgan
10-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the info will try to find one in the uk to save on shipping...

BTW nice clean setup you have there!

Thanks, it was a lot of work up front but it all paid off, do your prep work, solder all connections, take your time and you'll be fine

have xa and yaris wiring diagrams i could take a look at?

where did you get the star board from?

blitz has directions for both set ups, and I just googled the xa info and garm has a set of the yaris ecu wiring (if he doesn't then etimago has a website where you can find it)

the starboard came from a local marine supply shop, you can find it online - I got the 3/4" stuff and still have some left after buying a 24"x36" piece

------------------------------

on a more recent addition to my car, here is a crappy video with interesting noises for all who are bored :smile:

Mobile, AL tunnel a few weeks ago (http://tinyurl.com/yk7mtvq)

Morgan
02-13-2010, 01:38 PM
This kit is sold and I hope the next owner can dyno it to see what it can do. I have my car back to "normal" and am remembering the fun of a 106 hp. Can't wait to get back down to ST in autocross, for now I have some RComps to burn through so hello FSP :smile: