PDA

View Full Version : What alignment do you need after lowering spring and shock/strut install?

detroiter
05-07-2009, 01:26 AM
Just wanted to make sure what alignment it is that you run with after installing lowering springs and upgraded shocks/struts, is it just the regular factory alignment specs? And how soon after is safe to get an alignment? Last thing I want to do is get one too soon then have to go get another once the springs settle in more.

cali yaris
05-07-2009, 01:34 AM
I've waited months before. A little negative camber in the front would be good.

YarisSedan
05-07-2009, 02:02 AM
been like 9 months still havent got a alignment lol

detroiter
05-07-2009, 09:57 AM
I can understand installing the springs that you might be able to go without one for a while, but what about the shocks and struts too...changing both wouldn't throw the alignment off big time right away? I'm changing bother springs and shocks this weekend hopefully....and again, is it factory specs that you run with when it's time? Thanks guys

YarisSedan
05-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Well your alignment is oing to be slightly off either way cause u stil have to remove the struts to change the springs. The rear is solid axle so no adjustments anyways nor should they go out of spec.

Front i used a angle finder that is magnetically held in place to the brake rotor so you install the strut in the exactly same position so you wont really need alignment when your done.

Loren
05-07-2009, 11:10 AM
The rear alignment doesn't change with ride height or with replacement of shocks. Unless you've bent something or are going for an extreme performance alignment, you don't need to worry about it.

The front camber will change anytime you change the ride height of the front of the car. Changes in camber create changes in toe. Improper toe settings are really bad for tire wear.

Back to the OP's question, the alignment you need depends on how you intend to use the car. If you're the average driver, then stick with the factory specs. If you corner aggressively or drive mountain roads regularly, or autocross regularly, then you would benefit from more negative camber in front. How much depends on you and your driving style. -2 to -2.5 degrees is not unheard of, but it is on the "extreme" side. -1.5 or so is probably a good place to start.

Always go with a little bit of toe-in up front to keep the car from wandering too much in a straight line.

detroiter
05-07-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm just going to be driving it "normal" on the roads with some AGGRESSIVE fun every now and then. I'd imaging the factory specs will be just fine. Thanks for your guys insight, appreciate it.

fuji
05-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Do a search for one of Loren's previous threads. There was a thread previously which did a fantastic job describing toe, camber, etc.