PDA

View Full Version : Under bumper scratch

Lowfront
09-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Someone made a big mistake today and left one of these coblestone pieces over by where I park. I ended up running over it right at the point where I stop. Didn't even notice anything happend till I just walked to the car and saw the stone wedged inbetween the driveway and car.

Backed up....

And I now have these nasty deep stratches under my front bumper. I'm so upset right now I feel like my baby was just beat up.

Now, what should I do about it. Should I take it somewhere and have them take care of it for the big bucks. Or is there somthing I could do myslef. I really don't care about the looks of it because you can't see it unless your on your knees looking. But I do care about rust and such.

I don't know, Your thoughts, sorry for long post

Yaris_PR
09-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Well I'm waiting for answers too. I have the same problem.

ECHOKnight2000
09-11-2006, 11:09 PM
If its just sctratches you could buff it out? It really depends on how deep they are, I'm guessing the most you can do is wax/buff it out so its less visible otherwise you might have no other choice to get a different bumper which is $$$...although you said it was just the bumper? Isn't it plastic? I don't know...if it is then I guess you won't have to worry about rust. I'm not sure about the Yaris though. Sorry to hear about it and hopefully that gives you somewhat of an idea although probably not the best. Good luck!:thumbsup:

mikeukrainetz
09-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Use some cat hair fiberglass...

Sand the area with 80 grit then 150, mix up some of the fiberglass and spread over the area really thin (most of the 'hair' will come off). Sand down again with 80 grit and up to 200. Sanding with anything up to 1200grit might be required. Prime obviously. Mask off the area and paint yourself... colour sand and clear.
We can get small airbrushes here for like 20 bucks, just use the touch up paint from Toyota...

Of course this is all fine and good if the scratches are HUGE deep.... otherwise just use glaze putty and follow same steps. A body shop will charge you like 300 bucks or more...

johnnyfive
09-12-2006, 12:51 AM
i got crazy scratches on my front lip...none you can see unless you are laying on the ground, on your back, and ill just leave them...plastic wont rust, and if i get anything that is to visable, just means time for a body kit :)

jonr0613
09-12-2006, 06:59 AM
got the same problem here....but i guess the bumpers are plastic so we don't have to worry about the rust:cool: ....

vodkalush
09-12-2006, 07:17 AM
they may not rust, but the paint will peel over time.

mikeukrainetz
09-12-2006, 12:51 PM
exactly,

plus you end up getting more and more casual about the condition of your ride.

07WYarisRS
09-12-2006, 12:58 PM
For most deep scratches I'll start by wet sanding the area around the scratch lightly with 800 grit. Make sure there are no burrs in the scratsh that will sit higher then the undamaged area.

Then use a paint touch up pen/brush and fill in the scartch. This may take several coats. Try not to get any paint on the area not scratched, just fill in the scratch. Once it has dried overnight use a fine point sanding pen or a piece of folded sand paper and lightly sand the filled scratch to beld it to the same height as the undamaged area then lightly wetsand the entire area with 1000 grit to blend the scratch with the undamged paint. Do not chase any low spots, instead fill them and re sand.
Remember you don't have to sand the undamaged area very much before you go through the paint so focus all your sanding on the scratch and do as little sanding as possible to blend it.
Once it's blended use ScratchX on a clean rag to buff out the dull paint left from wet sanding.

Alway wet sand and add a little dish soap to the water as a lubricant.