PDA

View Full Version : Is aftermarket HID kit legal (in NJ)?

Jfoofoo
09-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Ok.. so I am getting hooked up by Chris for my first True HID kit.. I am all giddy about it.. so I was doing as much read up on HID kit as I can on the net.. than I found some people say the aftermarket HID kit are illegal? is that true? can someone give me an answer?

johnnyfive
09-12-2006, 02:35 AM
its true ;)

Jfoofoo
09-12-2006, 09:06 AM
I can't seems to find an actual answer on this. Many sites I read up says it's illegal but they are all dated back 2004. Has the law changed since? How does a cop determine if your light is aftermarket kit or factory installed? If I can pass the state inspection with it.. does that mean it's legal to drive with it?

jmew0ng
09-12-2006, 11:09 PM
don't some cars come with HID stock? like the maxima or prius?

I think it's just the intensity of the lightbulb that may be illegal or not.

johnnyfive
09-13-2006, 12:58 AM
its the fitting of it yourself, and it being not fit with them from the factory that is illegal, not the lights themselfs

that is what hid bulbs can be listed as DOT approved, but you just cant put them in a car that did not have them from the factory

sam07yaris
09-14-2006, 09:08 PM
its the fitting of it yourself, and it being not fit with them from the factory that is illegal, not the lights themselfs

that is what hit bulbs can be listed as DOT approved, but you just cant put them in a car that did not have them from the factory

yup I agree. check out Yaris H.I.D. retrofit under Photo Media. I did it with OEM H.I.D. parts. Parts that came off from cars like Acura tsx, and TL as well as BMW. I didn't slap an H.I.D. bulb into my headlight and claim its H.I.D. I had to retrofit it. Check out the pics under that thread.

Jfoofoo
09-14-2006, 09:49 PM

that is what hid bulbs can be listed as DOT approved, but you just cant put them in a car that did not have them from the factory
So if a dealer fitted for me does that make it legal?

johnnyfive
09-14-2006, 10:58 PM
probably not, but no dealer would :)

SimmZ
09-15-2006, 08:10 AM
Well, it's probably depend on your local laws. But yes, in most of states and in most provinces of Canada, aftermarket HID are illegal. I already take a warning from the cops for using some kind of HID Xenon filled bulbs on my car. They don't give me a ticket, but they told me to put OEM bulbs back on my car because HID and HID's style bulbs are illegal. And it's not hard for a cop to know than a Yaris they see on the road (cheapest Toyota car) are not coming from factory with HID! hehe.

Chris07LB
09-15-2006, 07:33 PM
A system that is setup correctly, and not some ricey looking color like bright teal blue or pink (higher K rated HIDs), you will not draw unwanted attention and have problems.

Look around you, do you think all these cars you see, actually came with HID's? :iono: Cops dont carry a booklet saying which cars come with and without HIDs, in order to write tickets.

If they are positioned correctly, they will not draw attention as they will not be blinding or be a hazard to other drivers. Lucky for us, the Yaris puts out a very good cut-off pattern for not having projectors with the HIDs.

Yes I adjusted mine correctly, and Ill be damned if more cars that come STOCK with oem HIDs, blind the fu*k out of ME on the highway! :rolleyes:

sam07yaris
09-16-2006, 10:46 AM
A system that is setup correctly, and not some ricey looking color like bright teal blue or pink (higher K rated HIDs), you will not draw unwanted attention and have problems.

Look around you, do you think all these cars you see, actually came with HID's? :iono: Cops dont carry a booklet saying which cars come with and without HIDs, in order to write tickets.

If they are positioned correctly, they will not draw attention as they will not be blinding or be a hazard to other drivers. Lucky for us, the Yaris puts out a very good cut-off pattern for not having projectors with the HIDs.

Yes I adjusted mine correctly, and Ill be damned if more cars that come STOCK with oem HIDs, blind the fu*k out of ME on the highway! :rolleyes:

Actually the Yaris headlight has an H.I.D. Ballast location as well as a classification which is a D4R H.I.D. bulb. YOu know how some headlights say H4, 9006 in the back? Well, I have to do some thorough research on why they have a Denso ballast location with screw holes as well as the D4R tag written on it. I think we will have a Prius setup.

As for the cops, they know if you have an H.I.D. kit thats illegal. BLUE LIGHTS, extremely bright and blinding everybody.
HID KITS are ILLEGAL if not installed correctly and its blinding everybody.

Since I did my retrofit the RIGHT WAY I've been driving mine for abot 2 months now on my Yaris and nobody has ever pulled me over. ;) perfect alignment. Anywho, I am gonna do another retro in the future but using TL projectors this time. Wait N SEE!

Chris07LB
09-16-2006, 06:48 PM

Hence the POINT of my post above... Also, if you look in the shop manuals, you will see the write up on how our headlights are designed to reflect from the diffuser, to the inside corner of the headlight assy., and not the center of the lamp. It mentioned about "hot spotting" the housing.

Your setup is the best way to go, Id love to do that as well. For now, this is a huge improvement, and it staying put.

manborn
09-30-2006, 11:27 AM

yah, just point them down. i dont understand why people install aftermarket HIDs to give u better lighting on pot holes a night but they position them UP, wtf?!?

jeff_o
09-30-2006, 11:47 AM
i din't knew aftermarket HIDs were illegal... aside from the fact that if they are pointed a lil upward it'll blind inoming traffic... but why is blue headlights illegal? someone enlighten me.

i've read on some post that white lights are dangerous in rain than yellow lights because they streak up everything. is this true?

IsLNdbOi
09-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Actually the Yaris headlight has an H.I.D. Ballast location as well as a classification which is a D4R H.I.D. bulb. YOu know how some headlights say H4, 9006 in the back? Well, I have to do some thorough research on why they have a Denso ballast location with screw holes as well as the D4R tag written on it. I think we will have a Prius setup.

As for the cops, they know if you have an H.I.D. kit thats illegal. BLUE LIGHTS, extremely bright and blinding everybody.

Since I did my retrofit the RIGHT WAY I've been driving mine for abot 2 months now on my Yaris and nobody has ever pulled me over. ;) perfect alignment. Anywho, I am gonna do another retro in the future but using TL projectors this time. Wait N SEE!

I can get my hands on some Denso ballasts that have the Toyota name on them. Do you know if the liftback has the ballast location as well?

sam07yaris
09-30-2006, 06:06 PM
I can get my hands on some Denso ballasts that have the Toyota name on them. Do you know if the liftback has the ballast location as well?

take off your headlight and check. If there is a rectangular placement then yeah. That's what I am going to do, BUT I am going to mod my bosch ballast it's intensity.

IsLNdbOi
09-30-2006, 06:32 PM
BUT I am going to mod my bosch ballast it's intensity.

What are you going to mod your ballast for?

Chris07LB
10-01-2006, 06:01 AM
Better question is, how do you expect to mod a ballast? :confused:

paultyler_82
10-01-2006, 06:36 AM
check HIDPlanet, Chris, there are ways to mod ballasts for more power and such, you'll burn the ballast out quicker, but it can be done.

paultyler_82
10-01-2006, 06:38 AM

Whoa... I must have missed this... you put the Prius HID setup into your Yaris? And did the D4Rs just fit without modification?

Chris07LB
10-01-2006, 11:16 AM
check HIDPlanet, Chris, there are ways to mod ballasts for more power and such, you'll burn the ballast out quicker, but it can be done.

With so many good quality kits out there, outweighting the bad junk, you shouldnt have to deal with a shorter life spand modded ballast.. just looking out for ya is all.

I have seen the washer mods for projectors, but I have yet to see anything on modding ballasts.:confused: I think id just leave well enough alone in that area.

paultyler_82
10-02-2006, 04:08 AM
With so many good quality kits out there, outweighting the bad junk, you shouldnt have to deal with a shorter life spand modded ballast.. just looking out for ya is all.

I have seen the washer mods for projectors, but I have yet to see anything on modding ballasts.:confused: I think id just leave well enough alone in that area.

There are actually people who are modding Denso and other OEM ballasts as well, not sure what the benefits are, but then, some people don't know how to leave well enough alone.

manborn
03-19-2009, 07:03 AM

http://yarisworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1480&stc=1&d=1158363151

are those 8000k? they look very good

manborn
03-19-2009, 08:39 AM
i just thought someone can shed some light on the subject or maybe Chris himself. i apologize

BLAZINBLUEVITZ
03-19-2009, 08:41 AM

HMMM, my friend with an rsx recently went to get his car inspected and he's from jersey and they failed him CAUSE of his hid setup. so cops may not mess with you but good luck when it comes time for that yearly chore.....

manborn
03-19-2009, 02:05 PM
HMMM, my friend with an rsx recently went to get his car inspected and he's from jersey and they failed him CAUSE of his hid setup. so cops may not mess with you but good luck when it comes time for that yearly chore.....

if i get them, i was just gonna keep my stock bulbs/spare boots handy. then swap when time for inspection

im wondering if Chris has projectors with his cause the beam on his headlights are pretty precise, you can actually tell the line where the light separates from what is beamed and what is not. look at the pic i quoted previously.