PDA

View Full Version : Which front bar do you prefer? Strut or Sway?

TitaniumBarbell
05-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Hi to everybody! :wink:

Recently, I installed rear TRD Sway Bar and I'm satisfied of the new handling car. although sacrificed a little pounds.

I'm thinking to acquire a front bar. Which bar do you recommend me? Front Strut bar or Front Sway bar? I'm thinking both bars do practically the same thing, or I'm wrong?

Thanks!

Front Strut Bar:
http://joelitton.net/images/yaris/tanabe1.jpg
http://www.ultraracing.com.my/vgreenwap/image/model/Toyota/Toyota%20yaris%20front.JPG

Front Sway Bar:
http://www.c-one.co.jp/07image/stabi_noah-f.jpg
http://aoesuspension.com/images/YARIS.gif

1NZYaris1
05-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Why not open a can of worm's .
first off you already have a front sway bar installed
so i would put a strut bar on , feel the differance then the heavier sway bar and sway bar links .
my 2 cents worth :thumbup:

TitaniumBarbell
05-10-2009, 01:42 AM
Why not open a can of worm's .
first off you already have a front sway bar installed
so i would put a strut bar on , feel the differance then the heavier sway bar and sway bar links .
my 2 cents worth :thumbup:

No, I don't have a front sway bar, I have a rear sway bar...

Deltasix
05-10-2009, 01:46 AM
Pretty sure the Yaris comes with a front sway bar, so you already have one. I'd go with the strut tower brace, I have that and a rear sway and, for an aggressive daily driver, it handles quite well.

cali yaris
05-10-2009, 01:46 AM
Clarity:

1. The Yaris comes with a front sway bar, but no rear sway bar. You added a rear (good choice!), you already have a front one. Making the front one thicker will not be a good idea in terms of handling at this time (there IS a time and place to upgrade that).

2. The front strut tower brace might help under extreme cornering conditions, but it does not serve the same function as a front sway bar (which you already have, in stock form).

TitaniumBarbell
05-10-2009, 03:18 AM
Thanks Garm and Deltasix for your information!

AlainMikli
05-10-2009, 05:36 AM
Clarity:

1. The Yaris comes with a front sway bar, but no rear sway bar. You added a rear (good choice!), you already have a front one. Making the front one thicker will not be a good idea in terms of handling at this time (there IS a time and place to upgrade that).

2. The front strut tower brace might help under extreme cornering conditions, but it does not serve the same function as a front sway bar (which you already have, in stock form).

Very Detail:tongue:

I'll perfer Front Strut Bar Too....

Russelt3hPirate
05-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Clarity:

why do you say not to install a larger front bar?

macpherson struts are known to have terrible camber curves and a larger front sway bar can help maintain camber during compression allowing for INCREASED front grip.

Strut Tower bars do very little except look pretty (on the Yaris).

swaybars have the chance to drastically change the handling of the Yaris.

Tamago
05-11-2009, 04:11 PM
larger front swaybar on a mac-strut, open differential'd yaris is going to make you SLOWER on the track.

Russelt3hPirate
05-11-2009, 04:13 PM
hmm, I guess i could see your point regarding the diff.

has anyone really tried a larger front sway on the Yaris?

severous01
05-11-2009, 07:47 PM
sway bars counteract body roll.

stb counteracts misalignment and movement of the front struts in uni-body cars. and doesnt really affect suspension like a sway bar...in hard cornering and large bumps the top-mounts of the struts actually move. the stb can save your windshield in serious cornering...that's about it. also reduces fatigue in the metal where the struts mount, and relieves stress where it WOULD flex if not stb was used.

akirawm
10-15-2009, 11:43 PM
nice strut bar

thebarber
10-15-2009, 11:46 PM
arent the strut tower's attached to the firewall? upper strut bar won't do anything....

YarisSedan
10-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Hmm i noticed a really huge difference when i installed my front strut bar. I have the tannabe one. Especially on sharp turns and corners.

ddongbap
10-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Speed increases G forces.

MUSKOKA800
10-16-2009, 07:36 AM
arent the strut tower's attached to the firewall? upper strut bar won't do anything....

My thoughts exactly. Some vehicles had shock towers farther out from the firewall with only the fenders to support them. In these cases a strut bar is essential. Our Yaris' upper strut mounts being intregal to the firewall make them very well supported. Sure, a bar may be some insurance and they certainly look pretty, but far less important than in many other applications.
A cosmetic upgrade perhaps???
Interestingly, past forum comments by those who have installed them range from 'no noticable difference' to 'a huge improvement'. :iono:

Tamago
10-16-2009, 07:42 AM
go read the suspension guide folks.

YarisSedan
10-16-2009, 11:52 AM
My thoughts exactly. Some vehicles had shock towers farther out from the firewall with only the fenders to support them. In these cases a strut bar is essential. Our Yaris' upper strut mounts being intregal to the firewall make them very well supported. Sure, a bar may be some insurance and they certainly look pretty, but far less important than in many other applications.
A cosmetic upgrade perhaps???
Interestingly, past forum comments by those who have installed them range from 'no noticable difference' to 'a huge improvement'. :iono:

I think it really comes down to how you drive your car. And what you expect out of it for the particular driver you are. The typical driver may not feel a mod such as a strut bar while the more agressive driver will. But the sway bar is something that you feel even when not driving agressively. Which is why more people can feel it and give positive response.