PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Manifold thread

Sabretooth
05-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Ok, heres my situation.

I am starting to put together a turbo kit for the Yaris, most of it will end up just being bits and ends here and there. Number one thing in mind is keeping costs below $2500 for an Intercooled setup.

My goals:
Cost at or just above $2500
No engine management
6PSI
Intercooled
Power goal: 160whp

Should be obtainable reasonably.
Step 1 was finding a turbo manifold for the car, so I started rooting around and found 2 options. Turbotoyotas.com manifold, then this sucker.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-06-SCION-XB-XA-1-5L-CAST-T25-TURBO-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c6 6Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c 293Q3a2Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhash Zitem4ce93adeabQQitemZ330330463915QQptZMotorsQ5fCa rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Its a cast iron piece, set for a T25/GT28 Turbo. OEM fitment. Only issue, its a Scion Xb/Xa Manifold.

Pics:
http://trendgears.com/ebay/TacoTacoNew/TurboAccessories/Manifold/BMF-T25XB.jpg

http://trendgears.com/ebay/TacoTacoNew/TurboAccessories/Manifold/BMF-T25XB4.jpg

http://trendgears.com/ebay/TacoTacoNew/TurboAccessories/Manifold/BMF-T25XB2.jpg

http://trendgears.com/ebay/TacoTacoNew/TurboAccessories/Manifold/BMF-T25XB3.jpg

Any suggestions?

gwasabi
05-17-2009, 09:17 PM
You get what you pay for! lol

Sabretooth
05-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Well I know that, just wondering if a cast iron part is better off than a welded one.

lol, just as a warning, Tamago is gonna have a field day with your statement if he finds it.

cdydjded
05-17-2009, 10:45 PM
That manifold will bolt right up. The problem MIGHT be the position & angle of the turbo. I think it will be to much towards the drivers side & the angle is to much towards the firewall. Only way to see if it will work is to but it & buy the turbo you are going to use & test fit it.

Sabretooth
05-17-2009, 10:57 PM
I might just buy it anyway...
Only way someone will know is to test it.

turboecho2005
05-18-2009, 12:26 AM
http://www.turbinetech.ca/produit_detail.php?id=32&SESSID=55ec154e6d83a38c8a24a87856ac096c&lang=AN

You can ask about fitting it on the yaris... but this will also bolt up and its equal length...

cali yaris
05-18-2009, 12:58 AM
Remember how you had to remove your power steering to make room for that?

We have electronic p/s on our cars, so I think Jess' mani would fit just fine. Overkill for 6 psi though.

gwasabi
05-18-2009, 02:21 AM
Well I know that, just wondering if a cast iron part is better off than a welded one.

lol, just as a warning, Tamago is gonna have a field day with your statement if he finds it.

i know that guy is always on my ass.

battleversiontc
05-18-2009, 05:35 AM
cast is better then welded can stand up to the heat but welded you can atleast reposition the angle. and the cast supposedly flows worse cause stay all ruff and whatevers inside not as clean as welded

cdydjded
05-18-2009, 09:28 AM
http://www.turbinetech.ca/produit_detail.php?id=32&SESSID=55ec154e6d83a38c8a24a87856ac096c&lang=AN

You can ask about fitting it on the yaris... but this will also bolt up and its equal length...

This manifold wont work, the A/C lines from the firewall would be in the way.

Tamago
05-18-2009, 10:20 AM
i know that guy is always on my ass.

you bring it on yourself

cali yaris
05-18-2009, 11:28 AM
This manifold wont work, the A/C lines from the firewall would be in the way.

What if you don't have A/C lines? :biggrin: -- I don't.

Tamago
05-18-2009, 11:49 AM
What is you don't have A/C lines? :biggrin: -- I don't.

still don't understand why you'd do that...... delete something that doesn't need to be deleted..

cali yaris
05-18-2009, 11:53 AM
^ You've made that opinion clear before. If you ever ask a question instead, I'd be happy to answer it.

cdydjded
05-18-2009, 11:57 AM
What if you don't have A/C lines? :biggrin: -- I don't.

No A/C lines, then I think there will be no problem

Tamago
05-18-2009, 11:58 AM
^ You've made that opinion clear before. If you ever ask a question instead, I'd be happy to answer it.

why?

gwasabi
05-18-2009, 12:15 PM
you bring it on yourself
lol you dont have to comment on everything i say though. maybe like once in a while ignore me? lol

Thsat turbine tech one looks like its going up? i dunno lol

cali yaris
05-18-2009, 02:13 PM
why?

1. I never, ever use my a/c so i have no need for it.
2. I'm saving 18 pounds of weight and clearing out the engine bay.
3. I'm trying to squeeze every horsepower I can out of this motor, and however small, this will make a difference. (yes, I know there are a lot more things I can do in this regard)
4. This gets the condenser out of the way of the radiator, easier to fab/install a custom radiator later.
5. I'm also converting the water pump to electric, so I want to see what the car is like with just two pulleys.
6. A panda on the hood is not "needed" either, but it's what you like -- this is what I like.

Tamago
05-18-2009, 03:40 PM
lol you dont have to comment on everything i say though. maybe like once in a while ignore me? lol

Thsat turbine tech one looks like its going up? i dunno lol

i ignored your original comment, didn't i?

CASTREX
05-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Back on topic....

You can get the bends and turbo flangers here:

http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/index2.html

You would only need take out the OE exhaust manifold and take it to a shop to have the engine flanger done and welded to the rest...

You can duplicate the manifold design from Turbotoyotas (Cali's manifold) simple and functional.

Sure an EL mani is cool... but hard to fit on a Yaris and not really needed for the low boost levels this engine will ever see...

... And regarding the Cast vs welded tubular design.

Cast manifolds will always beat the tubulars on reliability and longevity that's why must of the OE turbo cars use as cast manifold. nothing wrong with them.

Tubular welded manifolds will usually flow better and provided more power... plus they look nicer.

But then again, all this is irrelevant at the boost levels this engine will see...

Russelt3hPirate
05-18-2009, 06:05 PM
why intercool it?

might as well make things easier and not intercool.

it'd be a lot cheaper too.

Tamago
05-18-2009, 07:08 PM
why intercool it?

a car isn't turbo unless it has an intercooler. and it's not making real power unless it's a front mount.

didn't you know?

Nexus1155
05-18-2009, 07:21 PM
loloolol, we don't know if you'll get det though from not running and intercooler... holdeners kit blew the engine when he was close to done tuning it with no intercooler...

Next im sure well get someone in here saying 6psi on a GT20 is the same as 6psi on a GT30 :D

cdydjded
05-18-2009, 07:50 PM
why intercool it?

Safer, makes more power, less likely for detination, easier is not better, what is cheap now will cost you more later

Tamago
05-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Safer, makes more power, less likely for detination, easier is not better, what is cheap now will cost you more later

6psi, intercooler is a waste.

run meth injection instead.

Tamago
05-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Next im sure well get someone in here saying 6psi on a GT20 is the same as 6psi on a GT30 :D

not from me you won't

Nexus1155
05-18-2009, 08:28 PM
hahaha i really lol'ed when i read that tamago....... but he's got a point, meth injection would be a feasable option to stabilize the balance, it would be about the same amount of money it would cost for an intercooler and piping, if not less. AND it would be less charge travel through pipes so not much efficiency loss... I say he's got a damn good point...

Tamago
05-18-2009, 08:38 PM
=what is cheap now will cost you more later

you mean something along the lines of running half an FIC and unplugging the stock o2 sensor?

cdydjded
05-18-2009, 08:39 PM
6psi, intercooler is a waste.

run meth injection instead.

A front mount does not need to be refilled, I think the waste would be refilling that little bottle every other day. Your comment makes no sense :confused:, why would a cooler, denser air charge be a a waste? Please think before you answer, I do not generalities........

Tamago
05-18-2009, 08:41 PM
A front mount does not need to be refilled, I think the waste would be refilling that little bottle every other day. Your comment makes no sense :confused:, why would a cooler, denser air charge be a a waste? Please think before you answer, I do not generalities........

let's see..

small engine

small turbo

15 feet of intercooler piping

1 psi drop thru cooler..

just to be able to say you have a front mount?

i'm not anti-intercooler, i just think front mounts are retarded in low boost applications. even the supra TT came with simple side mount intercoolers FROM THE FACTORY.

and since when does one burn through 2 gallons of water/meth every other day? you don't know anything about meth injection do you?

oh and i find it funny you say you RAN a speed shop in miami. what happened? RAN? why not RUNNING?

cdydjded
05-18-2009, 08:44 PM
you mean something along the lines of running half an FIC and unplugging the stock o2 sensor?

Listen, based on your smart ass remark I can tell you never used a FIC & have a reading comprehension problem. The FIC has 4 programable maps. Fuel, Ignition, O2 & MAF. AEM recomends to use the least amount of maps. Right now I have control of Fuel & Timing. Im not running a turbo yet so there is no need to clamp the MAF or manipulate the O20 signal. So basically its installed & works. Also I did not unplug the stock O2 sensor, I unplug the connection from the FIC to the O2.

cdydjded
05-18-2009, 08:46 PM
I dont run a speed shop anymore cuase I moved up in the world. If you want details I RUN the inventory department at Wheels Next. I also RUN my own wholesale business on the side.

Tamago
05-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Listen, based on your smart ass remark I can tell you never used a FIC & have a reading comprehension problem. The FIC has 4 programable maps. Fuel, Ignition, O2 & MAF. AEM recomends to use the least amount of maps. Right now I have control of Fuel & Timing. Im not running a turbo yet so there is no need to clamp the MAF or manipulate the O20 signal. So basically its installed & works. Also I did not unplug the stock O2 sensor, I unplug the connection from the FIC to the O2.

1. i have an FIC mounted and wired by me in my car.
2. iirc you already burned up your stock o2 sensor..

bad wiring?

cdydjded
05-18-2009, 09:00 PM
1. i have an FIC mounted and wired by me in my car.
2. iirc you already burned up your stock o2 sensor..

bad wiring?

Congratulation on havin a FIC, based on what facts do you claim I burned my O2?

Tamago
05-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Congratulation on havin a FIC, based on what facts do you claim I burned my O2?

I disconnected the connection to the O2 & still have a CEL, I might have screwed up the O2

:iono:

and what happened to you being SO SURE that i know nothing about the FIC? :laughabove:

cdydjded
05-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Is that the best you can do, answer a question with a question? Wow you owna FIC, so does that make you the King of the FIC, all hail Tamago the king of the FIC! Or can I call you "sweet egg omlet" since thats is what Tamago translates to in Japanese?

Tamago
05-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Is that the best you can do, answer a question with a question, your an empty suit

trust me, you don't want the best i can do.

good luck to you on your failing mission

PETERPOOP
05-18-2009, 10:15 PM
tamago FTL

cdydjded
05-18-2009, 10:19 PM
trust me, you don't want the best i can do.

good luck to you on your failing mission

Thats it? An ultimatum? Thats all you got? I want to see the best you can do, ohh I know you can put a panda sticker on you hood :thumbup:

Tamago
05-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Thats it? An ultimatum? Thats all you got? I want to see the best you can do, ohh I know you can put a panda sticker on you hood :thumbup:

i've already proven what i set out to prove, 65whp over stock, under $1000 spent.

and the panda is certainly not a sticker.

cdydjded
05-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Wow good job, $1000 & 65HP, congrats, woop-t-doo! So if I do 66HP @ $999 & I better than you? King Tamago? Was the panda paint by numbers then?

Tamago
05-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Wow good job, $1000 & 65HP, congrats, woop-t-doo! So if I do 66HP @ $999 & I better than you? King Tamago? Was the panda paint by numbers then?

you're joining the penis shit list.. i mean peterpoop..

g'bye and good luck yet again.. i'll keep an eye out for you looking for a replacement block after you destroy the one you're on now.

cdydjded
05-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Now you look into the future & see me destroying my block, man your good, do you speak from experience? How many blocks did your $1000 turbo kit brake?

Tamago
05-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Now you look into the future & see me destroying my block, man your good, do you speak from experience? How many blocks did your $1000 turbo kit brake?

not a one.

let's see

my kit worked.

and you're still screwing around with an FIC

me 1

you.. 0?

cdydjded
05-18-2009, 10:37 PM
OK you have 1 on me, Oh wait a minute you had the FIC in a Xa, you dont even own a Yaris, what the hell are you doing here, never heard of scionlife or clubxb? Im still screwing around cause Im doing what no one has, you accomplished what 100s have, Im an innovator, you a follower.....

Tamago
05-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Im an innovator, you a follower.....

you're innovating like crazy there :laugh:

and if i'm a follower, i would have bought a kit.

cdydjded
05-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Here is the definition for innovator, it 4 syllables, I know that might be a tough word for you:
"An innovator or pioneer in a general sense is a person or an organisation who is one of the first to do something and often opens up a new area for others and achieves an innovation"
I am the first to get the FIC to work.....you did not buy one cause your cheap!

Tamago
05-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Here is the definition for innovator, it 4 syllables, I know that might be a tough word for you:
"An innovator or pioneer in a general sense is a person or an organisation who is one of the first to do something and often opens up a new area for others and achieves an innovation"

you have NOT gotten the FIC to work. you have CEL's.

if you think what i did for my turbo setup is not innovative, then :iono: not my problem??

cdydjded
05-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Does it adjust timing yes, does it adjust fuel yes, does it work yes.....only has a 1 code which will be gone by tomorrow...

Tamago
05-18-2009, 10:58 PM
cool, good luck to you.

battleversiontc
05-18-2009, 11:18 PM
your not the first to be running it i have been running it for 2 months now successfully

Tamago
05-18-2009, 11:19 PM
your not the first to be running it i have been running it for 2 months now successfully

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooofff

battleversiontc
05-18-2009, 11:21 PM
off what im not saying i was the first im pretty sure somebody othere has successfully ran it maybe havent posted here or anywhere

cali yaris
05-19-2009, 01:18 AM
^ on a Yaris?

Parmas
05-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Ok, heres my situation.

I am starting to put together a turbo kit for the Yaris, most of it will end up just being bits and ends here and there. Number one thing in mind is keeping costs below $2500 for an Intercooled setup.

My goals:
Cost at or just above $2500
No engine management
6PSI
Intercooled
Power goal: 160whp

Should be obtainable reasonably.
Step 1 was finding a turbo manifold for the car, so I started rooting around and found 2 options. Turbotoyotas.com manifold, then this sucker.

Its a cast iron piece, set for a T25/GT28 Turbo. OEM fitment. Only issue, its a Scion Xb/Xa Manifold.

Any suggestions?

If you are interested in using a GT28 Turbo I have the turbo mainfold that came with the engine. The only reason I custom made another mainfold was because it was designed to fit left hand drive yaris. The mainfold was custom made by Jess from Turbine Tech for the echo of turboecho2005.

And btw guys don't ruin other's thread by flaming each other here :mad: :barf:

Tamago
05-19-2009, 10:39 AM
If you are interested in using a GT28 Turbo I have the turbo mainfold that came with the engine. The only reason I custom made another mainfold was because it was designed to fit left hand drive yaris. The mainfold was custom made by Jess from Turbine Tech for the echo of turboecho2005.

how much do you want for the manifold?

Sabretooth
05-19-2009, 10:45 AM

TY!

I havnt been on in 24 hours, to find a flame war has started in my semi-innocent thread...take it to a PM thread, or better yet...you guys can swap IM accounts, then flame war AIM.

Tamago
05-19-2009, 10:46 AM
TY!

I havnt been on in 24 hours, to find a flame war has started in my semi-innocent thread...

good luck hitting 160whp at 6psi with no engine management ;)

Sabretooth
05-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Well im not worried if I dont hit it, its just a benchmark that I want to hit...I am not saying that engine management wont be down the road. It wont be on the car when its first put together...just added as a later upgrade for more HP.

The point is to have somewhere to start before deciding to upgrade

Tamago
05-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Well im not worried if I dont hit it, its just a benchmark that I want to hit...I am not saying that engine management wont be down the road. It wont be on the car when its first put together...just added as a later upgrade for more HP.

The point is to have somewhere to start before deciding to upgrade

expect about 130whp

but i'll applaud you if you DO hit the ##

for the money, why not buy the HKS kit?

Sabretooth
05-19-2009, 10:50 AM
I also saying this now, to clear it up. I am not intending to make monster HP with this car, I will leave that for my next car that I aquire.

My intentions are to make this car a bit faster than what it is. Sporty-ecnobox if you must...Kinda an oxymoron tho.

Sabretooth
05-19-2009, 10:52 AM
HKS has a kit available for the US? or are you making reference to the Xb kit?

Tamago
05-19-2009, 10:53 AM
I also saying this now, to clear it up. I am not intending to make monster HP with this car, I will leave that for my next car that I aquire.

My intentions are to make this car a bit faster than what it is. Sporty-ecnobox if you must...Kinda an oxymoron tho.

so, $2500 will buy you a kit that you can use 90% of, and sell off what you don't end up using.

sounds like a better plan to me than piecing together something that you'll STILL have to have a custom downpipe made for

Tamago
05-19-2009, 10:53 AM
HKS has a kit available for the US? or are you making reference to the Xb kit?

i'm referring to the xB HKS kit.

Tamago
05-19-2009, 10:54 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/ape4x2.jpg

Sabretooth
05-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Ya the XB kit I am finding is a bit different
Even then...its only $2600, not bad for that idea that you can get rid of what you dont use and make some extra cash on it.

Sabretooth
05-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Find it cheaper than what I did, and you get a star sticker!

Parmas
05-19-2009, 11:03 AM
In my opinion here persons should suggest their opinion but they have to let others do what the person thinks is the best for them and their motor.
I don't know much about boosted motors with no ic but in this case I suggest at least a top mount ic like one of the pics attached.

The mainfold is going for $400 which within days will be inputted on ebay so if any of you is interested feel free to contact.

Russelt3hPirate
05-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Find it cheaper than what I did, and you get a star sticker!

i want a star sticker.

Sabretooth
05-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Tamago....

I am having a slight issue trying to find the EXACT kit your have listed, the one I find is like this...
http://www.fastscions.com/images/products/detail/hks_turbo_kit_scion_xB.jpg

Russelt3hPirate
05-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Tamago....

I am having a slight issue trying to find the EXACT kit your have listed, the one I find is like this...
http://www.fastscions.com/images/products/detail/hks_turbo_kit_scion_xB.jpg

that's not the xB kit.

that's the RSX kit.

the HKS site has the RSX kit listed as the "stock photo" for bolt on turbo kits. Lots of places use the wrong photo. (lazy, don't care).

RSX
http://hksusa.com/images/?id=3087

XB
http://hksusa.com/images/?id=3085

:headbang:

Sabretooth
05-19-2009, 02:00 PM
I found a Greddy Xb kit for about the same price, heres the pic...

http://www.sportcompactonly.com/images/products/1175/1175-l.jpg

Russelt3hPirate
05-19-2009, 02:02 PM
HKS kit comes with a replacement oil pan which is ftw in my book. :)

Sabretooth
05-19-2009, 02:02 PM
ty for clearing that up, if someone did buy this, they might be pissed when they feel they are missing a bunch of stuff...

cali yaris
05-19-2009, 02:19 PM
If Morgan can get an xB supercharger kit to work fine, you can get that to work fine. :thumbsup:

PLEASE BUY SOMETHING IMMEDIATELY LOL

Sabretooth
05-19-2009, 02:24 PM
lol, then loan me the rest to buy a kit.

I am doing the 'good boy' thing and researching before I buy.

Tamago
05-19-2009, 06:43 PM
froogle.com

search hks scion xb turbo

there's quite a few out there

Morgan
05-21-2009, 03:47 PM
If Morgan can get an xB supercharger kit to work fine, you can get that to work fine. :thumbsup:

PLEASE BUY SOMETHING IMMEDIATELY LOL

Yay me! Jk, have you searched used xa/xb kits? Not just hks, but greddy or something else? I just shopped around til I found something in my price range. After looking at it buying someone's used kit I really only spent $1800 shipped (retail new $4100 + shipping) for the supercharger kit, just a thought...

Sabretooth
05-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Hmm, sounds like I will be trolling Scionlife for the next couple months!