PDA

View Full Version : Why do people lower their cars?

captainm27
05-20-2009, 05:10 PM
I am just curious, what purpose does lowering your car serve? Doesn't it make it more susceptible to damage from rough roads / inclines / pot holes, etc?

Astroman
05-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Yes, there are those risks. But I'm willing to take them for the improved handling & wicked good looks. Compliments on my car have increased tenfold.

captainm27
05-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Oh ok, so handling is increased? Like, for when changing lanes in the highway, or making U-turns?

CompanyXPaladin
05-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Oh ok, so handling is increased? Like, for when changing lanes in the highway, or making U-turns?

Handling is significantly improved all around, but especially when you're doing anything but driving in a straight line. This includes (but is not limited to) auto-x, racing, highway driving, back roads driving, neighborhood driving, twisty mountain roads, city driving, and bad weather driving. It will not, however, reduce your turning circle. :wink:

marcus
05-20-2009, 05:36 PM
im scared of heights so i need to be as low as possible to the ground....

mrbond
05-20-2009, 05:51 PM
In addition to improving handling and improving the car's image, there have been articles that have shown slight improvements in gas mileage, due to less body movement during acceleration.

mikenacarato
05-20-2009, 05:58 PM
have you ever looked between the top of the tire and the cars fender and just felt like the gap needed to be filled? :)

Tamago
05-20-2009, 06:13 PM
have you ever looked between the top of the tire and the cars fender and just felt like the gap needed to be filled? :)

for the last 5 days i've been doing that. HURRY UP UPS!!!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/fatherdutami/poorpanda.jpg

CompanyXPaladin
05-20-2009, 06:40 PM

I like this answer. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Altitude
05-20-2009, 06:44 PM
I think the stance of the Yaris looks better when it's not lowered. Most of the shots of lowered Yaris look like the ass is dragging whereas at stock the car has a more agressive angle - this is all my own opinion of what looks good though. Then again I'm not of the 'Fast and Furious' generation...

Tamago
05-20-2009, 06:45 PM
I think the stance of the Yaris looks better when it's not lowered. Most of the shots of lowered Yaris look like the ass is dragging whereas at stock the car has a more agressive angle - this is all my own opinion of what looks good though.

if gangly and awkward = aggressive then yes....

wait... most awkward/gangly highschool kids grow up to be power-abusing policemen.. so you may just be right!

WeeYari
05-20-2009, 06:59 PM
I think the stance of the Yaris looks better when it's not lowered. Most of the shots of lowered Yaris look like the ass is dragging whereas at stock the car has a more agressive angle - this is all my own opinion of what looks good though. Then again I'm not of the 'Fast and Furious' generation...

I too prefer the slightly nose down, ready to lunge stance of stock. I also do feel that the car is rather high. With this in mind, if I do eventually opt for lowering springs, it will be ones offering a mild drop equal front and rear. I would not go for springs where the rear is .2 lower than the front.

Tamago
05-20-2009, 07:01 PM
I too prefer the slightly nose down, ready to lunge stance of stock. I also do feel that the car is rather high. With this in mind, if I do eventually opt for lowering springs, it will be ones offering a mild drop equal front and rear. I would not go for springs where the rear is .2 lower than the front.

sounds like coilovers are in your future then :)

The Spectacle
05-20-2009, 07:16 PM

this.

kngrsll
05-20-2009, 07:38 PM
for the last 5 days i've been doing that. HURRY UP UPS!!!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/fatherdutami/poorpanda.jpg

man, you could really use some konis!

SIPNGAS
05-20-2009, 07:40 PM
I like how the car looks and I like how it feels to drive now that it's lowered.

I am not one of the younger members of the board, either...but did not like the swaying of the car through turns.

It's a personal decision, really.

TheRealEnth
05-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Well for me you see its a bit complicated... I tried to achieve 88 and i couldn't... too much damn wind. I need to reach 88mph... Its a goal of mine, Im a scientist and ive been working on something lately.. But i just need to hit 88mph. If my corrections are correct after the drop that has been taken i can gain +5mph throwing me into the late 80s and I will hit 88. I might be gone for some time after this.. If.. I mean when I come back I will surely tell you that dropping the vehicle has helped me do things...

-Disclaimer- Wearing of such product will not give such ability of gaining +5mph. Experience may vary.

Tamago
05-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Well for me you see its a bit complicated... I tried to achieve 88 and i couldn't... too much damn wind. I need to reach 88mph... Its a goal of mine, Im a scientist and ive been working on something lately.. But i just need to hit 88mph. If my corrections are correct after the drop that has been taken i can gain +5mph throwing me into the late 80s and I will hit 88. I might be gone for some time after this.. If.. I mean when I come back I will surely tell you that dropping the vehicle has helped me do things...

-Disclaimer- Wearing of such product will not give such ability of gaining +5mph. Experience may vary.

:thumbup::laughabove::thumbup::clap::eek::biggrin: :w00t::headbang::bow::drinking:

Tamago
05-20-2009, 07:51 PM
man, you could really use some konis!

KW Variant 2's in the very new future!

i whored out my poor car in the name of speed, traded my coilovers for go-fast parts :(

MadMax
05-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Why do people lower their cars?

That's an easy one...because raising them would be very silly! :thumbsup:

Next question?

Cheers! M2

SIPNGAS
05-20-2009, 09:28 PM
That's an easy one...because raising them would be very silly! :thumbsup:

Next question?

Cheers! M2

:bellyroll:

Altitude
05-20-2009, 09:28 PM

That's an odd way to describe it. The Yaris is anything but 'gangly' it is somewhat chubby though.

I'm not dissing lowered cars just saying I prefer the stock look - wheel gap and all - to that of a lowered Yaris. Plus I get the added benefit of never having to make a post about suspension noises, rubbing, can't take speedbumps, fast wearing suspension parts or not being able to put heavy things (including people) in the car without causing problems. :smile:

I actually would appreciate the better handling of the lowered COG, but so far the rear sway bar has helped greatly in that department.

DerFlosser
05-20-2009, 09:30 PM

wait... most awkward/gangly highschool kids grow up to be power-abusing policemen.. so you may just be right!

bahahahahaa....so true.

alch3miss
05-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Along with what everyone has stated improved handling, better appearance, and gas mileage. It also creates more friction because of the down force. For those who drag race, less tire roll improves track times.

alch3miss
05-20-2009, 09:54 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/alch3miss/IMG_0257.jpg

dvlnblkdrs
05-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Plus I get the added benefit of never having to make a post about suspension noises, rubbing, can't take speedbumps, fast wearing suspension parts or not being able to put heavy things (including people) in the car without causing problems. :smile:

I actually would appreciate the better handling of the lowered COG, but so far the rear sway bar has helped greatly in that department.

I have Tein basic coilovers & have never had any of these issues you speak of.... :biggrin:

SIPNGAS
05-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Also...you shouldn't take speed bumps and train tracks fast whether your car is lowered or not? I took those things slow before my car was lowered. Now I take them slow because I have rims.

Yaris Hilton
05-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Lowering the car lets the engine run on denser, lower altitude air, thus increasing the horsepower.

Pitt Yaris
05-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Lower def looks better.

kurokoma-kun
05-21-2009, 09:13 AM

i am in awe :bow::laugh::respekt:

MUSKOKA800
05-21-2009, 12:15 PM

I'm not the 'Fast and Furious' generation either but do prefer greatly increased handling charactoristics for both safety and joy.
Plus I got over that high fender 4X4 look back in the 70's when I had one of Canada's first Toyota 4X4 mini-pick-em-ups. All my cars have been lowered since the Toy truck rusted away.

naossoan
05-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Lowering makes the car look better IMO. It's the first thing I'm doing to my car. I've had it for 2 years and haven't done a thing. It's time to do some modding now.

I have some TEIN S-Tech's on order..should be here on Wednesday. I can't wait!