PDA

View Full Version : My best MPG so far...

Cosworth
05-24-2009, 08:38 PM
So, driving back from OH to MI (300 miles) I was able to get 49.4 mpg.

The driving condition was ideal, IMO. Flat terrain, not much traffic, cross-wind for only about 75 miles of the journey.

Speed: 68-75 mph (using cruise)
Distance: 306.2 mi
Fuel: 6.201 gallons
psi: 29 front & 29 rear (yeah, it was low)
Tire: oem w/ ~27k miles
AC: on for ~ 2hours
Temp: 85 at start --> 65 at end
Mods: none
Load: driver only
Stops: 1 for dinner

I only wish I had a SGII to tryout hang-time pulse-n-glide.

-SC

p.s. After this wonderful achievement my gf drove the car in 30/70 (city/hwy) setting... and got only 33mpg. WTF!

Kal-El
05-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Wow, especially considering your speed of 68-75. Over 55 really effects gas mileage with exponential drag.

Loren
05-24-2009, 08:58 PM
You got 49 mpg with the cruise control at over 70 mph? That's pretty impressive. Must have had a tail wind for some of it.

Cosworth
05-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I will have to try to replicate it to see if it was a fluke (gas pump letting up early) or not. (I did check the fill-up by squeezing the pump 3 times, until the auto shut-off came on three times...)

I tried to "glide" when there was even a slightest incline on the road and back up to cruising speed once the road flattened out (or declined).

FYI - in my 1.6L 5spd Civic hatch, I usually average 40-42 mpg on 5/95 (city/hwy) at 65-70 mph (no cruise, pulse-n-glide, no SGII).

Loren
05-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Okay, if you were doing some gliding, it makes more sense. Usually, when people say they were using cruise control... it means they had it locked in and doing its thing. (which keeps speed fairly constant, but is not the most economical)

supmet
05-24-2009, 10:42 PM
My guess is the "flat terrain" was an extremely slight downgrade, otherwise there is no way to get 49 MPG doing 68-75 with 29 pounds in the tires. Even without using the A/C I'd be surprised if you could get 35 mpg under those conditions.

Loren
05-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Keep in mind that as you get that close to 50, every tenth of a gallon equals about 1 mpg. So, overfilling at the beginning by a tenth, and underfilling by a tenth at the end (purely by differences in fuel pumps) could easily have you off by 2, maybe even 3 mpg.

But, even 46 is pretty high mpg for that kind of speed.

firemachine69
05-25-2009, 12:43 PM
No kidding.

I was impressed with my recent 35mpg, and I haven't gone over 60mph, with lots of hypermiling. :laugh:

Cosworth
05-25-2009, 04:58 PM
I think one factor that leads to my high mpg in my cars (Yaris S -5spd & Civic 1.6 5spd) is that my usual driving environment is in rural areas. Let's just say that I only need to pass 4 signal lights before I'm on the freeway.

Once I'm up to speed, it really doesn't take that much gas to motivate the car at 65-75 mph cruising speed. I've lived in big cities before, and let's just say that my "city" driving is actually more like a rural backroads for most of you. :P

Lastly, if you've never been to rural MI, when I say the roads are flat... they are really flat & straight. I can say this because, I've lived in the NE, Pac NW, SE and now MidWest... flat as in pancake flat... not rolling hill like in KY.

b_hickman11
05-26-2009, 11:39 AM
I still dont understand why people dont believe other people pn their mpgs.....I can get 44 mpg with AC on 3, cruise on 70, 32 psi, and 100 degrees outside.

scape
05-26-2009, 11:48 AM
b/c they're unbelievable ;o

voodoo22
05-26-2009, 04:25 PM
I still dont understand why people dont believe other people pn their mpgs.....I can get 44 mpg with AC on 3, cruise on 70, 32 psi, and 100 degrees outside.

I'd guess it's because they cannot open their closed minds to understand that the driving environment, cars setup and drivers style strongly affect FE.

For example, If I drove 70 mph with cruise and a/c on in my environment I'd get around 40 MPG and I would guess you're getting those extra MPGs on me because of the temp in TX vs ON. It's very rarely 100 here.

Loren
05-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Now, see... you guys are talking about 40-44 mpg at 70. That's pretty high, but not unreasonable. To get 49+ at speeds GREATER than 70... that takes some special circumstances.

The Yaris really doesn't like to deliver more than 48 mpg above 60 mph.

supmet
05-26-2009, 06:22 PM
I'd guess it's because they cannot open their closed minds to understand that the driving environment, cars setup and drivers style strongly affect FE.

For example, If I drove 70 mph with cruise and a/c on in my environment I'd get around 40 MPG and I would guess you're getting those extra MPGs on me because of the temp in TX vs ON. It's very rarely 100 here.

lol - closed minds? More like working minds, that don't just accept every piece of information on the internet as fact, and without question.

70 mph with proper psi getting 40 mpg is a quite a bit different than 75 mph with low psi and getting 50 mpg

Pitt Yaris
05-26-2009, 11:36 PM
That is insane. I drive smart, never use my a/c and usually go 50-60 mph and have only got up to 41mpg.

b_hickman11
05-27-2009, 10:36 AM
That is insane. I drive smart, never use my a/c and usually go 50-60 mph and have only got up to 41mpg.

Thats because you live in the Northeast....

jamal1984
05-27-2009, 11:32 AM
So, driving back from OH to MI (300 miles) I was able to get 49.4 mpg.

The driving condition was ideal, IMO. Flat terrain, not much traffic, cross-wind for only about 75 miles of the journey.

Speed: 68-75 mph (using cruise)
Distance: 306.2 mi
Fuel: 6.201 gallons
psi: 29 front & 29 rear (yeah, it was low)
Tire: oem w/ ~27k miles
AC: on for ~ 2hours
Temp: 85 at start --> 65 at end
Mods: none
Load: driver only
Stops: 1 for dinner

I only wish I had a SGII to tryout hang-time pulse-n-glide.

-SC

p.s. After this wonderful achievement my gf drove the car in 30/70 (city/hwy) setting... and got only 33mpg. WTF!

i believed you, i did hit 55mpg over 70mph once. Now my average is about 37-39mpg which is 70-80mph on highway 70% hw and about 30% City driving.
Last week i took my yaris to myrtle beach from Buford GA to Myrtle Beach SC is 350miles trip, the road are flat terrain, hardly any traffics.
1. I left around 5pm filled up the whole tank, i drove by myself from GA to SC with 1 big bag in the back seat, and my laptop bag messenger with 12" sub woofer in the trunk plus cooler, clothes.....so basically it's pack. I did use CRUISE at average of 60-78mph never pass 80mph, i stop at the gas station when it's hit 300miles on my car to fill up my gas again and i did 37mpg average.
2. On the way back from SC to GA myself with all the bags, cooler..... plus 2 more persons and their bags. i have to say that i did 80-90mph on my way back just want to get home soon and followed the traffics, it's was daytime.
I was surprised that i got 41mpg when i filled up my gas today. No lie or bs here. I think it's more about about weather, gas brands, your foot, Traffics.....that make a big dfferences in MPG.

voodoo22
05-28-2009, 07:41 AM
lol - closed minds? More like working minds, that don't just accept every piece of information on the internet as fact, and without question.

70 mph with proper psi getting 40 mpg is a quite a bit different than 75 mph with low psi and getting 50 mpg

I didn't say you should accept everything blindly, but when people say you're lying and they can't prove it, that's just as stupid blind acceptance.

I think we're both saying the same thing in different ways.

I know from my own experience that numbers like bhickman states are probable and so I believe him, I also don't believe someone could get close to 50 mpg in the Yaris going over 60 mph, but I would not call them a liar like many people who choose to rant first and never entertain any probabilities outside of their own bubble do.

From my own experience, to get over 50 US MPG on a tank in the Yaris sedan AT, you have to drive mostly hwy and not go over 55 mph.

Woody_Woodchuck
05-28-2009, 12:57 PM
I concur, to get anywhere near 50 mpg driving over 60 mph means that there are additional circumstances like tailwind or down hill slope. I’m not shooting down the poster, just stating what I have learned by experience. If I have a 5 mph headwind, going 55 mph I lose 3 to 4 mpg for that section (15 highway miles) of my commute. If there is a tailwind I can gain that 3 or 4 mpg!

Also, to folks who are trying to get good mileage and are falling short even though they drive 55 mph or under… accelerate slooooower. The Yaris, at least my 5-speed, will eat up the gas if you accelerate with a heavy foot. Heck, anything less than feather foot will drop the mileage big time. Go slow and steady, shifting just before you hit the power point of the next gear. It is going to take you longer than you might like to get up to speed but works. Same with accelerating on the open road, use a light foot and slooooowly get to your speed. Of course with other traffic you have to trade fuel efficiency for not pissing other folks off. If other vehicles are far enough behind me I’ll take it slow, if there is traffic I’ll accelerate faster but not quite as fast as most others.

RedStickHam
05-29-2009, 09:45 AM
I've been driving my Yaris for a little over 3 months and am getting around 31MPG, the lowest I've had is 28, while the highest was around 34.

My driving is all city driving, most a 13 mile stop/go commute to work. I was getting the higher mileages back in February and March when the weather was cooler, but the hot/humid south Louisiana summer is here, so A/C is a necessity, and of course the mileage has dropped.

My Yaris is a 2009 5spd with 15inch wheels.

RedStickHam

Cosworth
05-29-2009, 05:43 PM
No offense taken from anyone by me. :)

Just stating what I saw on my most recent trip. I know that a more typical shorter trips that I take (25-50 mi hwy runs) results in ~40-44 mpg (depending on the wind) in rural MI.

One thing I've learned is anticipate traffic, terrain and road condition ahead of time and drive as smoothly as possible (w/ some pulse-n-glide & DFCO). If I can get a few more miles per gallon by driving smoother, then I don't mind taking a few more minutes to get to my destination. :) :)

deerebilt
06-02-2009, 09:27 PM
i am so excited filled up today and finally after i yr 3 mos 22k miles i got 50.179 MPG.
08 sedan s 5sp driving 50-60 no A/C windows down. tires at 32 psi. reg unleaded and no mods. my overall avg is now 43.9

voodoo22
06-04-2009, 07:56 AM
i am so excited filled up today and finally after i yr 3 mos 22k miles i got 50.179 MPG.
08 sedan s 5sp driving 50-60 no A/C windows down. tires at 32 psi. reg unleaded and no mods. my overall avg is now 43.9

Great job at showing people there is no secret to getting over 50 in our cars.:thumbup:

AnotherYarisKid
06-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Rather amazing number.

I was terribly happy by recently setting my personal best with 43.78mpg on a 230 mile trip this past weekend. Granted the first half of the trip was with tire pressure in the 23 range (i know i know) but we fixed that in the middle.

Probably 50 miles of the 230 was on local roads and up and down hills, with the rest on the highway.

I can totally sympathize with the poster above who said his gf gets much worse mileage. I still have my gf hitting 4000 rpm off a stop light. I just cringe.

SpaceShot
06-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Weather and traffic (route) conditions can help out as much as most mods and dedication to technique wins out over everything.

My latest commuting max is 52.5 Mpg (duplicated 3x) by taking the scenic route using only county 2 lane highway to get home from work. {50 miles of 40Mph speed limits}
With the warmer mornings and fewer construction issues my average on the trip into work has steadily crept up from 42 Mpg, to 45, and this morning 49.7.

Watching the Scanguage II certainly helps to tune in and give it just the right amount of gas to maintain desired speed or revs. After a year of practice, I can just about feel when I am putting the right amount of pressure to the gas.

It has taken a year to be able to do it consistently but I have met my goal of doubling the average commuting mileage of my previous ride.

voodoo22
06-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Weather and traffic (route) conditions can help out as much as most mods and dedication to technique wins out over everything.

My latest commuting max is 52.5 Mpg (duplicated 3x) by taking the scenic route using only county 2 lane highway to get home from work. {50 miles of 40Mph speed limits}
With the warmer mornings and fewer construction issues my average on the trip into work has steadily crept up from 42 Mpg, to 45, and this morning 49.7.

Watching the Scanguage II certainly helps to tune in and give it just the right amount of gas to maintain desired speed or revs. After a year of practice, I can just about feel when I am putting the right amount of pressure to the gas.

It has taken a year to be able to do it consistently but I have met my goal of doubling the average commuting mileage of my previous ride.

:w00t:

yaris prime
06-07-2009, 09:14 AM
I drive in rural Michigan too- commute to work is 33 miles one way. I just had my best tank at 41.24mpg. This was with using ac about 1/3 of the tank, and with anywhere from 300 to 700lbs of passengers.