PDA

View Full Version : GT17 too small?

Jeemee
06-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Just curious. If so, what size? GT20, 25, 28?

Plan to start at 7psi and maybe graduate to 8.
No engine management, for now
No intercooler right away, may do top mount later
TC or 1ZZ injectors

CASTREX
06-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Get the GT2554R

That is the smallest garrette BB turbo.

You can get it new from $800-$900

You can get an even smaller Journal B turbo like a GT20 but eventually when you want to upgrade your set up, those units just won't put out any top end power...

You can get easily over 200 whp with the GT2554 and still have a pretty fast spool up time.

Jeemee
06-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks! Any recommendations on a place to buy?

CASTREX
06-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Ask Garm.

I recently bought the GT25 he took out of his car...

Jeemee
06-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Will do. Thanks

cali yaris
06-06-2009, 06:18 PM
That's a good choice. 7 psi, no I/C and no management might give you 140-150 whp, I think.

Jeemee
06-06-2009, 06:58 PM
That would be plenty of power. Now the question would be, how safe is that set up?

If I knew the 1nz-fe volumetric efficiency and the air flow at a given rpm, then I could read the compressor maps and decide. Anyone know?

I've been looking through some honda and scion forum classifieds, I see alot of t3/t4s for sale. I'd really prefer no lag or very little obviously. A friend of mine had a t3/t4 on his B16 but I can't remember if he had lag or not. Plus vtec made it hard to tell anyway I'm sure. Hope to come across a GT25 soon.

Jeemee
06-06-2009, 07:29 PM
If I can get away without detonation and being lean, which I think is feasible, I think I'll be fine. I'm here to gain knowledge though so I'm open to suggestions. I may go with a TMIC, depending if I can find one designed to my likings.

cali yaris
06-07-2009, 01:51 AM
No intercooler and no engine management? Are you senile?

I ran my turbo without management for nearly a year. Tamago ran his with no issues either. It is possible.

The T3/T4 will create way too much lag at low boost; it's just not the right choice for your intended application.

cali yaris
06-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Real world experience is what makes it good or bad. I am pointing out two cases where it worked fine. Do you have a real-world case where a Yaris (or other 1.5L) failed from running a low-boost application without management?

Your sarcasm does not contribute to the discussion -- your real experiences do!

Tamago
06-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Real world experience with a boosted Yaris? NO.

Garm, I respect you on this site for your contributions so I won't be disrespectful to you like I would, say Poopy Peter or somebody else as stupid. But, on this subject I think you and anyone who thinks like you are just flat wrong. Spreading the message that adding forced induction without proper engine management to ANY car is ridiculous within itself, not to mention the fact that you're doing it on a car with a 10.5CR (or whatever it is) that was designed for fuel economy. I mean, at the VERY LEAST I would recommend at least doing a rising rate FMU and a map/maf clamp but even that is still a recipe for disaster in the long term. Just because you got away with it for "almost a year" doesn't make it safe. There are kids on this site that don't know any better and if they read a post that says "you can boost your Yaris to 7psi without any engine management" they'll go do it, blow their motors and come back and blame you instead of their own retardness. Boosting a N/A motor is hard enough with the proper components...but slapping on a turbo with no supporting mods? What about the effects on ignition timing? A/F ratio? Fuel pressure? EGT's? It goes on and on...

I'm all for doing stupid shit, but I draw the line when I see people (especially someone so key on this site like you) recommending to other people to do stupid shit.

can't do a rising rate

this is a returnless fuel system buddy ;)

buy a wideband, put in some larger injectors, and go to town. the car will take care of timing at 7psi.

Tamago
06-07-2009, 01:05 PM
jeemee, want to buy my charge pipe/intercooler? you'll need a shorter battery however.

Nexus1155
06-07-2009, 01:18 PM
It goes on and on...

and on and onnnn

Strangers, waiting
Up and down the boulevard!!!!
Their shadows
Searching in the nighttttt

Jeemee
06-07-2009, 01:22 PM

Garm, I respect you on this site for your contributions so I won't be disrespectful to you like I would, say Poopy Peter or somebody else as stupid. But, on this subject I think you and anyone who thinks like you are just flat wrong. Spreading the message that adding forced induction without proper engine management to ANY car is ridiculous within itself, not to mention the fact that you're doing it on a car with a 10.5CR (or whatever it is) that was designed for fuel economy. I mean, at the VERY LEAST I would recommend at least doing a rising rate FMU and a map/maf clamp but even that is still a recipe for disaster in the long term. Just because you got away with it for "almost a year" doesn't make it safe. There are kids on this site that don't know any better and if they read a post that says "you can boost your Yaris to 7psi without any engine management" they'll go do it, blow their motors and come back and blame you instead of their own retardness. Boosting a N/A motor is hard enough with the proper components...but slapping on a turbo with no supporting mods? What about the effects on ignition timing? A/F ratio? Fuel pressure? EGT's? It goes on and on...

I'm all for doing stupid shit, but I draw the line when I see people (especially someone so key on this site like you) recommending to other people to do stupid shit.

I understand where you're coming from on this. I think you've made your point so now those "kids" will read it and maybe decide against it. I'll have supporting mods. The ecu will take care of timing, enough anyway. The TC injectors will take care of the A/F ratio, a wide band for observation. Our stock fuel system is capable of handling 7 psi. I don't plan on going over that at this stage.

Jeemee
06-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Tamago, I'd like to see some pictures. Definitely interested.

turboecho2005
06-07-2009, 03:08 PM

ANY engine can take 5psi of boost with a properly sized turbo. Even motors with high compression above 11:1 can be boosted to 5psi and with tunning you can push them to 8 or 9psi and with meth injection you can run 12-14psi. High compression and boost gives you the best of both worlds but hard to tune for high boost.

You don't need a built motor and tones of mods to put a turbo on your car. Id look forward to blowing up my motor so i could just rebuilt it stronger and go again.

I'd say go for it and turbo the stock motor with 7psi. Don't let The Spectacle discourage anyone.

The Spectacle
06-07-2009, 03:29 PM
My objections aren't about boosting a stock motor, its about boosting any motor without the proper supporting modifications of which the primary, and most crucial component is engine management.

The Spectacle
06-07-2009, 03:34 PM
the car will take care of timing at 7psi.

Wait...what?

What?

There's so much wrong here I don't even know where to begin.

Tamago
06-07-2009, 03:34 PM
My objections aren't about boosting a stock motor, its about boosting any motor without the proper supporting modifications of which the primary, and most crucial component is engine management.

at 7 psi the only thing you should be concerned with is a cool IAT and enough fuel, both of which can be achieved without throwing money into complicated engine management

Tamago
06-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Wait...what?

What?

There's so much wrong here I don't even know where to begin.

YOU REALLY REALLY should just shut the F up at this point.

you don't understand in the LEAST how VVTi and knock sensors work, do you?

PETERPOOP
06-07-2009, 03:39 PM
spectacle FTL

Morgan
06-07-2009, 03:40 PM
*subscribed* :biggrin:

Tamago
06-07-2009, 03:41 PM
*subscribed* :biggrin:

tell us, oh wise one!

before the Spectacle makes a Himself out of himself any further :biggrin:

Brad D
06-07-2009, 03:42 PM
keep in mind the samller the turbo the more low end power.. the more low end power the more TQ.. more TQ = more cylinder pressure. We have had a few stock B18 hondas at 370wtq and any thing more than that and the cylinder splits. So you can still have the same HP with a bigger turbo but with less TQ..

I would go with a GT25.. or a GT28 if you ever want higher power goals.

Tamago
06-07-2009, 03:44 PM
keep in mind the samller the turbo the more low end power.. the more low end power the more TQ.. more TQ = more cylinder pressure. We have had a few stock B18 hondas at 370wtq and any thing more than that and the cylinder splits. So you can still have the same HP with a bigger turbo but with less TQ..

I would go with a GT25.. or a GT28 if you ever want higher power goals.

also keep in mind, smaller turbo = hotter charge air :)

my VF39 came into full boost before 3800rpm and made around 5lbs at 3000

perfect IMO

Morgan
06-07-2009, 03:49 PM
you'd think with several threads asking about a small turbo/no ic/no fuel mang there would be tons of FI yaris' - gl to you when you get yours turbo'd :smile:

Tamago
06-07-2009, 03:53 PM
you'd think with several threads asking about a small turbo/no ic/no fuel mang there would be tons of FI yaris' - gl to you when you get yours turbo'd :smile:

this makes thread # 33 right?

Jeemee
06-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Morgan, sorry I can't recall but are you using the blitz fuel controller?

Morgan
06-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Morgan, sorry I can't recall but are you using the blitz fuel controller?

yeah, just whatever came in the xa kit, aka "magic black box"

really I'm thinking it just extends the injector pulse, but I have no idea what its actually doing

Brad D
06-07-2009, 03:59 PM
I dont think i would ever do a turbo setup with no piggy back ( even though I hate them) these days you can get a AEM FIC for only a few hundred.. and if it saves your motor its well worth it IMO.

Jeemee
06-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Sorry about the repost :iono: Has anyone accomplished this yet, besides garm? I won't even start on it for a while :brokenheart: I'm just planning ahead.

Altitude
06-07-2009, 04:04 PM
...breaks out the popcorn...

Jeemee
06-07-2009, 04:08 PM
...breaks out the popcorn...

Well in that case, I'm sure I should be fine with 10psi on stock fuel management, right?...kidding of course :drinking:

Jeemee
06-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Sorry about the repost :iono: Has anyone accomplished this yet, besides garm? I won't even start on it for a while :brokenheart: I'm just planning ahead.

Yeah I guess I could have looked at the people with the custom turbo on the boosted list. Oh well, in my defense, I was only asking if the GT17 was too small.

Morgan
06-07-2009, 04:21 PM
I'd like to see a small turbo, simple set up done on a yaris and I honestly hope it works out for you which ever turbo you choose but I just want to see it done not just discussed. Seems to be a general consensus that it could be done but then again in theory the xa/xb transmission should work too :rolleyes:- it sucks to be the first one to jump in and get it done, but at least you'd know exactly how/why it did or didnt work

Tamago
it is :D

Tamago
I'd like to see a small turbo, simple set up done on a yaris and I honestly hope it works out for you which ever turbo you choose but I just want to see it done not just discussed. Seems to be a general consensus that it could be done but then again in theory the xa/xb transmission should work too :rolleyes:- it sucks to be the first one to jump in and get it done, but at least you'd know exactly how/why it did or didnt work

sorry friend :(

The Spectacle
06-07-2009, 04:22 PM
YOU REALLY REALLY should just shut the F up at this point.

you don't understand in the LEAST how VVTi and knock sensors work, do you?

lol now this is getting fun...

So I bring up a valid point about timing and you're answer is to leave it to the knock sensor?? Seriously? So since I have no idea what I'm talking about, maybe you can explain what the ECU does when it detects knock. Pull timing right? Right...but how much? Until it stops knocking? Do you know how, pun intended, retarded that sounds? The knock sensor is designed to pull timing based on IAT's, variances in octane, and a few other factors...not to make up for not having the proper values in the timing map to reference in relation to positive pressure.

I'm going to pretend that you didn't mention VVTi seeing how it has no relevance here. But maybe you can explain that one too.

Morgan
06-07-2009, 04:27 PM
sorry friend :(

its ok, but now I know that an xa/xb transmission will fit but not work in a yaris :smile:

Tamago
06-07-2009, 04:36 PM
lol now this is getting fun...

So I bring up a valid point about timing and you're answer is to leave it to the knock sensor?? Seriously? So since I have no idea what I'm talking about, maybe you can explain what the ECU does when it detects knock. Pull timing right? Right...but how much? Until it stops knocking? Do you know how, pun intended, retarded that sounds? The knock sensor is designed to pull timing based on IAT's, variances in octane, and a few other factors...not to make up for not having the proper values in the timing map to reference in relation to positive pressure.

I'm going to pretend that you didn't mention VVTi seeing how it has no relevance here. But maybe you can explain that one too.

:laughabove: you have no experience with forced induction in the 1nzfe.

i do

i know what works safely.

:iono:

you're going on my ignore list, not worth my time answering your retarded arguments.

The Spectacle
06-07-2009, 04:45 PM
:laughabove: you have no experience with forced induction in the 1nzfe.

i do

i know what works safely.

:iono:

you're going on my ignore list, not worth my time answering your retarded arguments.

Cute. Guess I got under someone's skin lol

Anyone else venture to go toe to toe with me on the merits of boosting a car without proper engine management? I've got nothing else to do today.

cali yaris
06-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Nope, not going to argue with an armchair expert with respect to the 1NZ-FE. I have other stuff to do today. :wink:

I've never recommended jumping into a turbo project without being clear on the risks to your motor and your wallet. You haven't read many of my posts if that is what you think.

The Spectacle
06-07-2009, 05:09 PM
You guys talk about having experience with the 1nz-fe like its some kind of technical marvel. Its a 100hp motor for god sakes.

Nexus1155
06-07-2009, 08:58 PM
And what experience do you have and on what cars pray tell? I'd love to hear your adventures

ka0sx
06-07-2009, 11:16 PM
You guys talk about having experience with the 1nz-fe like its some kind of technical marvel. Its a 100hp motor for god sakes.

http://ohellnawlblog.com/newohnblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/choke.jpg

need i quote the line?

cali yaris
06-08-2009, 12:27 AM
"you have failed me for the last time, captain"?

is that right? do I win something? :smile:

ka0sx
06-08-2009, 01:10 AM
"you have failed me for the last time, captain"?

is that right? do I win something? :smile:

if i ever see you in person i will hand you a stale old cookie =P
that is the actual line from the scene, but i was refering to the "motivational" version "i find your lack of faith disturbing"

refering to

who apparently is oblivious to the amount of engineering that goes into a modern engine. Especially no credit is given to the software and computer engineering advances that allow these engines to act and adapt in such a versatile fashion.

anonymous user
06-08-2009, 02:14 AM
*subscribed* :)

cdydjded
06-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Let me put my .02 cents on this one, can you run a turbo kit without any management? absolutely, its been done with the Yaris & 100's of other cars, is it safe? well that depends, shit does happens it can last forever or it can last 5 minutes, would a boosted Yaris run better & be safer with management, again absolutely, what I think the problem here is that to many people are venturing into things that they do not understand, if you have no experience in modifying your car my opinion is to take it to a pro, if you want to learn by doing & willing to take a chance by all means go for it.

cdydjded
06-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Before I forget, can we get a sticky about the fuel system, I seen the suggestion on a fuel pressure regulator 1 to many times, its a returnless system you cant use a FPR unless you convert to a return system

cdydjded
06-08-2009, 11:57 AM
To the OP, where did you get GT17? Garrett's small turbos are :
GT12, GT15, GT20 & GT22
Is it another brand? Garm used a GT25R I believe with good results. Be careful on small turbo's, some use weird flanges that are not common, so be ready to have them custom made which is no big deal but you have to find someone that can make them for you

Tamago
06-08-2009, 12:00 PM
if i ever see you in person i will hand you a stale old cookie =P
that is the actual line from the scene, but i was refering to the "motivational" version "i find your lack of faith disturbing"

refering to

who apparently is oblivious to the amount of engineering that goes into a modern engine. Especially no credit is given to the software and computer engineering advances that allow these engines to act and adapt in such a versatile fashion.

and the fact that it makes some of the best hp/lb of ANY engine in any car in the world.

06silveryaris
06-08-2009, 12:50 PM
I do not know what is the big deal when someone wants to do "something out of the norm" or not buying some "kit",of course it would work with no intercooler and an after market piggy back or ecu. Just do bigger injectors.I have seen people here do that with Hyundais Brio and Mitsubishis mirages they even get pipes done cheap at a mufflershop. Doesn't look pretty all but it works. For a low boost aplication it will be just fine. budget turbo the butt dyno is happy and so is the wallet.

Tamago
06-08-2009, 01:27 PM
if i were to do it again, i'd trade engine management for a good solid water/meth injection setup. (on low boost)

cali yaris
06-08-2009, 02:38 PM
if i were to do it again, i'd trade engine management for a good solid water/meth injection setup. (on low boost)

Yeah after reading more on here (special thanks to Morgan for actually doing it), I probably would too. May still get around to it.

Jeemee
06-08-2009, 02:40 PM
It's a Garrett. Comes off a Saab 9-3 and are pretty easy to come by.

Morgan
06-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Yeah after reading more on here (special thanks to Morgan for actually doing it), I probably would too. May still get around to it.

worth every single penny! good for cooling and reduces knock, what could be better? HIGHLY recommended, especially if you don't end up using a piggy back or some type of other engine management!

(yes, you could probably tune it out if you can advance your timing, but I can't so instead I use it as a safety feature not for performance)

cali yaris
06-08-2009, 06:23 PM
we can slap in a small turbo and run it without major problems with the 1NZFE?

No one said that. There is a risk involved with any major engine modification, including this. What I said is that at least two of us have run turbos and not blown our motors. That is all the data there is -- so choose CAREFULLY before you jump in.

CASTREX
06-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Can someone make a list of PSI vs Gain or am i talking through my butt?

yeah, through your butt :bellyroll:

Just kidding

Is not that simple. It depends on the turbo you use and your set up. So there is no way to say x amount of HP per psi.

You could said though that for any given set up the car puts out xamount of HP for psi. That would be true within a psi range.

IE:

If Garm's old set up made 180hp at 8psi and lets say the base power was 100hp, then you can said his turbo made 10hp per psi. You can also assume that the same set up at 10psi would put out 200hp.

As the PSI goes up and you start going out of the effeciency area or the turbo, the numbers will change (decrease)...

CASTREX
06-08-2009, 06:59 PM

One of the advantages of standalone management is that you can switch between multiple MAPS...

So you can have th everyday map for regular gas, then a Meth map and finally the all out race gas map.

The Meth map comes pretty handy when you want to have some fun and don't have some VP handy... or if you don't want to pay the race gas price.

240-250whp for every day driving on regular gas
260-270whp on meth
300+whp on race gas

The Spectacle
06-08-2009, 10:12 PM
and the fact that it makes some of the best hp/lb of ANY engine in any car in the world.

*thud*

Now I've heard it all.

Tamago
06-08-2009, 10:34 PM
the next person that uses the term "slap on" in the same sentence as "turbo" needs a permaban.

mikenacarato
06-08-2009, 11:23 PM
spectacle needs a permaban..........we already have enough bs on the forum as is.

cali yaris
06-09-2009, 01:29 AM
but now seriously is the 1NZFE able to take a turbo without modifications without destroying it?

No one can answer that question with any certainty. I'm not sure how many different ways I can say that. I can only point at the real world data we have, me and Tamago who ran turbos on the 1.5L motor with no damage. Loss in longevity? Again, can't answer that either.

Maybe in 3-5 years, when a lot more people have tried and either succeeded or failed, the question can be answered with some data to back it up.

turboecho2005
06-09-2009, 01:31 PM
*thud*

Now I've heard it all.

Has anyone ever told you that you know nothing about cars? or is that a first too!

The Spectacle
06-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Its a first.

mikenacarato
06-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Its a first.

now like a 2nd or 3rd...

Tamago
06-09-2009, 05:56 PM
bench racing = real-life, knuckle-skinning experience, didn't y'all know? that's why we can "slap on" turbos and coilovers....

PETERPOOP
06-09-2009, 10:09 PM
lol @ the bashing on spectacle.

Tamago
06-09-2009, 11:07 PM
lol @ the bashing on spectacle.

you feel left out? :iono::laugh::redface::cool::eek::thumbup: :bellyroll: :eyebulge::wub:

CDavis7M
06-10-2009, 02:05 AM
I don't have any experience with a Yaris, let alone a turbo one. But, I do have a turbo supra.

Here are some of the basics that I know about Turbo cars. Please let me know if I am wrong though.
-A car with a Turbo stock will have an ECU that is set to retard timing at higher rpm / higher boost.
-Turbo cars have much lower engine compression and are better able to handle boost.
-NA cars try to achieve a Air/Fuel Ratio of about 14.7, probably richer than that at about 13-14 or less when at full throttle.
-A Turbo cars ECU is set to run at 11-12 AFR at full throttle. Running richer allows the gas to cool the piston and reduces the risk of detonation.
-Turbo cars usually have some or all of the rotating assembly forged.

So, basically, running a turbo without any modifications on an economy engine, you will detonate with AFRs around 14, even at 7psi. I hope someone before me set you guys straight but this thread looks like Honda Tech. It's just horrible.

Tamago
06-10-2009, 02:15 AM
So, basically, running a turbo without any modifications on an economy engine, you will detonate with AFRs around 14, even at 7psi. I hope someone before me set you guys straight but this thread looks like Honda Tech. It's just horrible.

guessing you missed the part where we suggested bigger injectors to help with the "stock" AFR's ?

when the car goes into open loop mode, larger injectors will provide more than enough fuel to keep boost mode cool

cali yaris
06-10-2009, 10:39 AM
I hope someone before me set you guys straight...It's just horrible.

You've clearly missed quite a bit of this discussion, you haven't played with a 1.5L Toyota motor, and your tone of disrespect (post count: 4) for some pretty knowledgable tuners is the horrible part. /rant off

Split
06-10-2009, 02:56 PM
someone put one of these turbos on the yaris:
http://www.compturbo.com/products/index.php?folder1=Turbo_Chargers&folder2=CT3&product=CT340
TO4E T3/T4 Hybrid turbocharger with a 40mm Comp wheel stage 1 turbine wheel .36 Non-Port T3 turbine housing.

The Triple Ball Bearing version is only $1600. Instant 250hp at low rpm would be nice!

mikenacarato
06-10-2009, 03:00 PM
i think people forget that all cars are NOT the same.....a yaris motor is quite different than a turbo supra motor..correct me if im wrong though please.

CDavis7M
06-10-2009, 04:01 PM
guessing you missed the part where we suggested bigger injectors to help with the "stock" AFR's ?

when the car goes into open loop mode, larger injectors will provide more than enough fuel to keep boost mode cool

This will work. But, obviously it's not the best idea. And considering the cost of a piggyback and a tune compared to the cost of a turbo, I don't see any reason to risk an engine to save a few bucks.

You've clearly missed quite a bit of this discussion, you haven't played with a 1.5L Toyota motor, and your tone of disrespect (post count: 4) for some pretty knowledgable tuners is the horrible part. /rant off

I did miss some of the discussion. And sorry for the disrespect. But, calling out someone based on post count is also immature. I would expect better from a vendor.

a yaris motor is quite different than a turbo supra motor..correct me if im wrong though please.

That's what I was suggesting.

mikenacarato
06-10-2009, 05:05 PM
just curious.....do you have a yaris cdavis? if not...why are you here?

CDavis7M
06-10-2009, 05:35 PM
yes

mikenacarato
06-10-2009, 05:40 PM
well welcome aboard.

Nexus1155
06-10-2009, 05:45 PM
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18796

research is golden, if you were trying to bash him, ye lose all chance now... sorry mike lol

cali yaris
06-10-2009, 05:51 PM
considering the cost of a piggyback and a tune compared to the cost of a turbo

Another problematic approach (so far) -- piggyback didn't work for me and several others. Doesn't mean it can't work, but you posted this (I'm guessing) without real world knowledge of a successful application on a Yaris. Another indication you are drawing from other-car experience, not specific to the Yaris, and also an indication you haven't read the other threads about tuning these cars. Not totally irrelevant, but not all that helpful either.

Sorry about the post count snipe, but you pissed me off. I found my happy space again since then.

mikenacarato
06-10-2009, 05:52 PM
research is golden, if you were trying to bash him, ye lose all chance now... sorry mike lol

oooh man...im gonna lose sleep over this one... :rolleyes:

CDavis7M
06-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Another problematic approach (so far) -- piggyback didn't work for me and several others. Doesn't mean it can't work, but you posted this (I'm guessing) without real world knowledge of a successful application on a Yaris.

You are right. I'll do more research before I make Yaris specific advice.

The Spectacle
06-10-2009, 08:49 PM
CDavis7M don't be afraid to state your opinion in here. After all, it is your opinion and you are entitled to it. You don't need experience with a turbo 1NZ-FE to know that 90% of what's been posted in this thread that didn't have my name on it is complete and utter bullshit. I'd start quoting posts, but I'm not that bored right now. But, here are some of the brilliant, insightful highlights:

- You can run the stock ECU up to 'x' psi and the car will be fine...with no intercooler
- The stock ECU retards timing in boost based off the knock sensor and thats safe up to 'x' psi
- The 1NZ-FE is one of the best hp/lb in the world (That one takes the fucking cake)
- Running bigger injectors is a fix action for running lean in boost
- Running meth is a great fix to reduce your knocking motor in boost. In fact, its pretty much all you need if you're knocking

This is been quite entertaining. Besides cali yaris, none of you guys have a fucking clue what you're talking about. I don't need to post up my 'creds' to prove I know what I'm talking about and I certainly don't have to have experience playing with a turbo Yaris to know that more than half of you are full of really, really stinky shit when it comes to forced induction.

I encourage anyone reading this that is on the fence about doing some of the absurdly retarded shit suggested in this thread is to do some research outside of yarisworld to get a good idea of how to turbo a N/A car. Among all the crazy shit in this thread that you shouldn't do, the NUMBER ONE thing NOT to do is run your car with a stock ecu without AT LEAST a piggyback or another (better) form of engine management. Just don't do it. Please.

mikenacarato
06-10-2009, 09:45 PM
YW - 1 Testicle - 0

Jeemee
06-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Damn guys, this has turned out to an all out flame fest.

Nexus1155
06-11-2009, 10:31 AM
MIKE! i said no... LOL, but yeah this has turned out to an all out flame fest, when you can pull a 2.7T engine all by yourself and tune the ECU by yourself via benchflashing then come back to me

because honestly i could do Hondas all day and night, its crazy stuff like a huge Euro engines literally stuffed into the bay without a hand of space to move in that makes you a champ..... Up next 4.2TT RS6 Engine :) can't wait for this beast

I mean you might have credentials and everything and know alot, but please don't act like you are God himself, i mean Tamago does it to be cocky and he is a smart ass dude like he really knows his stuff, but everyone has their limits too which is what you gotta remember, i mean .... I can't weld... I know I can't so I don't even bother and bring it to a shop

Nexus1155
06-11-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm hungover//////q

Morgan
06-11-2009, 02:35 PM
- Running meth is a great fix to reduce your knocking motor in boost. In fact, its pretty much all you need if you're knocking

"Knock" is a process where fuel combustion happens prior to ignition and is temperature and pressure based so by reducing ignition temps (water) and/or reducing the chances of preignition (methanol/higher octane fuel) it can indeed solve many minor to moderate knock issues. In addition to the yaris' keen ability to pull/retard timing at the drop of a hat, knock is almost inevitable in any FI application for this car, addressing it with water/meth and higher octane fuel is par for the course..... As noted in several threads in the FI forum, kthnxbyi

just to clarify if I used too many big words (http://www.fuelsaving.info/knock.htm)

please respect the hard work and dedication of the members who have tried and tested many different methods with the 1nz before posting like you know more than, what was it "98%" of us?

Tamago
06-11-2009, 02:43 PM
"Knock" is a process where fuel combustion happens prior to ignition and is temperature and pressure based so by reducing ignition temps (water) and/or reducing the chances of preignition (methanol/higher octane fuel) it can indeed solve many minor to moderate knock issues. In addition to the yaris' keen ability to pull/retard timing at the drop of a hat, knock is almost inevitable in any FI application for this car, addressing it with water/meth and higher octane fuel is par for the course..... As noted in several threads in the FI forum, kthnxbyi

just to clarify if I used too many big words (http://www.fuelsaving.info/knock.htm)

please respect the hard work and dedication of the members who have tried and tested many different methods with the 1nz before posting like you know more than, what was it "98%" of us?

http://smiliesftw.com/x/aplaudir.gif

PETERPOOP
06-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Apparently (per Garm) the FIC doesn't work

http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17932

Tamago
06-11-2009, 04:33 PM
well this thread is getting cleaned up... looks like it might as well be locked.

mikenacarato
06-11-2009, 04:35 PM
IBFTL!!!!!

The Spectacle
06-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Who is the douche that deleted my post about deleting my posts? The least you could do is man up and PM me.

turboecho2005
06-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Who is the douche that deleted my post about deleting my posts? The least you could do is man up and PM me.

Did you learn anything about cars yet?

Tamago
06-11-2009, 08:05 PM
your screen name suits you 100%:biggrin:

he's making a himself of himself

mikenacarato
06-11-2009, 08:10 PM
hahaha

hatchbackkid82
06-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Wow dude you just made your self seem like a total d*ck. Good job:clap: It's not what your saying, but your delivery as a whole is just wrong. People skills; get some please. Don't expect anyone on the forum to take you seriously now.

CDavis7M don't be afraid to state your opinion in here. After all, it is your opinion and you are entitled to it. You don't need experience with a turbo 1NZ-FE to know that 90% of what's been posted in this thread that didn't have my name on it is complete and utter bullshit. I'd start quoting posts, but I'm not that bored right now. But, here are some of the brilliant, insightful highlights:

- You can run the stock ECU up to 'x' psi and the car will be fine...with no intercooler
- The stock ECU retards timing in boost based off the knock sensor and thats safe up to 'x' psi
- The 1NZ-FE is one of the best hp/lb in the world (That one takes the fucking cake)
- Running bigger injectors is a fix action for running lean in boost

This is been quite entertaining. Besides cali yaris, none of you guys have a fucking clue what you're talking about. I don't need to post up my 'creds' to prove I know what I'm talking about and I certainly don't have to have experience playing with a turbo Yaris to know that more than half of you are full of really, really stinky shit when it comes to forced induction.

I encourage anyone reading this that is on the fence about doing some of the absurdly retarded shit suggested in this thread is to do some research outside of yarisworld to get a good idea of how to turbo a N/A car. Among all the crazy shit in this thread that you shouldn't do, the NUMBER ONE thing NOT to do is run your car with a stock ecu without AT LEAST a piggyback or another (better) form of engine management. Just don't do it. Please.