PDA

View Full Version : RU a Mac or PC User?

Hawaiian Bluzman
09-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Jus was wondering how many of you are Mac or PC users...I run a Mac G4 at home and work how about you?

riceboy
09-19-2006, 09:45 PM
PC @ home... I'd love a mac for my next comp though.... we'll see....

fnkngrv
09-19-2006, 09:47 PM
x86 Suse Linux at home

x86 Fedora Linux at work

ECHOKnight2000
09-19-2006, 10:04 PM
I have a Mac G4 laptop, for school and car forums!:biggrin:

vodkalush
09-19-2006, 10:08 PM
mac - g4 laptop (main - leopard..)
pc - custom (torrent and file storage - amd xp)
pc - hp amd 64bit laptop: work*
pc - internet kiosk (dell - intel) for friends/partiers
mac - (g3 - os x)my bar music machine

ChinoCharles
09-19-2006, 10:24 PM
AMD based PC. I build my own. :thumbup:

SimmZ
09-19-2006, 10:24 PM
I've worked for 5 years as a technician for a major Apple reseller in Quebec. Now I'm the IT sub-manager into a big company where we have 150 PCs and around 25 MACs. For the moment I use a PC at home and a PC & MAC combo at work (splitted using a KVM switch). I have to support 200 users and do R&D on both platforms so it's important for me to continue using and learning on both.

I do consider the lastest iMac Intel in this next january cause I really need to change my PC at home cause it's a entry-level 1.5 years old PC... I change my work's computer at every 6 months, so I feel a little poor at home. I really like the iMac 20" (the new 24" is a little big for me). It will allow me to use both upcoming operating systems as OSX 10.5 Leopard and Windows Vista in a dual-boot. Best of both worlds in a single, very compact and real high performance computer! Apple is a real success story!! :clap:

vodkalush
09-19-2006, 10:36 PM

only way 2 live

Boo
09-20-2006, 12:09 AM
G5 iMac :headbang:

田中秀樹
09-20-2006, 12:38 AM
mac..it's what we use in the the industry i'm in. always been apple user since the apple ii days. oregon trail 4 life. hahahahaha

Katana
09-20-2006, 04:25 AM
PC and Laptop user.

TrancosRt
09-20-2006, 08:15 AM
Laptop: 12" iBook G4(only way to go :D)
Pc: Custom build AMD.

At work i work with crappy Dells and at school with newer Dells (still crappy though. As you can see, I'm a little biased towards Dell and most manufactured computers actually, but Apples and IBMs)

tomjasz
09-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Laptop: 12" iBook G4(only way to go :D)
Pc: Custom build AMD.

)
Same here!!!!

captainzerocool
09-21-2006, 04:10 PM
UBUNTU FTW!1!!!!

kaymm
09-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Have XP/Ubuntu/OSX all on my macbook via bootcamp
XP/Slackware at work

SEaton
09-22-2006, 03:32 PM
me too

SEaton
09-22-2006, 03:32 PM
had an ibook G4 too and it got jacked last year

ChinoCharles
09-23-2006, 12:29 AM
Actually it is about time for an upgrade. My last system has lasted 6 years, but I bought a micro-tower case and am planning on loading it with a dual core 64-bit AMD soon. Nerds, drool.

Blenjar
09-26-2006, 10:13 PM
iMac g4 17 1ghz, with 1 windows xp machine, and another built windows machines for the family.

W/e pc I build next to buy next will be AMD only. Apple better go AMD...

Idjiit
09-27-2006, 10:00 AM
Oh boy, where do I start...

Right now I use a 15" MacBook Pro as my primary machine. About 80% of the time I boot into Windows Vista (using Boot Camp) while I'm doing my day job as a web-application developer. The other 20% of the time is during my other job as a semi-pro photographer.

In support of the photo business, I have 2 13" MacBooks, which I hate. They're cheap pieces of crap with monumentally shitty screens and I feel sorry for anyone who's bought one since they're ticking timebombs of support problems. We have one that went back to Apple alredy to fix a problem where the machine would just randomly shutoff, and now that it's back it won't boot unless you clear the PRAM every time. The other seems to be doing okay, but I will most likely replace both of them with MBPs as soon as possible.

Other than that, I have a 12" iBook that doesn't get much use now that I have the MBs, a Mac Mini as my cruising the internet/iTunes machine, a couple Sony laptops, 3 Dell PCs and various other PCs.

I don't understand why people have anything against Dell - all my Dells have worked wonderfully, I've had much more problems with my Macs. At this point, I'm ready to never use a Macintosh ever again. Their Intel-based hardware sucks, there's a lot of stupid problems with the OS... after about 9 months of using them daily I still do not get what the attraction is.

ChinoCharles
09-27-2006, 01:00 PM
The new Dells are insane. I used to hate Dell but my brother just picked up a newer model Dimension and it is the quietest computer I've ever been around. You don't even know its on.

Idjit, if you do freelance web app development in ASP/PHP PM me and I can hook you up with my buddy... he can always use more programmers, and he pays whatever you quote.

Idjiit
09-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the offer, Chino, but I'm salaried and am not interested in freelance work.

ChinoCharles
09-27-2006, 01:32 PM
SELLOUT! Haha kidding, cool... if I didn't have the attention span of a gnat I might program more, but I always get distracted.

why?
09-27-2006, 02:07 PM
I use a dell as my primary gaming pc and it works fine.

But at work we bought 4 Dell's and 4 Dell printers and have had tons of problems with them. We have finally been able to make them work but it was way to much work. For an example the Dell printer software screwed up the printers amazingly, but the printers work fine with generic software.

ceres
09-27-2006, 02:41 PM
I use a custom built Cyperpower PC atm. AMD processor, Windows Media Center, 21" CRT (I hate LCD monitors), tv-tuner, but a I need a new graphics card soon. The one I have is a ATI Radeon AIW that conflicts with the tv-tuner so I can't run the game I play in window mode. The AIW doesn't work with the Media Center programs which work 100% better than the ATI ones. Have an old iBook (from 2001) that gets brought out every so often. Boyfriend just picked up a Dell laptop (don't know the version). Got it off of ebay.
I'll probably pick up a Mac next time I get a new desktop. Miss using the Macs we had in our graphics design department at college.

JeffRapp
09-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Idjiit - sorry to hear about your MacBook problems. I got mine in July and it's the best computer I've ever owned. It runs XP inside parallels like it's nobody's business. It sounds like you got one of the earlier production runs. I read that the wire that measures the tempature on the processor was too close to the processor itself, causing the sheilding to melt off and the wire to short out, shutting the machine down. Personally, I haven't experienced this yet, and I hope I don't have to.

Idjiit
09-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Yes, the one that died I bought the day they came out. However, I personally know 4 other people who've had issues with them, so I tend to still think that they're just badly designed pieces of junk. Yours may be working well now, but you've had it for 3 months - come back to me in a year and tell me if it's still the best computer you've ever owned. ;)

Beyond that, the screen on them is pathetic. There's no way to look at the screen and get an accurate representation of black levels, which makes the computer practically useless for a photographer like myself.

JeffRapp
09-27-2006, 05:14 PM
I'll let you know then ;)

True, the screen isn't that great, but for graphics design and photo editing, what lcd is? Anyway, it's a huge improvement over my old white G3 iBook.

Idjiit
09-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Uhhhh... plenty of LCDs are good for photo editing. You may have noticed, for instance, that Apple doesn't sell CRTs anymore - most photo and video editing companies have been using primarily LCDs for a few years now. The Apple Cinema Displays, their Dell counterparts and even the LCD in the MacBook Pros are of very high quality and totally sufficient for critical photo and video work.

If you put the MacBook up against the MacBook Pro, I think you'd see what I'm talking about quite quickly.

JeffRapp
09-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Alright - i think you got me. I bought a mini dvi-vga adapter. wow. i can definitely see what you're talking about. The colors on the macbook look pretty washed out compared to the 5-year-old lcd screen i've got it hooked up to...

Also, I think Apple only sells LCDs because Steve declared CRTs dead ;) And what Steve says is the Word

Idjiit
09-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Buy a new LCD with a DVI input and you'll really be blown away. ;)

Seriously, between my Samsung and Dell LCDs, I'm really floored at the quality that's available to us at this point. I think the only real lingering issues with LCDs at this point is with high-motion stuff with videogames (which I don't play), but even there a lot of decently priced LCDs have fast response times.

eTiMaGo
09-28-2006, 03:57 AM
Acer Ferrari laptop here (with windows XP media center edition) :D Gotta love that carbon fiber and red trim, gonna be a theme on my Yaris... ;)

Macs are nice, sure.. and now that they can run XP, it's quite a possibility, the top-end Mac Pros are sweeeet

vodkalush
09-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Buy a new LCD with a DVI input and you'll really be blown away. ;)

Seriously, between my Samsung and Dell LCDs, I'm really floored at the quality that's available to us at this point. I think the only real lingering issues with LCDs at this point is with high-motion stuff with videogames (which I don't play), but even there a lot of decently priced LCDs have fast response times.

your looking at 8-ms timing on a sub $300 17inch lcd now a-days vrs's the 25ms 17inches 4yrs ago going for $5-600..

sooo you will not see the blur in games unless a. you buy crazy cheap ($150 or less) b. maybe if you filming your screen with an external video source (aka a camera) or c. you have superhuman eyes that can detect **any* movment :smile:

tomjasz
09-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Actually it is about time for an upgrade. My last system has lasted 6 years, but I bought a micro-tower case and am planning on loading it with a dual core 64-bit AMD soon. Nerds, drool.

recently finished a dual core with a terabyte of HDD, 4 mb of mem and two DVD RW. Smokin' gotta love those dual core:thumbup: AMD's!!!

ChinoCharles
09-28-2006, 11:36 AM
recently finished a dual core with a terabyte of HDD, 4 mb of mem and two DVD RW. Smokin' gotta love those dual core:thumbup: AMD's!!!

1337. HAHA! :clap:

I can't wait for mine! UGH if I wasn't getting my windows tinted next week I'd have the bitch on its way from tiger direct!

vodkalush
09-28-2006, 02:20 PM

only 4mb ram?? are u atleast gonna dual boot 3.11 and os2?? :thumbup:

tomjasz
09-28-2006, 02:25 PM
only 4mb ram?? are u atleast gonna dual boot 3.11 and os2?? :thumbup:

I'm a dullard this morning....4 Gig.....:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

nsmitchell
10-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Home = AMD Athlon XP2500+ with XP. I build PCs for a hobby.
Work = AMD Athlon XP 64 3200+ with XP with 2 monitors

I just love AMD with NVidia!
AMD partnered with ATI though!:cry:

littlecarlove
10-20-2006, 01:31 PM
I use both.
PC desktop and a G4 iBook.
Love them both.

Hays

ChinoCharles
12-29-2006, 02:52 PM
I am almost finished building my new system. Here are the specs.

Ultra Micro-fly MicroATX case, black w/ clear sides
Ultra V-Series 500W PSU
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4 GHZ Socket AM2 CPU, 1000 MHz FSB
Asus M2NPV-VM NVIDIA GeForce 6150 MicroATX motherboard w/ HDTV/AV/S video out module
1 GB DDR2 PC2 6400 Ram (Two 512 sticks on two channels)
NEC 16x8x16 DVD-R/RW | 8x DVD+R DL | 6x DVD-R DL | 48x32x48 CD-RW OEM DVD Burner
Linksys Wireless G Adapter
80GB 7200 RPM HD
120 GB 7200 RPM HD

This computer is going to be SEVERE! 64 bit computing! And look at the size!

You can see my old computer towering in the background. It had a full server tower case and was completely state-of-the-art back in its day. That was more than 5 years ago. Now, I'm less about bigger is better and more about function.

The new case is extremely light and has a handle on the front to allow for mobility. Perfect for a college student who likes to go on campus to his friends house to write papers and get wasted. This new system will weigh right around 5-7 pounds.

If anyone needs a new computer and would like to save 30-50% off the pricing of companies like Dell, PM me.

Blenjar
12-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Both!

-- Blen

Nutzoids
12-29-2006, 05:53 PM
I swing both ways Baby...

:evil:

vodkalush
12-29-2006, 06:40 PM
I am almost finished building my new system. Here are the specs.

Ultra Micro-fly MicroATX case, black w/ clear sides
Ultra V-Series 500W PSU
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4 GHZ Socket AM2 CPU, 1000 MHz FSB
Asus M2NPV-VM NVIDIA GeForce 6150 MicroATX motherboard w/ HDTV/AV/S video out module
1 GB DDR2 PC2 6400 Ram (Two 512 sticks on two channels)
NEC 16x8x16 DVD-R/RW | 8x DVD+R DL | 6x DVD-R DL | 48x32x48 CD-RW OEM DVD Burner
Linksys Wireless G Adapter
80GB 7200 RPM HD
120 GB 7200 RPM HD

This computer is going to be SEVERE! 64 bit computing! And look at the size!

[ATTACH]2642[/ATTACH

You can see my old computer towering in the background. It had a full server tower case and was completely state-of-the-art back in its day. That was more than 5 years ago. Now, I'm less about bigger is better and more about function.

The new case is extremely light and has a handle on the front to allow for mobility. Perfect for a college student who likes to go on campus to his friends house to write papers and get wasted. This new system will weigh right around 5-7 pounds.

If anyone needs a new computer and would like to save 30-50% off the pricing of companies like Dell, PM me.

very nice, very nice.

are you going to be using the 64bit version of Win Xp? how-about dual boot with osx??

spkrman
12-29-2006, 06:57 PM
PCEE

Typer73
12-29-2006, 07:09 PM
PC -- Dell XPS 600 with everything I could cram into the monster (including tv & surround sound). Great gamer!

ChinoCharles
12-30-2006, 12:41 AM
very nice, very nice.

are you going to be using the 64bit version of Win Xp? how-about dual boot with osx??

I am not really sure what OS I am going to run yet. It will most likely sit in storage until Microsoft releases Vista. No sense in going through the formatting process twice.

I will not be running a dual boot. I used to run Windows 2000 Pro and FreeBSD on a dual boot and found one operating system is plenty. I have no use for a second operating system... I only use it for e-mail, web browsing, web development and graphic design. As my curriculum gets more intense, though, I could see myself running Linux. I'm a CompSci major. :thumbsup: