PDA

View Full Version : Why is the liftback heavier than the sedan?

Idjiit
03-20-2006, 10:13 PM
...not by much, but it's heavier. I would assume it would be lighter since it's actually smaller. All the hatchback hardware? Bummer.

http://www.toyota.com/yaris/specs.html

Master
03-20-2006, 10:31 PM
you're weird...it's TWO...count em ONE TWO fucking pounds heavier.

you should work harder on getting a return on taxes or some shit

Idjiit
03-21-2006, 08:38 AM
Yeah, but intuitively I'd expect it to be maybe two hundred pounds lighter since it's missing two doors and is 16 inches shorter.

echo_hrs
03-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Because it is more compact, The hatchback needs more reinforcement in the suspension/bumpers etc, to meet crash specs, which adds weight.

why?
03-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Indeed. Odds are that it will also be more rigid, which means it will be easier to get it to handle better.

Sp33dY
03-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Indeed. Odds are that it will also be more rigid, which means it will be easier to get it to handle better.

The Hatch or Sedan?

Im quietly confident that the Sedan will be the better handling car ---- longer wheelbase, and better weight distribution.

why?
03-22-2006, 09:47 AM
The hatch is heavier, yet it is shorter by 16 inches. This means that the chassis is stiffer, which by itself will mean better handling.

A longer wheelbase does not equate to better handling. They make the wheelbase longer because the ride will be better. Shorter cars in general handle better.

There is no way to tell weight distrubution without putting the car onto a scale that measures the weight at each corner.

Both cars stock will prolly handle very similar. I just believe it will be easier to make the hatch handle better, in other terms, I believe aftermarket parts will be more effective on the hatch.

DJ_SpaRky
03-22-2006, 10:51 AM
FWD are almost always front heavy anyways