PDA

View Full Version : Why can spammers post faster than we can report it?

BailOut
06-11-2009, 04:41 PM
I know it does no good for us to report multiple posts from the same spammer but I am nonetheless curious why they can post faster than we can report?

Notice the time stamps in the first image. The spammer posted twice each minute for several minutes.

But when any of us users reports a post for any reason we are limited to doing so just once per minute as shown in the second image.

Loren
06-11-2009, 04:49 PM
I'd guess they're running a script that's rapid-firing the posts and ignoring the error messages. They probably manage to slip in a second post before the system has fully processed the first post just because they're doing it so fast.

Most of this kind of spamming is automated.

HTM Yaris
06-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Just an idea . On the Subaru boards , a person has to reply to 3 post before being allowed to post a thread .......

mikenacarato
06-11-2009, 10:17 PM
thats a good idea

Loren
06-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Nah. Spammers can script around that. I've seen them dig up ancient threads to post in on other forums.

The trick is to find a way to keep them from registering, but they're paying people in India $1/hr to hand-register, so there's really no good way for a forum this size to completely avoid spammers.

Sucks, but that's the way it is.

TinyGiant
06-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Nah. Spammers can script around that. I've seen them dig up ancient threads to post in on other forums.

The trick is to find a way to keep them from registering, but they're paying people in India $1/hr to hand-register, so there's really no good way for a forum this size to completely avoid spammers.

Sucks, but that's the way it is.

where do i sign up for that? lol

tk-421
06-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Yeah but why should the YW interface itself make it harder to report posts? Just take the timeout off already. :rolleyes:

HTM Yaris
06-12-2009, 02:21 AM
How about getting new registrants to submit a pic of their Yaris . Specifically a pic with a "that day" newspaper . The pic should include a specific part or view of the Yaris . Assign different parts/view of the Yaris for different day/week/month . For example : New registrant "Buttmunch" decides to become YW member on Oct 1st (Monday) . The part/view of the day/week/month could be gauge cluster (Or whatever the moderator decides). So "Buttmunch" would have to take a pic of their gauge cluster with a "that day" newspaper in the view . That way the spammers would have to take unpaid time and/or spend money to post on YW . Sure there may be a few that could slip through . Sure it would also deter some honest peeps from registering , but the best things in life are worth working for :smile: One drawback would be that YW moderators could possibly have more work , but it could also prevent alot of work .

About the ancient threads . Is it possible to put ancient threads in a "vault" only accessible by members by request to moderators who in turn issue a password to access ?

Or YW could become a pay to register site . A portion of the fee to be refunded after a probation period .

Oh Yeah , if these methods are adopted , current members should be "Grandfathered" in :smile:

:iono:

SilverBack
06-12-2009, 04:09 AM
^Not a bad idea. Someone had started a Myspace account with my name and email, so I had to send the admins a pic of myself holding up a sign with my email address to get it verified/canceled. Sure it was a PITA, but the account was deleted the same day. I suppose something like that could work here too

TinyGiant
06-12-2009, 09:07 AM
all they need to do is change the spam report time on the board so we can report faster

TinyGiant
06-12-2009, 09:10 AM
true

CompanyXPaladin
06-16-2009, 02:08 AM
I think the mods do a pretty decent job of keeping us spam-free. We have at least one mod on almost all the time. The minute-limit might be there to keep us from spamming the moderators.

eTiMaGo
06-16-2009, 02:56 AM
ahhaha yeah it can get a bit annoying to get 25 "there's a reported post on YarisWorld" emails at once... But thanks for doing that, guys :smile:

tomato
06-16-2009, 02:53 PM
I think the mods do a pretty decent job of keeping us spam-free.

I agree!

Maxh91
06-16-2009, 05:15 PM
ahhaha yeah it can get a bit annoying to get 25 "there's a reported post on YarisWorld" emails at once... But thanks for doing that, guys :smile:

SPAM is everywhere :thumbup:

scape
06-17-2009, 03:00 PM
why not change the minimum time between posts? phpbb3 should have that

tk-421
06-17-2009, 03:18 PM
why not change the minimum time between posts? phpbb3 should have that
+1
Actually these forums run under vBulletin, but I'm sure there's a similar option available.

silver_echo
06-24-2009, 03:21 AM

would you like some spam with your spam and a side of spam?(ad-libbed monty python)

Astroman
06-24-2009, 03:32 AM
If it is cheesy spam, I'm game! :rolleyes:

mikenacarato
07-10-2009, 11:23 AM
if all the spammers drive "man" arent they gay, assuming they are male spammers?

ChinoCharles
07-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Hey, look, a thread about spammers.

Tamago
07-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Hey, look, a thread about spammers.

one of the top thread topics on yarisworld.

1. help me pick wheels
2. help me pick springs
3. will the springs/wheels you've helped me pick rub?
4. why do i have to give a wheel width/offset/diameter and tire size for you to tell me i'm gonna rub?
5. do i need to cut my bump stops?
6. spammers?

i think in that order :laugh:

ChinoCharles
07-10-2009, 01:19 PM
If you count the moderator forum, you could add...

"Tamago is causing problems"

:laugh:

Tamago
07-10-2009, 01:47 PM
If you count the moderator forum, you could add...

"Tamago is causing problems"

"tamago didn't word his post in a way that made me feel smarter for asking the question he quick-replied to, so i'm reporting his ass."

mikenacarato
07-10-2009, 01:50 PM
well when i wake up...i grab my coffee, put the toast in the toaster, report tamago, then my toast is done! haha jk :)

Tamago
07-10-2009, 01:53 PM
well when i wake up...i grab my coffee, put the toast in the toaster, report tamago, then my toast is done! haha jk :)

all in good fun i hope :) i know most of y'all don't like the way i come across here.. i've tried to tone it down if you haven't noticed :laugh:

mikenacarato
07-10-2009, 02:01 PM
honestly, i could care less. im an asshole too sometimes. i havent reported you yet though, but you better watch it! ;)

ChinoCharles
07-10-2009, 02:07 PM
OK, so everyone done ranting? Yeah? Good! :smile: