PDA

View Full Version : Finally, 45 MPG!

minicorolla
06-11-2009, 08:04 PM
I've been toying with 43-44, last week was 44.9. This week I hit 45.59 with 7.988 gal. going 364.2 miles. I started taking a new route to work using a rural road at 40 - 55 MPH. for half my commute instead of the freeway. When I do get on the freeway, I stick to 60 MPH as much as possible. This week I've noticed if I'm going 60, I usually get a couple cars that start following me, especially if I'm behind a semi. Some times I go faster if the traffic warrants it, I don't want to create a bottleneck when there is a lot of traffic.

yaris-me
06-12-2009, 02:58 AM
Great!:thumbsup:

voodoo22
06-12-2009, 07:30 AM
It's great to see you rewarded for your effort.:w00t:

roxy1
06-12-2009, 09:40 AM
that is great mileage. surely you must be using 107 octane:headbang:

...oh, and ill never call you surely again.

09YarisNC
06-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Sounds great! My first fill up I got 39.9 miles per gallon.

I am very happy about this.

detroiter
06-12-2009, 11:41 AM
I don't have a scanguage or anything but the mpg difference between going 60mph and 70mph seems pretty big. can anyone supply some information in the mpg gain between doing 60 instead of 70?

voodoo22
06-12-2009, 08:05 PM
I don't have a scanguage or anything but the mpg difference between going 60mph and 70mph seems pretty big. can anyone supply some information in the mpg gain between doing 60 instead of 70?

about 5+ mpg less. For great fe you have to go 55 and under with no a/c.

minicorolla
06-12-2009, 08:19 PM
I use reg. gas from Shell mostly.
On my first tank I got about 38 MPG. Never really got good util 5K mi.
Shirley?

deerebilt
06-12-2009, 08:41 PM
my 08 sedan s 5sp 22k miles on reg gas overall since new 44 mpg although last to tanks just a hair over 50 mpg

Sodium Duck
06-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Nice!

minicorolla
06-13-2009, 08:18 AM
my 08 sedan s 5sp 22k miles on reg gas overall since new 44 mpg although last to tanks just a hair over 50 mpg

That's great deerebilt, a new goal for me!

nvidiaxtc
06-14-2009, 05:02 AM
Way better then me.

http://www.gassavers.org/gaslog/sig.php?id=2593 (http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/2593)

talnlnky
06-15-2009, 04:11 PM

there are tons of factors when going that speed. Drifting behind a semi I can get very high numbers, even when doing 70.

You can expect to see around 5-10MPG difference on average between the two speeds... especially if you don't try the "Hangtime" skill... Tho hangtime I think has been exaggerated, it does help. I don't think it really has anything to do with ECU maps or whatever, but rather physics of energy & torque required to speed up versus energy/torque required to maintain speed.

There are some times I notice that going slower makes it harder to get good mpg's than slightly faster... for example... I find it easier to get good numbers going around 60mph than 55mph on the highway I use to go home. Regardless of of fast I go I seem to use the same throttle possition after I get up to speed and back off on the trottle a bit. So really, the slower speed, but same usage of gas means I get lower mpg at 55. That doesn't appear to be true on all roads/highways tho.

Still haven't gotten to 45 yet. I lowered my tires back down to 40psi... so I don't know if i'll see it ever. 43's seem to be what I see. I had one 250+ mile trip that I got almost 48mpg on, But not for a full tank.

Hypermiler
06-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi folks,
New to the forum, happy to be here! I just purchased a 2009 Yaris 5-door (bayou blue). I got it 2 weeks ago today and the odometer hit 1000 miles tonight on the ride home. Averaging 39.77mpg so far! I love it!

Hypermiler
06-15-2009, 09:13 PM

This is a good read, rather long, but very good. Basically states that all vehicles begin to see a decrease in efficiency at speeds above 65mph due to wind resistance, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy_in_automobiles#Speed_and_fuel_economy _studies

minicorolla
06-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Yer off on the right foot! Read the stickies and it'll keep going up except in the winter.
Wait til you hit 5K, it'll be up there. Maybe my winter numbers are low (38) cuz of all the snow which you probably don't have in Jersey. But 38 isn't too bad.

Zaphod
06-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Congratulations!

voodoo22
06-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Drifting behind a semi I can get very high numbers, even when doing 70.

Please don't draft; aka tailgate; it's one of the most dangerous things you can do on the road.:thumbdown:

Yaris Hilton
06-17-2009, 09:39 AM
That's drafting.

voodoo22
06-17-2009, 01:36 PM
That's drafting.

:redface: Thanks!

minicorolla
06-17-2009, 09:26 PM
I try to stay about 5 car lenghts back with this car it's more like 10 so the driver can see me
Oh, by the way, I hit 46.1 for the last tank.
355 mi 7.6 something for the fillup. I'm happy!

sf180th
06-20-2009, 12:45 PM
I got the best mileage yet on a 1400+ trip I took for vacation I averaged 47mpg and almost all of the trip was on Toll roads at about 75-80 MPH!

metalshark
06-20-2009, 07:59 PM
My combined city-highway average with AC on is 41.44 now. 65 on the highway, 40 in the city. I use Chevron regular, Amsoil 5-30 in summer and Redline MT-90 in the tranny. The insulation has been on the stainless header for a year now with no problems.

minicorolla
07-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Down to a measly 44 this week. Alot of construction going on .

talnlnky
07-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Please don't draft; aka tailgate; it's one of the most dangerous things you can do on the road.:thumbdown:

did I mention how close I was? As myth busters showed, you don't have to tailgate to get gains... When doing 70mph... even 50-100ft behind will give noticeable improvements in efficiency.

Revsson
07-03-2009, 03:47 PM
I recently ventured down to Illinois on the Tollway. I kept it to the posted speed limits,
which if you are from Illinois, you know it's hard to do, especially in the construction
zones. However, since they have such a high fine for speeding in those zones, I
decided to stay in the right lane and do 45 mph where posted. I did not use the A/C,
as it was rather cool that day, but did use the cruise control.
I got 47.8 mpg, my highest so far this summer. :thumbup:

In contrast, last week or so when it was in the upper 80's and 90's, I had the A/C
running full blast and took a trip west. I got 40.95 mpg. Not bad considering I was
using the A/C. I'm just over 5400 miles on the car, in 8 months.
Carpooling, with me driving alternate days, and no long trips is
why I don't have that many miles on it. This past
winter, I had a low of 35 mpg.
Glad to hear that after 5000 miles, that mpgs might stay higher. :smile:

talnlnky
07-16-2009, 02:26 PM
last tank I got 45.5mpg... not drafting, just scenic highways to the mountains, on gravel roads, back down the mountains, and then to the ocean and back. 370miles, hoping to match that in town where I don't get to roll in DFCO for miles at a time.

gokartride
07-16-2009, 02:30 PM
last tank I got 45.5mpg...Manual tranny, no AC?? :smile:

KRAZGRL
07-21-2009, 02:55 AM
Man... for the life of me I can't get over 35-36mpg. Maybe it's living/commuting in the Orange County/Los Angeles areas that I can't drive slower than 70 on the fwy (when there's no traffic)... lol

I so want to try get over 40 but I just don't see how it's possible.

rningonfumes
07-21-2009, 03:06 AM
...it take some getting used to when you drive slower than most of the traffic. At first it will be odd, weird, and may even feel dangerous, but it wears off.

KRAZGRL
07-21-2009, 03:12 AM
...it take some getting used to when you drive slower than most of the traffic. At first it will be odd, weird, and may even feel dangerous, but it wears off.

Coming from an ex-street racer, lead-footed, speed freak driver... switching to a Yaris has been quite the change already. lol I guess it just takes time. Baby steps! I'll just try to increase my mpg 1mpg at a time. :biggrin:

50MPGDream
07-21-2009, 03:46 AM
Coming from an ex-street racer, lead-footed, speed freak driver... switching to a Yaris has been quite the change already I hear ya. I was in your shoes 2 years ago. A new driving style brings a new type of fun... regularly pulling in 45 MPG tanks is as much fun as a good burnout for me these days :)

Woody_Woodchuck
07-21-2009, 07:48 AM
True, it is a whole different world in the right lane. I find it much more relaxing than when I was a left lane’r. My 30 mile commute takes 5 minutes longer now but I enjoy my driving time more also.

If you are truly interested in getting great mileage it does take dedication and perseverance. Take it one step at a time, slow down, accelerate a little slower, then a bit slower… You’ll watch that mileage increase with every tank!

It can also be a little frustrating, but it is all in fun. I keep raising the bar on my mileage expectations and am a bit disappointed when I don’t make the mark. I’ve had 3 tanks less than 3 mpg from my latest hurdle and week by week I am getting closer. Once I reach that mark I will set another one a bit higher.

deerebilt
07-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Hit 52.10 mpg on last tank 478 mi on 9.174 gallons. my last 7 tanks have been 50+. dont know what i would get in a prius. but a prius is 10k more money and repairs when needed on hybrid would hurt..

RedRide
07-26-2009, 09:46 PM
It's "drafting" when on a track.
When on the highway, it's just plain ol' tailgating.

BTW, tailgating a semi is one sure method of colllecting "rock chips" on your front bumper. :wink:

daf62757
07-27-2009, 01:20 PM
It's "drafting" when on a track.
When on the highway, it's just plain ol' tailgating.

BTW, tailgating a semi is one sure method of colllecting "rock chips" on your front bumper. :wink:

80,000 pounds vs 2,000. Guess who will win that war of physics?

twowheels
07-27-2009, 02:33 PM
I have a hard time hitting 45 MPG consistently. My last fillup: 200 miles, 100 degree heat, 55 MPH and slower, no stop-and-go, A/C running as little as I could stand, slow acceleration, etc... still only 42 MPG. One problem that I face with this trip (which I make frequently) is the delta breeze that blows in from the ocean and into the valley... for half of the trip I'm facing directly into the wind and the tailwind for the first half does NOT make up for the losses on the way back. The wind is always blowing and always in the same direction during this trip.

Woody_Woodchuck
07-28-2009, 07:43 AM
One thing I noticed while trying to beat the wind factor is that I felt the need to press harder on the gas pedal than was necessary. There is a range where the more you press, it really does very little to help acceleration, at least on my Yaris. Try this, get up to cruising speed and hold a steady speed. Let up on the gas ever so slightly and hold it there for 30 seconds. Keep letting up in small increments until you start to slow down. Then press down that little bit it took to get you from maintaining speed to slowing down. Resting the right side of your right foot against the console carpet can help you make these tiny adjustments and hold them steady. According to my Scan Gauge 2 this range can yield as great as a 15 mpg difference, 10 mpg is more the average range.

It also takes a few seconds for my Yaris to actually accelerate when using this technique. Don’t expect the tires to light up with instantaneous neck-snapping acceleration. Press a little then give it a few seconds to see if it is working.

I can experience a few mph slow down from gusts of wind. You are cruising at 55 mph and all of a sudden you can feel it slow, check and you are now going 53 mph or slower. Don’t mash down on the gas to regain this speed, you can drop 20 mpg or better doing this! It really does suck down the gas trying to accelerate fast while you are going over 45 mph. Instead, go to the incremental increase technique. Your foot is exactly where it needs to be to hold a steady speed so all it will take is one small increment down to get it to accelerate! So it takes a mile to gain that speed back, you will be sipping gas while doing it.

Granted, sometimes nothing helps. I can be cruising a section of highway that I usually pull a steady 55 mpg on. With a strong, steady head wind I might only be able to squeeze 40 mpg out of this stretch. So be it, I just have to make it up somewhere else, like where there is a tailwind using the incremental acceleration thing.

BailOut
07-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Great information and advice, Woody. :thumbup:

Keith Tinari
07-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Just out of curiosity, My last bar is blinking at 325 miles any ideas on where I am at? I dont know what the calculations are. I do know that I still have say what 40 miles left on that tank?

Yaris Hilton
07-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Last bar means you've got right about 1 gallon left.

minicorolla
07-31-2009, 09:13 PM
A comparison:
This week I'm doing everything wrong, Driving 70MPH, hard acceleration, etc. just to see what I get. Mostly the same route but with more freeway. After driving country roads, I hate the freeway even more! I fill up tomorrow.

minicorolla
08-02-2009, 08:52 PM
423.3 Miles, 10.222 Gals. = 41.4 MPG.
Guess I didn't try hard enough.
Going back to the country roads tomorrow.

microbe__
09-14-2009, 03:27 AM
hi friends,
those numbers do not sound reasonable to me. we here drive 1.4 D-4d diesels and nearly reach 45 mpg
may be its cuz of fuel quality or something else
i always drive carefully trying not to pass 55-60 mph, use the throtle as if there is an egg under it :) and take the cut off in to account..with these driving habits here is my calculation.

37lt 690 km

9,77Gallon 428Miles...i guess it corresponds to 44 MPG

am i doing something wrong or do you guys run on uranium :iono:

rningonfumes
09-14-2009, 09:24 PM
minicorolla: You're doing great so far, I beleive you should heed more of Woody Woodchuck's advice more. Try harder to stick to the lower mph and you should reach more consecutive 45mpg numbers. I hate to use these sayings but... 55 will get you 45 (or more).

microbe: Your numbers seem correct, you are definitely using US gallons and not imperial gallons. You actually have the advantage being the diesel. There is a European member here whom I'm very jealous of, he gets from 50-55mpg easily on the diesel. I don't know how to address your problem.

Zaphod
09-17-2009, 09:24 AM
there are tons of factors when going that speed. Drifting behind a semi I can get very high numbers, even when doing 70.

You can expect to see around 5-10MPG difference on average between the two speeds... especially if you don't try the "Hangtime" skill... Tho hangtime I think has been exaggerated, it does help. I don't think it really has anything to do with ECU maps or whatever, but rather physics of energy & torque required to speed up versus energy/torque required to maintain speed.

There are some times I notice that going slower makes it harder to get good mpg's than slightly faster... for example... I find it easier to get good numbers going around 60mph than 55mph on the highway I use to go home. Regardless of of fast I go I seem to use the same throttle possition after I get up to speed and back off on the trottle a bit. So really, the slower speed, but same usage of gas means I get lower mpg at 55. That doesn't appear to be true on all roads/highways tho.

Still haven't gotten to 45 yet. I lowered my tires back down to 40psi... so I don't know if i'll see it ever. 43's seem to be what I see. I had one 250+ mile trip that I got almost 48mpg on, But not for a full tank.
I just got 54.5 on a trip from St. Louis to Indianapolis and back with some city driving in between. That's no scanguage/ecometer, and the car still hasn't even had it's first oil change (although I'm doing that today just to get it out of the way before winter kicks in).

I usually get 43.6 average between my tanks, but the biggest factors for me was the city to highway ratio, and the fact that the engine was warmed up well as normal daily trips are just not long enough to warm up fully.

Of course, I hypermilled big time to prove a friendly point to a Prius owner, allowing for 45-60 on hills and generally cruising at a mere 50 on relatively flat stretches. I was able to achieve all of that staying within the speed minimum/maximum ranges fairly easily. I don't think I could have gotten above 50 by just remaining at 60 the whole way, especially on the hills.

I've yet to hear from someone tailgating a semis (which is dangerous anyway) achieve those same numbers, and doubt I ever will as they're still running their engine at higher RPMs.

talnlnky
09-17-2009, 05:04 PM
I have a hard time hitting 45 MPG consistently. My last fillup: 200 miles, 100 degree heat, 55 MPH and slower, no stop-and-go, A/C running as little as I could stand, slow acceleration, etc... still only 42 MPG. One problem that I face with this trip (which I make frequently) is the delta breeze that blows in from the ocean and into the valley... for half of the trip I'm facing directly into the wind and the tailwind for the first half does NOT make up for the losses on the way back. The wind is always blowing and always in the same direction during this trip.

as long as I don't do highway trips of more than 100miles I seem to be able to be in the 44-46mpg range very consistently. My commute to work is now what keeps my mpg's up... it used to be what kept it down. I'm hoping to be getting 40+ mpg tanks throughout the winter. Last winter i saw my tanks drop down to 37-38mpg.

minicorolla
09-28-2009, 08:43 PM
45.9 and 45.7 for the last two tanks. Not too bad. After my last fill up, I talked to a guy at the next pump with a Honda shadow. He gets 44 mpg at 70. Got his attention! I just didn't tell him I drove 63 mph or less. Let's see how I do with the winter gas coming up.

2+2
09-28-2009, 09:24 PM
I've yet to hear from someone tailgating a semis (which is dangerous anyway) achieve those same numbers, and doubt I ever will as they're still running their engine at higher RPMs.

Just to let you know, I drive a semi and when I see someone trying to catch a draft back there I usually slow down until they give up and go around. I'm not even sure why I do that. I mean if anything goes south while they're back there and they end up underneath my trailer it's their fault not mine. But then I guess my to-do is full enough and I just hate the thought of adding keeping them healthy to the list. That probably sounds cold and I guess it is.

Congrats on the 45 mpg!

minicorolla
09-29-2009, 08:23 PM
If I'm behind a truck, the driver will see my headlights. I draft at sixty, one hundred feet. Don't like driving blind. Slower is better!

1stToyota
10-07-2009, 08:41 AM
I just went over 45 mpg for the first time [45.17], using Sinclair, not using the a/c this week except for a couple of days, running 28 psi for 5 of those days :redface: ...and managing to break the speed limits every day. :drool:

DevilGirl
10-07-2009, 08:53 AM
I just went over 45 mpg for the first time [45.17], using Sinclair, not using the a/c this week except for a couple of days, running 28 psi for 5 of those days :redface: ...and managing to break the speed limits every day. :drool:

Flat roads? Or nice rolling hills that never stop, but just keep on "rollin, rollin, rollin"?

1stToyota
10-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Flat roads? Or nice rolling hills that never stop, but just keep on "rollin, rollin, rollin"?

Roughly 2/3rds boring, flat highway, 1/3rd boring flat city driving, but I usually avoid the heaviest traffic because I'm ahead of morning rush hour and later than the evening rush hour, except on Wednesdays I get in a little bit of the 5pm mess.

DevilGirl
10-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Roughly 2/3rds boring, flat highway, 1/3rd boring flat city driving, but I usually avoid the heaviest traffic because I'm ahead of morning rush hour and later than the evening rush hour, except on Wednesdays I get in a little bit of the 5pm mess.

I'd love flat roads! At least a few of them anyway. My commute consists of mostly highway (speed limit of 65, so I usually hang around 70). But because it's a constant up and down, up and down, up and down, the entire 50 miles there and back, I'm luck to get even close to 38, let alone over 40. And that's with really cutting back on my hard accellerations.

minicorolla
10-09-2009, 08:01 PM
45 is a magic number. makes you feel good when you reach it.

kameele
10-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I've had my first two fillups on my new sedan and made about 41.5 mpg each time. I have a 50 mile each way commute that's 95% highway. I was traveling about 65 with the cruise control on. I still have to fill up every 4th day, but put a lot less in each time. Big change from the 25mpg I got with my Outback. Looking forward to many more of these happy fillups!

minicorolla
10-11-2009, 10:45 AM
try 62 and lose the cruise.