PDA

View Full Version : Changing drum brakes to discs?

eTiMaGo
09-23-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm in a bit of a quandary... The Yaris here is only available with a manual transmission at the lowest spec level (damn lazy drivers!), and this means a lot of options are not included in the car such as the engine start-stop button, etc etc, and the rear brakes are drum brakes :(

So for both esthetic and performance reasons, I'd like to change those to disc brakes. Question is, does this seem feasible at all? Should I try to put in the stock rear disc brake system from a higher-spec Yaris, or go for an aftermarket upgrade for all wheels (and, which are recommended?)

Thanks!

vodkalush
09-23-2006, 10:52 AM
I was looking into this a couple months ago.... I thought I had found a direct replacement kit.... but I'm not sure. I will take another look and see if i can dig somthing up

ScottFern
09-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Great question. In for an answer!

ChinoCharles
09-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Yay for this thread!

jeff_o
09-25-2006, 04:16 PM
etimago, don't be sad... we have rear drum brakes for our 07 yaris as well. they make the car cheaper by putting drum instead of discs.

Katana
09-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Same problem here too.

I have purchased the most expensive model (Sol+) and the rear brakes are drum brakes.The greek Toyota Co. installs normal brakes at the back only if the car is equipped with traction and stability control.