PDA

View Full Version : 41.2mpg!

Hypermiler
06-23-2009, 11:52 PM
I've had my 2009 Yaris 5-door for 3 weeks. Just filled up tonight and I averaged 41.2mpg on the last tank! AWESOME!!

I am hoping to one day hit 45mpg when I can get a good, long highway drive in somewhere. I live in Delaware and have family in NY, so if I ever drive the Yaris to NY, I might just hit 45.... But usually, we take my wife's truck (a big, guzzlin' Expidition with a serious V-8) that gets around (GASP) 15mpg!

So the household average is still over 28mpg... about average, I suppose...

YotaYaris
06-24-2009, 12:03 AM
Are you using any HyperMiler tricks ?

Astroman
06-24-2009, 12:39 AM
I was able to achieve over 43mpg in my girlfriend's '09 5spd liftback with NO hypermiler tricks on a 300 mile trip with a full load of my stuff (moving).

jambo101
06-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Just returned to Montreal from Boston and managed a best average of 47mpg.:thumbup:

AlexNet0
06-26-2009, 09:14 PM
I actually get my best average in-town driving, or between towns with no highway, I believe it is because I can shift very low and still maintain speed with other traffic

Kaotic Lazagna
06-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Congrats. I used to average 40-42 mpg w/o any techniques, but my car was all stock and came with the crappy Eagle LS tires (great for FE, but horrible for anything else).

I'm average 43 mpg with some hypermiling techniques, but then again, I have stickier tires than stock, and a sub (extra weight, and robs some power when turned up).

Hypermiler
06-27-2009, 08:36 AM
I haven't been using any hypermiling techniques to achieve 41.2mpg. Just very careful application of the throttle! I try to coast for as long as possible, so when I see a red light ahead, I will let off the gas as soon as I see it. Many times, I will coast towards the light and it changes to green before I arrive at the intersection. I rarely have to use the brakes in cases such as that. Another thing I do it not use the AC in the morning when it is still cool out, just use the air coming in from the vents. At night when I drive home, it's far too hot to do this, but I cut AC usage in half. This may or may not be an option for many, depending on your local climate and heat tolerance.

Also, I don't keep anything in the car that I don't need. No golf clubs, beach gear, bags of grass seed and the like from the garden center, etc. It all kills the mileage.

Kaotic Lazagna
06-27-2009, 10:02 PM
hahaha, I love your last statement.

But yeah, when I'm by myself, I won't use the A/C unless I'm about to pass out, and that's even with having a very low heat tolerance. However, I carpool, so I have to use the A/C when my friends are in the car.

I also keep some cleaning supplies (glass cleaner, bug remover, and detailer spray) along with a terry cloth or two, and a pair of shoes (I usually wear flip-flops, so just in case I'll have to put on shoes). hahahaha.

Cosworth
06-29-2009, 12:48 PM
You need to go on a long trip... you'll be amazed at the mpg you get on the highway.

(According to my ecometer, there is simply no way I can get better gas mileage in-town... pretty much any 0-30mph acceleration at even the most excruciating pace will light up "red" on the meter. )

I actually get my best average in-town driving, or between towns with no highway, I believe it is because I can shift very low and still maintain speed with other traffic

Woody_Woodchuck
06-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Congratulations on the great mileages! A little effort can pay big dividends. I’m practicing my mileage techniques for when gas prices go up again, I want to be ready.

CKaelin
06-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Yeah MPGs!

Hypermiler
06-30-2009, 06:48 AM
Congrats. I used to average 40-42 mpg w/o any techniques, but my car was all stock and came with the crappy Eagle LS tires (great for FE, but horrible for anything else).

I'm average 43 mpg with some hypermiling techniques, but then again, I have stickier tires than stock, and a sub (extra weight, and robs some power when turned up).

Are you using the stock rims or aftermarket? If that picture is of your ride, then you don't need to answer (looks HOT!). I have 15" steel rims with Potenza RE50 (I think...). Anyway, I was wondering what the weight od a stock 15" steel rim is and how much unsprung weight savings could be had by going with an alloy rim (still staying w/ 15" as I don't want to trade for a lighter rim but heavier/bigger tires).

Then I was wondering how much total weight will I save? 20lbs.? 30lbs.? That got me thinking, I may end up spending $$hundreds$$ on rims to save 20-30lbs. If I hit the treadmill, I could stand to drop about 30lbs. (per my doctor)...and it won't cost me a dime!

So there you have it - in the name of greater fuel economy, I will drop 30lbs. I am at 210 now. Let's see how I do.... and if the mileage goes up!

Hypermiler
06-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Kaotic,
I just read about your car - the specs are killer!
"17"x7" ADR "Ikari" RS-Limited wheels wrapped with Falken Ziex 912's"

NOT stock rims !
:-)

Lazerdot
06-30-2009, 10:01 PM
I had heard once that 1lb of rotating mass can equal 12lbs dead weight? If true a few pounds saved on wheels would seem to be pretty valuable.

We just drove 178 miles on and off highways. Got 39.87mpg on regular fuel and stock wheels and tires. Had a bit of fun on the road too... I have an Afe intake, TRD exhaust, and NST underdrive pully. We got almost 43 mpg on our trip to OKC from DFW area.

Hypermiler
06-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Wow! I have to check that out! If that is true (1lb. of rotating weight = 12lbs. of dead weight), that could potentially pay nice returns at the pump.

Kaotic Lazagna
07-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Are you using the stock rims or aftermarket? If that picture is of your ride, then you don't need to answer (looks HOT!). I have 15" steel rims with Potenza RE50 (I think...). Anyway, I was wondering what the weight od a stock 15" steel rim is and how much unsprung weight savings could be had by going with an alloy rim (still staying w/ 15" as I don't want to trade for a lighter rim but heavier/bigger tires).

Then I was wondering how much total weight will I save? 20lbs.? 30lbs.? That got me thinking, I may end up spending $$hundreds$$ on rims to save 20-30lbs. If I hit the treadmill, I could stand to drop about 30lbs. (per my doctor)...and it won't cost me a dime!

So there you have it - in the name of greater fuel economy, I will drop 30lbs. I am at 210 now. Let's see how I do.... and if the mileage goes up!

Kaotic,
I just read about your car - the specs are killer!
"17"x7" ADR "Ikari" RS-Limited wheels wrapped with Falken Ziex 912's"

NOT stock rims !
:-)

Certainly not stock rims, but they're as light, if not, lighter than the 15" steelies. Only downside is I didn't research the tire weight. Those Falken's are HEAVY! Wish I had bought another set of Parada Spec-2's. Those were stickier, but I still got better gas mileage than the 912's since the Spec-2's were lighter.

My mileage is going to get worse. I'm trying/am gaining weight. hahahaha. At least 10 lbs heavier from when my car was stock. hahahaha.

toyo
07-02-2009, 11:44 AM
damn seems like 09 brand new yaris are getting awesome mpg, I read that when you get one brand new you get like 32 mpg all the way till 5000 mile service and then you improve mpg, but this sound great, I wish I didn't do city driving all the time, can't break 38 mpg!!!!!!! damn it. and mine is a 1.3L.

Yaris Hilton
07-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Mine's at 4100 miles now. Filled up yesterday, 38.9 MPG. Maybe the spinners give me a boost.

Hypermiler
07-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Fiiled up again this morning. 41.7mpg! SO much has to do with the fact that the roads where I am are all FLAT. I mean FLAT. Plus, there aren't many stop & go areas where I drive to and from work, pretty rural (farms, small towns, etc.). But this is much better than the 24mpg that I was getting with my old Buick!

metalshark
07-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Two consecutive in-town tanks with AC on, 42.4 MPG. Not a fluke. (but its got some mods) 105 F here today with monsoon humidity.

Yaris Hilton
07-03-2009, 01:55 AM
It's nothing close to flat here. The little hill on my street just before I get home I used to coast down at 38.5 MPH when I was commuting on my bicycle. I accelerate up a more gradual slope to about 35 MPH before I hit it.

cdavidhess
07-03-2009, 12:40 PM
For me, highway mileage is definitely better. Three weeks ago I traveled from Rochester, NY, across PA, down into WV. I got 44.9 mpg, averaging 70 mph with no ac.

Hypermiler
07-04-2009, 06:29 PM
For me, highway mileage is definitely better. Three weeks ago I traveled from Rochester, NY, across PA, down into WV. I got 44.9 mpg, averaging 70 mph with no ac.

That is AWESOME!! 44.9 - That's as good (if not better than) what you'll get in a Civic Hybrid or a Prius.

Beware the hybrid hype!

If auto manufacturer's could turn a profit on these low-dollar micro-cars (like the Yaris), they'd be tauting the mileage these things get. The hybrid is much sexier and WAY more marketable, so people fork over the bigger dollars for the honor of driving "green".

We, the Yaris owners, know the truth...

Congrats on your awesome mileage!

snerism
07-11-2009, 04:01 AM
Mostly highways .. 3338 miles ~ 40MPG (60-62 MPH) .. not bad at all! =)

AlexNet0
07-11-2009, 08:48 AM
You need to go on a long trip... you'll be amazed at the mpg you get on the highway.

(According to my ecometer, there is simply no way I can get better gas mileage in-town... pretty much any 0-30mph acceleration at even the most excruciating pace will light up "red" on the meter. )

I get consistant 40's around here, I got 35 on my last highway trip

Lafiro
07-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Everyone here is lucky.

I got I think it was exactly 28MPG average last tank. Which is about average for my heavy foot/larger rims/tires.

One thing that amazes me, is I live in such a crowded place, people should look at the highway cameras to see how this place really is. Cause if it isn't stop and go on the highway and quick acceleration, then its red lights and stop signs every block or two.

http://www.trafficland.com/city/NYC/

Yaris Hilton
07-15-2009, 12:34 AM
You're getting very nearly the EPA city estimate. I think that's good under the circumstances you describe. You can't always have amazingly high mileage.

Kaotic Lazagna
07-15-2009, 01:19 AM
No flats where I'm at. And when I'm in the city, MANY, MANY stop and go.

Hypermiler
07-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Everyone here is lucky.

I got I think it was exactly 28MPG average last tank. Which is about average for my heavy foot/larger rims/tires.

One thing that amazes me, is I live in such a crowded place, people should look at the highway cameras to see how this place really is. Cause if it isn't stop and go on the highway and quick acceleration, then its red lights and stop signs every block or two.

http://www.trafficland.com/city/NYC/

I see you're in NYC. I lived in NY metro area for 36 years. Moved out 3 years ago. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about!!

deerebilt
07-17-2009, 08:41 PM
im so excited my last 6 tanks have been 50 to 52 mpg.. im lovin it