PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Cleaner

gokartride
07-13-2009, 02:57 PM
With so much plastic in the Yaris interior I thought I'd mention that I have used this (http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_plastic_deep_cleaner.html#) plastic cleaner for many years and have always been very impressed. Works great on the Yaris! I was using some this weekend and thought I'd share.

tomato
08-24-2009, 05:23 PM
thanks! that's for the inside, though. What do you use on the outside of the Yaris, on the rubber parts around the windshield, etc.?

Goose
08-26-2009, 03:27 AM
A good product for cleaning interior and exterior plastic/rubber/vinyl is Meguiar's #40 cleaner. #40 is great stuff that actually CLEANS the material (look at your cloth when you use it). I don't like the shiny finish from Armor-All and others; #40 cleans the rubber/etc and leaves a nice, like-new appearance. A new set of tires, for example, isn't shiny. Same situation with a plastic dashboard (a call to Meguair's confirms that you can use #40 on plastic) - new plastic, at least in the Yaris, doesn't shine.

I hate to sound like a Meguair's geek (I recommended Scratch-X in another thread), but they really do make good stuff.

Here's a link to the product description at their website: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+RUB+16

tomato
08-26-2009, 12:17 PM
A good product for cleaning interior and exterior plastic/rubber/vinyl is Meguiar's #40 cleaner. #40 is great stuff that actually CLEANS the material (look at your cloth when you use it). I don't like the shiny finish from Armor-All and others; #40 cleans the rubber/etc and leaves a nice, like-new appearance. A new set of tires, for example, isn't shiny. Same situation with a plastic dashboard (a call to Meguair's confirms that you can use #40 on plastic) - new plastic, at least in the Yaris, doesn't shine.

I hate to sound like a Meguair's geek (I recommended Scratch-X in another thread), but they really do make good stuff.

Here's a link to the product description at their website: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+RUB+16

Thank you. Meguiar's is good stuff :bow: and has an excellent reputation (I went to a small shop that does car and bikes restoration, and they highly recommended Meguiars.

I bought a slightly different Meguiars product for the dashboard (safe on plastic, interiors) but it doesn't say anything on the bottle about exterior rubbers, which take far more of a beating than the interior does; I tried it anyway, and it didn't remove much of the stuff my car has accumulated especially in the area under the windshield wipers. So, I'll definitely have a look at your recommendation, thanks.

Other members recommended something called Turtle Ice, have you ever tried that?

Goose
08-27-2009, 06:42 PM
I've seen Turtle Ice on the shelf at my local auto parts store, but haven't tried it. While I'm sure Turtle Ice works, at least to a degree, I prefer not to have tons of different products in my garage. Isn't that an "all over the car" kind of product? I'll look it up after posting this, 'cause now I'm curious.

The one thing you can never have too much of in your detailing arsenal is lots of good quality CLEAN towels (both terry and microfiber). Don't be afraid to go through lots of towels - that's what washing machines are for. Don't mix terry and microfiber in the washer, though!

EDIT: After looking at the Turtle Wax website, I wouldn't use Turtle Ice. Few products do everything well, and a product that promises to clean/shine every surface on the car just doesn't do it for me.

tomato
08-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Roger that, Kevin, thanks. I have no problem staying with Meguiar's. I'd rather have 2 or 3 of the good stuff that works well, than 625 sprays, cans and what not, that I'll never use again.

RevoluScion
10-07-2009, 01:38 PM
have you used smartwax products?

tomato
10-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Oh, I just got it...

RevoluScion, you're advertising, aren't ya? Beware that this forum doesn't like unauthorized advertising. You're new, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, but now you know, soooooooooooooooo.... careful there!

RevoluScion
10-08-2009, 02:33 PM
^again my friend the tomato....not advertising...lol...this is too funny.

tomato
10-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Yeah, seeing that you posted the same "smartwax" comment on several posts, and nothing else, ya gotta admit it's an honest mistake on my part, I mean, ya know? :biggrin: Enjoy the forum.