PDA

View Full Version : My dyno and what to do about it

ChinoCharles
07-29-2009, 01:04 PM
http://i26.tinypic.com/v481fm.jpg

Discuss. :laugh: Nexus, Tamago, Garm, etc... if you'd like to bring some of our private conversations into this thread to add to the knowledgebase of the community, feel free. I'll post some of what I took away from it when I'm not at work. I'll just say that I'm excited at what this thing will do when the tune is right! Looks like that 180 WHP might be in this thing after all.

Sorry for the crap picture. They're supposed to e-mail me the actual graph eventually. Also, no AFR! I need me a wideband, like, yesterday.

Tamago
07-29-2009, 01:08 PM
you need to pull fuel out in that valley.

honestly the graph is useless without an AFR chart :( sorry dude.

i'd imagine you're pulling too much timing with the Blue too.

time to buy a wideband! *cough cough*

ChinoCharles
07-29-2009, 01:11 PM
No, you're right and I know that. I guess question one is, well, a multi-part question. LOL

[1] Is the e-manage blue strong enough to continue under the assumption that this is what I'll be using to tune it OR do I need to start thinking standalone?
[2] What widebands would work well?
[3] What is this Nexus keeps talking about regarding a narrowband sim and why is that so important?

Tamago
07-29-2009, 01:15 PM
1. the emanage has potential to do the job, because you're only running 10 psi. you're well within the parameters available in the emanage at this point.
2. any wideband will work, most are 5 wire "bosch" setups. my Innovate G2 (LC1+ gauge) actually comes with a wideband controller that will simulate your stock o2 sensor if need be, and has narrowband and wideband outputs built in, as well as some datalogging. great unit (IMO better than the AEM unit)
3. narrowband SIM is used to basically trick the stock ECU into seeing "stoich" even when it's not. so you can add fuel without the stock ECU fighting the Greddy unit.

ChinoCharles
07-29-2009, 01:18 PM
OK, so step one is probably:

[1] Get and install a wideband
[2] Get a cable for the e-manage, the software and a laptop
[3] Go to the track and datalog a run

Does that seem reasonable?

Tamago
07-29-2009, 01:21 PM
don't need to do track to datalog. i recommend street tuning, since the car is primarily driven on the street. make it easy to drive, and the power will come second (but still improve over your current numbers.. unless there's something wrong with your snail)

ChinoCharles
07-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Well the good news is that the impeller spins freely and there is no shaft play. We just checked it last weekend.

Street tuning it is.

cali yaris
07-29-2009, 01:47 PM
agreed that without an a/f curve, you can't do much with that dyno chart. Further, a boost curve would be really useful too. If you're making full boost (10psi) but not power and the equipment is sound, you need fuel and timing adjustments to bring that number up.

something odd though - our rev limiter is 6250, but your dyno goes past that. What's up with that? Tamago?

ChinoCharles
07-29-2009, 01:48 PM
I just posted it to show that it needs help, basically. We can still figure out what needs to be done. The apparent answer is I need some AFR readings pronto, which I already knew but I like having you guys chime in every step of the way. I trust y'all. Why this is happening (power flatline) will come with time and a little effort.

Tamago
07-29-2009, 02:22 PM
something odd though - our rev limiter is 6250, but your dyno goes past that. What's up with that? Tamago?

are you sure that's not 6520? 62 is really low.

mikenacarato
07-29-2009, 02:26 PM
my car hits 6500 then bounces

CASTREX
07-29-2009, 03:47 PM
^^

Yeap, the redline is at 6,400rpm and the limiter will kick in very shortly after it. So 6,500 sounds about right...

cali yaris
07-29-2009, 03:47 PM
6250 is our rev limiter, most of the dynos show peak power at about 5800, including mine both stock and turbo'd.

yeah i see mine over-revving too.

CASTREX
07-29-2009, 04:09 PM
3. narrowband SIM is used to basically trick the stock ECU into seeing "stoich" even when it's not. so you can add fuel without the stock ECU fighting the Greddy unit.

So basically could allow us to remove the OE O2 sensor and have it replaced it with a wideband and feed the ECU with the simulated signal?

Would this have the same "effect" of a MAF clamp?

Doesn't our cars have some sort of hybrid O2 sensor? I read somewere that although the OE sensor is not a wideband it is somewhat more advance than a regular narrow band sensor...

Just some thoughts.

ChinoCharles
07-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Keep the thoughts coming. I'll be referencing this thread often in the coming weeks and I need the info.

Tamago
07-29-2009, 04:24 PM
6250 is our rev limiter, most of the dynos show peak power at about 5800, including mine both stock and turbo'd.

yeah i see mine over-revving too.

where are you getting this 6250 number?

cali yaris
07-29-2009, 04:27 PM
My car. If you rev up your motor slowly, that's where the rev limiter engages -- at least on my car it does. Anyone else test in that way?

Tamago
07-29-2009, 04:29 PM
My car. If you rev up your motor slowly, that's where the rev limiter engages -- at least on my car it does. Anyone else test in that way?

your car has stand-alone engine management.

ChinoCharles
07-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Mine definitely revs above 6,250. 6,500 is limit.

Nexus1155
07-29-2009, 08:10 PM
OK you punk, so heres the deal, i got the cable and a pressure sensor to send you in the mail so you will be on your way, hopefully that wideband can sim a narrowband signal. then we can get rid of your CEL and get to logging and tuning the car how it should be tuned. and that little dropoff that your prob sensing, i dont remember where you said is prob where the system sees boost and is like HOLY S why is there pressure like that

ChinoCharles
07-29-2009, 08:28 PM
LOL. Plan is to buy Tamago's wideband next week. Onwards!

Penguin Garage
07-30-2009, 12:29 AM
sucks they didn't plug in a tail pipe sniffer to get you some A/F readings. :(

peak increase looks good though, over 40hp over stock is a nice bump. :)

Will be following, once a viable tuning solution and some of the bugs are figured out we may go boosted. :)

Nexus1155
07-30-2009, 01:08 AM
Chino i actually got a 2.5BAR MAP Sensor for you right here from an Audi with harness. Should be good for about 22psi like youll ever see that much!!! :P :P Very Simple, just find some place to plug it on the intake, comes with 3 Wires, should just be Signal, 5v, ground right into the connector and you should be good to go, or hopefully lol

So with the jankyness were rigging up, with the wideband, MAP Sensor, and injector harness, and soon ignition harness you should be running at the peak of your peeformance

cali yaris
07-30-2009, 02:20 AM
your car has stand-alone engine management.

duh. which is currently set to 7000. I meant before that, sorry if I wasn't clear that we were talking about the rev limiter in the stock Yaris ECU.

ChinoCharles
07-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Chino i actually got a 2.5BAR MAP Sensor for you right here from an Audi with harness. Should be good for about 22psi like youll ever see that much!!! :P :P Very Simple, just find some place to plug it on the intake, comes with 3 Wires, should just be Signal, 5v, ground right into the connector and you should be good to go, or hopefully lol

So with the jankyness were rigging up, with the wideband, MAP Sensor, and injector harness, and soon ignition harness you should be running at the peak of your peeformance

You are the man!

ChinoCharles
08-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Map sensor: CHECK

Audi boost sensor... to be the fourth manufacturer's part to be installed on this car. :laugh: Thanks Nexus!

ChinoCharles
08-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Oh, update: Big 3 Racing in Medina, Ohio agreed to run the car on the dyno with a wideband and scan the codes and give me a proper reading and all that fun crap. I'm trying to get in there this weekend.

cali yaris
08-05-2009, 06:58 PM
to be the fourth manufacturer's part to be installed on this car.

I bet you have more than four. :wink: I've never counted, probably shouldn't. LOL

ChinoCharles
08-05-2009, 06:59 PM
CAR manufacturer. LOL. Toyota, Mitsubishi, BMW, Audi... what am I missing?

Nexus1155
08-06-2009, 01:19 AM
LOL what do you have from a BMW?! But yeah no problem, hopefully the cable works out well for you too, but i still need to find out what kind of pressure sensor that is. I know it sends 0-5v which is fine, just need to see what it reads to... I'm almost positive its 2.5bar

cali yaris
08-06-2009, 11:36 AM
to be the fourth manufacturer's part to be installed on this car.

Apparently, I was missing the word CAR. LOL

But an overall brand list WOULD be kind of fun. :wink:

ChinoCharles
08-06-2009, 02:25 PM
UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Monkey Wrench Racing in Michigan. They tuned a local 2ZZ with an e-manage blue and I was referred by him, and after reading up on their projects I think I'm going to Michigan. If anyone is going to figure it out, they will. They're the guys you go to to make serious power in your Lotus. Might need an E-manage ultimate, but I'm going to leave that to the experts. The tuner is @ Bonneville for the next week or so so I won't know for sure until later this month.

CASTREX
08-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Good Call.

MWR are the guys to ask when it comes down to the 1ZZ and the 2ZZ engines. Close enough to our little 1NZ.

BTW, did I mention that I received a confirmation from Boomslang and they will be coming out a PnP FIC harness for the yaris in the next few weeks?
off topic, but this should be goos news for the people looking into FI.

ChinoCharles
08-17-2009, 12:59 PM
UPDATE: Just talked to MWR and we're slated to tune my car in two months, mid October sometime. That will give me enough time to tie some things up on this end. The wait begins.

cali yaris
08-17-2009, 01:06 PM
awesome!! meet ya at IA next year?

ChinoCharles
08-17-2009, 01:12 PM
It is on my friend!