PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Capacity ?

ttufrosty
10-06-2006, 12:08 AM
I know that the tank holds 11.1 gal (US), and there are 8 bars on the fuel gauge. Doing thte math that would suggest each bar would represent 1.38 gallons per bar. However as I drive, much like my last car, I noticed that it goes really slow through the first 2 or 3 bars and very quickly through the last three bars.

What I am curious about is how much fuel is left in the tank when the fauge reaches the last bar (blinking one). I usually fill up when I hit a 1/4 of a tank, but hit the blinking a few days ago, and when I filled up I noticed that I was really close to the 11 gal mark. I have looked all throughout the forums with no luck.

ItsMyDaily
10-06-2006, 12:31 AM
I know that the tank holds 11.1 gal (US), and there are 8 bars on the fuel gauge. Doing thte math that would suggest each bar would represent 1.38 gallons per bar. However as I drive, much like my last car, I noticed that it goes really slow through the first 2 or 3 bars and very quickly through the last three bars.

What I am curious about is how much fuel is left in the tank when the fauge reaches the last bar (blinking one). I usually fill up when I hit a 1/4 of a tank, but hit the blinking a few days ago, and when I filled up I noticed that I was really close to the 11 gal mark. I have looked all throughout the forums with no luck.

i'd like to know also. I believe you can drive it until the blinking stops, then fill it up quick according to the manuel. However mine started blinking yesterday, and I was still able to drive 8 miles before I decided to fill her up(and she was sill blinking)

fluxwl
10-06-2006, 01:06 AM
The math works under the assumption that the gas tank has a uniform cross-sectional area. However, the gas tank is shaped so that it will actually fit inside of the car. Best way to figure out how much gas you have on left bar is to do the following.

1. Run car until last bar blinks
2. Immediately fill up tank completely
3. Notice how much gas you filled up
4. Subtract previous value by the capacity of the fuel tank to get how much gas you have

Keep in mind that gas is very volatile and will vaporize and condense fairly readily. As a result, the value will vary.

johnnyfive
10-06-2006, 03:07 AM
i will drive 20 + miles on a blinking light no problem :)

in the manual it just states that the faster it is blinking the lower the tank is...

nsmitchell
10-06-2006, 08:28 AM
That math doesn't work at all on these fuel gauges. Once it hits the half tank mark, it drops to empty much quicker. I can go 200 miles on the first 4 bars and only about 100 or so on the last 4 bars. My 2004 Toyota Tacoma was the same way. You would think someone could address this annoyance. Even the Honda's that I've owned/own do the same thing.:mad: It is probably due to the small amount of gas on the last half of the tank is sloshing around constantly and the gauge is compensating (dampening or averaging) as best it can. Otherwise your gas guage would be going up and down around each corner and hill.

eTiMaGo
10-06-2006, 08:41 AM
That math doesn't work at all on these fuel gauges. Once it hits the half tank mark, it drops to empty much quicker. I can go 200 miles on the first 4 bars and only about 100 or so on the last 4 bars. My 2004 Toyota Tacoma was the same way. You would think someone could address this annoyance. Even the Honda's that I've owned/own do the same thing.:mad: It is probably due to the small amount of gas on the last half of the tank is sloshing around constantly and the gauge is compensating (dampening or averaging) as best it can. Otherwise your gas guage would be going up and down around each corner and hill.

reminds me of my parents' old car which seemed to magically get more fuel when going up a hill :biggrin:

But back on topic, from the technical manuals:

The remaining fuel amount indicator function is activated when the fuel amount data calculated by the
meter ECU indicates the amount of remaining fuel has dropped to 15% or less, and causes the No. 1
segment bar to blink in approximately 1.2-second cycles. When the amount of remaining fuel drops to
10% or less, the No. 1 segment bar blinks in approximately 0.6-second cycles.

ttufrosty
10-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Doing some simple math and based on a full tank of gas: that gets us 15% = 1.6 gallons of gas and 10% being 1.1 gallons of gas. But like everyone says, that is just an educated guess.

I had a similar problem on my old Chevy Impala, with an older analog display. The guage would spend 150 to 200 miles on the full side, and about 100 miles on the empty side. Only reason I asked is that on my old car, when the guage hit the red it would never fill up to more than 14 gallons. It had a 16 gallon tank. I don think I ever put more than 15 gallons on a fillup.

Thanks for the info..I am sure there are many more who appreciete that.

boxerboy
10-06-2006, 04:11 PM
When full I get 83-85 miles on the first bar and it goes down from there.

IsLNdbOi
10-07-2006, 09:55 PM
11.1 gallons in the Liftback's tank? If so, I only got 27.297mpg on my last tank. I got 303 miles from full to bar blinking before filling it up again.

Man I thought this car was supposed to get at least 34 - 39mpg? I've never had a passenger and the only other thing in my car when I drive (most of the time) is my backpack with some books. I do drive mostly in the city though and I do coast alot. Oh yeah and mine is automatic transmission.

ttufrosty
10-07-2006, 11:26 PM
That is pretty bad, I have had mine since August, and never had a tank that got less than 36 mpgs. Of course I drive almost exclusivly on highway. 95% of all miles per tank are on the highway at constant speeds of 50 to 65 mph. I know that city stop and go driving can drastically reduce your fuel economy, but I didnt think it would do it that much. If you are running you A/C that can have a big impact also. I had to sacrifice when it was 100 degrees outside, because I needed to save on gas. I hope it gets better for you. I love mine.

IsLNdbOi
10-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Wow. I'm not so broke that I need to drive around in 100+ degree weather w/o AC. Anyway, yeah almost 100% of my driving is in the city. It's hot here so I always have my AC on at least the first strength / speed / dot (though not always at the end of the blue half of the AC dial (max AC use)).

ItsMyDaily
10-08-2006, 12:10 AM
11.1 gallons in the Liftback's tank? If so, I only got 27.297mpg on my last tank. I got 303 miles from full to bar blinking before filling it up again.

Man I thought this car was supposed to get at least 34 - 39mpg? I've never had a passenger and the only other thing in my car when I drive (most of the time) is my backpack with some books. I do drive mostly in the city though and I do coast alot. Oh yeah and mine is automatic transmission.

I'm getting around 320 on a full tank right now, not much more then you. Giv it a little time though if the car s new. It'll get better once the motor is well broken in. Although if it doesn't get better then best believe toyota will be hearing from me :evil:

boxerboy
10-08-2006, 09:17 AM
I have been getting 360 miles between fills. Last fill was 36.7 and I could only get 9.8 gals in. I had drove about 5 miles with the flashing bar. I drive around town mostly. I have been keeping record of my milage from the begining.

Tedtalker
08-25-2013, 11:49 AM
I just went from the bottom two bars to a flashing one bar. Gassed up two miles down the road with three ounces of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant and over half a bottle of Techron Plus fuel treatment. I got 10.913 gallons in the tank. I stopped at the top of the filler neck as Jay Leno advises: less air in the tank is better with ethanol blended fuels.

Flipper_1938
08-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Three "clicks" is the industry standard for a full tank. Click = a shut off of the pump at the gas station.

Continuing to add fuel fills the "vapor dome" with liquid fuel. This can float the vent valves shut so that the tank can't breathe. There is also a chance of pushing liquid fuel into the charcoal canister....another scenario that prevents the tank from breathing. Doing this can cause some cars to act crazy (mechanics replace all kinds of parts trying to figure out what is wrong).

My 2010 sedan takes 10 gallons when the last bar starts flashing. That's where I fill it back up.

Tedtalker
08-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Three "clicks" is the industry standard for a full tank. Click = a shot off of the pump at the gas station.

Continuing to add fuel fills the "vapor dome" with liquid fuel. This can float the vent valves shut so that the tank can't breathe. There is also a chance of pushing liquid fuel into the charcoal canister....another scenario that prevents the tank from breathing. Doing this can cause some cars to act crazy (mechanics replace all kinds of parts trying to figure out what is wrong).

My 2010 sedan takes 10 gallons when the last bar starts flashing. That's where I fill it back up.

Thanks for letting me know. I hope I haven't screwed anything up. I drove two miles to home after fill up and didn't notice anything acting up and didn't smell any vapors. Fingers crossed.

yaris0985
08-26-2013, 10:54 AM
what i see after 5years..for HIGHWAY ONLY

full to 7/8= 100miles
7/8 to 6/8= 150miles (drive 50miles)
6/8 to 5/8= 200miles (drive 50miles)
5/8 to 4/8= 250miles (drive 50miles)
4/8 to 3/8= 300miles (drive 50miles)
3/8 to 2/8= 350miles (drive 50miles)
flash-slow- to flash fast = 400miles (drive 50miles)
flash fast...about 10 miles

yarisugi
08-26-2013, 12:30 PM
We have a record!
6year-10month thread resurrection! :clap:

Tedtalker
08-27-2013, 03:46 AM
We have a record!
6year-10month thread resurrection! :clap:

Hey Man, it's for the database filed under useful information:bonk:

brg88tx
08-27-2013, 12:14 PM
I get about 75 miles first bar and 50 miles per bar after that.