PDA

View Full Version : Almost 50 mpg (Canada)

Sir A.Y. Atoyot
08-08-2009, 08:53 PM
According to Toyota, a 2008 Yaris 4-door hatch is supposed to get 50 mpg. (This is Imperial gallons, slightly bigger than US ones). I just did my first long highway trip since getting the car - White Rock BC to Edmonton, Alberta, via Highway 5 (Yellowhead Highway). The distance travelled, according to the odometer, was 1180 km, and fuel consumption was 67.272 litres or 14.8 Gallons (Imp.) Adds up to 49.5 MPG.

I find this quite impressive, considering the conditions. Two big people and their luggage on board, automatic transmission, mountainous terrain most of the distance, air conditioning turned on part of the time. No conscious effort to achieve great economy.

My previous cars, Honda and Nissan, didn't get anywhere near this level of economy - they were also sucky on the hills. Yaris rules!

jambo101
08-09-2009, 04:06 AM
Imagine how much money is going to stay in your pockets over the time you own this car getting that kind of mileage rather than 20 to 30 mpg,

eddy
09-09-2009, 02:56 PM
HI i am new to this so I will do my best. I bought my 2009 yaris sedan on july 18 this year and love it already have 4300km on her. My oldest daughter can not wait to drive this car. We have on driving in the city getting 39 mpg and our freeway trips getting 50-52mpg. I am really impressed with this car.:smile:

MUSKOKA800
10-09-2009, 07:58 AM
I'm wouldn't be surprised that 50 is attainable. But I don't personally have the patience to wring out full economy.
When my sedan was a month old I drove from Burlington to Montreal. Driving first through GTA traffic, making a stop in Toronto and then onto the 401, locking the cruise on at 119 kph ASAP and acheived 47 miles per imperial gallon. This with one passenger and the car fully loaded (sports gear included) for a week long stay.

Sir A.Y. Atoyot
10-09-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm wouldn't be surprised that 50 is attainable. But I don't personally have the patience to wring out full economy.
When my sedan was a month old I drove from Burlington to Montreal. Driving first through GTA traffic, making a stop in Toronto and then onto the 401, locking the cruise on at 119 kph ASAP and acheived 47 miles per imperial gallon. This with one passenger and the car fully loaded (sports gear included) for a week long stay.
Good mileage, but even better when you consider that it wasn't anywhere near actual highway driving. Also, the rear end of the car with trunk etc. probably makes it heavier than my hatch.

MUSKOKA800
10-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Good mileage, but even better when you consider that it wasn't anywhere near actual highway driving. Also, the rear end of the car with trunk etc. probably makes it heavier than my hatch.

Actually I've read that the sedan is actually lighter than the HB. But considering that on our trip the car was jammed full of gear the total wgt. was high. I wish I had the patience to highway run through a full tank without speeding, but it's just sooooo boring and I just might doze off. :tongue: