PDA

View Full Version : Trip Computer and External Temperature Display

jodiem
10-08-2006, 03:12 AM
My Yaris did not come with a trip computer or external temperature display but I have noticed that the display panel under the clock has space for all these features. is it possible to activate these? is it something that can be done aftermarket or will the dealer have to do it?

Thanks

Lafiro
10-08-2006, 09:48 AM
I never knew this was EVER even an option. Trip computer, as in the odometer for trip a/b should be standard for any car. But as for external temp display..... I want that too!!! And hell yeah it would be hot to see that on the display panel.

eTiMaGo
10-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Certainly does not seem like an option here either, neither do the technical manuals in the DIY section mention anything similar!

as400g33k
10-09-2006, 02:30 AM
My Yaris did not come with a trip computer or external temperature display but I have noticed that the display panel under the clock has space for all these features. is it possible to activate these? is it something that can be done aftermarket or will the dealer have to do it?

Thanks

Noticed that too. It looks like the circuitry is there, just wonder if at it needs is just the actual computer itself.

paultyler_82
10-09-2006, 07:05 AM
If you're talking about the Trip A/B odometers... they're integrated into the main odometer... press the little button to switch between them... I don't think external temp is an option on em though. I'm confused as to what you're referring to exactly though... maybe if you have different gauges than us, you don't have them? Do you have a picture of the space you're referring to?

SmellyTofu
10-09-2006, 05:15 PM
That is a LHD European dash (UK drive have RHD) but yes we have a similar cluster but each component on the opposite side to the one pictured above however we don't get the trip computer nor outside temperature read out functioning (but there seems to be provisions for this on the cluster).

paultyler_82
10-11-2006, 04:09 AM
I would say if the display appears to be there, there's probably a way to make it work... This is why I would reallly love to have full US, UK, French, German, and Japanese Yaris exploded parts references, make it easier to figure out what part numbers do what. incidentally, I recently saw a US exploded parts diagram for the front bumper cover and they had 2 parts shown that aren't even availiable here, to my knowledge, the "RS" grille logo and the mesh grille insert for the lower fascia opening!

Black Yaris
10-11-2006, 10:22 AM
I do like the UKDM cluster the best of all the ones I have seen so far, plus you can switch from MPH to KPH with the touch of a button, very helpful for those of us who drive internationally...

eTiMaGo
10-11-2006, 01:34 PM
oooo pretty...

Still, digital displays are nice, but there's nothing quite like seeing a little red needle go round and stretching to the maximum it can reach... :wink:

parbrook
10-11-2006, 01:49 PM
The UK Yaris has two buttons.
One on the right for Odometer, Trip A and Trip B.
One on the left for outside temperature, average speed, average miles per gallon, current miles per gallon and clock setting.
The trip computer resets every time fuel is added to the tank (or the tank is filled - not sure if it's either or both).

Yaris-TJ
10-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Australian Yaris has a different all digital cluster, digital speedo...

(UK one shown here)
http://www.toyota-europe.com/Images/t7_yar05_car_gal_22_800_tcm280-336772.jpg

Cheers
Do you guys think this will be ever be available in the US, and that I can be installed with the current wiring? This looks great! and it's worth to spent 200~300 dls...:eek:

paultyler_82
10-12-2006, 06:56 AM
Well, it's been proven now that the US and CAN gauges are direct swaps, so I can't imagine that the Euro units arent too.

grimez
10-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Holy crap! I would pay to get that cluster in my dash! I guess only if it retained it's functionality though. Anyone know if it's possible to oder this cluster over in the great land of the UK and get it shipped to the US?

Violin
10-12-2006, 10:59 AM
It reads in kilometers.

parbrook
10-12-2006, 12:27 PM
It reads in kilometers.

or Miles - it's selectable.

Note that the the MPG (miles per gallon) indication will not be correct for the US as you have a different gallon to ours.

grimez
10-12-2006, 01:08 PM
psh, if i really cared enough about MPG, i would calculate the difference(I'm an engineer, all i do is calculate).

grimez
10-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Upon closer inspection, I don't quite understand all of the guages on the digital cluster. Can anyone help me out?

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3/dgrimez/b-1.jpg

Yaris-TJ
10-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Upon closer inspection, I don't quite understand all of the guages on the digital cluster. Can anyone help me out?

My guess is that
left ? = is the RPM bar that fills up depending on your current RPM
Right ? = is the 1x1000 RPM, 2x1000 RPM.... 6x1000RPM notation....:iono:

I hope this makes sense...

grimez
10-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Ya, that makes sense... so I wonder if it would be a direct swap, and if it is, I would love to get a hold of this cluster. Anyone know anything about swapping it out w/ the '07 US yaris hatch dash?

ChinoCharles
10-13-2006, 02:36 AM
Until someone has the money to take a blind shot, it seems none of us are going to know much. Luckily one member is rolling with the Canadian-spec cluster, so we will know a little more after that. For now, we need a pic of the pins on the back of the UK cluster!

parbrook
10-13-2006, 02:02 PM
My guess is that
left ? = is the RPM bar that fills up depending on your current RPM
Right ? = is the 1x1000 RPM, 2x1000 RPM.... 6x1000RPM notation....:iono:

I hope this makes sense...

You are correct.

The RPM is shown in the form of green blocks that fit between the upper and lower lines marked as ?
It looks a bit like an audio level display, but on its side, and with a curved baseline.

On the UK Yaris, by pushing the button near the clock, the display below the clock can be set to show temperature, current fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, distance until fuel tank reaches reserve, or average speed.

grimez
10-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Any chance we could get you to take a pic of the pinouts for your cluster Parbrook??? If they are the same, im going to do my best to be the pioneer in trying to swap out the clusters.

parbrook
10-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Any chance we could get you to take a pic of the pinouts for your cluster Parbrook??? If they are the same, im going to do my best to be the pioneer in trying to swap out the clusters.

I wouldn't know where to look.
Let me know where the connector is located and I'll have a go, but I'm not going to dismantle anything on my new baby.

Sounds to me like a workshop manual would be the best bet.
I wonder if Haynes have produced one for the current model yet?
I'll see if I can find out.

parbrook
10-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Sounds to me like a workshop manual would be the best bet.
I wonder if Haynes have produced one for the current model yet?
I'll see if I can find out.

Nope, there's a UK Haynes manual for the earlier model, but not the current model.

grimez
10-13-2006, 05:34 PM
check out this thread (http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1139&highlight=guage), it's got a lot of the info about the other guages and how they figured out if they matched up or not :)

grimez
10-14-2006, 01:59 AM
Well, I emailed Toyota, straight up asking if it was a straight swap across... i guess we will see if they ever get back to me.

parbrook
10-14-2006, 11:12 AM

One more thing that is not shown on this picture is the gear indicator, but I guess that this is only for the MMT option.
It displays the current gear (1, 2, 3, 4 or 5), plus mode (E, Es or M).

If someone can tell me how to upload photos to this site, I'll be happy to provide more pictures of the displays.

ChinoCharles
10-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Parbrook...

1. Below the Quick Reply box, hit "Go Advanced."

2. Click on the paper clip icon next to the smiley face, aka Manage Attatchments.

3. The pop-up window that follows will have five file boxes for pictures. Just select, hit upload, and wait. When they have uploaded and show on that page you can close it.

4. Click on the paper clip again and select the image you would like to paste into your message.

parbrook
10-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Parbrook...

1. Below the Quick Reply box, hit "Go Advanced."

2. Click on the paper clip icon next to the smiley face, aka Manage Attatchments.

3. The pop-up window that follows will have five file boxes for pictures. Just select, hit upload, and wait. When they have uploaded and show on that page you can close it.

4. Click on the paper clip again and select the image you would like to paste into your message.

Ah

Thanks - I didn't see the paper clip when I tried earlier.

I'll take some photos tomorrow.

Terrorize
10-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Hmm...are those pics from an actual official site somewhere??
Hmm..that cluster kinda looks like the one in the Prius...so maybe from an older version of the prius? The new one is completely different...

grimez
10-15-2006, 01:33 AM
lol, i got a reply from toyota

-------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
We apologize the navigation system does not have back up camera jacks for your 2007 Yaris Hatchback .

Toyota does not recommend or assist with modifying our vehicles from their original factory specifications.

Modifications could affect the vehicle’s performance, safety or durability, and may violate government regulations. In addition, damage or performance problems resulting from the modification may not be covered under warranty.
-------------------------------------------------------------

not at all what I asked, but alright... lol.

paultyler_82
10-15-2006, 02:15 AM
Hmm...are those pics from an actual official site somewhere??
Hmm..that cluster kinda looks like the one in the Prius...so maybe from an older version of the prius? The new one is completely different...

That's from the official Toyota.co.uk website, thats the cluster they use in the Yaris/Vitz in all other markets besides US, Canada, and Japan.

parbrook
10-15-2006, 05:17 AM
That's from the official Toyota.co.uk website, thats the cluster they use in the Yaris/Vitz in all other markets besides US, Canada, and Japan.

Paul

I doubt that the picture is from the Toyota UK website, as it shows a left-hand drive cluster, unless it was from a very early press release.
The current Yaris picture gallery shows the correct UK cluster.

Mine is shown below:

Trip computer:

MMT gear indictors:

paultyler_82
10-15-2006, 05:42 AM
Paul

I doubt that the picture is from the Toyota UK website, as it shows a left-hand drive cluster, unless it was from a very early press release.
The current Yaris picture gallery shows the correct UK cluster.

Ah, I stand corrected.... then this is going to be from the Toyota websites of one of any of the European countries besides the UK, or one of the South American countries, or pretty much any other country besides former UK colonies. in asia, oceana, and southern africa.

And I love that gauge with the trip computer... I want it, too bad it's imperial miles... hmm, does the outside temperature have the option to display in Fahrenheit?

parbrook
10-15-2006, 11:39 AM
And I love that gauge with the trip computer... I want it, too bad it's imperial miles... hmm, does the outside temperature have the option to display in Fahrenheit?

All speed-related displays can be switched between Km and Miles, but fuel consumption for miles is for Imperial gallons.

I don't believe that there is a Fahrenheit option, but I'll take a look in the manual.

Black Yaris
10-15-2006, 11:48 AM
is there a differance between Imperial miles and U.S. miles?, I know there is a difference in fluids, but unsure on distances

grimez
10-15-2006, 11:59 AM
There is no difference in the lengths, however, for every Imperial Gallon, there is 1.201 US gallons.

So for your MPG reading:

34Miles/IGallon=1Gallon/1.201IGallon

Or, just divide your MPG rating by 1.201, and you have the equivalent US MPG rating.

eTiMaGo
10-15-2006, 12:19 PM
well, good thing you could keep a calculator on the flat space in front of the instruments!

grimez
10-15-2006, 12:23 PM
The point is not to calculate exactly, just to know that your MPG will be a little bit less than what the display would read.

Black Yaris
10-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Let lets try and set up a group buy on this UK cluster.... remember our cars (liftbacks) are a world car ans was ment to have interchangeable parts for different markets.... we may have to add an ambient air temp sensor to get outside temp... for the most part it should just go right in

Black Yaris
10-15-2006, 12:30 PM
BTW does anyone have a pic of the JDM cluster?

grimez
10-15-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm up for a group buy so long as we know it will fit and operate correctly.

parbrook
10-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Let lets try and set up a group buy on this UK cluster.... remember our cars (liftbacks) are a world car ans was ment to have interchangeable parts for different markets.... we may have to add an ambient air temp sensor to get outside temp... for the most part it should just go right in

If you are going to do this, why not go for the cluster from a left-hand drive country (mainland Europe). The price is likely to be lower as well as being optimised for viewing from the left seat instead of the right seat.

A word of caution - European Yaris (3-door and 5-door) are made in France.
I don't know if non-European versions are made in Japan, or elsewhere.
This may affect wiring & connectors.

Japan Vitz cluster below.
Is this like the North American layout, or different again?

grimez
10-16-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm pretty sure thats the same as the US cluster...

SmellyTofu
10-16-2006, 05:57 PM
If you are going to do this, why not go for the cluster from a left-hand drive country (mainland Europe). The price is likely to be lower as well as being optimised for viewing from the left seat instead of the right seat.

Ditto. A RHD cluster will make the speedo reading out of the line of sight for a person in the left seat.

I've got a feeling you've got to do more wiring to get the trip computer working. From what I've seen behind the cluster, there are a few wireless plugs in the back which I presume you need to wire up to get them working.

My dash is the same as parbrook's except no trip computer, no A/T position selector and metric readouts. (really sorry for the poor pic, used a mobile phone).

paultyler_82
10-17-2006, 03:30 AM
Yes, the different flavors of Japanese Yaris use tach and non-tach clusters that are more or less identical to Canadian and US clusters (Km instead of Miles, of course). I'm going to have to go back on my original thought that the Euro gauges will work though... I did forget that all Euro model Yarii are not made in Japan, unlike the JAP, CAN, and US Yarii which are... so there's a good chance the wiring could be very different.

grimez
10-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Lets just hope someone with one of those clusters gets a good screenie of their plugs.

grimez
10-19-2006, 08:49 AM
So is this idea dead in the water?

Lafiro
10-19-2006, 02:33 PM
I want to know what the outside temp is!!!!!! Someone find out. It would have been awesome if our dash already had the thing built in. But I guess not?

paultyler_82
10-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Well... you could always get an Auto-dimming mirror with integrated compass and outside temp

grimez
10-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Anyone with the digital cluster willing to pull it out and measure the plugs? I can't wait to see if it works so we can organize a group buy.

jodiem
10-21-2006, 12:00 AM
Well it looks like I've started something here. I would really love to get this working, I will try and ask my toyota dealer, but I would suspect getting a similar crap reply to what Grimez got.

My cluster is the same as the one pictured in the mobile phone pic by "SmellyTofu". ie RHD, no Temp Display and no Gearstick Display for the Auto (I'd love that too).

BTW, PaulTyler, do you have a link to the Auto Dimming Mirror? that sounds like an interesting option too.

Thanks for the excellent discussion on this topic.

paultyler_82
10-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Well it looks like I've started something here. I would really love to get this working, I will try and ask my toyota dealer, but I would suspect getting a similar crap reply to what Grimez got.

My cluster is the same as the one pictured in the mobile phone pic by "SmellyTofu". ie RHD, no Temp Display and no Gearstick Display for the Auto (I'd love that too).

BTW, PaulTyler, do you have a link to the Auto Dimming Mirror? that sounds like an interesting option too.

Thanks for the excellent discussion on this topic.

Yep, it's not an option on any Yarii that I know of, but you can get a universal replacement here: http://www.mitocorp.com/flash/index.htm

grimez
10-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Any development in this area? My yaris just came today, and I wanna get busy fuxxing it up!

grimez
10-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Anyone got a hookup on maybe getting this part over in the UK then shipping it over. I wanna get an idea on cost before I drop the money just to test it out.

devinlamothe
03-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Has there been any update on this? Anyone know if a EU cluster will work in a US/CAN model?

Would totally buy one if it did work!!

CTScott
03-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Wow, that's an old thread coming back to life.

I have been doing some looking into this myself and I believe that there is a good chance it will work. For US cars, there is a third party converter module (that I've seen on Ebay Europe) that can be installed to convert KMs to Miles so the odo and speedo read correctly. The cluster is a smart device in that it hangs on the CAN bus. So, for things like outside temp and MPG it can read the necessary data directly from the appropriate systems.

I keep looking on Ebay Europe, hoping to find one for a reasonable price to experiment with. I'd be willing to spend up to $100 to get my hands on one.

CTScott
03-20-2009, 10:56 AM
so you don't believe that the cluster can be reprogrammed/reset for km to mph ? like you said it's tied to the ecu so there has to be setting you can switch to display the full cluster.

I think the firmware in the microcontroller for the cluster is specific to the features of the cluster. I would bet that they are OTP devices rather than FLASH ones to save the couple of dollars per cluster as well.

devinlamothe
03-21-2009, 07:04 PM
For me KM/H would not be a problem since that's the speed here. But I will only purchase it if it's a direct swap.

It would be amazing if it would work that way ... I love the digital.

coffey
02-25-2010, 02:09 AM
So after 4 pages of discussion have we worked out if we can enable the Trip Computer?

CTScott
02-25-2010, 08:09 AM
So after 4 pages of discussion have we worked out if we can enable the Trip Computer?

The short answer is no. I have a JDM digital cluster on the way to experiment with. I believe that it has those features enabled. If so, I will look into what makes them active and see if it is possible to do the same with the Australian digital cluster.

jose3sgte
11-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Nothing yet?

CTScott
11-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Nothing yet?

Actually - Yes. You can't enable features on the clusters that don't display those features, but you can run a cluster from another part of the world that has the features that you want. I am currently running a Canadian Metric cluster that has the tach in one of my Yaris and have it incrementing the odometer in miles and have the speedometer also moving MPH.

Here is a thread about the device that I created for doing the conversion of metric clusters:

www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41802