PDA

View Full Version : Best SoCal driving roads?

yarswiss
08-22-2009, 07:44 PM
I've been taking my Yaris out on mountainous and hilly single-lane roads to see what it's capable of. I'm amazed how well it does at speed on the Angeles Crest and smaller areas like Little and Big Tujunga Canyons roads. I'm well aware I don't have a rally car, but I want someplace with little traffic where I can have some fun.

I live around the Sunland area, and I'm looking for something local and not a closed circuit, so if anyone knows of any really good, curvy, steep mountain roads, do tell!

arcticvitz
08-22-2009, 08:47 PM
I was going to say Little Tujunga but you already mentioned it! I'm curious myself since I live a few exits down the road in Sylmar. I think if there was something more in our area you or I would have probably found it already :biggrin: I've actually been using google earth to try and find a large and low profile parking lot to get some driving techniques down before I try them on the canyon roads and kill myself :burnrubber:

justjesus
08-22-2009, 10:11 PM
depending on how far you are willing to drive??

I've been known to drive down to some pretty far off spots. My favorite, probably has to be some place called Palomar. Love it there. Easily worth the drive.

There's Angeles Crest toward the 14 to Palmdale
GMR is a popular choice, but I avoid it since it's popular (and a little too thin for me)
Santiago Canyon road, or something like that, is a nice little road in the OC.
Ortega Highway
hehe, and the "2nd part" of Ortega that people don't know about. That one is way far, but also a nice drive.

SilverBack
08-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Try Decker Cyn Rd sometime if you're up to the challenge. It starts in across the valley from you and goes though the mountains to the coast. 12 miles

I plan on doing another run next weekend. PM me if you wanna roll

eii
08-23-2009, 08:51 AM
lol theres so much i wanna say/suggest, but i dont want to be the one who gets your yaris wreck (terrible feeling btw) or killed. i know youre just cruising...lol just be safe out there man!

RUFFSTUFF
08-23-2009, 12:41 PM
I used to run up into the San Gabriel mountains on Rt. 39 coming out of Azusa. Those were some good times!

AdeJong 03
08-23-2009, 02:49 PM
i think ive ridden almost every canyon in socal except for palomar in sd

my favorite local road is mulholland dr. (the snake) in malibu
especially for our cars, its the most technical

there is a photog there on weekends too
www.rockstorephotos.com

also check out piuma and stunt road off of malibu canyon, i used to go up there with my integra all the time

eii
08-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Avoid doing this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo7ah9pEL8c

Malaya1221
08-23-2009, 07:17 PM
sequoia national park :biggrin:

SilverBack
08-24-2009, 04:07 PM
I used to run up into the San Gabriel mountains on Rt. 39 coming out of Azusa. Those were some good times!

Haven't gone that way in years. Ever make it up to the giant puddle (Crystal Lake)?

i think ive ridden almost every canyon in socal except for palomar in sd

my favorite local road is mulholland dr. (the snake) in malibu
especially for our cars, its the most technical

there is a photog there on weekends too
www.rockstorephotos.com

also check out piuma and stunt road off of malibu canyon, i used to go up there with my integra all the time

Mulholland Dr. is in Hollywood Hills. Did you mean Mulholland Hwy?

Heard about Stunt Rd., but could never find it lol

Avoid doing this..

Ah yes, golden oldies. That was classic :laugh:

RUFFSTUFF
08-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Haven't gone that way in years. Ever make it up to the giant puddle (Crystal Lake)?

I don't think so, but who knows!

eii
08-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Dont go up to GMR right now, its on fire!

yarswiss
08-26-2009, 01:23 AM
depending on how far you are willing to drive??

I've been known to drive down to some pretty far off spots. My favorite, probably has to be some place called Palomar. Love it there. Easily worth the drive.

There's Angeles Crest toward the 14 to Palmdale
GMR is a popular choice, but I avoid it since it's popular (and a little too thin for me)
Santiago Canyon road, or something like that, is a nice little road in the OC.
Ortega Highway
hehe, and the "2nd part" of Ortega that people don't know about. That one is way far, but also a nice drive.

Awesome places! Thanks for those.

Try Decker Cyn Rd sometime if you're up to the challenge. It starts in across the valley from you and goes though the mountains to the coast. 12 miles

I plan on doing another run next weekend. PM me if you wanna roll

Is this in Beverly Hills? I might try it out sometime, but I was looking for something more local.
Avoid doing this..

Fortunately I think I know the limitations of my car, tires and driving skill :redface: And breaking hard in corners is for pussies :tongue:

eii
08-26-2009, 06:08 AM
malibu (has no guard rails)
palo verde (nice area)

thats what i know theyre called and theyr pretty bad ass runs, so ive heard. ive never been so i dont know their exact locations. ill ask my friends.

its still summer time, so there will be cops lookin around everywhere. careful if you go at night, tons of unexperienced high school kids being reckless.

justjesus
08-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Awesome places! Thanks for those.

You're welcome.

I'm planning on Palomar this friday night. Anybody want to come?
I'm gonna try and take some video as well. Maybe some pics if my stinking camera isn't having issues.

SilverBack
08-27-2009, 12:23 AM
Is this in Beverly Hills? I might try it out sometime, but I was looking for something more local.

Starting point is in Westlake Village off the 101. You're alot closer to it than I am, but I'm still going. It's worth it :thumbsup:

yarswiss
09-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Ugh, was going to try out a bunch of these but then the fires arrived...any that aren't currently being engulfed by an inferno?

yarswiss
09-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Noooooo! Apparently Little Tujunga, Big Tujunga AND the Angeles Crest will be closed indefinitely. What a downer.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/09/angeles-crest-highway-closed-indefinitely-because-of-fire.html

Although this is the least of the worry for anyone who lived up there. Hope anyone who was caught by the fire made it out all right.