PDA

View Full Version : k&n air filters

eddy
09-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi has any one tried an k&n air filter in the 2009 yaris yet.If so did it help with the milage and or power. THANKS

BailOut
09-09-2009, 03:56 PM
It doesn't measurably help with either of those as the Yaris doesn't "breathe" much to begin with, but it saves you money over the long run and is easier on the environment because it is reusable.

1stToyota
09-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Hi has any one tried an k&n air filter in the 2009 yaris yet.If so did it help with the milage and or power. THANKS

If those are your two main reasons for buying...don't.

bronsin
09-09-2009, 04:54 PM
The oil in the KN filter gets blown downstream where it can gunk up the mass air flow sensor. Also, they breather better because they are 95% efficient at removing dirt from the air. Stock is 99% efficient. Which means the KN filter lets FOUR TIMES the ammount of dirt into your engine.
Hows about painting the plastic cylinder head cover red? Or maybe the calipers?

BailOut
09-09-2009, 05:13 PM
The oil in the KN filter gets blown downstream where it can gunk up the mass air flow sensor.
Please provide links to evidence of this happening at any time in the last decade when the simple and proper directions for cleaning and oiling the filter were followed.

Also, they breather better because they are 95% efficient at removing dirt from the air. Stock is 99% efficient. Which means the KN filter lets FOUR TIMES the ammount of dirt into your engine.
Please provide links to scientific evidence proving this point, and also to any evidence of this being directly attributed to harming an engine.

1stToyota
09-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Please provide links to scientific evidence proving this point, and also to any evidence of this being directly attributed to harming an engine.

Well, if you can count a UOA result as a scientific spnak, I think you missed it on the last **K&N thread**, before it got locked.

bronsin
09-09-2009, 05:53 PM
The 99% figure is industry standard for paper air filters. The 95% efficiency for KN airfilters is from their own literature. The mass flow air sensor is from DIY pictures in the ECHO and Yaris Fans website.
Do you have a KN air filter?

Kaotic Lazagna
09-09-2009, 06:39 PM
I didn't really see a difference when I had mine.

eddy
09-09-2009, 06:51 PM
thanks for the info are those pictures of your yaris very nice

Kaotic Lazagna
09-09-2009, 06:59 PM
thanks for the info are those pictures of your yaris very nice

Who me? If so, thanks. :biggrin:

RedRide
09-10-2009, 10:56 AM

I have had a K&N filter in my other car for years without a single problem.

A couple of weeks ago, I installed one in my Yaris,

Does it help with "power"? Yes, but not dramaticly of course.
It does give slightly better throttle respose and opens up the high end a bit.

It is comon knowlege in the industry that a dirty air filter will degrade gas milage.
The oposit is also true that an engine that breathes easier will get better milage.

However, the MPG difference with a K&N will be minmal.

Also, be aware that Toyota sells a K&N type filter and calls it a TRD filter. :smile:

1stToyota
09-10-2009, 11:13 AM
OP, again, looks like your main reasons to buy the K&N is for the power and better fuel economy...don't waste the money then. You won't really notice any extra power, unless you try to find it (1-2 hp, maybe, if you're lucky) at WOT in the upper rpm range, then be prepaid to lose big at the next gas pump.

RedRide
09-10-2009, 11:19 AM
If you routinely go for WOT, your MPG will go down no mater what filter you have.

It you drive for economy, and only go for WOT when needed you can have the best of both worlds up to a point
as the ECU will monotor your driving habits and tune the engine acordingly either for more economy or power.

Personally, I can't understand the concern about wether you get 39, 37 or 35 mpg. All those figures are great.
I just enjoy driving my Yaris. One should own a car and not let it own you.

1stToyota
09-10-2009, 12:29 PM
What I'm getting at is if you try to get the extra airflow benefits out of the K&N filter, you'll have to go wide open, and then you'll have to ask yourself am I REALLY feeling that 1hp???...and pay the extra price at the pump for trying to have fun with that 1 or less hp.

I just like flowing with traffic, listening to the radio, not being owned by a scangauge...and still get 41, 43, 44 mpg.

Y@R15
09-10-2009, 01:53 PM
ok soooo a K&N filter or a full intake kit? im sure a CAI will yeild roughly 3-5hp but then again still wasting gas.

RedRide
09-10-2009, 02:16 PM
"Wasting" gas? I wouldn't put it that way.
I consider it "using" more gas to gain more piower. :smile:

Let's not lose site of the fact that neither a K&N or a CIA will not decrease MPG as long as you do not routienly go for WOT.

1stToyota
09-10-2009, 02:44 PM
I just don't think I could handle all that extra "power" :rolleyes: ...I better stick with a paper filter.

Y@R15
09-10-2009, 02:45 PM
"Wasting" gas? I wouldn't put it that way.
I consider it "using" more gas to gain more piower. :smile:

Let's not lose site of the fact that neither a K&N or a CIA will not decrease MPG as long as you do not routienly go for WOT.

true and i like your outlook on high revving,lol. but if someone is looking for a monster car the CAI isnt going to make that much difference. mpg and whp but then again that is the trade off you cant get hp without spending money. its a sickness that most guys get after they get a car. im still learning about toyotas. im mostly into big engines with big power. i like this car becuase im now married and i have a lil one on the way so. i lil gas saver for the wife with some aftermarket is way nicer. its just a lil frustrating when im use to gettting about 20 to 30 hp on an upgrade then going back to a 4cyl and goin back to 2-4hp gains. but its a trade off for the family. so im looking at getting a yaris when i get back from japan. but what i want is to do engie swap.

RedRide
09-11-2009, 02:11 AM
Also, as I understand it , actually with the Yaris there is no WOT.
I believe the max is 87%.

I got the Yaris as a second car because it seemed it would be a cheap, ecnomical and fun car which it is.
I'm dong little odds and ends mods simply because I can not leave a car stock.
I think it's in my genes. :biggrin:

bronsin
09-11-2009, 09:34 AM
I have noticed the first thing people ask when something is wrong with the car (like it wont start or the CE light is on) is "What modifications have been made to the car?"