PDA

View Full Version : Drove in tar!

Cutie Pie #2
09-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Today ,I drove down a narrow road and drove right though freshly layed tar. Does anyone know how to remove tar from the paint?

Slick
09-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Gas is what i've used on several different vehicles. Though there is probably a more "professional" producat.

YAR1S
09-15-2009, 05:51 PM
They make Bug and Tar removing liquid.

mrbond
09-15-2009, 05:52 PM
^ what she said. Plus, a good clay bar workout will take care of whatever's left. I'd try to avoid gas or other solvents that'll eat through your clearcoat, unless nothing else works.

Slick
09-15-2009, 06:01 PM
hey, the faster your scrub with gas, the better off you'll be lol

mrbond
09-15-2009, 06:10 PM
lol or y'all could pick it off with your fingernails! It works to an extent, I guess.

andaconda
09-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Today ,I drove down a narrow road and drove right though freshly layed tar. Does anyone know how to remove tar from the paint?
WD-40 works awesome!
Spray it on, let it sit a while, spray once more, then gently remove with soft cloth that has WD-40 sprayed on it, followed by a good soapy washing!
It's always worked great for me.

2bad4u
09-18-2009, 04:48 PM
baby oil will do it, skin or metal

Kaotic Lazagna
09-19-2009, 04:15 AM
They make Bug and Tar removing liquid.

Doesn't work if the tar has dried already. We tried using it on my friend's Cougar.

Bob Dog
09-19-2009, 10:00 AM
there are different qualities of bug & tar remover . the good name brand stuff really does work much better than the cheap stuff...I've been known tho use the miraculous product WD-40 myself if you don't own any you should.

supmet
09-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Make the city it happened in pay for it and get it professionally done. They should NOT have reopened a road that was slinging tar.

ryota
09-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Make the city it happened in pay for it and get it professionally done. They should NOT have reopened a road that was slinging tar.

unfortunately this is correct. i work for a town dpw and we have cars in every once in a while with tar on it. we used to send them to a car was to get it off but we have since bought a cleaner, although i suck because i don't know the name of it (even though i am the one who ordered and picked up the case).

just a fyi... be nice when you talk to them. dpw workers HATE people who drive through their the tar and then complain about it. sometimes it is unreasonable to keep a road closed or dry to the touch but not to a couple thousand pound car. if you're nice to them they'll take care of you and your car (i've spent literally all day one 1 suv before)

Cutie Pie #2
09-21-2009, 06:38 PM
unfortunately this is correct. i work for a town dpw and we have cars in every once in a while with tar on it. we used to send them to a car was to get it off but we have since bought a cleaner, although i suck because i don't know the name of it (even though i am the one who ordered and picked up the case).

just a fyi... be nice when you talk to them. dpw workers HATE people who drive through their the tar and then complain about it. sometimes it is unreasonable to keep a road closed or dry to the touch but not to a couple thousand pound car. if you're nice to them they'll take care of you and your car (i've spent literally all day one 1 suv before)

I called them and got them to get the tar off, they used some kinda of cleaner that they use on their vehicles.:w00t: They were very nice about it also.

Lafiro
09-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Who do you call exactly to have something like this taken care of?

And is there someone to call if I run into a big pothole that damaged my suspension/allignment/tire? Seriously..

bigbang
09-22-2009, 12:50 AM
WD-40 it works

YarisSedan
09-22-2009, 01:23 AM
Theres a product called goo gone or goo be gone something like that. Works pretty well. Be sure when you are done to polish and wax the area. It will strip off any and all wax.

Cutie Pie #2
09-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Who do you call exactly to have something like this taken care of?

And is there someone to call if I run into a big pothole that damaged my suspension/allignment/tire? Seriously..

I just called the State Highway, they said to stop by and someone will come out and wash the tar off my car, so I did, I don't know what they used but it worked pretty good and fast(probably WD-40). Don't know about pot holes and things like that, but they were nice about cleaning the tar off. I then washed it again real good and put a coat of wax on also.

33OH
09-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Nice - I just did this a few days ago as well. They had a "wet" highway open.

Cheers.

yaris-me
10-13-2009, 02:45 AM
Dish washing liquid is very effective and it is environmentally friendly. Many car care products have harsh chemicals and may be toxic to the environment.:smile: