PDA

View Full Version : VOTE! (Turbo vs. S/C)

JCS_IMPORT_25
09-26-2009, 04:25 AM
Lets have a vote.
which is best.

Supercharged Yaris
Turboed Yaris

:w00t::thumbup::bellyroll::clap::headbang::eyebulg e::barf::evil::drinking::respekt::burnrubber::wink ::redface::confused::frown::biggrin::mad::smile::t ongue::iono::cool::eek::drool::wub:

Kaotic Lazagna
09-26-2009, 04:32 AM
I personally like turbochargers over superchargers due to S/C's parasitic loss. But they're both good in their own ways. With S/C's, you get instant power versus turbo lag (but they do have variable turbo's now, so turbo lag might disappear all together in the future).

1NZYaris1
09-26-2009, 05:26 AM
I have a supercharger and I would rather have a turbo, if they ever come out with a plug and play turbo I will sell the s/c.

low volume (psi) units are already available :rolleyes: ex Taiwan :thumbsup:
me i am torn between the 2:redface:

jambo101
09-26-2009, 07:20 AM
Why not just buy a faster car to begin with,going to all the trouble and expense of putting an extra 50-75hp into the Yaris seems a bit of a waste when you will get blown off at the first light by soccer moms mini van:iono:

Lafiro
09-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Most people agree the Yaris is a nice looking car as long as you drop it, tint it, and get the color of your liking. Rims also help a lot.

I myself like the Yaris. But I also agree with you, I would never spend(unless I got a job that paid well) the money put a turbo setup on the car just to watch it go a little faster. It wouldnt be worth the money still, rather off sell the car, use that money and upgrade money and get myself a used c300 4matic 7-speed, and be done with it.

But everyone will do what they want to their cars, and its what makes them happy and gets them compliments even.

I myself did suspension, lights, rims, sound system. I will stop there, no more money into the car after 4 years of owning it almost.

tk-421
09-26-2009, 10:11 AM
I voted SC because they have a plug-n-play kit for our cars and turbos take a lot of time/money to get just right. I may change my mind once MicroImage comes out with its PnP kit for the Yaris, though.

yaris-me
09-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Neither.:smile:

PETERPOOP
09-26-2009, 12:37 PM
I voted SC because they have a plug-n-play kit for our cars and turbos take a lot of time/money to get just right. I may change my mind once MicroImage comes out with its PnP kit for the Yaris, though.

unfortunately, i don't see a kit coming out from MI anyyyyyytime soon. Remember the hood contest? lol. But if they ever did come out with a turbo kit that put down atleast 180whp, I'm in.

ps: I voted supercharger is better for the yaris as of now. With the option of plug and play and a retune with a different management if you wanted to do so (which i plan on doing ), the SC seems the best bet as of now. I mean, how many turbo yaris you see out there in the states? And how many SC'd yaris you see...

Anywho, I would love to have a turbo kit; just no time or balls to piece one together. Come on MI, hurry up at make a sick kit with a map for 180whp. :P I got money at hand.

RacerFreakXXX
09-26-2009, 01:07 PM
From the research I've done Turbo is better hands down. In the long run turbo is cheaper and safer. The only issue with the Yaris is piping and you need to have the car dyno/street-tuned. Honestly if someone came out with a piping kit for the HKS or Greddy kit that would convert the kit from XBto Yaris people would buy it. I would definitely pay 1500 for a down pipe, intercooler, piping w/ bov, and a good intake. Then all you would have to do is buy a turbo kit for the XB for 2500-3000 and you are set.

However I have to agree with PETERPOOP on the supercharger being the best for the yaris as of now. Just because it would take a month of not having my Yaris to go turbo, where I could install a supercharger in a weekend.

PETERPOOP
09-26-2009, 01:26 PM
In the long run turbo is cheaper I would definitely pay 1500 for a down pipe, intercooler, piping w/ bov, and a good intake.

Then all you would have to do is buy a turbo kit for the XB for 2500-3000 and you are set.

Not to be a dick, but you kinda contradicted yourself in this statement. That's not cheap by any means! At most that is $4500! lol. Still need new exhaust setup, dyno/tuning time, etc...

jouna
09-26-2009, 01:33 PM
turbo kits are for pussys i'd go for a custom turbo setup thats were the hp is

PETERPOOP
09-26-2009, 01:37 PM
turbo kits are for pussys

You are correct. Since there are no proven turbo kits for the yaris, there are no turbo yaris on the road in the states. Only garm has put together a turbo kit, and chino bought a kit.

RacerFreakXXX
09-26-2009, 01:49 PM
I said in the long run turbo is better and cheaper. If you don't have to worry about a belt snapping or a car overheating you don't have to spend money on constantly refiling your meth bottle. Now you say what about exhaust and all of that. Even with a supercharger you need an exhaust and all of that. The blitz kit is $3400 + AEM meth kit $390 = $3800 + pulleys $250 = $4,050. You don't need pulleys for a turbocharger because you are already making more power w/o them. Plus you then need to buy an ems that'sll run you roughly $1000 = $5,050.00. Then you add how many times you refill your meth and buying a spare belt the cost is the same or more.

I'm not saying a supercharger is bad, I would buy one right now if I had the $$$.

cali yaris
09-26-2009, 01:49 PM
I would never spend(unless I got a job that paid well) the money put a turbo setup on the car just to watch it go a little faster.

How about a LOT faster? :wink:

puetato89
09-26-2009, 02:08 PM
You are correct. Since there are no proven turbo kits for the yaris, there are no turbo yaris on the road in the states. Only garm has put together a turbo kit, and chino bought a kit.

lol

PETERPOOP
09-26-2009, 02:09 PM
I said in the long run turbo is better and cheaper. If you don't have to worry about a belt snapping or a car overheating you don't have to spend money on constantly refiling your meth bottle. Now you say what about exhaust and all of that. Even with a supercharger you need an exhaust and all of that. The blitz kit is $3400 + AEM meth kit $390 = $3800 + pulleys $250 = $4,050. You don't need pulleys for a turbocharger because you are already making more power w/o them. Plus you then need to buy an ems that'sll run you roughly $1000 = $5,050.00. Then you add how many times you refill your meth and buying a spare belt the cost is the same or more.

I'm not saying a supercharger is bad, I would buy one right now if I had the $$$.

Why do you keep mentioning meth. I'm not running meth? You don't HAVE to run meth. My car hasn't over heated yet. Why are you talking about a EMS? I just picked up a greddy emanage ultimate w/ harness for $400 to retune my car. I'm totally aware of the cost of exhaust, pulleys that you'd want to add for a supercharger ( same with turbo ). Belt snapping? lol. The blitz is $3400 MSRP, but i'm sure none of us actually had to pay that ( thanks garm :wink: ). Anywho, just saying you're willing to pay $4500 for a turbo kit is kinda crazy. Turbos and superchargers can both have their problems down the road, you can't predict anything ( but you can try ). As of now, supercharger still going strong. That all might change after I tune though........ lol

However, let me remind you, I still would like a turbo kit with 180whp ( garm *wink* wink )

RacerFreakXXX
09-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Maybe I'm mistaken but isn't the msrp of the Blitz supercharger $4100. I know garm has it for $3400 shipped, the cheapest price I've seen out there. If you got it cheaper good for you but unless Garm is gonna give us all a discount then that's irrelevant in the general situation.

How much would you pay for a turbo kit for the yaris and what would it have to include?

cali yaris
09-26-2009, 02:39 PM
The blitz is $3400 MSRP

MSRP = $4100

puetato89
09-26-2009, 02:40 PM
i wouldnt pay for an unreliable fi since its my daily driver, im a s/c fan so its a lil biased as well

RacerFreakXXX
09-26-2009, 03:24 PM
you have to look at it like this:

blitz supercharger $3400 + intake $200 + injectors $100 + pulleys $250 + header $200 + ems $500 = $4650.00

xb hks turbo kit $2600 + intercooler $500 + piping $700 + injectors $150 + hks bov $300 + hks boost controller/ turbo timer $400 = $4650.00

In the end the price is basically the same, even with the supporting mods and gauges you need plan to spend about 6-7k to have it done right.

puetato89
09-26-2009, 03:30 PM
and now, reliability, S/C > T/C, labor, S/C > T/C

RacerFreakXXX
09-26-2009, 06:15 PM
I'm not going to argue with that... I am 99% sure I'm going to get the blitz s/c because it's more reliable for daily and I can add it on top of basic breather mods. However if you want power and speed turbo is still the king.

PETERPOOP
09-26-2009, 06:48 PM

blitz supercharger $3400 + intake $200 + injectors $100 + pulleys $250 + header $200 + ems $500 = $4650.00

I'm sure Garm sells the blitz for less than $3400, even though it's priced at that.

aFe intake: $174.50 shipped

You don't need injectors for the blitz kit.

You don't NEED pulleys.

megan header: $189

you don't need management for the blitz.

All of the things listed after the supercharger are not needed to run the blitz kit and be a daily driver.

I will state again, I prefer turbo over supercharger; but not for the yaris ( so far ).

RacerFreakXXX
09-26-2009, 07:09 PM
well it only matters if he sells it to everyone for a lower price, and if that was garms intention I'm sure it would be less at his site. My numbers are from me averaging everything out. There are intakes for $400 for the yaris and maybe not everyone wants an afe intake. You don't need pulleys but you have them and you know it helps with power gain because a supercharger by it's self wont put you at 130whp. A DC header is about $260. All you seem to be doing is nickel and dimming everything so a supercharger looks good. You could easily just buy the hks kit for $2600, get a custom downpipe made and buy an ebay intercooler and only spend $3400. Either way cost is the same. Right now a turbo kit takes more time because there are only manifold that are premade for our engine.

I bet you if garm was selling a turbo kit that came with everything you needed for 4k and made 180whp you would say turbo was better.

cali yaris
09-26-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm sure Garm sells the blitz for less than $3400, even though it's priced at that.

I don't, actually. It should have gone up when my cost did, but I have kept it at the same price.

PETERPOOP
09-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Let it go dude...

I bet you if garm was selling a turbo kit that came with everything you needed for 4k and made 180whp you would say turbo was better.

Here, i'll quote myself so you can get it.

However, let me remind you, I still would like a turbo kit with 180whp ( garm *wink* wink )

I will state again, I prefer turbo over supercharger; but not for the yaris ( so far ).

I'm not nickel and diming anything. You are mentioning things that aren't needed for the supercharger. Just because I have it, doesn't mean it's needed. The aFe intake and megan header are the ones I got ( obviously ), so that's why I mentioned those. I am well aware of the wide arrange of prices for any item on the market.

You could easily just buy the hks kit for $2600.

Ok you say this because someone has done this before right? You know that the engine management will work on our car perfectly right? You are sure you won't have to retune; just slap it on and wire it up. Perfect AFR and all....

You can't use things that haven't even been done yet and say that is the final price of it. Heck, everything you mentioned, NO ONE has ever done. So you shouldn't even be using those as examples.

Supercharger is proven and reliable 20x over. Sure it cost an arm and leg, but what other S/C or turbo kits are out there right now for the yaris that you see people buying and driving as daily drivers? none. Simple supply and demand.

So you can keep arguing a proven blitz kit with an imaginary pieced together kit that noone has even done yet ( HKS kit, or xB turbo kit), and probably won't anytime soon. However, this debate is old and I'm done with it.

SC'd yaris FTW ( for now! dun dun dun...)

puetato89
09-26-2009, 11:33 PM
wow, thats 2 much time and effort for me, this is where ill step down lol

RacerFreakXXX
09-27-2009, 11:43 AM
wow, thats 2 much time and effort for me, this is where ill step down lol

lol... I was just having some fun and trying to prove a point at the same time accepting the supercharger is still great. Anyway every time I read PETERPOOP's comments they have changed.

I was just saying turbo is better, garm has proved it but, has also proved it takes a lot more effort. I am mainly drawing my info from turbo'ed yaris that I've read about in Japan and parts of Asia and other places.

I'm not trying to have a battle here. I think we need more opinions on this one, rofl.

kurokoma-kun
09-27-2009, 12:14 PM
I am mainly drawing my info from turbo'ed yaris that I've read about in Japan and parts of Asia and other places

Yaris in Japan and Asia have a different ECU from USDM models. Tuning a Yaris for turbo is much easier over there, a whole other ballgame in fact.

Just for the sake of comparison I have stock injectors, one lightened pulley, no meth, no ems on my s/c.

As others have pointed out it's hard to define "better" in this case, with so many variables and unknowns on one side, and personal preferences on the other. That's why I didn't vote :wink:

advocate
09-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Since I probably won't be able to afford either I voted for which one I'd have on my car in my dreams

PETERPOOP
09-27-2009, 01:28 PM
lol... I was just having some fun and trying to prove a point at the same time accepting the supercharger is still great. Anyway every time I read PETERPOOP's comments they have changed.

I was just saying turbo is better, garm has proved it but, has also proved it takes a lot more effort. I am mainly drawing my info from turbo'ed yaris that I've read about in Japan and parts of Asia and other places.

I'm not trying to have a battle here. I think we need more opinions on this one, rofl.

I'm just having fun too. My comments have never changed. I've always stated I want(ed) a turbo, but there are no such reliable kits as of now. Hopefully MI makes one in the future, and I'm all over that (as i've stated many times in this thread.... :iono: )

I'm not trying to have a "battle" either. However, I am responding to your replies and I am pretty sure you won't have anything to say to my recent post (which is obvious because you haven't responded to it).

You weren't just saying the turbo is better. You were saying it's cheaper in the long run and that you would buy a $4500 turbo kit. You were also saying you can just slap on a HKS turbo kit on the yaris and have no problems at all. Etc...

I am mainly drawing my info from turbo'ed yaris that I've read about in Japan and parts of Asia and other places.

Yaris in Japan and Asia have a different ECU from USDM models. Tuning a Yaris for turbo is much easier over there, a whole other ballgame in fact.

Just for the sake of comparison I have stock injectors, one lightened pulley, no meth, no ems on my s/c.

As others have pointed out it's hard to define "better" in this case, with so many variables and unknowns on one side, and personal preferences on the other. That's why I didn't vote :wink:

That pretty much sums it up.

scape
09-27-2009, 02:11 PM
that's a shame...toyota of America completely dropped the ball on coolness in the last 15 years, oh well...

hell, they could even have a waiver you sign voiding your warranty and a huge fee, and I bet some of us would still pay and sign, for an unlocked/programmable ECU; no skin off their back except more money...

scape
09-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Why not just buy a faster car to begin with,going to all the trouble and expense of putting an extra 50-75hp into the Yaris seems a bit of a waste when you will get blown off at the first light by soccer moms mini van:iono:

a 175 hp yaris would practically beat out a lancer evo... i'd say that's a great turbo option haha

PETERPOOP
09-27-2009, 03:40 PM
a 175 hp yaris would practically beat out a lancer evo... i'd say that's a great turbo option haha

that's just one of the cars it could beat..

RacerFreakXXX
09-27-2009, 07:32 PM

lol, wow I had no idea it was a different ecu. Now that truly makes a jdm model different than usdm.

Maybe that's why no companies are making a turbo kit for the yaris. :iono:

etheliters
09-27-2009, 10:22 PM
I like turbos hands down.For all the cash I'd shell to make my s/c yaris worth mentioning to anyone except here on yaris world, I'd go for the turbo expiriment. Seems to me the biggest obsticle would be the ecu. I'd only shoot for 7lbs and thought a stock ecu could handle that...But I was involved in a 6lb boost rotrex supercharge install and it came with a piggyback. wtf? But still turbo ftw. 40 hp for $3400?(supercharger kit)
Seems full bolt ons is a better bang for your buck. (then turbo and trophies if so inclined)
Also your s/c probably is fast. Until a turbo pulls up.

PETERPOOP
09-27-2009, 11:20 PM
spools up?

etheliters
09-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Hey why'd you edit? It was informative, I looked for chinocharles but couldn't find his car anymore.? From what you erased it did make me think. If you coud get to 170 s/c'd then that would seem good. I thought a turbo would just be a better gain and leave you more powerful in the final result. Na poop, I meant pulls up. Figured turbo will catch and eat a s/c in most cases. Let me know.

RacerFreakXXX
09-28-2009, 12:36 AM
I highly doubt you could get the blitz supercharger up to that much unless you were running 14+psi, fully tuned, and a built motor.

Anywho, I would love to have a turbo kit; just no time or balls to piece one together. Come on MI, hurry up at make a sick kit with a map for 180whp. :P I got money at hand.

Actually, Peter... you said you had money for a turbo, why don't you build your motor up? If you have the money and could make some time, I think it would be awesome to see what a supercharger would do on an engine like garm's but keep the 10.0:1 compression... or maybe even bump it up to 11.0:1.

puetato89
09-28-2009, 12:43 AM
yeah and blow the motor peter, its all kool as long as you give the S/C i can pay for shipping:wink:

PETERPOOP
09-28-2009, 01:35 AM
I highly doubt you could get the blitz supercharger up to that much unless you were running 14+psi, fully tuned, and a built motor.

Actually, Peter... you said you had money for a turbo, why don't you build your motor up? If you have the money and could make some time, I think it would be awesome to see what a supercharger would do on an engine like garm's but keep the 10.0:1 compression... or maybe even bump it up to 11.0:1.

Cali yaris was running I think only 10psi and at 180 whp non built motor and ran fine for a year. I am at 8psi and could add acouple more lbs of boost with an overdrive crank pulley or a fixed pulley. Tuned and it could reach 170whp I think. Never know....but i'm going to find out in due time. :)

I do have the money, but definately not the time. I'm a full time student and I work construction. I won't be the man to be doing a built motor anytime soon.

Hey why'd you edit? It was informative, I looked for chinocharles but couldn't find his car anymore.? From what you erased it did make me think. If you coud get to 170 s/c'd then that would seem good. I thought a turbo would just be a better gain and leave you more powerful in the final result. Na poop, I meant pulls up. Figured turbo will catch and eat a s/c in most cases. Let me know.

I deleted it because I was over it. Chinocharles probably deleted his info on his car. He pretty much said he had 180whp (according to ZPI's dyno ) and he finally dyno'd it and found out it made 145whp. lmao. He also deleted the info because he had a hissy fit and got banned from the forums. lmao x2.

Well the turbo can only pull up when it spools up. hehe

yeah and blow the motor peter, its all kool as long as you give the S/C i can pay for shipping:wink:

If I ever blew my engine up (which could be a possibility when I tune ), i'll sell you the S/C. You got dibs.

puetato89
09-28-2009, 02:31 AM
sell or give:wink:

anonymous user
09-28-2009, 04:02 AM
Best? For what?

puetato89
09-28-2009, 10:37 AM
i guess its "in general"

RacerFreakXXX
09-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Peter -
yea I know the deal, I finally got a 9-5 job but I'm in debt till spring so I got's no money. I'd love to see you even pull 150whp out of your car. I do know there was this site that would build a head and cams for you and refund some of the money when you send them your head and cams back. I saw it on the micro image forums, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. That may be an option but, I know it's like 3k or something around there.

Blown_xa
10-12-2009, 10:07 PM
let me chime in on this one, I have had the Blitz sc on my 1nz xA. I can tell you that is definately NOT more realiable than a decent turbo set-up. It left me on the side of the road a few times. I assume the Yaris is the same, it comes with a 4pk belt width? And the crank pulley is not keyed, what keeps it from rotating on the crank shaft is nothing but an 1/8" roll pin. I went through every brand of belt to find one sticky enough to not slip and strong enough to not stretch. And when I got it to where the belt stopped slipping, the crank pulley roll pin shears. Its a pain drilling it out. I found that a high quality hardened drill bit (round end) works best as it doesnt shear as easily. The consisancy of performance bugged me as the belt had to be constantly re-tensioned and checked or boost is lost or if it was too tight it would bind and power was lost. I had about 40,000 supercharged miles.

I then went with the Greddy turbo kit. I have had that kit on for over 50,000 miles of time attacks, auto crosses, and drags strip time... and driving everywhere in between. The only problem I ever had with the turbo set-up was cracking the downpipe, which was due to a shotty custom exhaust with the flex section half way back under the car.

I am pushing 20 psi with my old Greddy kit now and it's still kickin. I did some improvements to get more out of the tiny turbo such as a better intake, blow through MAF set-up, 2.5" downpipe (2" original) and 3" exhaust, also meth injection. So far so good

frownonfun
10-12-2009, 10:24 PM
ok ok thinking about it after the fact my post was a little too much. i had just read a few posts on the first page that struck a nerve. obviously i've read similar posts in the past knocking other users' pursuit of the fabled "fast yaris" and, idk, tonight it just got a little old. but anyway i apologize for being an ass. carry on.

btw i voted s/c.

EDIT: bad frownonfun

PETERPOOP
10-12-2009, 10:52 PM
lmao. frownnofun, where the heck did that come from?

lilredrocket
10-12-2009, 10:53 PM
If you are going to go s/c'd then get the PE kit. IMO it was worth the hassles of the install make sure you have a extra car if you need to make runs to the parts stores and shops.

ozmdd
10-12-2009, 11:02 PM
lmao. frownnofun, where the heck did that come from?

+100! Frown is one of the most laid-back guys I know. Wow. :clap:

ozmdd
10-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Lets have a vote.
which is best.

Supercharged Yaris
Turboed Yaris

:w00t::thumbup::bellyroll::clap::headbang::eyebulg e::barf::evil::drinking::respekt::burnrubber::wink ::redface::confused::frown::biggrin::mad::smile::t ongue::iono::cool::eek::drool::wub:

I'm sorry, but where is choice #3: "Turbo" badge w/ interfooler??

hatchbackkid82
10-14-2009, 03:42 PM
I don't think a 175whp Yaris could take an EVO, I love my car but i know when it's out gunned. He would get you off the launch, even if your running slicks

why?
10-14-2009, 10:21 PM
This has been a fun thread to read. I vote turbo because there is nothing like a turbo kicking on and that torque steer snapping your car 4 feet sideways. That was one of the absolute most fun feelings I've ever had driving.

Saying that I think I'd invest in figuring out how to make my Yaris AWD before adding a turbo. Then when I had the power I could use it well.

RacerFreakXXX
10-17-2009, 08:23 PM
IMO the only good awd car for racing is a rwd/awd setup like the evo or gtr. FWD is not bad, especialy on light weight hatches.

I have grown to love both turbo and supercharger. They both have their ups and downs and are better suited for different applications. I have decided supercharger for my situation unless a inexpensive small bolt on turbo kit was available but that may never happen.

The Spectacle
10-18-2009, 09:52 PM
I didn't read the whole thread but I'll throw some comments out there:

The only thing I see holding the Yaris back from making good, reliable power is the lack of a real engine management system. Piggybacks like the Emanage aren't the best solution because they just trick the ECU into seeing conditons that don't really exist, which limits the capability of the solution. If AEM or another company made a standalone EMS for the Yaris like they do for the TC, the possibilities would be a lot greater.

With that said, with the availability of engine management on the market right now, I'd go with a SC. They're very linear and predictable and therefor easier to tune. Turbo's are a different animal and take a lot more care on the tuning side to get dialed in right to make the vehicle have stock drive ability like characteristics.

jt258
10-19-2009, 10:28 AM
EVO IS FRONT WHEEL DRIVE BASED AWD. THE GTR IS RWD BASED AWD.

cali yaris
10-19-2009, 11:01 AM
48 - 11

PETERPOOP
10-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Doesn't this inspire you to get a MI turbo kit for us? :)

mikebdubsuby
10-19-2009, 03:09 PM
I personally prefer turbo, I've driven in supercharged cars and turbo cars, my DD is a WRX swapped Impreza RS and I just feel like a turbo is more power efficient.

I'm new to the Yaris, me and my gf just bought ours like 2 weeks ago, but from what I've read there's more options for supercharging over turbocharging for this platform.

I also agree with the earlier posts about buying a faster car, a Yaris makes what like 120 hp? Not a really great starting point for a build. It's a nice, clean, economy car, I'd just keep it that way. Well that's my newb forced induction Yaris opinion. Maybe as I learn more it'll change.

CaysE
10-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Turbo is always better in terms of power.

But if we're voting for better in general, I'd say a supercharger is just plain easier to deal with.

PETERPOOP
10-19-2009, 04:22 PM
a Yaris makes what like 120 hp?.

More like 85 whp, stock.

mikebdubsuby
10-19-2009, 04:52 PM
I meant like to the crank, so I guess I was pretty close. I don't see why you would wanna drop that much $ on something with that baseline. A swap or a different seems like a better investment. It's just like when people mod a non vtec d series. Seems pointless when you can do a head swap or a b series swap for around the same cost.

CaysE
10-19-2009, 08:13 PM
A swap to a better engine is always good, but it's like all those non-VTEC D series cars: sometimes it's good just to see what you can do with what you have. There's always something faster out there. :)

mikebdubsuby
10-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah I can appreciate that. When I bought my car (04 Subaru Impreza RS) I really wanted to build the N/A 2.5, but then I learned about cars lol. So building an engine with an open deck block didn't seem worth it when I couldn't make very much reliable hp. I swapped in my WRX motor and I feel like that was the better way to go.

Blown_xa
10-19-2009, 08:30 PM
I meant like to the crank, so I guess I was pretty close. I don't see why you would wanna drop that much $ on something with that baseline. A swap or a different seems like a better investment. It's just like when people mod a non vtec d series. Seems pointless when you can do a head swap or a b series swap for around the same cost.

the point is, it's more satifying to make a slower car fast. And it's harder. Anybody with the funds can go to the dealership and buy a fast car, and do well in motorsports event with minor work... but where is the blood and sweat in that? There are so many fast Evos and s2000's and STI's and Mazdas speeds... it's not uncommon. What is great is passing those guys on the track. And it can be done. Nobody remembers that "fast Evo" at track day, because there were 5. People remember the Yaris or xA that passed that evo though.

frownonfun
10-20-2009, 12:22 AM
to buy a car and swap the engine with a different car makes no sense to me. why didn't you just buy the car with the engine you swapped to in the first place?

CaysE
10-20-2009, 08:40 AM
An engine is just a bunch of parts; it's like swapping any other part of the car. One could argue, "why modify a car at all?" You know the answer to that: you're on an enthusiast forum, after all. Most people here are modifying their cars.

Anyway, to answer your question more directly: it saves money. You can transfer a stronger engine that was never available for your model car. For example: say I like my 1992 Camaro but want to be as fast as modern Corvettes. I'm not going to spend $60k just to buy the Vette; I'm going to spend $6k to swap in an LSX motor.

mikebdubsuby
10-20-2009, 09:54 AM
to buy a car and swap the engine with a different car makes no sense to me. why didn't you just buy the car with the engine you swapped to in the first place?

Because I didn't know how significant the difference in holding boost was between a closed deck and open deck block. And once I bought the car and wanted to turbo it and did research and found out that my engine wouldn't hold, swapping seemed like a better option than selling my car and taking a loss. Swapping isn't a big deal. It was a weekend project. It was simple. I'm able to retain my complete stock drivetrain. All that was really involved was pulling one motor, swapping out the fuel pump for a higher flowing one, and then swapping the crossmember, drop the other motor in and you're done. With that mentality, why do anything to your car instead of buying a car that was modded by the previous owner? Because we're car enthusiasts.

RacerFreakXXX
10-20-2009, 08:12 PM
the only upside to swapping in a wrx motor on a rs is saving on insurance costs, rofl. I would have gone sti motor swap if you are gonna go that far though. On the yaris you are better off building the engine because weight is the key factor in the car.

Again as it will for a while, once a good tuning option comes along for the yaris there will be more turbo options. For right now a supercharger on an un-tuned yaris seems safer than a turbo yaris in a lot of people's minds. If only we had something like k-pro for our toyota's. I feel like people have forgotten a lot about them in the tuning industry (not that toyota puts out a sports car any more cough cough).

frownonfun
10-20-2009, 08:48 PM
With that mentality, why do anything to your car instead of buying a car that was modded by the previous owner? Because we're car enthusiasts.

which was kind of my point. i see posts all too often (like yours) questioning why people make performance modifications to a car like the yaris. i just don't get it. what does it matter to anyone else what one does to THEIR car? some people swap out perfectly good engines and others mod econoboxes. either way what's the problem?

and besides the poll doesn't ask hey do you think people should mod their yaris to make it faster.

not picking on you personally but i just wish people would stop popping into threads talking about how it doesn't make sense to mod the yaris. why does it have to make sense?

Blown_xa
10-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Yeah I can appreciate that. When I bought my car (04 Subaru Impreza RS) I really wanted to build the N/A 2.5, but then I learned about cars lol. So building an engine with an open deck block didn't seem worth it when I couldn't make very much reliable hp. I swapped in my WRX motor and I feel like that was the better way to go.

You can make a lot of reliable power with an open deck motor. I guess you have a high number in mind to be conserned about open vs closed deck design. Of coarse Im refering to Toyota power plants, maybe with Subaru motors they are not strong blocks.

RacerFreakXXX
10-21-2009, 12:07 AM
http://creativesignmaking.co.uk/shop/images/boosted%20snail.jpg

Sorry I just had to :rolleyes:

CaysE
10-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Clearly.

advocate
10-21-2009, 12:26 AM
Image dimensions: 3871px × 3248px

mikebdubsuby
10-21-2009, 12:31 PM
You can make a lot of reliable power with an open deck motor. I guess you have a high number in mind to be conserned about open vs closed deck design. Of coarse Im refering to Toyota power plants, maybe with Subaru motors they are not strong blocks.

I'm not looking to make my dd into a race car, but my target goal is around 350whp which will be pretty doable with my current engine. My stock motor with 165 to the crank just wasn't gonna put down the kinda of power I wanted and be reliable at the same time. I could've supercharged that motor or turbo'd it, but stock it already had 10:1 compression, it was SOHC, it just wasn't a good starting point. Not for what my car weighs anyway. Now I have .5 liters less displacement, but DOHC, and a closed deck block. There's just more options for me now. With a turbo upgrade, injectors, exhaust, and a bit of open source tuning I should be able to squeeze out a lot of power for not much $.

window_lee
10-30-2009, 05:31 AM

xb hks turbo kit $2600 + intercooler $500 + piping $700 + injectors $150 + hks bov $300 + hks boost controller/ turbo timer $400 = $4650.00

In the end the price is basically the same, even with the supporting mods and gauges you need plan to spend about 6-7k to have it done right.

what about the labour??? supercharger is much easier to install

chongopants
10-30-2009, 08:11 AM
I have been looking into this and the turbo will perform better, but its simply much more of a pain in the arse to get working without damaging the vehicle in the long run. I would go S/C if I just had the cash to blow, but I can build up my turbo a lot cheaper, and it will have more HP, so again I am torn...

The Spectacle
11-02-2009, 03:25 PM
not picking on you personally but i just wish people would stop popping into threads talking about how it doesn't make sense to mod the yaris. why does it have to make sense?

It does have to make sense to those of us who value money and not throw it in the toilet because of a 100hp car. Modding this car for power is just plain...ugh I'll reserve my comments to avoid hurting someones feelings.

thebarber
11-02-2009, 04:15 PM
i voted turbo, but id rock either

but i have a greddy s/c coming cus i got it used on the cheap and its easier and less invasive to install than a turbo kit. though itll never make as much power as a turbo can.

PETERPOOP
11-02-2009, 07:48 PM
It does have to make sense to those of us who value money and not throw it in the toilet because of a 100hp car. Modding this car for power is just plain...ugh I'll reserve my comments to avoid hurting someones feelings.

Why'd you spend money on a stainless steel exhaust setup for the yaris? :iono: Help it "breathe" better?

thebarber
11-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Why'd you spend money on a stainless steel exhaust setup for the yaris? :iono: Help it "breathe" better?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b339/dabarber/osnap.jpg

frownonfun
11-02-2009, 08:45 PM

plain what? i have modded mine and now i like it more than i did when i first bought it. doesn't seem like much of a waste of money to me. if modding this car as a hobby is really so stupid please let me know what are spectacle approved hobbies and maybe i'll take one of those up. til then i'll continue to spend a portion of my hard earned dollar on my yaris. because frankly i enjoy it.

N3misiS
11-03-2009, 03:51 AM
Turbo, Hands down,

cali yaris
11-03-2009, 02:02 PM
yeah that is pretty far off. Why put an intake on one and not the other?
Here it is again (using your number for the HKS stuff, I have no clue where those came from):

blitz supercharger $3400 + + injectors $100 + crank pulley (the only one that matters) $110 = $3610.00. No tuning or management required.

xb hks turbo kit $2600 + intercooler $500 + piping $700 + injectors $150 + hks bov $300 + hks boost controller/ turbo timer $400+ EMS (Greddy or FIC) $400 + TUNING $500 = $5550.00

Plus, the second option requires access to a shop with a dyno and a competent tuner.

cali yaris
11-03-2009, 02:05 PM

Will someone just ban this goof? What part of "to each his own" don't you get, man? I respect your choices, but you clearly don't respect mine with statements like that.

Ugh is right.

KCALB SIRAY
11-03-2009, 02:23 PM
The Serve>>>>

The Return<<<<
Will someone just ban this goof? What part of "to each his own" don't you get, man? I respect your choices, but you clearly don't respect mine with statements like that.

Ugh is right.

http://www.freewebs.com/djworks/hippo.gif

PETERPOOP
11-03-2009, 02:38 PM
The Serve>>>>

The Return<<<<

http://www.freewebs.com/djworks/hippo.gif

The return was actually from me.

Camell and garm: haven't you guys read my responses to the racer guyearlier in this thread? he just doesn't get it.

KCALB SIRAY
11-03-2009, 02:48 PM
wow, Pete! Did I hurt your feelings or something?

PETERPOOP
11-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm broken.

cali yaris
11-03-2009, 10:59 PM
You still do not need to buy injectors or a crank pulley for the blitz.

I just kept that in there... um, for continuity? :smile:

RacerFreakXXX
11-03-2009, 11:08 PM
lol... love it, NO you don't technically need anything but the supercharger. However, those extra mods really do help.

I'm hoping to see how cheep I can build a hks turbo kit, want to keep price at $3400 w/o tune:

turbo kit $2600 + downpipe $100 + custom intercooler piping $300 + intercooler $400... my goal is just that... maybe I can find a good small intercooler for $200 and throw in injectors for $3400. Luckily I met some people at my job that know places that will do custom piping work (in upper westechter it is hard to find these things)

lilredrocket
11-04-2009, 12:05 AM
yeah that is pretty far off. Why put an intake on one and not the other?
Here it is again (using your number for the HKS stuff, I have no clue where those came from):

blitz supercharger $3400 + + injectors $100 + crank pulley (the only one that matters) $110 = $3610.00. No tuning or management required.

xb hks turbo kit $2600 + intercooler $500 + piping $700 + injectors $150 + hks bov $300 + hks boost controller/ turbo timer $400+ EMS (Greddy or FIC) $400 + TUNING $500 = $5550.00

Plus, the second option requires access to a shop with a dyno and a competent tuner.

The HKS kit for the xB comes with a F-con mini.... Not sure how well that would work with the Yaris ECU

RacerFreakXXX
11-04-2009, 12:10 AM
I don't think anyone really does. I'm not going to be running more than 7 or 8psi so tuning will come later.. My main concern is the downpipe... but that's not till next summer, gonna buy a diff and a clutch first (supporting mods that should be done)

cali yaris
11-04-2009, 12:25 AM
downpipe wouldn't be that hard to make if someone knew what they were doing. It's really just a pipe with a couple of bends, flanges at the ends, and a bung or two for sensors.

02-14-2010, 03:30 PM
its hard to say "best." With superchargers you usually get lower safer numbers and being that the supercharger is belt driven you get instant boost when you step on the pedal. Superchargers have that beautiful whine, and they make great daily drivers.

Turbos make POWER! You usually get some kind of turbo lag because they are not belt driven. You can drive under boost and not lose the gas mileage as well. I love the sound of a turbo and a BOV as well.

Its hard to say but i want a turbo kit so Ill vote that lol.