PDA

View Full Version : Join my 29.5+ MPG club.

Vitz RangaaaH
09-29-2009, 12:02 AM
In order to join you must drive 50% city 40% highway
And 10% off road. So seriously idk how some people get these
Absurd amount of mpg. I seriously think some people are bullshitting
Some numbers. I have a well maintained 07 5sp with 40+ thousand miles. I drive like grandpa. Seldom ever ever use the a\c. How the hell do I end up with less then 30 MPG? Yes I check my tire pressure blaah blah blah the whole nine yards. So seriously how does it get less then 30 MPG's?

tomato
09-29-2009, 01:09 AM
That's odd. My Yaris is 07, > 57K miles, 5 speed, and I drive mostly city, let's say 70% city, 30% freeway. I manage lower to mid-30's (no off-road, though, unless the potholes around here count?)

Some people may be hypermillers. :iono:

fmicle
09-29-2009, 01:28 AM
Yeah, I don't know how people can get UNDER 30 mpg. Seriously! I drive more city than freeway, I accelerate hard (because I like the sound of my CAI and the extra power the few mods I have give me) and still can't get below 33 mpg! I drove to LA a couple of months ago, mostly 70-80 mph, with 2 more adults and one baby in the car and I got 37 mpg on the way there!

What I do? I shift quickly, I try to use the brakes as little as possible and turn off the engine at long traffic lights. I never idle.

My best mileage so far, 50-50 (city-freeway) was 40 mpg, when I tried a little harder. I bet I could get 50 mpg if I drove 55 mph on some backroads through the country side. At 55 mph on the freeway I would risk being run over by a truck around here.

fmicle
09-29-2009, 01:31 AM
A question for the experts on this forum: could a hot and humid climate (Florida) make such a big difference in mpg versus a hot and dry climate (California)?

Loren
09-29-2009, 02:09 AM
I live in the Tampa area. Drove the hell out of my car for the first tank when I bought it (used w/ 5k miles on it) and got 28 mpg. Since then, I don't recall ever getting less than 36 except on the race track. I typically get between 38 and 44 and have seen almost 50 with enough effort. My typical driving is all city, rarely over 50 mph, and almost always with the AC on.

It can be done, and it's really not that difficult. Try shifting at 10 mph (out of first at 10, out of 2nd at 20, etc) and accelerating gently. A light foot is what it takes to get good MPG. With that, try to maintain a constant speed as much as possible. Look ahead, think ahead, anticipate traffic and avoid using the brakes. Learn to coast in-gear for as long as possible when coming to a stop or approaching traffic. The Yaris uses NO fuel when off-throttle as long as the RPM stays above 1200 rpm.

All of this info and more is readily available on this forum (and elsewhere). Search for it.

We're not lying to you. 40 mpg is easy if you want it. 50 is hard, but not impossible.

kuyachris84
09-29-2009, 02:12 AM
That sucks. I drive my car pretty rough... i have a lead foot when driving and I get around 32-34 mpg... I'd probably do better if I drove like a grandpa.

I also don't drive with my spare tire. I know it seems kinda stupid, but with it my yaris feels so slow... and without it.. it seems like it has better 'go' after a stop light turns green.

Oh, I also have an Autometer Ecometer which connects to OBD II and it tells me real time how much mpg. You can change the settings to how much mpg you want to get... 25,30,35,40. I keep mine at 35 mpg and i get pretty close to 35 when I try.

1NZYaris1
09-29-2009, 02:25 AM
:smoking: Thats your problem you drive like a Grandpa ,
try changing gears every now and then .
You might be plesantly surprised at how quite the car gets as well .
but remember Speed Kills .
:drinking:

Vitz RangaaaH
09-29-2009, 06:16 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I'll be researching from here on out.

2+2
09-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Try shifting at 10 mph (out of first at 10, out of 2nd at 20, etc)

Those shift points seem to be helping me quite a bit. If you can, couple the shifting strategy with the right road. Since you'd be shifting into 5th at about 40 - 45 mph, roads with a 45 or 55 mph speed limit are saweet if they don't have too many stop signs/traffic lights.

I've spent most of the last 6 or 8 weekends house shopping out in "the sticks" about 20 miles from where I now live. I've tried taking the e-way out there but I don't like everyone blowing past me at 75 mph with me doing 55. I feel like I'm being rude and lol I feel like it's target practice and I'm about to be the target. Taking roads with 45 - 55 mph speed limits and putting up with a few stop signs takes longer but it's giving me better mileage and I actually enjoy the drive. It's a smell the roses thing combined with the "only motorsport that saves you money" thing. (lol steeling someone elses line).

Loren
09-29-2009, 07:34 PM
You don't necessarily have to drive "slow" to get good gas mileage. I typically drive 5 over the limit. Just maintain a light foot in getting TO that speed.

Another trick you can do (this is a version of "pulse and glide" and takes advantage of "DFCO"... look it up!) is to simply take your foot completely off the gas for 2-3 seconds anytime you can. You'll lose 3-5 mph. Maintain your light foot getting back up to speed. On my typical city drive of 20-miles or so, each time I pull off the gas for 3 seconds, I gain about .1 mpg (so says the ScanGauge) for the trip.

Coast to stoplights. Anticipate them enough that you can coast, never touch the brakes AND never come to a complete stop if you can. If you maintain 20 mph, that's 20 mph you don't have to accelerate back up to!

"Driving like grandpa" was mentioned. Driving slowly does not necessarily equate to driving efficiently. If you hammer the gas to get up to 40 mph, then tailgate every car you come across so that you have to almost come to a stop every time someone else needs to make a turn (and then accelerate again!), you're driving inefficiently! You could drive 5, even 10 mph faster, if you can MAINTAIN that speed, and get better MPG by driving more efficiently.

Good luck!

Lafiro
09-29-2009, 07:42 PM
See this is the problem.

City driving means every 100-300feet there is usually a car double parked, a stop sign, a light, or bumper to bumper traffic.

Highway usually means either crashes, bumper to bumper traffic, or high beams if your going slower then 65mph on certain highways/parkways.

Speed limits in the city are 30mph, and highway is 55mph.(or was that 50)

For me I have a sound system, and a completely dynomated trunk, and 17"rims with unfortunately heavy falcon 912 tires.

So this is why I get 28-30.5mpg average.
So you are not alone.

Citi driving for "others" is still usually highway, just a lower speed limit, I know this because city to me in other states is still usually easy driving, no heavy acceleration, and long straights. While highways, are just uncongested and easy flowing highways.

THis is all why some average 27-30. And others average 35+.

Loren
09-29-2009, 10:01 PM
True, all cities are not created equal. I'm very glad for that. :)

fmicle
09-29-2009, 11:50 PM
You don't necessarily have to drive "slow" to get good gas mileage. I typically drive 5 over the limit. Just maintain a light foot in getting TO that speed.

Another trick you can do (this is a version of "pulse and glide" and takes advantage of "DFCO"... look it up!) is to simply take your foot completely off the gas for 2-3 seconds anytime you can. You'll lose 3-5 mph. Maintain your light foot getting back up to speed. On my typical city drive of 20-miles or so, each time I pull off the gas for 3 seconds, I gain about .1 mpg (so says the ScanGauge) for the trip.

Coast to stoplights. Anticipate them enough that you can coast, never touch the brakes AND never come to a complete stop if you can. If you maintain 20 mph, that's 20 mph you don't have to accelerate back up to!

"Driving like grandpa" was mentioned. Driving slowly does not necessarily equate to driving efficiently. If you hammer the gas to get up to 40 mph, then tailgate every car you come across so that you have to almost come to a stop every time someone else needs to make a turn (and then accelerate again!), you're driving inefficiently! You could drive 5, even 10 mph faster, if you can MAINTAIN that speed, and get better MPG by driving more efficiently.

Good luck!

Amen! :w00t:

Astroman
09-29-2009, 11:59 PM
I usually average 28-35 mpg. the best ever in my auto is 36.7. Our roads and speed limits suck as there are no areas where I can really go 45 legally. Mostly I know my mileage sucks is because of my right foot. :rolleyes:

However keeping the same driving habits in the stock '09 5-speed, I get 36city/44hwy.

SilverBack
09-30-2009, 05:16 AM
Are you almost due for an oil or air filter change? My MPG usually acts up within the last 2K miles before it's due

Lafiro
09-30-2009, 10:45 AM
No. Just changed mine to Royal Purple 5w-20 with an K&N filter. These two tanks gave me 30.5mpg. Almost on my third tank, maybe by today or tomorrow I will find out the avaerage again.

I do need to change a few things on the car; air intake filter and cabin filter;

and assuming these need to be changed: brake fluid, tranny fluid, coolant fluid.

ozmdd
09-30-2009, 11:06 AM
If you use a K&N, be careful not to over-oil. Not only does it reduce airflow, but oil on your AFM will throw a code.

ern-diz
10-05-2009, 06:25 PM
my numbers look something like...90% city driving, 75mph average when on highways, 17" rims, 28-30mpg average

Lafiro
10-05-2009, 10:22 PM
my numbers look something like...90% city driving, 75mph average when on highways, 17" rims, 28-30mpg average

The is EXACTLY what I see. But atleast the last three tanks were 30-31mpg.

ozmdd
10-06-2009, 12:21 AM
The 17's will have an effect, as will the 75 mph driving. Honestly, I think 30 mpg is respectable for the info you give about your driving.

Lafiro, low 30's tells me you drive a lot like me; relatively smooth, but still on the gas quite often. You like passing pokeys as much as I do?

I get 33-34 around Dallas (80% freeway, 20% in-town) morning rush M-F, 39-41 on the highway (cruise set at 70).

Lafiro
10-08-2009, 02:58 PM
I like passing slow people all the time. People hate slow drivers.

Red lights cause 20seconds-2minutes of idle wasted gas every time I stop. Could happen a few ties in a trip.

Just filled this tank, exactly 30.5MPG again. But I noticed all my tired are around 31PSI.

Maybe I should up that to 36? Or 40? Then again I will feel like bumps even more doing so which sucks.

Sir A.Y. Atoyot
10-08-2009, 04:43 PM
I like passing slow people all the time. People hate slow drivers.

Red lights cause 20seconds-2minutes of idle wasted gas every time I stop. Could happen a few ties in a trip.

Just filled this tank, exactly 30.5MPG again. But I noticed all my tired are around 31PSI.

Maybe I should up that to 36? Or 40? Then again I will feel like bumps even more doing so which sucks.
Speaking personally, I hate loonies who pass me unsafely when I'm driving at or above the speed limit. Grow up!

westgl
10-18-2009, 01:09 PM
The Only way i think you could get less than 30mpg with a 5sp Yaris is if Driving like a grampa you were lugging the engine too much,

this engine should be driven, not foot to the floor but enough to keep it in the proper rev range.

I have an 09' automatic 3-door (totally stock) and get 35+ mpg with less than 10K, I drive 85% city, 15% hwy

just my 2cts

westgl

Yaris Hilton
10-18-2009, 05:11 PM
You're likely using the brakes too much. Every time you touch the brake pedal you're turning kinetic energy into waste heat. You built up that kinetic energy by burning gas. Drive like you didn't have any brakes.

YarisSedan
10-18-2009, 11:50 PM
I typically adverage around 30 or close to 30. If i drive as economical as possible following my eco meter i can get about 36 to 38 on my normal commute.

advocate
10-19-2009, 04:36 AM
I drive like a bat out of hell with 205/50/16 tires and get 30 MPG without trying.

eijikikimaru
10-19-2009, 05:01 AM
I live in So. Cal near the beaches.
Temperature usually around the 75 degrees Fahrenheit on average.
My commute for each tank is mostly 30city/70hwy. Traffic when I drive is usually in the Light category.
The street I use most is mainly a flat road(Brookhurst), until the freeway on ramp(405) unfortunately the main road I use has a lot of street lights. I believe the speed limit is @ 45mph with 3-4 lanes.
I drive a '07 3dr LB 5 speed manual with rear seat removed.
Drive on 17x7 Konig Feathers with Toyo Proxes 215x40x17
Drive with Mobil 1 5w-20 syn oil, NST wp/alt/crank pullies, NST short shifter(don't know if this matters), and K&N filter.

I don't have a scan-gauge so my MPG isn't accurate down to the last drop. I write how much I driven and divide it with the amount of gas I filled up with. I call it a rough estimate.

I also don't have a Tachometer so I drive by feel.

MY typical driving gear change will be:
1st: 0 to 18mph
2nd: 18-30mph
3rd: 30-40mph
4th: 40-50mph
5th: 50-72mph

I'm not one to slowly creep up to my shifting speeds but I'm also not the one that fully opens throttle either. I'm not one to remove my foot and coast myself to slow down to the next red light(I will try it now though) but I'm also not a hard breaker. I tend to give 2 car sedan space in front of me so I can slow down accordingly. I find that since my car isn't so fast I just gave in to that fact and just go at my own flow. Most time I try to get the mid lane because it seems to have the smoothest flow. Far right lane tend to have drivers pulling into complexes(thus forcing other drivers in front of me to brake, usually late because they're impatient -_-) or pull into the far right lanes from complexes. That in turn will cause me to slow down or completely stop. I try to drive in middle lane on the freeway but sometimes the flow is just too fast(80+mph) so I just drive in the "slow" lane. I also try and avoid heavy traffic hours

For the 2 1/2 years that I've been driving my Yaris I have yet to reach 40mpg, but then again I haven't actually tried. I just been satisfied with my 34mpg-36mpg per tank. The lowest I've ever gotten in one tank was 25mpg and that was because my friend was driving my car up hill with the A/C on the way to Vegas :laugh:

I'm sure smaller rims, coasting to stops, and slowly accelerating up to speed will help me reach 40mpg. We shall see.

As for the OP. I hope my info I provided (how I drive, the conditions I'm driving in, and the specs I have on my car) will gives you a chance to compare and possibly help you reach your goal.

stripey
10-30-2009, 05:25 PM

Good luck!

Great advice. And it's a hell of a lot more relaxing to drive this way rather than accelerating and braking like a lunatic!

kac
10-30-2009, 05:31 PM
You're likely using the brakes too much. Every time you touch the brake pedal you're turning kinetic energy into waste heat. You built up that kinetic energy by burning gas. Drive like you didn't have any brakes.

agreed.

Use momentum to keep you going. DFCO for slowing down, and slow down in advance if you're gonna get to a red light.

Vitz RangaaaH
11-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I've put the tips to good use and average 35 now. That's on 17" 75% city driving. Made me laugh.

Loren
11-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Nicely done! Keep applying what you've learned and it will get even better as those things become habit.

I decided to drive a little more "normally" and just enjoy driving for a while, so on my current tank, I haven't really been hypermiling. I do the occasional jackrabbit start, wrap out 1st and 2nd gear to near the limiter, drive fast when traffic allows, etc. But, my "smooth cruising" and "coast when possible" habits still have me averaging nearly 37 mpg for this tank!

Vitz RangaaaH
11-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Loren, thanks for words of encouragement. I suppose you and I drive very similar. I can't help my peculiar ways. I have to feel the raw power of 78WHP sometimes lol.

CKaelin
11-10-2009, 04:01 PM
sig