PDA

View Full Version : --- Does power steering turn off at high speeds? ---

basslover911
10-10-2009, 07:21 PM
1- Does the electric power assist "stop" after a certain speed?

2- Better yet, has anyone completely removed the power steering? How does it feel? (People do it all the time to Honda's that weigh about what the Yaris does, and they say its fine... ??)

CTScott
10-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Yes it turns off:

"The power steering ECU determines the direction and the amount of assisting power in accordance with the vehicle speed signals and signals from the torque sensor built into the steering column assembly. As a result, steering effort is controlled to be light during low speed driving and moderately high during high speed driving."

You can disable it completely by removing the EPS fuse. There are a couple of threads where people have discussed doing so and how it feels.

basslover911
10-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Well most people comment on how its hard to turn at very slow speeds (under 10mph).

But I am wondering at higher speeds (45mph+) which I can't seem to find an answer. I was thinking of putting a switch on the fuse that turns it completely off at 20mph+

CTScott
10-10-2009, 08:18 PM
I believe that the cut off, where the power assist is completely off is either 10 or 15 MPH. I couldn't find the number in a quick look in the service manual.

Sabretooth
10-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Garm I believe is the only person here who has a removed his power steering system in a newer gen Yaris. He would be the guy to ask!

tk-421
10-12-2009, 12:35 AM
I removed mine temporarily (by accident) and it was very difficult to turn the car at slow speeds. I didn't try it at higher speeds, but I really didn't/don't see the point...

AND189
10-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Mate I got mine to 192km on the manero freeway between Sydney ang jindabine big hill with wind behinde me the powerstearing is on but ha ha you don't want to turn to much at that speed ...

lilredrocket
10-12-2009, 12:21 PM
I know lazerdot removed his and did a test drive with it he said it was very hard to turn at low speeds and said it felt ok on the highway