PDA

View Full Version : First time AutoX with the Yaris

Keith Tinari
10-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Had a great time except the Announcer humiliated me the entire day.

I ran off course on all my runs except my last run. I was missing a short slalom before a huge turn around. Alot of people missed it. The course was wide and fast. Fastest time of the day was a 45 second and slowest being a 107 second. My best was a 62. I dont think I did all that bad but the announcer just let me have it the whole time. I got classics like these:

#777 09 um... Yaris, Really? okay then.

The Yaris is a car not on my Auto X list, they look like they are walking down the track... waste of time really.

Oh! we have a spin, don't bother flagging he won't be an issue, He wont get there any time soon.

And my personal Fav!

A car that slow should never be off course.

Close Tie: "What an Ugly little car"

Otherwise it was fun driving and I had a good time working in the grid. It wasnt my first AutoX but my first in the yaris. Just unfortunate that the guys were such jerks.

RHDVIPbB
10-12-2009, 09:17 PM
haha, sounds like our announcers, but our region is very close and we all joke on each other until the racing starts. Some get picked on depending on comments they make at the monthly meets/dinner. Just let your driving do the talking and it usually shuts them up after you get used to it.

Keith Tinari
10-12-2009, 09:22 PM
I was okay with it for the most part, I run with a crew of 450+ EVOs and STi. I hear it quite alot. But he got down right rude. And that was unprofessional.

YAR1S
10-12-2009, 09:37 PM
aww that sucks! I watched an autox and the announcer was an ass too.... oh well, just have fun and show them what the yaris is capable of.

ozmdd
10-12-2009, 10:08 PM
I know our announcers poke a lot of fun, but its always good-natured, and they're calling a lot of attention to the fact that Yarii are on the rise. Just get some YW stickers and maybe put a few flyers under your wipers while you work!
I even heard one of the STS miata guy's wife tell him she wanted a Yaris after watching mine.
We're a new thing, and Americans suck at dealing with change, but anyone who knows sh** about autoX knows that low-weight and handling beat HP every time. They probably said the same thing about Miata's and CRX's back in the day, but look how that worked-out. :thumbup:

Yaris-x
10-13-2009, 08:29 PM
It does sound pretty overboard but usually I am the announcer and do poke fun but it is good natured fun like calling a Subaru SVX a eagle talon to get under his skin but I get it back when I run and when I'm not announcing I hear alot of "that car is not faster than a yaris" when they run slower than me its just fun

justjesus
10-14-2009, 08:09 PM
#777 09 um... Yaris, Really? okay then.

Otherwise it was fun driving and I had a good time working in the grid. It wasnt my first AutoX but my first in the yaris. Just unfortunate that the guys were such jerks.

That's just tooooo funny. LMAO at all of those! Me and LTNoogie know the feeling!
We have also gotten, "is that a hybrid?" hehe.

Some day...they won't be laughing. :evil:

Tamago
10-14-2009, 08:16 PM
i recollect a smart remark being made about my xA as i pulled up to the start gate at an autocross once.. when i tripped the finish lights at the end i heard the announcer say "oh"............."well that car just put two seconds on so-and-so"............

don't let the heckling get to you. your first time autocrossing will always suck (my first time autocrossing back in my corolla days, i was O/C on every single run) but don't get bent out of shape. stick it out!

Keith Tinari
10-14-2009, 08:46 PM
I quick vid, Just of the first little bit. I spun too hard off the line that time. I was trying to feel out the tires that run. I'm very happy with how flat it stayed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJe973Mtjww

Tamago
10-14-2009, 08:51 PM
I quick vid, Just of the first little bit. I spun too hard off the line that time. I was trying to feel out the tires that run. I'm very happy with how flat it stayed.

www.youtube.com/salloroc20

check the MR2 video. i've autocrossed for years, and that had to have been the worst run i've had in a very long time. we all have our off-days.. just keep going.

Keith Tinari
10-14-2009, 09:15 PM
www.youtube.com/salloroc20 (http://www.youtube.com/salloroc20)

check the MR2 video. i've autocrossed for years, and that had to have been the worst run i've had in a very long time. we all have our off-days.. just keep going.

Wow! that course was huge! Did you hit 3rd there? I saw it was a little loose on the end but not that bad!

kngrsll
10-14-2009, 09:38 PM
we got the same shit one time... my co driver and i were top 20 pax which was good enough to qualify for the pro class and we were 1 and 2 in the ST class. no one talked shit after that.

its worse at track events! pass a few corvettes on slicks, and you get peoples attention.

Tamago
10-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Wow! that course was huge! Did you hit 3rd there? I saw it was a little loose on the end but not that bad!

iirc i stayed in second gear. in the STI though, i was in third most of the time. yaris too IIRC.

that's the short practice course. on "race" day each run is over a mile long. it's an old runway :D

Loren
10-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Don't take it personally. Nothing more boring than an announcer who just blandly calls times over the PA. Gotta have a little fun and stir up some shit. Been there, done that.

Your only recourse is to continue autocrossing, get better, and make them eat their words!

A properly setup Yaris in the hands of a good driver can embarrass a lot of people in a lot of supposedly faster cars. Hell, I even beat MYSELF today! I was co-driving with a newb in a Miata. (stock, worn out shocks, no performance alignment, mediocre tires) Took ONE run in my Yaris and beat my runs in the Miata by over a second.

TheRealEnth
10-19-2009, 11:09 AM
yeah, just keep showing up to every autox and show them you aren't a scrub ;D

Tamago
10-19-2009, 11:26 AM
btw, who was the guy with the silver MR2 in the background of your video, keith?

mikebdubsuby
10-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Haha wow they gave you a pretty hard time. I went to an auto x event in Vegas just to watch, I wasn't there for the event, I just noticed it going on and wanted to check it out. I talked to the announcer and the people who ran it for a while and they all seemed pretty cool over there and non judgemental.

ozmdd
10-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Don't take it personally. Nothing more boring than an announcer who just blandly calls times over the PA. Gotta have a little fun and stir up some shit. Been there, done that.

Your only recourse is to continue autocrossing, get better, and make them eat their words!

A properly setup Yaris in the hands of a good driver can embarrass a lot of people in a lot of supposedly faster cars. Hell, I even beat MYSELF today! I was co-driving with a newb in a Miata. (stock, worn out shocks, no performance alignment, mediocre tires) Took ONE run in my Yaris and beat my runs in the Miata by over a second.

Yup, keep at it and you'll get to beat some folks down the road. Its even mroe fun in a Yaris. I ran faster than several of the S2000's at their club autoX event last week, and someone sent me some postings from their forum about how they might have to commit Harey Cary after losing to a Yaris. One guy was convinced that my car had to be on nitrous or a swapped motor. :w00t:
Now that's payback. :respekt:

Lazerdot
10-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Mike I thought you had a turbocompoundturbinedirectdriveCVThybriddeisel under the hood. No wonder you beat um....

lilredrocket
10-21-2009, 10:56 AM
^Haha

ozmdd
10-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Mike I thought you had a turbocompoundturbinedirectdriveCVThybriddeisel under the hood. No wonder you beat um....

Ssshhhh!! :mad:

LtNoogie
10-21-2009, 11:12 PM
LOL, at my last auto-x, they kept calling JustJesus by the wrong name all three runs.

justjesus
10-22-2009, 08:40 PM
^^ Jason Gamble! LOL

Noogie! ! where have you been?!?!

Keith Tinari
10-23-2009, 08:26 AM
btw, who was the guy with the silver MR2 in the background of your video, keith?

I dunno, he wasn't very social. He did keep revving his car while he was in grid for no reason while it idled for say i dunno 30 minutes. That got irratating. He was eating cones for breakfast.

Tamago
10-23-2009, 10:22 AM
I dunno, he wasn't very social. He did keep revving his car while he was in grid for no reason while it idled for say i dunno 30 minutes. That got irratating. He was eating cones for breakfast.

i think i've found out partially why you'll never fit in at autocross :laugh:

HTM Yaris
11-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Don't worry , after a while people will get used to getting beat by a Yaris .

Loren
11-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Don't worry , after a while people will get used to getting beat by a Yaris .
They get used to it, but they never quit bitching about it. I'm okay with that. :tongue:

Morgan
11-03-2009, 10:00 PM
yeah I was laughed at more than any of you guys... I started in my region in HS on street tires, stock suspension:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/faux_leopard/Feb%20Autox/IMG_0148.jpg

and now... mostly people leave me alone:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/faux_leopard/yaris%20pictures/IMG_0400.jpg

but dealing with being in a yaris (and being a girl) in a mostly rwd dominated (and male dominated) motorsport was fun to compete in and have the crowd opinion change over the course of the last 2 years. I have people coming up to me in Panama City (~2 hours away from the event site) and ask me if I have some crazy high HP or if I have <insert random engine> and all kinds of rumors about "there's no way she's that fast."

I'm sure the supercharger in most people's minds = 98723423hp but I'd be lucky to press 150 on the dyno, the clout is nice and it sure beats being laughed at, so stick with it and just ignore them, they will be regretting it when you hand it to them in your yaris :smile:

Tamago
11-04-2009, 07:18 AM
i spy race rubber from me!!! :D :D

Yaris-x
11-04-2009, 07:50 AM
you trailer your yaris in?

Keith Tinari
11-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Found two pix of my car

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2688/4016371578_5572620f7e.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2725/4016372932_586c2a0dda.jpg

Morgan
11-05-2009, 09:38 PM
you trailer your yaris in?

not really but the picture looked bad ass, imho...

I do pack the yaris full of stuff for each event since race tires (thanks tamago :wink:) don't make such great highway tires

chongopants
11-05-2009, 10:29 PM
where do i get into autoX? It looks fun, I am in Houston...

Loren
11-08-2009, 10:54 PM
You should have no problem at all finding an autocross in the Houston area:
http://tinyurl.com/yzluf2t :wink:

chongopants
11-09-2009, 08:11 AM
yeah cute lmgtfy.com, i know the people that made it... a bit insulting you would post that... anyways anyone with any REAL information that would like to really help I appreciate it.

Thanks,

ozmdd
11-09-2009, 10:17 AM
yeah cute lmgtfy.com, i know the people that made it... a bit insulting you would post that... anyways anyone with any REAL information that would like to really help I appreciate it.

Thanks,

WTF are you talking about? Lets take advantage of the quote feature, so the rest of us are in on your indignation. :wink:

chongopants
11-09-2009, 10:28 AM
WTF are you talking about? Lets take advantage of the quote feature, so the rest of us are in on your indignation. :wink:

Sure, I would love to use the quote feature thanks, read the previous post and you will understand...

do you know what a tinyurl even is? apparently not...:wink:

chongopants
11-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Here is an example of proper use of lmgtfy.com

http://tinyurl.com/aq7ppf

Tamago
11-09-2009, 10:34 AM

Thanks,

not insulting at all.

google is the bomb, use it.

or maybe ask jeeves (nicely) is more your speed?

Loren
11-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Sorry, dude, didn't mean to offend. Search is always the best answer, though. If you'd Googled, you would have answered your question of where to get into autocross in the Houston area. You could have also searched this forum and found a recent thread about Houston autocross.

If you want spoon-feeding, maybe you should start a new thread and ask more specific questions?

chongopants
11-09-2009, 10:46 AM
I did start a thread, and I did google it... its on this forum... lol...

I also talked to the head of the Houston SCCA, and even he couldn't give me a SOLID answer.... he said "show up and they might let you in a lower class", but I want to know the real rules so someone can't get pissy and decide to take me out for some small thing... I downloaded the rulebook and I have been reading it, but its very dry and I have a short attention span.

Tamago
11-09-2009, 10:47 AM
les so someone can't get pissy and decide to take me out for some small thing... I downloaded the rulebook and I have been reading it, but its very dry and I have a short attention span.

that sounds VERY MUCH like YOUR problem.

what do you want to run, and in what class?

chongopants
11-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Yup it sure is, and thats why I was hoping that the people here would have enough tact to help me out nicely... I will leave you guys alone, and enjoy.. unsubscribed.

Tamago
11-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Yup it sure is, and thats why I was hoping that the people here would have enough tact to help me out nicely... I will leave you guys alone, and enjoy.. unsubscribed.

why not PM me with your mod list, and i'll tell you what class you belong in.

?

i'm willing to help, just don't be a whiny princess about it :laugh:

Yaris-x
11-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I know this isn't my fight but we don't need people like that on this forum there was no insulting comment toward anybody if somebody asked me I would have given the same answer how else is a person in a different part of the country supposed to know what auto-x events are available...grrrrrrrr....that gets me so worked up

yaris2010RS
11-17-2009, 07:59 PM
okay, i'm new to the yaris and i have a question, all my friends are talking alot of smack how it only has 106 HP its shit, y did i get it. so now was is the averae 1/4 mile time for a bone stock yaris? and i know it kicks ass in parking and in everyday street racing car feel, it feels bad ass, it just needs something so it dont sound like my grandma's stitching machine, lol. i have yet to test it out but i can almost bet the yaris will beat a civic or an integera anyday.....thoughts?

Loren
11-18-2009, 01:46 AM
.....thoughts?
I think you should start your own thread, as what you're asking has nothing to do with THIS one.

ozmdd
11-18-2009, 04:31 PM
I know this isn't my fight but we don't need people like that on this forum there was no insulting comment toward anybody if somebody asked me I would have given the same answer how else is a person in a different part of the country supposed to know what auto-x events are available...grrrrrrrr....that gets me so worked up

I agree in general, but you've got to admit that chongopants isn't very tactful himself, and makes some pretty rude postings, so there is a bit of history. Still, "agreed" that it'd be better to ignore a post rather than add fuel to the fire.

Also, Tamago will always find a way to give-out awesome information and piss you off at the same time. :evil:

alch3miss
11-18-2009, 05:32 PM
I've auto x'd before, and I managed to stay competitive in my novice class. Its about ones enjoyment of ones car as opposed to what other people think imo. I have the URL to my competitions results. We had 3 Yaris's if you go towards the bottom in the Novice class. https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/files/NNJRSCCA/5232009_fin.htm

alch3miss
11-18-2009, 08:46 PM
okay, i'm new to the yaris and i have a question, all my friends are talking alot of smack how it only has 106 HP its shit, y did i get it. so now was is the averae 1/4 mile time for a bone stock yaris? and i know it kicks ass in parking and in everyday street racing car feel, it feels bad ass, it just needs something so it dont sound like my grandma's stitching machine, lol. i have yet to test it out but i can almost bet the yaris will beat a civic or an integera anyday.....thoughts?

I run a 16.6 1/4 mile, AEM CAI, 14 lb oz wheels x4, g force a/s tires, complete rear seat removal, my tein suspension helps create better downforce, and CF trunk. My cousins stock 2001 Integra runs a 16.9 1/4 mile time.

ozmdd
11-19-2009, 10:28 AM
I've auto x'd before, and I managed to stay competitive in my novice class. Its about ones enjoyment of ones car as opposed to what other people think imo. I have the URL to my competitions results. We had 3 Yaris's if you go towards the bottom in the Novice class. https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/files/NNJRSCCA/5232009_fin.htm

Cool! I took 2nd in the Novice class this season, and was winning events towards the end of the season with my new wheels and Kumho XS tires on a much-improved alignment that wasn't there at the start of the season. The Yaris can be a terrific autox car - maybe not class-leading at NATS - but you MUST get a rear sway bar and some negative camber up front. At the very least, get the camber done, as the stock settings will have you plowing on every corner. It was amazing what the alignment did for this car. It appears the TRD rear sway bar is stock-legal as far as SCCA is concerned, so I'd go for it. With those 2 changes and some decent tires, you should be able to be super-competitive locally, as the quoted post and others have shown.

Tamago
11-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Also, Tamago will always find a way to give-out awesome information and piss you off at the same time. :evil:

what this man says is true ;). information comes at great cost!!:laugh:

alch3miss
11-20-2009, 02:38 AM
How I had a Porshe Cayman S, an s2k, 330i and a g35 in my class I really dont know