PDA

View Full Version : SCCA Classing Worksheet

ozmdd
10-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Since there are so many misconceptions about SCCA classing for Autocross, I thought I'd post this handy-dandy worksheet. Note that this doesn't include the upcoming STR class.
http://autocross.com/er/carmodandclassification.pdf

lilredrocket
10-12-2009, 11:21 PM
I can't see it but it may just be my computer

ozmdd
10-12-2009, 11:37 PM
do you have adobe reader?

lilredrocket
10-13-2009, 01:23 AM
Yep

Tamago
10-13-2009, 07:13 AM
i don't see it either.

ozmdd
10-13-2009, 09:37 PM
OK. I'll try a different method. It shows up for me.

ozmdd
10-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Just hit this link:

http://autocross.com/er/carmodandclassification.pdf

Tamago
10-14-2009, 11:22 AM
mspaint to the rescue

http://i34.tinypic.com/jacgoy.jpg

justjesus
11-05-2009, 05:30 PM
NICE WORKSHEET! except, that it makes me cry!

ahh geez. can't do much to the yaris to keep it in HS. My CRX looks to be a knife in a gun fight.
Oh dear. Time to boost.

Tamago
11-05-2009, 05:33 PM
NICE WORKSHEET! except, that it makes me cry!

ahh geez. can't do much to the yaris to keep it in HS. My CRX looks to be a knife in a gun fight.
Oh dear. Time to boost.

that's the last thing you need to do, if you want to be quick and competitive at autocross.

kngrsll
11-05-2009, 06:24 PM
yeah, agreed. if you want to be competitive and not spend alot of money in a Yaris locally, i would try ST 1st. you can do most bolt ons and stay legal and you dont need to buy slicks. it wont be competitive nationally, but locally, it could do alright.

if you really feel like spending money, you can bump up to FSP. then you need biiig slicks, an LSD at a minimum.

if you really hate a having any sort of bank account, you can try SM and do everything above with a turbo or supercharger, or both.

i like to pick a class that will keep my from spending alot of money (ie not slicks, not engine mods lol.) but to each their own.

Morgan
11-05-2009, 06:33 PM
totally stealing this, thanks!

kngrsll
11-05-2009, 07:54 PM
totally stealing this, thanks!

lol, you are the epitomy of my last post... supercharger AND slicks :p

Morgan
11-05-2009, 08:46 PM
lol, you are the epitomy of my last post... supercharger AND slicks :p
you are absolutely right, pick a class - shoot for that. Changing classes is EXPENSIVE, trust me on this!

Don't get beaten down by who you beat/who is beating you drama, just go to have fun, spend what your budget allows and for god sakes... have fun!

I have slicks and a supercharger; if I could do it again, I'd go with the tires and move into FSP and save myself $3000...

I feel like a broken record, but the yaris can be surprising and quick, but no matter what, it will never be fast at autox - its just not built for it.

ozmdd
11-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Your CRX is one of the best STS platforms out there!!

As far as being fast at autox, its really 90% driver until you get up to the higher regional levels. When you drive so well that you can't possibly get any faster times out of your CRX/Yaris/whatever, THEN its time to think about buying a "serious" car or major upgrades.
Besides tires, anything you can do to your car can be made pointless by a better driver in an inferior car. But if you are the better driver, its a lot more fun. The best day of my racing life involved turning faster laps than 2 S2000's and a Vette at a Time Trial. :)

justjesus
11-06-2009, 01:36 PM
yeah, agreed.... i would try ST 1st.... it wont be competitive nationally, but locally, it could do alright.

if you really hate a having any sort of bank account, you can try SM and do everything above with a turbo or supercharger, or both.

i like to pick a class that will keep my from spending alot of money (ie not slicks, not engine mods lol.) but to each their own.

YIKES. ST is what I would stear clear from! Those civic hatchbacks kick some serious butt!
SM is where the tech guy said I should be, due to my mods. More on that later.

you are absolutely right, pick a class - shoot for that. Changing classes is EXPENSIVE, trust me on this!

Don't get beaten down by who you beat/who is beating you drama, just go to have fun, spend what your budget allows and for god sakes... have fun!

I feel like a broken record, but the yaris can be surprising and quick, but no matter what, it will never be fast at autox - its just not built for it.

haha. definitely looking at this just for fun! And I'm not getting beat down. Me and Noogie just laugh it off. It's all in fun.

Your CRX is one of the best STS platforms out there!!
... THEN its time to think about buying a "serious" car or major upgrades.
... The best day of my racing life involved turning faster laps than 2 S2000's and a Vette at a Time Trial. :)

I thought I belonged in STS, but, my B16A engine swap puts me in SM, per the tech guy. Looking at the cars in that class, I know I won't be competitive. BUT, this is all for fun.

The main reason I'm considering boost, is, well...I've been planning on boosting my CRX for some time. So that's the reason I was thinking of boost and switching classes to SM. My suspension is FAR from sorted. I had to see how well it did, prior to making my mods. And mostly, these were gonna be mods I'd be doing anyway :wink:
SOOOO, I think I'll be leaving the Yaris fairly stock for now, and eventually improve the CRX and switch classes. All in the name of fun!

Thanks for all your input guys, and young lady :wink:.
For comparison sake, check out the times from that one event. I'm listed as, well, "Jesus" hehe
https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/files/CSCC%20SOLO/cscc082309_fin.htm#STS

justjesus
11-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Oh wow. Looking at that time sheet again, I noticed the ST civic hatchback guys are running with, if not better, than the SM guys!

chongopants
11-07-2009, 05:00 PM
so if I am going for SM, with a pretty much stock car I am gonna get PWN'ed right? B/C that is what I would have to do.

ozmdd
11-08-2009, 08:49 PM
so if I am going for SM, with a pretty much stock car I am gonna get PWN'ed right? B/C that is what I would have to do.

Yes, you will get owned, and then some. At the same time, you can run in a "tire" class and probably be somewhat competitive. Honestly, until you get some experience in autox, it really won't matter what class you are in.

Also, many clubs have a "novice" class where you can drive any type of car and be indexed against the other novices based on your car class, but everyone is a novice. Great class for experience and not getting owned by experienced drivers, who can probably outdrive most newbies in a Yugo. :)

I just completed a season in novice, and I'm glad I did. If you really decide you are a killer driver and want to compete in Autox beyond the local events, then worry about getting your car/class worked-out to be competitive.

Morgan
11-08-2009, 08:52 PM
....but yes removing the backseat does put you in SM.

If you're in SM, add a supercharger/turbo and some slicks! It will be way fun - I'll sell you mine cheap! :wink:

Jason@SportsCar
11-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Just a few updates... As of 1-1-09 the STX wheel and tire allowances were changed for 2wd cars. 9" wide wheels and up to 265mm tires. Also the STU tire width was increased for 2wd, to 285mm.

Then there is the obvious item missing, cat-back exhaust is legal in all classes.

Oh, and for you STX/U guys... Don't rush out and buy a clutch and flywheel based on this list. Not legal.

mspaint to the rescue

http://i34.tinypic.com/jacgoy.jpg

echosqwat
11-15-2009, 11:45 PM
While Yaris isnt much of an AX platform how about FSP? I think that would be decent class for well sorted Yaris - probably out gunned in HP but weight is decent. SM would be tough class in Yaris unless your went all out with 250 + HP turbo motor and lots of suspension work and huge slicks.

Its too bad Toyota doesnt offer a sports suspension package on this car. Little stiffer/lower spring the Yaris would be decent in Stock class due to its low weight.