PDA

View Full Version : SRS Light Stays on After Stereo Install

envoy
10-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Hi all!

Thanks a lot to your help i just finished installing a 9 speaker (4 tweeter, 4 mid + 1 sub) speaker system into a Liftback. Everything sounds great!

But the one problem is now my SRS light stays on (the one right under the speedometer). We did remove the "40" back seat, on the right side and put the sub there. We also did put 2 crossovers and a large amp under the passenger front seat. We also did remove the two seat belts harnessed on the right hand side, but nothing electrical was attached to them so i dont think this was it.

I thought maybe voltage issues would cause this SRS light problem (due to two amps stealing power), but it stays on even when the radio is off.

Any ideas?

I will post pics of my install later this week when i am finished with some cosmetic stuff.

Oh, also, do you think something like this would void the dealer from helping me with the safety system under warranty?

Thanks!

Bones
10-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Check if any wires under the carpet (where you installed the amps) got pinched or a screw went through any wires? If you did screw down the amp on the floor board, check underneath the car make sure the screws didnt hit anything.

punch
10-22-2006, 05:42 PM
Hi all!

Thanks a lot to your help i just finished installing a 9 speaker (4 tweeter, 4 mid + 1 sub) speaker system into a Liftback. Everything sounds great!

But the one problem is now my SRS light stays on (the one right under the speedometer). We did remove the "40" back seat, on the right side and put the sub there. We also did put 2 crossovers and a large amp under the passenger front seat. We also did remove the two seat belts harnessed on the right hand side, but nothing electrical was attached to them so i dont think this was it.

I thought maybe voltage issues would cause this SRS light problem (due to two amps stealing power), but it stays on even when the radio is off.

Any ideas?

I will post pics of my install later this week when i am finished with some cosmetic stuff.

Oh, also, do you think something like this would void the dealer from helping me with the safety system under warranty?

Thanks!

i also agree, check under that front seat there are many sensors in the seats for the airbags...

envoy
10-22-2006, 06:17 PM
I think it has to be there too I just havnt found it yet.

I didnt bolt the amps down just placed some velcro unto the bottom of the amp and it then stuck well to the carpetting.

nick1983
10-22-2006, 09:39 PM
:needpics:

punch
10-23-2006, 05:45 PM
I think it has to be there too I just havnt found it yet.

I didnt bolt the amps down just placed some velcro unto the bottom of the amp and it then stuck well to the carpetting.

I would look under the seat is your amp hitting the bottom of the seat? there are many sensors on the bottom of the seat..

also you mention removing the seat belt harness's, there is a sensor near the door frame for them

envoy
10-23-2006, 08:11 PM
ya I did remove two of the rear harnesses on the right (not the front passanger seat) but nothing electrical was unplugged and I drove it since then without this light staying on. Hmm, ill play with the seat sensors tonite and let you know if i find anything.

funkstrong
11-01-2006, 12:07 AM
I have that same problem. Did you by chance disconnect the negative terminal of the battery when you were working on the car?

atebit
11-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Any resolution on this yet?

funkstrong
11-06-2006, 12:11 AM
I fixed this problem last night. I took off the negative terminal from the battery, waited a few minutes (90 seconds at least). Then I unplugged and plugged back in the clip for the airbag behind the glove box. Put the terminal back on, started the car and the airbag light was off. Not sure if this is the fix-all solution, but it worked for me!

atebit
11-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Two questions: If I "take down" the glovebox (as described in the owners manual to change the (apparently non-existent) cabin air filter), can I see the clip on the airbag you describe?

Also, after following this procedure, did the SRS light come on nomally then go off as you started the car, or didn't it come on at all when you started?

I fixed this problem last night. I took off the negative terminal from the battery, waited a few minutes (90 seconds at least). Then I unplugged and plugged back in the clip for the airbag behind the glove box. Put the terminal back on, started the car and the airbag light was off. Not sure if this is the fix-all solution, but it worked for me!

envoy
11-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Yes, if you take down the glovebox the clip in the top left one I think. Very easy to remove. However, I tried this and my light didnt go off. Hmmm.....

funkstrong
11-06-2006, 09:59 PM
It was on briefly when the car was started, then it went off.