PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Install

barryware
10-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Howdy.. I have read a few posts and I thought there was a picture of the back of a stock Yaris stereo which I can't find.

I plan on installing a Pioneer DEH-P4800MP deck. I have ordered a dash install kit along with a wire harness. I need a little help from those of you who have already replaced your radio.

What else will I need? I ask so I am prepared to keep the trips to radio shack down to a minimum while installing and I really don't want to tear the car apart to look and put it back together again while I gather my components.

Do I need an adapter for the antenna on the car to the new radio? I don't believe that the wire harness comes with an adapter for the aux connection. The replacement radio has provisions for an aux input. Actually two, one is a 1/8" stereo plug and the other are RCA inputs. What would I need for this?

I am happy with the stock radio but I want to free up one of the bays for some other stuff. Is there a market for the stock radio?

Thanks for the help and advice.

Violin
10-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Photos: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556&page=2

Is there a market for the stock radio?

Check eBay. There are hundreds of OEM radios with very few bids. You might be able to sell yours. I elected to just give mine away to a forum member for shipping costs rather than have to pay an eBay listing fee for nothing or next to it.

bigsky2
10-23-2006, 05:48 PM
You have most of the required components to intall your stereo.

I assume you already have the following (for connecting the vehicle harness to the head unit harness) ?
1) Solder Iron + Solder, Heat Shrink
2) or alternatively, Butt Connectors and Crimper Tool if you don't have a soldering iron

I installed a Pioneer on my Yaris before and the antenna wire from the Yaris fit into the Pioneer without the need for an adapter.

For the AUX connection, you have two options:

1) RCA Plugs (to the Pioneer's Auxilary RCA input jacks) - Stereo Mini Plug on the other end
-- This is your basic and most common AUX input. Connect the stereo mini plug to your desired device like iPOD, other MP3 player, etc. You will control the device directly, meaning you change songs on your iPOD, not the device.

2) Auxilary cable (to the Pioneer, usually fits into the CD Changer jack) - Stereo Mini Plug or other plug on the end
-- This is used for specific devices, like iPODS, or CD Changers. I guess this is an enhanced AUX Input, as your head unit may allow you to control the device from the head unit directly. So you'd shuffle through your songs and playlists from the head unit, not the deck.

You might have some luck selling the stock radio on the classifieds.
I put my old 6CD MP3 changer in my girlfriend's Celica and it was a snap :wink:

barryware
10-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks Guys (or Gals)... I have everything on order but it is not here yet. I don't want to mess with the factory wiring. I did purchase a wiring harness to connect to the wiring harness that comes with the deck to the harness on the car. I was a bit concerned as to the aux input. I have a stand alone XM receiver that I currently have connected to the aux jack in the center console. It is the other end that connects to the radio I am thinking about. In the pics from the link you posted (thanks), I see a plug that goes into the radio that has only four wires, two green and two red... Are these the connections for the aux input? The greens look like they are going to the same terminal and the two reds are separate. The wiring diagram for the car shows that the aux connection should be shielded... They don't look shielded in the pic.
Once I have it apart, I can ring out the connections and figure it out. Like I said, I want to be prepared to complete the task without having to run for parts and supplies during the install.

Thanks for all the help. :smile:

johnnyfive
10-23-2006, 11:25 PM
to keep your factory aux plug you will need to make a custom adaptor from the four wires you mentiond, to either of your inputs on your new deck.