PDA

View Full Version : BEWARE of Konig Helium (Pic & Video) !!

SimmZ
10-23-2006, 07:31 PM
I don't want to start a debate, but I just want to warn your seriously about the Konig Helium wheels. Even if you don't drive you car heavily or do race, the Konig Helium are VERRRRRY easy to broke even with no "low-profile" tires. They may be VERY dangerous! I've always loved these wheels, but this is before watching that video and looking at this picture!

The main problem of the Konig Helium is the material used to build the wheel. Because they want to do a very cheap priced and very light weight wheels, they don't use light high-quality alloys because it's too much expensive. They just design a wheels with a very thin design and use some LOW DENSITY alloys who it light, but break as easy as glass!

Here's the picture to begin, let's notice this is not a low-profile tire... :

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/BlackBalt/heliumcrack1.jpg

Here's the video :

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/AX4Fi9PZ?sk=efc3d7d7410a2e212412ca2f41436652

Unfortunately, there's PLENTY of horror story about the Konig Helium all over the web...

ChinoCharles
10-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Pictures don't lie...

bigsky2
10-23-2006, 07:50 PM
I've read about this before, and I've seen the exact same photos.

Wheels are wear goods after all, so they will break no matter what. I'm not sure how these particular Konig Heliums cracked, and under what circumstances.

Repeated loads and unloads can create small cracks we cannot see, different levels of side loads depending on the vehicle, and other factors can contribute to cracks that end up like this. Most of the broken Konig stories are from people who used them for auto-x.

Konig has issued a statement before, stating that they will replace any broken or cracked wheel if it is found that they were damaged due to original defect.

I'm not terribly worried about this as horror stories usually stick out more than positive reviews when you are doing your research.
But again, I stress, wheels are WEAR GOODS. If they wanna break then they will!

OK Yaris
10-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Unfortunately, there's PLENTY of horror story about the Konig Helium all over the web...

Unfortunately, I only found one thread on a Honda forum...........

hasher22
10-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Obviously if something is really cheap its obviously low quality.

SimmZ
10-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Right. The price of the Konig Helium may be very attractive, but how they can offer a very cheap and light weight product? By using the "crappiest" material to build thier wheels...

You can buy many others cheap priced wheels, like BSA, IKON/ICON or Eagle-Alloys brands. They all build very cheap priced wheels. They are not light weight, but at least they are safe and they will not kill yourself on the road.

SimmZ
10-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Unfortunately, I only found one thread on a Honda forum...........

That's probably because you don't know where to look at. The picture of the bronze Helium are coming from a Mazda owners forum but I have to admit I don't know where the video are coming from.

SimmZ
10-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Pictures don't lie...

You speak the truth!! :thumbsup:

Violin
10-23-2006, 09:24 PM
What "video"? I only saw a slideshow.

Looks like a pretty good gouge behind the one spoke. What could have caused that?!

mhero
10-23-2006, 11:09 PM
I am wondering how this rim got cracked!!

mine wasn't cracked like that .. but ....
see for yourself; this was after my Yaris ran
over a big hole on the road @ speed 40-50 km/hr

C2AUTOSPL
10-23-2006, 11:32 PM
ack that looks scary...

bigsky2
10-23-2006, 11:55 PM
ack that looks scary...

I'm calling you if they crack on me :wink:

Ric n Sov's Vitz RS
10-24-2006, 02:35 AM
I have personally seen wheels like that come into my friends shop after a little drunk driving in a echo hatch here in toronto.... I was told that it just tapped the curb.. But 2 of them looked just like that picture.

-Rick

skc
10-24-2006, 02:52 AM
damn.. thats scary..
i had heliums on my last car and had no problem
glad i sold the rim tho..
u get what u pay for..

SimmZ
10-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Yes that's true. You get what you pay for... while others light weights wheels cost around 200$ a wheel, the Konig Helium who are light weight cost 90$ a wheel... it doesn't make sense for me.

In fact, the low density alloy process is easy to understand; you have many empty particles in the alloy structure (it's like a Gruyere cheese!), this result in a light weight structure, but easy to break as glass.

eco
10-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Thats why I got rims that look like they can handle alot of pressure.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n54/ecooce/P1110013.jpg

slvryaris
10-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Ahhh yes and thats why I hate low profile tires. I liked the little song that played with the video. It made me want to go get a gun and shoot myself. Looks like someone had too much time on their hands. All he had to do was post some pics and say what happened. The guy probably took it off a jump or something :eek:

bigsky2
10-30-2006, 06:26 PM
If you're going to ask people to avoid a product, at least present some solid reasons.

Pictures are useless without a story.

hasher22
10-30-2006, 07:20 PM
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n54/ecooce/P1110013.jpg

me like ur rims....reminds me of xena

Violin
10-30-2006, 08:29 PM
This part makes me think they might have abused them a bit:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/rjenkie/konig.jpg

Lafiro
10-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Hmm wow, how is it that it does not completely break on lets say a sharp enough turn? Thats very scary.

captainzerocool
11-08-2006, 03:57 AM
This part makes me think they might have abused them a bit:

I think that is just the sticky left from wheel balancing.

echo_hatch
11-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Thats a shame. I guess if you want light weight wheels you should stick to wheels that are made from forged aluminum. They cost more but the difference is in the quality. I have Centerline Storms which are made from forged billet aluminum... they cost me alot but I know the quality and strength are there. My wheels are 17x7 and they weigh approx. 14lbs each.

Ed

riceboy
11-08-2006, 09:29 AM
I think that is just the sticky left from wheel balancing.

+1

Violin
11-08-2006, 11:19 AM
prolly right.

argylesocks
11-08-2006, 01:55 PM
ugh. that song!! .... ugh.
that was quite possibly the gayest slide show i have ever seen.

Black Yaris
11-08-2006, 02:51 PM

not the brightest thing to do there buddy, you are actually supposed to lower your air pressure the larger wheel you go with... and I used to live in Jonesboro, the roads in Atlanta area are nice, no real need to worry about pot holes, just take it easy on some of those curbs

raz0rbladez909
11-10-2006, 12:31 PM
guess thats what happens when you buy Volk ce28 knockoffs the real deal is forged thats why they are more pricey

Billstein
11-10-2006, 01:44 PM
I broke a 18" making a left and running over a manhole cover.
Ok I was doing about 40ish and the lid was raised a bit.
They did handle great. I down sized to 17s.
That was seven years ago,Im sure
rims are much stronger today.

Russelt3hPirate
11-10-2006, 06:10 PM
i jumped a curb sideways at 65 in my wrx with a set of Prodrive P1s and they didn't fall apart, hell they still held air!

Wheels are not suppose to fall apart! I don't care how cheap they are, they aren't suppose to fall apart.

the_saint
11-10-2006, 07:33 PM
I broke a 18" making a left and running over a manhole cover.
Ok I was doing about 40ish and the lid was raised a bit.
They did handle great. I down sized to 17s.
That was seven years ago,Im sure
rims are much stronger today.
Doubt it. Cheap rims have probably gotten cheaper (in terms of quality) over the last few years. The 'custom' wheel market has continued to grow and as a result all kinds of no-name knock off wheel brands have been popping up. Most of the knock offs are probably made by the same manufaturer...in some basement in China.

Russelt3hPirate
11-11-2006, 09:59 AM
even the super over priced HREs and iForged wheels are terrible quality.

HREs are banned at many tracks in the US b/c they have been known to fall apart.

kngrsll
11-11-2006, 01:10 PM
i've heard that, and its about the most expensive wheel you can buy. i've never heard of volks breaking, but i have heard of them getting bent. doh! SSR and BBS are two good wheel companies as well.

raz0rbladez909
11-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Breaking and bending are two completely different things, you can repair a bent wheel, a broken wheel however good luck. wheels like anything else that goes on your car, we'll you get what you pay for. If you want to go cheap on something that is pretty much keeping your life in jeopardy i'd be willing to pay a pretty penny, not on all this knockoff crap that is going around. Volk's, Work Wheels, Yokohama Advan, SSR, Enkei, etc. etc. are all higher priced because they make quality, don't go cheap on something that you must rely on every day of the week to function properly, just because its a cheap car doesnt mean you have to put cheap, poor made parts on it

spkrman
11-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Wheels are not suppose to fall apart! I don't care how cheap they are, they aren't suppose to fall apart.

AMEN!

PhasedWalker
07-17-2009, 03:56 AM
Huh notice this on google search, anyways i've got a set of heliums on my old car before for 2+ years. It's scratched up and all but no structure damage, end up sold it for a good price too maybe is just old batchs!;)

yarisugi
07-17-2009, 05:21 AM
What country to Konigs originate from?

I'm a devout "Made in Japan" rim.

Bob Dog
07-17-2009, 06:41 AM
I have heard about negative things about heliums on both a honda site and a minicooper site

schleppy
07-17-2009, 08:29 AM
I have a few thousand miles on mine and so far so good...

Treyz
07-17-2009, 08:41 AM
1) Way to bring a thread from the grave, lol

2) They are made here on Long Island. Their headquarters is in Nassau County.

3) They have said the same about ROTAS

ChinoCharles
07-17-2009, 09:42 AM
I didn't know that Treyz! Cool, I like Konig better now. Born in the USA.

Erm, I've got at least 25K on mine and they still look brand new. Black finishes FTW lol.

Bob Dog
07-17-2009, 11:11 AM
I've got Konig wheels myself, just not helium: cheap + lightweight + thin spokes = fragile

Treyz
07-17-2009, 11:37 AM
People take a budget priced cast wheel set to track day and abuse the piss out of them, and then are shocked when one cracks...

When you pay $90 per wheel for instance, versus $600 a piece forged Volks, there is going to be a big difference in strength...

Cheers
Forged = :drool:

devinlamothe
07-17-2009, 12:50 PM
So I've had my Konig Helium's on for about 67,000km on REALLY crappy roads and I've had no issues what-so-ever.

Then again I'm running a strong tire to help with the rough roads too.

marlondog
07-20-2009, 01:38 AM
Nothing wrong with Heliums. People hate on them because they are knock-off's of some Volk wheels. Every wheel can be cracked just like any tire can be popped. If you have super low-profile tires and you hit a pothole, chances are that your wheels may receive some damage. Good idea to have some nice rubber to protect your wheels, or else you might end up like one of those poor bastards that had there wheels and hearts broken.

johnnypaseo
07-20-2009, 02:12 AM
more stuff here http://forums.montrealracing.com/general-sponsored-fast-wheels/602494-bash-me-why-rotas-amazing-part-2-a.html

it seems that if your running a high hp car or if your tracking your car ie: autocross, drifting blah.. it would be better to get high quality rims

Sabretooth
07-20-2009, 02:51 AM
I dont even think its about tracking the car. I mean really, its just about how much abuse you give the rim. People think a $60 rim is gonna take similar abuse to a $200 rim.

Rotas are a decent rim, I have a set of Torque's on my car, and havnt had a problem with over 15,000 miles on them, and they have seen their share of potholes and spirited driving.

Do I plan to use them as track rims, no.
Will they see a track during their lifetime, you can bet on it.

Also there is the matter of how much HP you are thowing at them, I dont understand how anyone can throw cheap rims on a 500 HP car and think that they wont affected by the amount of torque that you are tossing at them... I dont think a Yaris will be able to snap a set of Rota's, unless your really doing rallycross with them. lol.

Cheap + Quality + Lightweight, you cant have all three...

anonymous user
07-20-2009, 03:50 AM

Ahhh the racers holy triangle. Similar to cheap, fast, and reliable.....pick 2 of 3. :thumbup:

silver_echo
07-20-2009, 05:19 AM
I dont even think its about tracking the car. I mean really, its just about how much abuse you give the rim. People think a $60 rim is gonna take similar abuse to a $200 rim.

Rotas are a decent rim, I have a set of Torque's on my car, and havnt had a problem with over 15,000 miles on them, and they have seen their share of potholes and spirited driving.

Do I plan to use them as track rims, no.
Will they see a track during their lifetime, you can bet on it.

Also there is the matter of how much HP you are thowing at them, I dont understand how anyone can throw cheap rims on a 500 HP car and think that they wont affected by the amount of torque that you are tossing at them... I dont think a Yaris will be able to snap a set of Rota's, unless your really doing rallycross with them. lol.

Ahhh the racers holy triangle. Similar to cheap, fast, and reliable.....pick 2 of 3. :thumbup:

don't forget the mechanics trifecta... time, price, quality; pick two...

Sabretooth
07-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Oh, and for those wanting to know where rotas are made, mine were ordered from the phillipines, then shipped to california, then to me.

BrazdonW
07-20-2009, 02:04 PM
nothing wrong with konig helium's at all

Bob Dog
07-20-2009, 05:52 PM
The word about Heliums has made me wonder about Britelites as well. Any horror stories about them?

johnnypaseo
07-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Havent heard anything about motegi rims i've had them on my paseo for 4 yrs been trying to search that on the net tho lol

whooppee777
07-21-2009, 12:52 AM
People take a budget priced cast wheel set to track day and abuse the piss out of them, and then are shocked when one cracks...

When you pay $90 per wheel for instance, versus $600 a piece forged Volks, there is going to be a big difference in strength...

Cheers

nothing wrong with konig helium's at all

nuff said

aeipee13
07-21-2009, 03:34 PM
I've seen all types of wheels crack, break, and fail from Rota to Volk and even Hammann and BBS. The thing they all had in common was some type of "accident." From hitting a pot hole to flying off the side of a mountain. I guarantee this didn't just happen from driving to the market. Something out of the ordinary happened and people that blow things out of proportion should be water-boarded for stupidity.

Everyone should know by now that the internet is one of the worst places for good information.

WeeYari
07-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Anyone really pick up on the fact that this is a nearly 3 year old thread revived. Since that time, we have had plenty of YW experience on these wheels. When it comes to number of people running the same wheel around here, I believe Heliums are #1.

marlondog
07-21-2009, 11:40 PM
All them peeps talking smack about them Heliumz need to get a Chipotle Enema!

JustAnotherAsian
07-21-2009, 11:56 PM
i'm keeping tabs on this thread just in case any other cheap rim comes up.

regal
07-24-2009, 11:11 PM
This is why I bought OEM SCion rims, I hit a pot hole so hard I am sure the helium would have desintigrated, the OEM wheel showed sign of damage. Good OEM rims are a bargain on ebay. You do have a weight penalty unfortunately.

BrazdonW
07-25-2009, 09:44 AM
bs
i hit plenty of pot holes
not so much as a bend

JBougie
07-25-2009, 03:51 PM
I really don't think that the cost of a wheel matters that much... I have spent $2,000 on a set of wheels w/o tires on cars before, and for the Yaris I spent $775 on my wheels with tires - and that was the price after shipping, mounting, balancing, etc. - they are a no-name brand (Ruff Racing?) but they are very solid wheel and I don't have any complaints.

You just have to know how to drive with after market wheels - some people just can't do it and they should stick to steelies. lol

ddongbap
07-26-2009, 08:34 AM
Welcome to 10 years ago.

And welcome to Konig.

RacerFreakXXX
07-26-2009, 10:00 AM
I've seen all types of wheels crack, break, and fail from Rota to Volk and even Hammann and BBS. The thing they all had in common was some type of "accident." From hitting a pot hole to flying off the side of a mountain. I guarantee this didn't just happen from driving to the market. Something out of the ordinary happened and people that blow things out of proportion should be water-boarded for stupidity.

Everyone should know by now that the internet is one of the worst places for good information.

+1 on that

I have a friend who paid 1200 for gram lights and they bent after 1 pot hole, it was huge, but still. I mean they aren't 3 piece forged but with the right amount of force any wheel will break or bend. I buy cheap so if they break i can buy more w/o killing the bank, that's my opinion.

fmicle
09-29-2010, 06:07 PM

+ 1,000,000

jcemitte
09-29-2010, 06:51 PM
But again, I stress, wheels are WEAR GOODS. If they wanna break then they will!

no disrespect intended

Wheels are not a wear part. wheels will last the life of your car unless you buy cheap ones. light wieght, low density, and inexpensive was the way you descibed these wheels. if you knew that before you bought them, you were asking for it. if you track your car you risk breaking them but anything could break. by your logic the entire car would technically be a wear part.

the manufacturer doesnt have a service interval for wheels...just sayin.

JumpmanYaris
09-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Grave digger lol

fmicle
09-30-2010, 01:30 PM
OK, I want to show something to all the people that talk about "what you get is what you pay for", "quality materials", "cheap alloys", etc.

Stop the bashing and do some basic research, any wheel will break, if you abuse it hard enough.

Here is a thread about a cracked Volk (oohhh, the very expensive and high quality forged Volk, that the cheap Konig Heliums are copied from!):
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-sponsored-tire-rack/501192-cracked-volk-wheel.html

Here are two threads about cracked Kosei's:
http://www.miata.net/products/wheels/kosei.html
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1432310

Here is a broken Rota (middle of the page) and a badly cracked Enkei RPF1, scroll down all the way to look at the picture:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2008047

I'm sure I can fill up a whole page with examples, if I take my time and do some research.

So, people, come on, let's be reasonable and not hit the panic button. Anything will break, if you hit it hard enough, common sense, alright?

johnny_vitz
09-30-2010, 10:44 PM
I just bought a set of heliums for my car :biggrin:
I'd have to agree with the posts above, it can happen to any wheel. The first pic from this thread was probably a car that got in a huge accident or slid into a curb going 60. They were used for three years by the previous owner, all are straight just like new. I recently saw a set of Rota's for sale in T.O where one rim had two cracks in the spokes.

why?
10-01-2010, 11:02 AM
the other thing to think of is the odds of a Yaris putting anywhere near the pressure on a wheel that these other vehicles will.

fmicle
10-01-2010, 10:36 PM
^^
^
I'm glad to see that there are plenty of reasonable people on this forum :wink:

33OH
10-05-2010, 12:23 PM
OMG I'd stay away from OEM wheels as well, look at this Ferrari that only hit a pothole! Damn cheaply made wheels!

http://www.nbtglobal.com/info/CantFix.jpg

fmicle
10-05-2010, 05:32 PM
^ :bellyroll: Amen!

Stay away from Ferrari's too, how good can they be if they use such crappy wheels? :tongue: