PDA

View Full Version : How the hell am I supposed to drive past gas stations with only an 11.1 gal tank?

H3LlIoN
10-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Yeah. Probably a dumb question. I want to increase my fuel capacity so I can go further without stopping. As is it, I can drive just about as far as my 11mpg Yukon makes it before IT runs out of fuel. What's the fun in that? Anyone have any thoughts?

Flame away.:evil:

And yes, my yukon really does only get 11mpg. The Yaris averages me out to mid 20's though. :thumbsup:

H3LlIoN
10-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Forgive this thread. I've been up for 22 hours. I know it's not doable, at least according to my roomate, the Toyota master mechanic.

It'd just be so super awesome to spend the same amount of money as it takes to fill the yukon, yet drive around for 1200 miles before stopping again. only filling up 10 times a year though doesn't jive to well with big oil.

Yaris Hilton
10-26-2009, 08:47 AM
I usually get around 370-400 miles on my 10 gallon fillups. I pass quite a few gas stations with that. A much larger tank would cut your mileage due to added weight, and you would be more likely to encounter problems with fuel going stale, accumulating moisture or being out of season with the changing fuel blends for different temperatures.

YotaYaris
10-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Same here, I have never had less than 39MPG(first tank) and best of 44MPG. I guess if you want to pass more fuel stations you need to slow down a little. I know its no fun doing that, buts its the easiest way I can think of. Then you can get about 420miles out of 10 gallons or so.
Peace

H3LlIoN
10-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Yeah my truck will go 400 if I'm real easy and on the highway alot, so I'm passing the same gas stations, just at a higher cost. I can't imagine the weight of added gasoline could affect it that much...I don't have an exact figure, but I'm guessing gas is ~ water, which is 8#/gal.

I just think it'd be sweet to go further. My mom has an excursion with a 44 gal tank, diesel. When she fills that bad boy up, the computer regularly will calculate in the 700-800 miles to empty range...best I've ever done was 730, and it's awesome to be able to drive forever with out stopping. I made two round trips this month to the blue ridge from hampton roads, and still had fuel to run around town looking for the cheapest diesel.

Hah could you imagine a yaris with present mpg and a 44 gal tank? ~1500 miles to empty, lol.

H3LlIoN
10-26-2009, 09:01 AM
I guess if you want to pass more fuel stations you need to slow down a little.

Eh I think it probably has something to do with the 230lbs that I add to the load, plus all the crap that I leave in my car on a daily basis. :-P

rningonfumes
10-26-2009, 11:51 AM
LOL..You're making excuses, if you want the range you will have to slow down.

I'm 260-280 lbs and my range is about 450-480 or so before I fill up again.

TLyttle
10-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Seems to me there is an "industry standard" for fuel tank capacity, usually works out to a range of 300-400 miles. Some vehicles have larger tanks installed for extra range, but nearly every car I've had in the last 55 years worked out to about the standard.

This is why I giggle a bit when someone says the made it from x to y on 1/2 a tank of gas; so does everyone else. Ask what the tank capacity is, and most have no clue...

schleppy
10-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Try riding a motorcycle with a 1.9 gallon tank. Get back to me after.

The Yaris' 11.1 gallon tank and MPG make the small tank a moot point. I rarely have to get gas.

H3LlIoN
10-26-2009, 12:37 PM
jesus. I've been in this particular forum for 5 hours and already I'm lead-footed AND burning the wrong gas. Yeehaw.

RUFFSTUFF
10-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah. Probably a dumb question. I want to increase my fuel capacity so I can go further without stopping. As is it, I can drive just about as far as my 11mpg Yukon makes it before IT runs out of fuel. What's the fun in that? Anyone have any thoughts?

And yes, my yukon really does only get 11mpg. The Yaris averages me out to mid 20's though. :thumbsup:

No need to flame. It's obvious what your issues are.

chongopants
10-26-2009, 01:12 PM
drive by with an 11 gallon tank b/c you only weigh 2k lbs... I get over 400miles to a tank...

mr9865
10-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Is refueling really that hard?

CtrlAltDefeat
10-26-2009, 03:14 PM
I understand the OPs sentiment... It would be awesome to put our outstanding MPG to use on a huge tank of gas, and just drive forever. The "passing up gas stations" phrase is a bit of a misnomer, as smaller vehicles generally have smaller gas tanks and similar ranges to larger vehicles. As far as the effects of a larger tank on a Yaris, if you were talking about a 44 gallon tank (like 4x the size of the standard tank), I imagine Yaris Hilton and the others would be correct about stale gas and water buildup. The weight would also be a factor of course. I do, however, think that a 20 gallon tank might work without too much water/gas problems. The extra gas (9gal) would weigh about 55.35 lbs (which really isn't that much) at about 6.15 lbs/gal (per wiki answers (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_is_heavier_an_equal_volume_of_water_or_gasol ine)) and range would be almost double. The problem with that is: where in our tiny subcompacts would you put that huge tank, and if you took a hard turn would the back end kick out sideways when all 120lbs of gas suddenly sloshes sideways? :laugh:

I apologize on behalf of the rest of YW for the flames. Mpg is a hotly debated topic here, so you really picked a good one to start with. :biggrin: So welcome to YW, and just don't take it personally :wink:

b_hickman11
10-26-2009, 03:54 PM

Go to Wal-Mart. Buy a 12 Gallon Fuel Container for $49.96 http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11071152 Strap dat hoe in your truck. Drill a hole in the left side of your trunk, towards the fuel door. Run some type of fuel line from your newly installed tank to the fuel inlet. Get you a pump. Install it. :w00t:

CTScott
10-26-2009, 03:58 PM
I can't imagine watching the dollar signs roll by while pumping 44 gallons into a vehicle. Filling up from empty for less than $30 with my Yaris is much more palatable then dropping over $100 at one time at a gas station.

jambo101
10-26-2009, 04:16 PM
I'll put that 11 gals in my car and at legal freeway speeds (60mph)easily drive 6 to 7 hours with out stopping.

supmet
10-26-2009, 04:30 PM
fuel cell in the trunk.

And I don't know how many more red flags you guys need for a troll... I mean comparing an excursion to a yaris in the FE forum?

talnlnky
10-26-2009, 04:33 PM
if you learn to drive smarter (coasting, early shiftpoiints... read: At a more constant and slower pace) you can improve your mileage a lot. you get mid 20's, I've never gotten less than 33 mpg, you can see if you click my signature what my tanks of gas have been like for the past 18 months. I average over 40mpg.

When you avg 40mph, you can go up to 425-4500miles between fillups (depending how dry you want to run the tank). 40mpg is not a hard point to reach, it just takes a change in driving style, and maybe a change in the route, or even the time that you drive.

I've found that if I leave for work at 7:30 I get worse mileage than if I drive at 7:15 or 8:00. Reason being is that there is more congestion on my trip due to people trying to make it to work before 8am.

Your yukon would have to have a 40gallon tank in order to get 450miles.... Something in me thinks it has closer to a 20-30 gallon tank.

talnlnky
10-26-2009, 04:35 PM
fuel cell in the trunk.

And I don't know how many more red flags you guys need for a troll... I mean comparing an excursion to a yaris in the FE forum?

maybe it's a troll, dunno, only read his first 2 posts.... but he isn't comparing FE.. he is comparing distance traveled per tank.... HUGE difference.

H3LlIoN
10-26-2009, 05:13 PM
No troll. Just been up two days and I'm out of it.

It matters not at this point. I hit an 8 point buck going 60 (in a 60mph for those that think me heavy footed) and it's going to take me a while to put the front end of my truck back together. I was actually lucky that it wasn't my yaris, as I was on lunch break from work (I live about 5 miles from work) and decided to switch to the yukon because......drumroll please.......the yaris was out of gas.

fmicle
10-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Seems to me there is an "industry standard" for fuel tank capacity, usually works out to a range of 300-400 miles. Some vehicles have larger tanks installed for extra range, but nearly every car I've had in the last 55 years worked out to about the standard.

This is why I giggle a bit when someone says the made it from x to y on 1/2 a tank of gas; so does everyone else. Ask what the tank capacity is, and most have no clue...

Yes, there is, as you correctly point out, even if not literally spelled out in a book or something. If I remember correctly the "range" is meant to force the driver to stop, get out of the car, move a bit, so that you don't get overly fatigued by driving non-stop for a long time.

RUFFSTUFF
10-26-2009, 05:17 PM
---yawn---

H3LlIoN
10-26-2009, 05:18 PM
alright smart ass... be right back.

H3LlIoN
10-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Deer

http://i35.tinypic.com/16k1cp2.jpg

My messed up '96 Yukon

http://i33.tinypic.com/33wbkhz.jpg

My '09 Carmine Red Metallic Hatch

http://i33.tinypic.com/i2ojzp.jpg

There. No troll. I was merely remarking that it would be nice to have an increased range. Jesus christ.

Eh sry @ jumbo pics.

slothman86
10-26-2009, 05:37 PM
LOL @ Pics

but srsly mid-20's? I've never got below 32 MPG, Even HottRODDIN' it!

H3LlIoN
10-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Ah my bad. What I meant by that was the 30+ of the yaris and the 11 or so of the yukon average me out to mid 20's. Sry.

CtrlAltDefeat
10-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Go to Wal-Mart. Buy a 12 Gallon Fuel Container for $49.96 http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11071152 Strap dat hoe in your truck. Drill a hole in the left side of your trunk, towards the fuel door. Run some type of fuel line from your newly installed tank to the fuel inlet. Get you a pump. Install it. :w00t:

That's actually a pretty good idea... If you were planning a long distance trip and didn't want to stop for some reason... wouldn't even need a pump if the tube went from the bottom of the gas can into fuel in your tank... would gravity feed into the tank whenever the fuel in the tank reached the tip of the tube...

RUFFSTUFF
10-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Dude... you made me shoot soda out my nose... thanks! That's not your "favorite" hand is it?

advocate
10-26-2009, 06:29 PM
rofl the pics were pretty good

Yaris Hilton
10-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Got the deer dressed out, cut up and in the freezer yet?

b_hickman11
10-26-2009, 08:30 PM
I saw a State Trooper hit a 8 point this weekend. I'm glad to know that the deer aren't biased.

AlexNet0
10-26-2009, 09:02 PM
^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Zsz7uc5j4
lol

TinyGiant
10-26-2009, 09:18 PM
lol its sad that the war on captivise-like cyber trolling has made it hard for new comers to just be new with out speculation of bad intentions :(

H3LlIoN
10-26-2009, 11:20 PM
eh you can't really eat a deer that's been hit like that. The parts that got hit get real tough and spoil from the blood that pools in the muscle, and this deer got hit every where. It actually snapped one of his tines out of his head, taking a chunk of skull with it.

Oh, and I'm ambidextrous.

Yar Is Word
10-26-2009, 11:33 PM
I would like a larger gas tank too.
But it's tanks but no tanks.

Welcome to the forum!

Kioshi
10-27-2009, 01:17 AM
LMFAO....at the pics.

Welcome to the forums H3LlIon....enjoy your stay and check out the other sections of this forums, make yourself a home :)

fmicle
10-27-2009, 01:46 AM
This thread is hella funny.

The truth is, it would be kinda fun to have a bigger tank on the Yaris and have a range of 1,000 miles or something. Imagine the conversation: aren't you afraid you're going to get stuck in the desert? No, I can cross the Sahara in this thing on one tank of gas.

Second, too bad you can't do anything with that deer. If you hadn't written the explanation, I would have guessed it must be just perfect, the deer already tenderized, just fire up the BBQ...

why?
10-27-2009, 11:03 AM
eww, too much weight. I've thought of getting a smaller tank or fuel cell to eliminate some of the weight of the gas. Weight matters a ton to fuel mileage. The less you can have, the better.

ozmdd
10-27-2009, 11:38 AM
This is pretty funny. BTW - I don't think it would be that hard to swap a larger-capacity tank from another Toyota vehicle. you'd need to figure-out the max dimensions that would safely fit and ensure that the pump/pickup were either the same or could be fitted to your existing wiring/fuel lines. I think the Camry and/or Corolla have similar-but-larger tank setups.

H3LlIoN
10-27-2009, 11:57 AM
:frown: I am not amused. Just got back from the dealership...$2200 worth of damage. :cry:

TLyttle
10-27-2009, 12:03 PM
I don't think I would like to be around when he drills a hole in the fuel tank, the pyrotechnics could be quite spectacular...

IF one can find a tapped hole in the tank, it is possible to devise a "chicken hopper" tank as an auxilliary, but whether it would work with these sealed systems or not, I can't say. Best to just get out of the car after 300 miles anyway...

b_hickman11
10-27-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't think I would like to be around when he drills a hole in the fuel tank, the pyrotechnics could be quite spectacular...

IF one can find a tapped hole in the tank, it is possible to devise a "chicken hopper" tank as an auxilliary, but whether it would work with these sealed systems or not, I can't say. Best to just get out of the car after 300 miles anyway...

It was a joke dude

H3LlIoN
10-27-2009, 02:03 PM
This is pretty funny. BTW - I don't think it would be that hard to swap a larger-capacity tank from another Toyota vehicle. you'd need to figure-out the max dimensions that would safely fit and ensure that the pump/pickup were either the same or could be fitted to your existing wiring/fuel lines. I think the Camry and/or Corolla have similar-but-larger tank setups.

That's kind of what I was thinking. My roomate is a Toyota tech, got him checking in to it for me.

Loren
10-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Okay, so you still might have to fill up as often as you did with your larger vehicle. You can still get a little (or a LOT) of joy from the fact that when you do fill up, instead of costing you $80, it's going to cost you less than $30. You have to admit that's pretty cool!

fmicle
10-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Okay, so you still might have to fill up as often as you did with your larger vehicle. You can still get a little (or a LOT) of joy from the fact that when you do fill up, instead of costing you $80, it's going to cost you less than $30. You have to admit that's pretty cool!

That is totally cool :smile: With my Jeep Cherokee, I got 400 miles on a tank of gas for $60, with the Yaris, I'm getting the same for $30.

As others have said earlier, it would add too much weight and for daily driving it wouldn't make sense. But I still think crossing the Sahara on one tank of gas would be cool too :smile:

YotaYaris
10-28-2009, 12:30 AM
I think crossing the US would be even cooler

Yaris Hilton
10-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Well, yeah, I'd like to have a nuclear reactor and just change the fuel in 20 years or so.

H3LlIoN
10-28-2009, 01:06 AM
You can still get a little (or a LOT) of joy from the fact that when you do fill up, instead of costing you $80, it's going to cost you less than $30. You have to admit that's pretty cool!

QFT. Empty to S.A.F. the other day was $27usd.

fmicle
10-28-2009, 01:28 AM
I think crossing the US would be even cooler

That would be a cool project... Remove the rear seats and make half the interior a big gas tank. That should get you from coast to coast without refueling :wink:

CtrlAltDefeat
10-28-2009, 01:50 AM
That would be a cool project... Remove the rear seats and make half the interior a big gas tank. That should get you from coast to coast without refueling :wink:

well lets see... New York to Los Angeles is 2,776 mi shortest route according to google maps... at about 40mpg highway (maybe higher but to be on the safe side...) that's 69.4 gallons of gas, minus 11 gallons already onboard that's 58.4 gallons you would need to have extra... I wonder if a 60 gallon tank would fit in the back of a Yaris.:biggrin:

CtrlAltDefeat
10-28-2009, 01:54 AM
The weight of the extra gas would be about 370lbs, so it would be like having a couple of 185lbs people in the back...

advocate
10-28-2009, 03:28 AM
The weight of the extra gas would be about 370lbs, so it would be like having a couple of 185lbs people in the back...

Which would easily drop your MPG to 35. Maybe less.

I don't doubt you could fit the gas into the car someway.

What I wonder about is whether or not the car is capable of driving 3,000 miles non stop?

CtrlAltDefeat
10-28-2009, 05:11 AM
Which would easily drop your MPG to 35. Maybe less.

I don't doubt you could fit the gas into the car someway.

What I wonder about is whether or not the car is capable of driving 3,000 miles non stop?

well 35mpg at the start, but more like 45mpg near the end when fuel is lower (averaging 40 I'd hope...) as far as it running 3000 non-stop, I can't imagine why not, you wouldn't be running at redline or slinging the car side ways and such that would cause something to break... barring any silly bad luck breakdowns...

YotaYaris
10-28-2009, 05:32 AM
With the 11 gallon tank we have, we should be able to get +/- 420 miles per tank without running out of gas and sitting on the side of the road.
can you imagine having a 16 gallon tank, just 5 more gallons capacity. We could get +/- 630 miles on one tank, now that would be really awesome.
Sure it would temporarily add 30 pounds to the car, but it would be in a good spot to add weight.
Peace

YotaYaris
10-28-2009, 05:41 AM
As per our friends at MapQuest, Seattle WA to Miami FL is 3,300 miles. If we averaged 44mpgs, we would need a 75 gallon tank to make the trip. The extra fuel would increase the load by about 410 pounds. Thats a big tank. Imagine a 55 gallon drum in the back of our cars. :eek:

This was a great question about how to pass gas stations that has really taken off to what if's. :tongue:

DevilGirl
10-28-2009, 08:11 AM
can you imagine having a 16 gallon tank, just 5 more gallons capacity. We could get +/- 630 miles on one tank, now that would be really awesome.

That would be sweet! :drool: I'd actually be able to go a full week without having to stop for gas! (Darn that commute of 100+/- miles a day, plus whatever errands I run!)

YotaYaris
10-28-2009, 10:55 AM
I would be more than willing to lose my spare and just carry a can of crappy fix a flat for a 5 to 10 gallon auxiliary tank in place of the spare.
Just a silly thought that wont go anywhere.

b_hickman11
10-28-2009, 01:17 PM

Why would we need a 70 gallon tank? You are going to have to stop to take a piss, lay or duece, get something to eat, etc anyways so it would be less $ to have the 11 gallon tank. Plus it would cause your shocks to fail prematurely and your back tires would also have more wear.

CtrlAltDefeat
10-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Why would we need a 70 gallon tank? You are going to have to stop to take a piss, lay or duece, get something to eat, etc anyways so it would be less $ to have the 11 gallon tank. Plus it would cause your shocks to fail prematurely and your back tires would also have more wear.

for the non-stop cross country trip mentioned in the post just above that one...

b_hickman11
10-28-2009, 03:20 PM
for the non-stop cross country trip mentioned in the post just above that one...

So you would just piss your pants and have some logs rolling around in your Levi's?

RUFFSTUFF
10-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Could you imagine if the government and the auto manufacturers hadn't colluded and bought out and shelved several wonderfully engineered internal combustion engine designs over a decade ago. Our 100hp Yaris could be a 130hp Yaris that gets 70mpg or more. Then someone could complain about the gas tank is only 11.1 gallons and they had to put gas in it 10 times this year...

And our highways wouldn't be polluted with hybrid scum.

RUFFSTUFF
10-28-2009, 03:23 PM
So you would just piss your pants and have some logs rolling around in your Levi's?

Empty Mountain Dew bottles can handle half of that problem.

10-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Empty Mountain Dew bottles can handle half of that problem.

space diapers :burnrubber:

RUFFSTUFF
10-28-2009, 06:04 PM
space diapers :burnrubber:

Like that crazy NASA chick... yum

fmicle
10-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Like that crazy NASA chick... yum

After finishing installing the oversized tank, what would stay in the way of installing a "collection tank" underneath the driver's seat? We can use vacuum from the engine to create suction and everything. It wouldn't even get messy... The right chemicals in the tank would take care of the smell problem. Sounds doable to me :tongue:

Cop: - Please step out of the vehicle sir.
Driver: - Sorry officer, I am taking a dump, but I'll be out in a minute...

RUFFSTUFF
10-28-2009, 07:44 PM
After finishing installing the oversized tank, what would stay in the way of installing a "collection tank" underneath the driver's seat? We can use vacuum from the engine to create suction and everything. It wouldn't even get messy... The right chemicals in the tank would take care of the smell problem. Sounds doable to me :tongue:

No thanks. :eek:

Kioshi
10-28-2009, 08:29 PM

:laugh::laugh: god you guys have some disgusting ideas.....

b_hickman11
10-28-2009, 10:04 PM

Then maybe someone could come up with some way of converting it into fuel for our car!

fmicle
10-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Then maybe someone could come up with some way of converting it into fuel for our car!

Man, I have a feeling something great will come out of this thread. Something that will change the auto industry forever... We're making history my friends! :smile:

2+2
10-29-2009, 05:09 AM
Man, I have a feeling something great will come out of this thread. Something that will change the auto industry forever... We're making history my friends! :smile:

:bellyroll:

Kal-El
10-29-2009, 10:23 AM
If Toyota put a bigger tank in, we'd be complaining about the small trunk. :rolleyes:

I don't know why you would need more than a 400 mile range. I pass maybe 300 gas stations during that time.

coheed
11-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Try riding a motorcycle with a 1.9 gallon tank. Get back to me after.

The Yaris' 11.1 gallon tank and MPG make the small tank a moot point. I rarely have to get gas.

Lol about the bike part. Mine only has a 1 gallon tank. :laugh:

daf62757
11-18-2009, 10:19 AM
I wish the Yaris did come with a larger gas tank. 11 gallons is not big enough. That said, I can drive from Indianapolis to Chicago and back on the same tank.....driving home on fumes maybe, but still can make it!

You get so used to the 11 gallon tank, but I would love a larger tank!

DevilGirl
11-18-2009, 12:15 PM
I wish the Yaris did come with a larger gas tank. 11 gallons is not big enough. That said, I can drive from Indianapolis to Chicago and back on the same tank.....driving home on fumes maybe, but still can make it!

You get so used to the 11 gallon tank, but I would love a larger tank!

+1

Not much larger, maybe a 13gal tank or so. That extra 70-80 miles the 2 gallons would give would be wonderful! I could make it through a full 4 days, instead of pushing it close with only 3.5 days. That's closer to a full week on one tank...

tomato
11-18-2009, 01:05 PM

What about the driver ?!!

Hmmm.. Gives the word "multitasking" a whole new meaning! :laugh:

SaerinRhoe
11-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Well, if you're going to install a collection tank then you should install a dump valve behind the rear axle to take care of folks that tailgate.

Just a thought,

S.R.

DevilGirl
11-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Well, if you're going to install a collection tank then you should install a dump valve behind the rear axle to take care of folks that tailgate.

Just a thought,

S.R.

:clap:

TLyttle
11-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Hm. Been done, by an unnamed group in the trucking industry. In order to undercut the legit drivers, they pile 3 or 4 guys into the cab, fill the tanks and go. They change drivers on the go(!), and relieve themselves through a hole in the floor. Now, the local scales have mirrors to check the underside of the trucks, and any hole in the floor results in immediate seizure of the truck and contents. Bad enough to be following one of these rigs at an inappropriate time, but can you imagine servicing it? Oh, dear...

tomato
11-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Eeew.... There goes that new car smell, uh. :laugh:

H3LlIoN
11-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Holy shit. I just realized this thread was still going. Wtf?

Kal-El
11-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Holy shit. I just realized this thread was still going. Wtf?

It must have a pretty big tank.

supmet
11-19-2009, 02:43 PM
It must have a pretty big tank.

:laugh:

tomato
11-19-2009, 05:16 PM
:bellyroll:

H3LlIoN
11-19-2009, 11:05 PM
lol

Yaris Hilton
11-20-2009, 06:47 AM
Airplanes have in-flight refueling. Why can't we pull up next to a fuel truck rolling down the highway, swing a probe over and top up at 70 MPH?

WolfWings
11-20-2009, 08:19 AM
For some reason this post reminds me of my old '944... the gas tank was for the 12MPG Turbo S model with the 3.0l DOHC turbo engine, but I had the 'stripper' 30MPG 2.5l SOHC NA engine. So yeah, 700-750 miles on every tank of gas was worth the SUV-like fill-up price to dump 20-odd gallons into the 944. That car be made for road-trippin'!

TLyttle
11-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Yeah, Hilton, that's the next logical step, alright...

sdyaris
11-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Living in the midwest, alot of our gas has ethanol in it. I tried an expirement and ran a few tank through that had no ethanol blend at all. My gas mileage average went from around 32 mpg in town to 36 mpg in town. Something to think about.

b_hickman11
11-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Most if not all the stations in my area are 10% ethanol. And actually I haven't put gas in my car that wasn't a blend in many months now. So if thats the only type of fuel you have to choose from then this isn't going to help.

Yaris Hilton
11-20-2009, 01:56 PM
All that I've seen since 2006 is 10% ethanol. That's the norm across the U.S.

mr9865
11-20-2009, 03:16 PM
there are a few stations around me that advertise no ethanol, I try to fill up at those places.

2+2
11-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Airplanes have in-flight refueling. Why can't we pull up next to a fuel truck rolling down the highway, swing a probe over and top up at 70 MPH?

Figure out a slick way to do that for electric cars and you can buy yourself a nice little island to live on. :headbang:

Yaris Hilton
11-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I know a way you could do that wirelessly, but you'd probably have to have a nuclear reactor on the truck to make it work.

2+2
11-20-2009, 05:07 PM
I know a way you could do that wirelessly, but you'd probably have to have a nuclear reactor on the truck to make it work.

How about doing it like electric trains but different? Since trains ride a track they can use overhead wires but cars wander so how about curb feelers? You're cruising down the eway and see your electric gauge is low so you hit the right lane and let the curb feelers engage the wires alongside the road. Swerving to avoid the occasional electrified roadkill might just become an everyday fact of life. :smile:

Electric cars with infinite range though - that would be cool.

CtrlAltDefeat
11-20-2009, 10:57 PM
How about doing it like electric trains but different? Since trains ride a track they can use overhead wires but cars wander so how about curb feelers? You're cruising down the eway and see your electric gauge is low so you hit the right lane and let the curb feelers engage the wires alongside the road. Swerving to avoid the occasional electrified roadkill might just become an everyday fact of life. :smile:

Electric cars with infinite range though - that would be cool.

Actually, inductive coils embedded in the road would avoid needing the curb feelers or the chicken fried road kill. They just wouldn't be that efficient, and installing them would be really expensive. My dream would be nuclear battery equipped cars that would only need refueled once every 3-5 years, but some how avoid that whole "nuclear waste, radioactive spill when the car wrecks, freely available nuclear material" issue lol

fmicle
11-20-2009, 11:21 PM

OMG, that would be so awesome!!! :headbang:

fmicle
11-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Living in the midwest, alot of our gas has ethanol in it. I tried an expirement and ran a few tank through that had no ethanol blend at all. My gas mileage average went from around 32 mpg in town to 36 mpg in town. Something to think about.

Yeah, I think ethanol does more harm than good. I believe a basic principle should be "don't put your food in your tank"???!!!

fmicle
11-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Actually, inductive coils embedded in the road would avoid needing the curb feelers or the chicken fried road kill. They just wouldn't be that efficient, and installing them would be really expensive. My dream would be nuclear battery equipped cars that would only need refueled once every 3-5 years, but some how avoid that whole "nuclear waste, radioactive spill when the car wrecks, freely available nuclear material" issue lol

How about a "simple" fuel cell? :smile:

CtrlAltDefeat
11-21-2009, 12:55 AM
How about a "simple" fuel cell? :smile:

You mean a hydrogen fuel cell? I wish hydrogen was the answer, but there are so many issues with hydrogen (low energy/volume ratio, nearly impossible to keep contained without it seeping out, etc) Ultimately the real answer is efficiency. Super efficient solar cells, motors, and energy storage are the key. Most solar cells are only 5% efficient. Get cheap and efficient solar cells and energy storage and watch how quickly fossil fuels disappear...

fmicle
11-21-2009, 01:13 AM
Nah, not necessarily hydrogen, there are other technologies that are more efficient: direct carbon, alkaline, etc. Imagine a battery (fuel cell) so good you could power your house too. You drive back hom from work, park in the garage and plug the house into the car :smile: Now, wouldn't that be cool?

TLyttle
11-21-2009, 01:24 AM
What is it about keeping rolling that has you guys so inspired?? I stop, deal with my requirements, the car's requirements, walk around a bit, and start out again refreshed. Amazingly, I get to my destination just as quickly as anyone else, and more alert to boot.

CtrlAltDefeat
11-21-2009, 01:41 AM
What is it about keeping rolling that has you guys so inspired?? I stop, deal with my requirements, the car's requirements, walk around a bit, and start out again refreshed. Amazingly, I get to my destination just as quickly as anyone else, and more alert to boot.

lol just a little thought experiment is all :smile:

Yaris Hilton
11-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Yep. No astronaut diapers for me.