PDA

View Full Version : Q about Routing wires to the engine compartment

W.A.S.P
10-27-2006, 11:10 AM
What do you guys think is a good way to route a couple of wires from the cockpit to the engine compartment. I would like to hook up my keyless entry to the horn and running lights for visual and audio confirmation. I just wanted to know if there is an easy way to get the wires there before I start drilling unnecessary holes. Thanks in advance!

vodkalush
10-27-2006, 11:15 AM
What do you guys think is a good way to route a couple of wires from the cockpit to the engine compartment. I would like to hook up my keyless entry to the horn and running lights for visual and audio confirmation. I just wanted to know if there is an easy way to get the wires there before I start drilling unnecessary holes. Thanks in advance!

I asked the same question a while back (while in ref to my amp power wire..) and was told to use the ac drip hose; which is located under the passanger dash near the center consol. so I would that a shot.

mikeukrainetz
10-27-2006, 02:19 PM
if theyre small wires just try and use the existing main wire grommet behind the steering wheel area.

W.A.S.P
10-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys! I'll try both ways tomorrow morning. I actually need to nmove 6 wires to this area, 4 for the mirror blinkers and 2 for the horn and running lights... any other suggestions?

Kitt
10-27-2006, 11:04 PM
First of all DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT drill ANYTHING trough the firewall, just pass the cables trough the main wire grommet, it may be tricky but it works, it is rubber so you can stretch it...
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h147/snakepitmaiden/Engine.jpg

Wayside
10-28-2006, 12:26 AM
I would like to hook up my keyless entry to the horn and running lights for visual and audio confirmation.
You can grab these wires from inside the car.

Parking Lights green + fuse box, top L, 30 pin plug, pin 29
Horn Trigger black to lt. green - fuse box, top, 36 pin plug, pin 28

4 for the mirror blinkers .
These should run through the doors right?

W.A.S.P
10-28-2006, 02:15 AM
You can grab these wires from inside the car.

Parking Lights green + fuse box, top L, 30 pin plug, pin 29
Horn Trigger black to lt. green - fuse box, top, 36 pin plug, pin 28

These should run through the doors right?

Thanks! Yes, the blinker wires will go through the doors and the rubber boots, but which would be the best way to go once they are out of the doors? Fuse box? Straight to the front blinkers?

Thanks again for the info!

Wayside
10-28-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks! Yes, the blinker wires will go through the doors and the rubber boots, but which would be the best way to go once they are out of the doors? Fuse box? Straight to the front blinkers?

Thanks again for the info!

Try these:

Turn Signal(L) *lt. green *+ *fuse box, top L, 30 pin plug, pin 27
Turn Signal(R) *yellow *+ *fuse box, top L, 30 pin plug, pin 28

Be sure to test all of your wire connections...

As for running the wires through the door, the easiest thing to do is to remove the boot totally and try to anticipate any wires you may need in the future so you only have to do it once.

1. Remove the speaker from the door.

2. Remove the bolt that restricts the door from opening all the way.

3. Unplug the wire harness from the kick.

4. Pop out the plastic plugs that hold the harness in the door.

5. The rubber boot should be free, just pop it out (car side first).

6. Set up all your wires, tape them together and start to snake them through making sure that you follow the route of the wire harness.

7. Last, I like to tape up the wires and make it look as much like a factory job as possible (I use white tape so you know it's not) .

Put it all back together and your done.

One more thing to remember, if your running new speaker wire you can count the factory speaker wires as an extra set of wire for future use.

Hope this was helpful.

Wayside

W.A.S.P
10-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Try these:

Turn Signal(L) *lt. green *+ *fuse box, top L, 30 pin plug, pin 27
Turn Signal(R) *yellow *+ *fuse box, top L, 30 pin plug, pin 28

Be sure to test all of your wire connections...

As for running the wires through the door, the easiest thing to do is to remove the boot totally and try to anticipate any wires you may need in the future so you only have to do it once.

1. Remove the speaker from the door.

2. Remove the bolt that restricts the door from opening all the way.

3. Unplug the wire harness from the kick.

4. Pop out the plastic plugs that hold the harness in the door.

5. The rubber boot should be free, just pop it out (car side first).

6. Set up all your wires, tape them together and start to snake them through making sure that you follow the route of the wire harness.

7. Last, I like to tape up the wires and make it look as much like a factory job as possible (I use white tape so you know it's not) .

Put it all back together and your done.

One more thing to remember, if your running new speaker wire you can count the factory speaker wires as an extra set of wire for future use.

Hope this was helpful.

Wayside

Thank you Wayside! I've been through this process before as I installed power windows and locks. It's going to be a little tight now, but I'll manage...My concern now is finding the right wires and not end up frying my fusebox. Well thanks again! I'll take a look at the connections you mentioned.

Lowfront
11-01-2006, 12:24 PM
First of all DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT drill ANYTHING trough the firewall, just pass the cables trough the main wire grommet, it may be tricky but it works, it is rubber so you can stretch it...
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h147/snakepitmaiden/Engine.jpg

I'm pretty sure my buddy drilled the firewall to get my power wire to the amps. I'm afraid to ask why this shouldn't be done.

Kitt
11-01-2006, 07:36 PM
one word: corrosion