PDA

View Full Version : Some Dumb Speaker Install Q's =)...

BlueLiftback
10-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Hi guys/gals! Great site here:smile:

I am looking at upgrading to the MB Quart RCE series speakers (the 16 model in the front and 13 in the rear). I have a LIFTBACK:w00t: This will be my first attempt at a component install, and I really need advice from the more educated:bow:

1) I have the SAT6 brackets, and will be drilling out the rivets on the old speaker brackets. What kind of bolt/screw do I need to attach the new adapter to the holes the rivets were in? Do I need to use a nut/bolt then tighten it from behind? Or is there an easier way?

2) I am thinking I'll just try a coaxial set-up for both sets for now (don't want to try mounting the tweeters unless I have to lol), but WHERE do I mount the crossover? Is there a good spot in the door anyone has found? Should I try and use some double sided tape or adhesive (perhaps on top of some dynamat so it won't rattle??)?

3) Can I use SAT6 Brackets to mount 6.5" speakers in the REAR? Or am I stuck with the 5.25"ers? I know I will have to drill new holes in the SAT6's to mount them in the rear (I did a little reading here first hehe...), but am at a loss as to whether or not that will open up the size possibility to 6.5"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:respekt:

Tim

bigsky2
10-27-2006, 08:26 PM
1) I have the SAT6 brackets, and will be drilling out the rivets on the old speaker brackets. What kind of bolt/screw do I need to attach the new adapter to the holes the rivets were in? Do I need to use a nut/bolt then tighten it from behind? Or is there an easier way?

You will need a size 14 (aka 1/4") diameter screw or bolt that will thread the existing holes after you have removed the rivets. Using a nut to secure/fasten the bolt from behind is a good idea, I did the same thing. I think you need at least 1" length for the screw/bolt. I used 1.25" length because I made MDF spacers which are thicker than the SAT6.

2) I am thinking I'll just try a coaxial set-up for both sets for now (don't want to try mounting the tweeters unless I have to lol), but WHERE do I mount the crossover? Is there a good spot in the door anyone has found? Should I try and use some double sided tape or adhesive (perhaps on top of some dynamat so it won't rattle??)?

I cannot help you here, as I decided to mount of xovers in the rear with all my other components. There is quote a bit of room throughout the door panel to mount the xover if it's not too large. I would suggest very strong double sided foam tape and yes, dampen the door with sound deadener to reduce any rattles from varoius objects and the xover itself.

3) Can I use SAT6 Brackets to mount 6.5" speakers in the REAR? Or am I stuck with the 5.25"ers? I know I will have to drill new holes in the SAT6's to mount them in the rear (I did a little reading here first hehe...), but am at a loss as to whether or not that will open up the size possibility to 6.5"?

I think hasher can help you out with this one, as he tried to use the SAT6 for the rear but it didnt work apparently when he tried to install a 6.5" speaker. He ended up using a spacer for the rears. If you are real eager to DIY, make your own spacer brackets. I've created templates for the front and rears here:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1932

Good luck!

hasher22
10-28-2006, 05:53 AM
Yes u can install the Sat6's in the rear.

BUT you have to drill ONE hole as the sat6 spacer is too big for the rear. You can screw in 2 holes from the sat6's no problem. But the 3rd hole you have to drill in the metal and screw it in.

Hope that answers your question :)

BlueLiftback
10-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Thank you both:thumbup:

I figured I could get the SAT6 to fit with a drill hehe, but will the RCE-216 (6.5") fit in the rear with that adapter or will I need to bulk it up a little?

Or maybe I should just go with the RCE-213's for the rear as some people have? Would that (5.25") fit in the SAT6 bracket?

Sorry for the dumb questions haha... I just like to do my homework FIRST:smile:

Tim

PS: I have my heart set on the JVC KD-AVX2 head unit, and am going with the MB Quart speakers all around. I don't listen to a lot of super bass heavy music, and don't think I really need a sub. Do you think I'll get enough thump out of the Quarts with just a decent amp? I am going to try em without one first, but would the next logical step be a sub or an amp?

Thanks so much again! My Yaris (Charlotte) and I both appreciate it!:bow: