PDA

View Full Version : changing out steering wheel?

BMGYaris
10-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Its probably way over my price range....as i am broke. :frown:
If I were to get a telescopic steering wheel from a wrecked yota or otherwise would i be able to change it out on my yaris? :iono:
OR
does there exist something that attaches to the steering colum on one end and the steering wheel on the other (or something similar to that) to allow fo an extra inch or so of extension. i suppose it semi permanent, but anything would be awesome.

(side note: if anybody knows any way to allow me to rest my right foot on the tip of a gas pedal (decreasing sensitivity, or something like that) so i dont have to hold my toe up while driving, that would be great info too, but this thread was for the steering wheel info., thanks!)

Katana
10-29-2006, 06:58 AM
Personally I would not change it.

eTiMaGo
10-29-2006, 07:59 AM
I've seen spacers at the local parts shop, I'm not 100% sure they work with the stock steering wheel though. I think I know how you feel, your knees are cramped up, but your arms are just right with the wheel, right?

BMGYaris
10-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Yea, if i drive close enough to the steering wheel to have a good hold on it my legs are all cramped up, which is made worse with little thigh support from the seat. But if i kick back and relax a little bit i cant reach the steering wheel :biggrin: which is a little bit worse. so yea, an extra inch or so on the steering wheel and i figure i could get the best of both. Thanks for the replys guys, and i see some people reading, must be some yaris owners out there like me reading every post posted, dont be shy! lets hear from you! I havent seen these spacers, i found two extensions last night for a momo steering wheel and something else like a momo. What information will i need to have to make sure one fits when i get it, if there is one to get?

Katana
10-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Τhe american edition Yaris doesn't have adjustable steering wheel?

Mine can be adjusted vertically and in and out.

eTiMaGo
10-29-2006, 11:01 AM
They just go up and down here, not in and out like some fancier cars..

BMGYaris
10-29-2006, 12:00 PM
i really dont understand it at all...how expensive could a telescopic function really be to add on to the tilt function? seems several very basic things were left out of the american model that really didnt need to be, like keyless entry with a 1300 dollar pp, why the heck dont they give give us that in our 1300 dollar package... but anyway, any help on the steering wheel options would be awesome

punch
10-29-2006, 12:55 PM
i really dont understand it at all...how expensive could a telescopic function really be to add on to the tilt function? seems several very basic things were left out of the american model that really didnt need to be, like keyless entry with a 1300 dollar pp, why the heck dont they give give us that in our 1300 dollar package... but anyway, any help on the steering wheel options would be awesome

umm blocks on the peddles...

everything can be modded for a price.

BMGYaris
10-29-2006, 02:03 PM
i dont even know what blocks are, hell, 1 month ago when i first started looking at cars i didnt know about msrp and invoice differences being so important on cars..... Blocks you say?

paultyler_82
10-29-2006, 09:35 PM

I totally agree, especially considering that the US market car is what... the ONLY one without it? seems like it would be more expensive to make a part specifically for one or just a handful of markets

mikeukrainetz
10-29-2006, 11:08 PM
a lot of aftermarket wheels have a standard bolt pattern that may not match stock columns, you have to buy an adapter which may add an inch or two.
check out this link for an example

http://www.grantproducts.com/default.html

BMGYaris
10-30-2006, 09:23 PM
well i sent them a message and they said that it is against federal policy for them to even inspect a steering colum with the intent of altering the steering wheel in a steering wheel that has airbags...i guess im out of luck

mikeukrainetz
10-30-2006, 10:09 PM
So if I understand you correctly your not so much interested in a new steering wheel so much as a bit of extra length out of the stock one?
It pretty much illegal to do anything to cars these days as it alters the smog equipment or safety equipment blah blah....
Im not terribly concerned with the saftey of the airbag and want to swap my stock wheel out for aftermarket at some point just for looks. The one instance where my airbags should have gone off they didnt (headon into a cement guardrail) so maybe I just assume Ill never need it...
Anyway, I digress.
Swap out the whole assembly if you want it to fit the way youd like and possibly suffer the consequences in an accident, either by the accident itself or your insurance company.

Violin
11-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Does anyone know if this steering wheel fits our cars?

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=2&car=124&middlesmall=2%3A12&maker=&volkey=

C2AUTOSPL
11-01-2006, 12:41 PM
get an aftermarket steering wheel. Get a regular hub, a quick release, an offseted steering wheel. THe moves the steering wheel towards you by 5in or so.

BMGYaris
11-01-2006, 12:55 PM

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=2&car=124&middlesmall=2%3A12&maker=&volkey=

you guys notice that in that picture the controls for the right hand side door locks are in the same place as we have ours on the left hand side? why on earth did the move those right hand door locks to the center console in our left hand drive cars? i mean its such a strange spot, why change it from the traditional location?

bigsky2
11-26-2006, 10:58 PM

I have that same steering wheel; that's the leather wrapped steering wheel that is standard equipment on RS models.

Japan parts:
http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=1279

Mine:

Violin
11-27-2006, 02:48 PM
That would be perfect in my car and I just happen to have your address.

You don't have an alarm installed, do you?

dngz
11-27-2006, 04:56 PM
aw wtf! mine isnt leather! ive got the sedan, s package!

twiceover
11-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I have to be pretty scrunched up to reach the steering wheel also. If I slide the seat back any then I can't reach it. There's no real win-win for me. It doesn't really bother me though except in long driving situations.