PDA

View Full Version : Rare book found on toilet bookshelf

yaris-me
11-22-2009, 04:09 PM
A first edition "On the Origin of Species" was found on a toilet bookshelf.:eek:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jhUUF0KXQY4SIiIia-nEnq9IOmHAD9C4LIIO3

Kirk Cameron doesn't like the book.:laugh:
http://www.dailytech.com/AntiEvolution+Actor+Modifies+Darwins+Work+With+Que stionable+Intro/article16892.htm

Altitude
11-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Quote from article:

The controversial introduction claims Darwin's work fathered Nazi eugenics and overall misogyny. Describes Mr. Cameron, "You can see where [Hitler] clearly takes Darwin's ideas to some of their logical conclusions and compares certain races of people to lower evolutionary life forms. If you take Darwin's theory and extend it to its logical end, it can be used to justify all number of very horrendous things."

----------

Yes Kirk, clearly the Christian God and the Bible have never been used as justification for discrimination and genocide... :rolleyes:

Choose your poison.

talnlnky
11-22-2009, 07:53 PM
why is it that celebrities (read: actors) think they should be involved with anything pertinent to REAL LIFE. I mean really... you're an actor, not a Ph.D recipient.

2+2
11-22-2009, 08:52 PM
I heard someone say something interesting about religion just the other day. They pointed out that at least 2 commandments seem to be missing and asked if maybe <insert G-word> had had a bad day and forgot to mention them to <insert M-word>.

Thou shalt not abuse a child in any manner.

Thou shalt not rape.

I think these commandments should be added to the list. What do you think?

yaris-me
11-23-2009, 03:24 AM
why is it that celebrities (read: actors) think they should be involved with anything pertinent to REAL LIFE. I mean really... you're an actor, not a Ph.D recipient.

Explain that to Al Franken.:laugh:

supmet
11-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Thou shalt not rape.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

ya...... and christian's are cool with this stuff being in their bible..

TinyGiant
11-23-2009, 01:53 PM
old testement is old law. Jesus outlined new law in the new testament. The bible has huge cultural influence from the time. it was written. When Jesus came to shake things up (teach and eventually die for our sins) he freed man from the bondage of sin and the old law and outlined new law and Freedom in Christs Salvation :)

supmet
11-23-2009, 02:07 PM
old testement is old law. Jesus outlined new law in the new testament. The bible has huge cultural influence from the time. it was written. When Jesus came to shake things up (teach and eventually die for our sins) he freed man from the bondage of sin and the old law and outlined new law and Freedom in Christs Salvation :)

It is old law, inspired by god. 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is god breathed and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness. If you don't believe its true or right, how could it possibly be from god?

Second, Jesus never implicitly rewrote the rape law, or even half of the old testament law. Peter had a vision about eating unclean animals(which was coincidentally a very good political move for the early church), and that is the basis for everything you said. Nowhere else does the bible say anything in the old testament is invalid because jesus died for your sins.

Regardless of whether or not you choose to believe that part of the bible is valid, someone at some time, was raped, and then forced to marry their rapist, because of words inspired, and thus written by your god.

2+2
11-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Isn't there also a Deuteronomy that says that if a couple gets married and after the wedding night the man says that the woman was not a virgin then the girl's parents have to prove that she was, and if they can prove it the husband has to pay them silver, and if they can't then the woman is stoned to death?

2+2
11-23-2009, 07:25 PM
A little more human evolution and Darwin could have shortened his book to just one sentence. :smile:

"The kid that swallows the most marbles won't grow up and have kids of his own" - the late George Carlin.

SilverBack
11-23-2009, 10:59 PM
A little more human evolution and Darwin could have shortened his book to just one sentence. :smile:

"The kid that swallows the most marbles won't grow up and have kids of his own" - the late George Carlin.

LOL :bellyroll:

yaris-me
11-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Rare book gets $171,000.:clap:
http://www.reuters.com/article/artsNews/idUSTRE5AN54H20091124