PDA

View Full Version : Lets make a Yaris Real Fast.....

BlownYaris
11-27-2009, 01:07 AM
Hi guys-

New to this board. Hope all is well with everyone.

Happy Thanksgiving as well.

Im coming from a domestic side of all trucks....silverados, avalanches, escos etc....blown in everyway turbos and sc's.

Now.

I have been reading bunch of stuff on this board but I cant find exactly what I want to know. Maybe you guys can help me.

Whats the average whp of a supercharged Yaris out right now? STOCK motor.

Whats the average whp of a turbo'd Yaris out right now or custom setups? STOCK motor. I seen up to 300+ whp on some of them but these are worked motors.

What has been the quarter mile for these stock motors that have been SC'd or Turbo'D?

Now lets say we got the turbo custom setup, who do we use for tuning? I see emanage is that the one? or something better? Same would go for the supercharged version I take it?

I dont know which route im going to go, because I would like to get this little buddy into the low 13's high 12s with a 0-60 to 5 secs-6 secs. Best would be under 5 but I dunno. If I do a SC'd though, I will go rotrex on this. Cause its pretty much a turbo. I dont know what numbers we need whp-wise to get to this. or has anyone done this already.

I dont know what the 4 speed tranny can handle cause its auto, I dont know what the stock motor can handle. Maybe you guys can help me out on this.

I would appreciate all your inputs and whatever else you guys know about.

My idea is building a good kit for myself for a stock motor without blowing it and possibly selling it perhaps. Then once I get it done, do the motor bullet proof. I have alot of experience on doing production kits.

Money is not an issue. So whatever you guys tell me we need, its all good.

Thank you for your help guys.

Jon

kac
11-27-2009, 01:41 AM
If money is not an issue, why not re-build the engine, get it a little stronger by replacing certain internals so you can get the boost higher and then get the speeds you seek... Seems like 12's in the quater with a bone stock engine and a turbo or SC mounted to it would be pretty difficult, but it DOES sound like a fun project for you. I hope you enjoy it.

There are a lot of people here who can answer some of your questions, I just wonder if money is not an option... then i may go about it a little different.

Enjoy the yaris, and welcome to the site.
Rock On!

cali yaris
11-27-2009, 02:22 AM
You said you have a lot of experience, but you also said a rotrex is "pretty much a turbo". Those two statements don't really go together?

If money is not an issue, why would you want to keep the motor stock?

12's is not possible on an unbuilt motor, in my opinion.

yaris-me
11-27-2009, 03:19 AM
This should be real interesting. I'm all for you trying and I hope all the best.:thumbsup:

BlownYaris
11-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Rotrex was developed to be a turbo, which for the most part it is, it just runs as supercharger example being run by belts/pulleys. it has pretty much the SC low rpm power but maintains the mid and even high rpm power bands like the turbo.

Rotrez is being used by many manufacturers today, some being put on the german manufactured vehicles and many manufacturers are coming out with their vehicles rotrex based replacing traditionally their turbo based vehicles. Hence Jackson for instance a supercharger kit manufacturer has replaced their programs with a rotrex based kit/s.

The reason I want to keep the motor stock in the beginning, is to be able to take my kit and possibly turn around and sell it in the future for stock based cars and perhaps leave room for the individual to upgrade their kit and or motors.

So thats the reason I asked what would the stock motor and tranny handle at close to maximum whp....

drivability is also a concern here for example daily driving attributes.

Your motor is built for the most part Garm. But I wanted to see what we can do stock wise. and lets say the numbers are 170-220 whp on a stock motor/tranny, capability wise, what would those numbers produce on a 0-60 or perhaps on a 1/4 mile?

Hope this helps.

Thank you guys.

PS: a 5 door Yaris is what I have. Not the sedan or the 3 door.

RacerFreakXXX
11-27-2009, 11:55 AM
If you are looking for those numbers turbo is the only way to go unless you build your motor.

yaris-me
11-27-2009, 11:58 AM
I think you are a year ahead of your time. The Yaris is too new to have the following that the older cars have. The aftermarkets are geared for numbers which is not the case for the Yaris. Look to other countries that have the Yaris numbers and therefore the following. Good luck.:smile:

PETERPOOP
11-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Anything higher than 185 whp, I think you'll eventually blow up your motor.

cali yaris
11-27-2009, 01:59 PM
I had some damage after driving 8-9 months at 8psi and 183 whp on the stock motor. Cylinder 4 was showing some loss of compression. It would have eventually failed. So I think your 170-220 on the stock motor is outside the range of reliability.

I think few people have done/will do mods to their car that dramatically affect the longevity. It will take a year of "proving" a kit before people will be comfortable enough invest in it. That's why the Blitz compressor is so popular.

thebarber
11-27-2009, 02:04 PM
once you reach double the wheel horsepower, you'll run into longevity issues, i'd think

safe(ish) would be around 150whp with a turbo

the blitz kit seems generally happy around 130-135whp range w/ bolt-ons

supmet
11-27-2009, 02:27 PM
I would agree from what I've seen, 155-160 is about the most you'll get with stock internals for long periods of time.

With that said, if you can find a way to shed 600 pounds, that can still be a 12 second yaris. (maybe not with a slushbox, but it will still be close). Although to lose 600 pounds, you'd probably spend more money than building out a motor.

RacerFreakXXX
11-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Building the bottom end isn't that expensive if you are looking for those numbers however when it comes to building the valvetrain it'll cost you a small fourtune. Even at 2klbs the car with 160whp is about as fast as a stock 350z vq35hr. The car was not ment to go fast in a straight line. It's just how it is, I'm going to do N/A mods and even that sould make a massive improvement through the turns.

Most people use the blitz supercharger because it's a clutch system so you can controll your boost, which allows you to get good gas mialage when need be.

thebarber
11-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Building the bottom end isn't that expensive if you are looking for those numbers however when it comes to building the valvetrain it'll cost you a small fourtune. Even at 2klbs the car with 160whp is about as fast as a stock 350z vq35hr. The car was not ment to go fast in a straight line. It's just how it is, I'm going to do N/A mods and even that sould make a massive improvement through the turns.

Most people use the blitz supercharger because it's a clutch system so you can controll your boost, which allows you to get good gas mialage when need be.

an elise weighs 2000lbs and has 160whp stock...how fast is it? *edit is does it in 13.7s

Blown_xa
11-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Build the motor. It's weak. I have been through 5 or 6 motors, 150whp (DD dyno uncorrected) is the limit for hard driving I know this all too well. Maybe a bit more if you just plan to drag it. I was able to pull a 14.01 in the 1/4 on a stock motor, I don't think anyone has been able to touch that yet. in a stock 1nz-fe.

Build it and turbo it. Custom manifold and large turbo maybe if you want big numbers, nothing bolt-on will put down big numbers unless you run nitrous also. The HKS and Greddy kit have tiny turbos which is alright but max out around 200whp.

If you do it, race it! Rock it! there are only a handful of big number 1nz-fe's in the US that put down crazy power, but I never see them race!! Im lonely!!!

BlownYaris
11-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Interesting. Thanks for posting guys.

150-160 whp sounds good. for a stock motor.

The rotrex sc is more then sufficient to handle that even up to 600whp on virtually any motor.

Maybe a turbo might be better but I will need to look into this.

Now tranny...what mods have guys done....to hold this whp....valve bodies? tq convt? full bullet proof trannys?

Tuning- whats the best on these cars?

Thanks guys.

BTW 14.01-14.5 would be great on a 1/4 mile on this motor stock.

Thank you very much.

Jon

PETERPOOP
11-27-2009, 09:30 PM
I was able to pull a 14.01 in the 1/4 on a stock motor, I don't think anyone has been able to touch that yet. in a stock 1nz-fe.

Wasn't there a stock yaris w/ NOS in PR in the 14s or 13s?

BlownYaris
11-28-2009, 09:43 AM
I think Im going the rotrex route. Im waiting on final numbers.

We will see.

Is there any trannys that are tiptronic for auto based trannys we can upgrade too or swap?

Thanks

yaris2010RS
11-28-2009, 01:12 PM
no matter what you do, the block itself can only hold up to about 168HP before shits gonna go down

advocate
11-28-2009, 06:33 PM
whatever you do, I get the feeling I'm going to enjoy reading this thread a lot as you progress on the lonesome journey of econo-box boosting.

cali yaris
11-29-2009, 01:39 AM
no matter what you do, the block itself can only hold up to about 168HP before shits gonna go down

This number is based on what?

Nexus1155
11-29-2009, 12:01 PM
That seems like a veryy accurate number lolololol, might want to take into account that some dynos are conservative too.

If you were going to do it without "building" the engine, atleast try to get a thicker headgasket in there if you wanted to push that little bit more power so you don't have to tear apart the whole block for anything to matter...

cali yaris
11-29-2009, 12:03 PM
the lonesome journey of econo-box boosting

awesome line

lilredrocket
11-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Why use an auto tranny? I don't think and other Toyota auto tranny has upgrades but not 100% sure on that. Also not to may other trannys will bolt up. Toyota's are not like alot of other car manufactures they don't build what I like to call "Lego" cars Not a whole lot of things cross over between motors or trannys....

Good luck with the project... If you use the Rotex Kit from Power Enterprise it puts down about 145 WHP on a stock motor (I installed the kit on another members car and saw him dyno it on an AWD Mustang Dyno). The kit looks to be very easily upgraded with a small I/C and longer alt. pully (this kit runs off the alt pulley and steps down from stock size to a much smaller size where the s/c belt sits) and should put you in to the range you are looking for.

PETERPOOP
11-29-2009, 08:06 PM
He didn't make 145whp on the AWD Mustang Dyno. ;)

yaris2010RS
11-30-2009, 12:00 AM
that number is based on the block structure itself. not exactly sure if it includes components inside but all engines have a block rating. the yaris (1.5L) has a block rating of 168, the buick regal has a block rating of i belive 340ish, i was under the influence that the block rating, no matter how you rebuild it and what you put in, the structure itself will only safely hold 168HP, that dont mean you can't get it to put out 200+HP but its a ticking time bomb and money pit

cali yaris
11-30-2009, 12:52 AM
It's not the block that will fail, it's a rod or possibly a valve.
Show me a 1NZ-FE block that failed with nothing else failing first.

:iono:

Nexus1155
11-30-2009, 01:09 AM
These engines are pretty much a dime a dozen, IE: $50 on car-part as you can get them from old echos.... SCORE

cdydjded
11-30-2009, 09:57 PM
There is a lot of speculation & guestimates going on here. First to the OP, forget about an auto tranny. No one makes or ever will make a convertor or anything to make the auto handle more HP. Second, no one knows exactly what a stock block can handle or what a built block will handle. What we do know is that the highest recorded HP on a stock block I beleive was Garms (please correct me if Im wrong) @ +/-180 & the highest recorded HP on a built block (again correct me if Im wrong) @ 303. As for a turbo kit, you options are custom, Zage or modifying an xA/xB kit from Greddy or HKS. As for tuning Emanage and FIC work. Rotrex is also an option but I think you'll have a hard time getting one. If you are really going to build a "fast Yaris" just duplicate what Garm has done. He has the highest HP 1NZ here period.

cdydjded
11-30-2009, 10:04 PM
that number is based on the block structure itself. not exactly sure if it includes components inside but all engines have a block rating. the yaris (1.5L) has a block rating of 168, the buick regal has a block rating of i belive 340ish, i was under the influence that the block rating, no matter how you rebuild it and what you put in, the structure itself will only safely hold 168HP, that dont mean you can't get it to put out 200+HP but its a ticking time bomb and money pit

Im sorry but only aftermarket blocks have a block rating. And even then that is a guideline # not an exact science. I woulds be very interested in seeing where you came up with the 1.5 block rating. Also Iv owned a GN and you can make a lot more than 340 HP with that block. Also again there is no solid evidence that if you make 200+ HP it is a "ticking time bomb" And if you have it please share with us. An engine, any engine is as good and as the components used to build the engine, as good as the builder itself & the whole combination & use of the engine.

yaris2010RS
12-01-2009, 08:57 AM
the rating on the block i got from toyota, maybe its just their recomandation but i dont understand y they would low ball it. i have no idea, i dont race any cars on a track or professionally. i've seen engines fail and i have also seen blocks fail. it usually has more to do with lack of care and maintanance then too much HP. as i said in my post also, i am under the influence the rating is on the block itslef not internal parts. if you decided to put turbo, nitro, and what ever other riced out shit you could think of without rebuilding the entire motor your gonna be into problems. and i dont know about your GN but the regal has a 3.8 v6 auto tranny is rated with stock motor and tranny not to go in "over excess"(over excess is the exact wording that i was told) of the block rating of 340ish (i dont exactly remember if it was low or high 340's)

so after saying that, let me rephrase my statement, the engine rating of the yaris stock 1.5L is 168HP, over that without a complete engine project will definatly give you a new engine project.

why?
12-01-2009, 10:31 AM
but i dont understand y they would low ball it.

Really?:iono:

cdydjded
12-01-2009, 11:22 AM
the rating on the block i got from toyota
Toyota directly, like you called Toyota & spoke to a customer service rep?
A Toyota salesman?
A Toyota mechanic?
the rating is on the block itslef not internal parts
Again I dont know where you are getting this info from, but the block is the least of you worries, you will break a rod or piston way befor the block
if you decided to put turbo, nitro, and what ever other riced out shit
American cars also use turbos & N20, are they ricers also?
without rebuilding the entire motor your gonna be into problems
Why? Why cant you boost an engine 5lbs and drive it like it was not boosted
and i dont know about your GN but the regal has a 3.8 v6 auto tranny is rated with stock motor and tranny not to go in "over excess"(over excess is the exact wording that i was told) of the block rating of 340ish (i dont exactly remember if it was low or high 340's)
FYI, a GN is a Regal with a turbo 3.8 V6
so after saying that, let me rephrase my statement, the engine rating of the yaris stock 1.5L is 168HP
Sorry but that is not a fact, that is speculation. Please try not to spread incorrect information. There are enough confused members here already.

RacerFreakXXX
12-01-2009, 02:07 PM
IDK why anyone is worrying about the block or anything like that. If he isn't gonna build the engine and wants to push the limit I'd assume he'd want to do under 180whp. The question is how much is just right. I'm assuming about 160-170 would be the max and is plenty fast enough.

cali yaris
12-01-2009, 02:40 PM
if you decided to put turbo, nitro, and what ever other riced out shit you could think of

A turbo is "riced out shit"? -- you just lost 100% of my respect right there, sir.

RacerFreakXXX
12-01-2009, 03:25 PM
OUCH! you know you crossed the line when you piss Garm off.

Nexus1155
12-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Damn then apparently my Audi has twice the amount of rice :-/

PETERPOOP
12-01-2009, 05:03 PM
if you decided to put turbo, nitro, and what ever other riced out shit....

What an idiotic statement. The things you listed are actually the complete opposite of "RICE."

Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements.......

So turbo diesel trucks are riced out?

Saskatchewan17
12-02-2009, 01:54 AM
So it looks like you can't really push the stock block much past 150 WHP without problems with the internals.
12 second Yaris? Not gonna happen unless you have a built engine/turbo, stripped interior, and drag slicks. Even then... I don't know. Launching a FWD car is tricky stuff. I know you can't break into the 12s in an MS3 unless you are fully bolted on and a fantastic driver... or have slicks.
Also, when do you have to up the injector size on the Yaris, and when do you run into fuel pump problems? How much possible WHP can you make on an NA motor?

yaris2010RS
12-05-2009, 01:55 AM
i'm sorry, but a yaris with a turbo for everyday driving is riced out. my definition of riced out is un needed upgrades not gonna lie, i didn't know there was an actual deffinition. some cars come with a turbo, they are designed to work with a turbo but we are not talking about trucks or other cars, this is about a yaris. for me, work and back, school and back, a turbo on a yaris is a waste, if your gonna race, okay, put a turbo in. it all depends what you plan on doing. yes this is fourm is talking about making a yaris 12 seconds but without total engine mod it can not handle anymore then (i'll even stretch the limit) 200HP, it will blow up. since everyone has a smart ass remark, how else would you get a stock 1.5 L to over 168 HP without rebuilding it and modding it? and as i said before i have no idea what the block 168HP rating is, maybe its the ideal running HP everyone should get their car to, i simply stated there is a rating of 168 HP on the block, take it, do what you want with it. and without lots and lots of engine mods, you will never get a 1.5L over 200HP. driving a yaris with 200HP we are gonna have to send a search party for you on the moon. as i say over and over, revise it a little more at a time, the engine conponents are rated to 168HP, yes you could get away with 170, maybe even 180, after that, toyota has nothing to do with the failure of the engine. if you want to keep it from failure, rebuild the entire thing. yes you can put w.e mods you want and drive like they are not there but whats the point? really it all comes down to you, its your car, your money, the fourms are about sharing knowledge and trying to help out.

yaris2010RS
12-05-2009, 01:57 AM
i am completly down with making a yaris real fast, but most of the stock engine parts will not take the super HP, pray as much as you like, its not changing anytihng about the engine

Brad D
12-06-2009, 01:28 AM
its more about the tune i bet with most of the engine failures you guys are seeing. with a good tune i bet this motor could see over 200whp all day long.

lilredrocket
12-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I had some damage after driving 8-9 months at 8psi and 183 whp on the stock motor. Cylinder 4 was showing some loss of compression. It would have eventually failed.

Yaris2010RS you make it seem like it is going to ust blow up on you the second you punch the gass for the first time. How come Cali got 8-9 months over your stated block rating that you won't share exactly how you got. He also said that it would have failed eventually be in 8-9 months is a long enough time to have a seperate motor on the side being built up with upgraded internals.

Also if you think any extra mods you car doesn't need what are your plans with your car?... Are you going to keep it completely stock? Because the Yaris has everything to be a running vehical as is and will last a long time, so according to you any thing someone adds to or changes on their car is "rice". Why are you in a F/I thread if you think that a turbo on a Yaris is "rice"?

Blown_xa
12-06-2009, 01:02 PM
I think what he was getting at, is that it is rice to spend all that $ to turbo a Yaris just to drive it to work and back. I can agree with that, we are talking about a economy car with a $12-15k price tag. Dropping Over $3k in the motor or more is kind of crazy just to get more pep out of it UNLESSS you actually plan to utilize that power for what it is meant for... to race.

The flipside is the aftermarket industry would be super weak if only racers bought performance parts.

The only person other than myself from what I have seen on this forum who utilizes the extra power seems to be Tamango.

Even hitting up the dragstrip every once and a while is ok. Spending $ to build a motor and turbo kit just to post up whp numbers IMO is not
$ well spent. If you want to get to 7-11 faster there are better ways

Brad D
12-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Every motor people think has a set limit untill someone pushes it.. Same thing happened with the KA-t.. people thought it would not hold past 300whp.. now guys have hit 500.. the 350Z people thought you would need a sleaved block to make any real power.. now people make 1000whp with a stock block with forged pistons and rods...

here is a civic with a non v-tech B18 that we pulled out of the junk yard.. build up a turbo kit and gave it a good tune, we ran the car and draged raced it for two years. one day we got gready and added more power.. the tunner said "today is the day its going to blow" and yep on the dyon we overpowered the cylinder wall.. but guess what the pistons were fine.. you could of reused them.... this was at 375ft.lbs.. that is the limit for that block stock.

here is a a vid, we got it down to 11.1 on a stock motor... never opened up
http://www.youtube.com/user/chummimc#p/u/28/1eonKVSNOtI

PETERPOOP
12-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Dropping Over $3k in the motor or more is kind of crazy just to get more pep out of it UNLESSS you actually plan to utilize that power for what it is meant for... to race.

If you want to get to 7-11 faster there are better ways

Good thing everyone doesn't have your logic. You don't HAVE to just race. If you were, why even build up a yaris or xA to purely race. That'd be stupid.

Want to know the beautiful thing about the yaris? You can still be boosted and have a great DD that makes 35+ MPG to 7-11; atleast I can.

The only person other than myself from what I have seen on this forum who utilizes the extra power seems to be Tamango.

Tamango has a NA xA, but drives his hair stylist mobile nowadays. He's trying to sell or sold his xA.

Blown_xa
12-06-2009, 05:45 PM
hmm so he removed his turbo set up? He had a whole thread on the Scion forum about his boosted set-up.

Im not talking about building a race car, but spending a lot of money to make power should have a purpose other than for daily driving. My car is a daily driver, been racing it HARD since 5000 miles on the odo, it now has 102,000 miles on it. And it gave me 34mpg on a recent trip. 200 miles using 6.05 gallons of gas.

Blown_xa
12-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Good thing everyone doesn't have your logic. You don't HAVE to just race. If you were, why even build up a yaris or xA to purely race. That'd be stupid.

Want to know the beautiful thing about the yaris? You can still be boosted and have a great DD that makes 35+ MPG to 7-11; atleast I can.

Tamango has a NA xA, but drives his hair stylist mobile nowadays. He's trying to sell or sold his xA.

the Blitz set up you have will def provide good gas mileage because it uses the factory injectors, it runs lean under boost though but it was never a prob ( I use to have that set up) because the Blitz box was probably pulling back a good amount of timing. I got the same mileage tho even with it turned off because it only puts out 54whp lol do to the restriction of the roots blades.

I never seen a Blitz set-up put down more than 121whp though on our dyno. It wasnt until I introduced nitrous that I was semi satified. The whole belt issue and sheering crank pulley pins got annoying so I got rid of the supercharger set-up. Using the round end of a good 1/8th ince drill bit provided a good upgrade to combat shearing the crank pulley pin. I was the one who came up with that idea years ago.

Here's a link to Tamango's old thread http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118234 cool ideas by him. Im assuming we are talking about the same guy. Good to see people autocrossing and utilizing their upgrades, I just wish I'd see more of you guys do that. There are a couple of Yaris' around here that autocross but havent seen one on a road coarse yet. There was a Turbo Fit at the time attack in NJ this past summer, I was excited to see that cause I didnt feel alone for once lol.

PETERPOOP
12-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Tamango took off his turbo kit awhile ago; thus why it's a NA xA.

My blitz kit made 140whp with 135 tq before i put on a custom overdrive crank pulley which added a couple more lbs of boost and made me at 136whp/140 tq. This was done in Hawaii weather on a dynojet. However, I am going to retune with the ultimate and tune accordingly for more power. I'm also installing a meth/water injection kit; and i have 1zz injectors and run 11-12 AFR at WOT. Nothing lean going on over here.

Im not talking about building a race car, but spending a lot of money to make power should have a purpose other than for daily driving.

In your mind it should.

why?
12-06-2009, 07:54 PM
there is nothing wrong with doing something just because you can.

cali yaris
12-06-2009, 08:04 PM
i'm sorry, but a yaris with a turbo for everyday driving is riced out.

For YOU. Not for me. Your intolerance for other's projects is what's so lame.

my definition of riced out is un needed upgrades

oh I see. Like the upgrades on your RS model?

[unsubscribed]

AlexNet0
12-06-2009, 10:06 PM
yes this is fourm is talking about making a yaris 12 seconds but without total engine mod it can not handle anymore then (i'll even stretch the limit) 200HP, it will blow up

you are just blowing smoke. why dont you take the time to read most of the previous posts on the engine builds that people have done with the STOCK block on here.

there is more than one member that has the stock block over 200 tuned.

and its nitrous, not nitro. lol

Blown_xa
12-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Tamango took off his turbo kit awhile ago; thus why it's a NA xA.

My blitz kit made 140whp with 135 tq before i put on a custom overdrive crank pulley which added a couple more lbs of boost and made me at 136whp/140 tq. This was done in Hawaii weather on a dynojet. However, I am going to retune with the ultimate and tune accordingly for more power. I'm also installing a meth/water injection kit; and i have 1zz injectors and run 11-12 AFR at WOT. Nothing lean going on over here.

In your mind it should.

good upgrades. The overdrive pulley is a cool idea im glad somebody made it!
WMI will give you good results.

And yeah, it is my opinion about the racing. But I can voice it right? Don't place me as the bad guy because I believe something. I just would like to see 1.5's beat up on Evos and such on the track. Performance parts are developed for a performance enviornment. But anyone can enjoy extra performance anywhere it's all good. It's much more enjoyable on the track tho as I discovered.

136whp on a dynojet sounds about right. A typical Dynojet reads about 12% higher than our dyno. So that's about 119.

xen555
12-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Wasn't there a stock yaris w/ NOS in PR in the 14s or 13s?

the yaris in the 14s is the yaris with corolla's engine

RacerFreakXXX
12-06-2009, 11:20 PM
I really think everyone has the wrong idea of a Yaris (and a lot of Japanese cars). I give Garm a lot of credit for what he did but, a Yaris with 120whp can out handle a lot of things on a track. The car is meant for windy roads not going fast down a straight. If that's your goal go buy a new 2010 Camaro v6 for 23k or a used v8 mustang and call it a day.

PETERPOOP
12-07-2009, 12:35 AM
136whp on a dynojet sounds about right. A typical Dynojet reads about 12% higher than our dyno. So that's about 119.

Well we wouldn't really know unless i dynod the same day/same time on a dynojet, then your guy's dyno. However, I know what you are saying.

And most people on here who have dyno'd their blitz kit have not even reached 133whp. So you suggesting that 136whp and what i previously hit before the pulley (140whp) is common for the blitz, I don't think it is. Atleast from the evidence shown so far.

ps: I just got the meth kit installed and running.

the yaris in the 14s is the yaris with corolla's engine

I know about that yaris; however, i remember reading somewhere about a yaris using nitrous that was in the low 14s or maybe even 13s? There was definately one in the states that I believe was in the 14s with just nitrous. He ended up blowing his engine on the strip. He posted a video of it somewhere on this site. He didn't want to say how he had the nitrous set up...

anonymous user
12-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Hey, where did the O.P. go??

This looks like a pissing contest btw racers and ricers. My opinions are similar to those that race. I purchase all my cars with the intention of racing them. My yaris was mostly for the great fuel economy though, but i still have the itch. I am a firm believer that you could spend $4k to make a car fast, or $4k to make the driver fast. After that, the fast driver would have gotten more out of his investment that the one who put parts.

But we are sidestepping the point of this thread. Which is making a yaris "real fast...".
So my gatherings are that most of you like to build drag power, or atleast that's what the O.P. wanted.
I've set and broken enough goals at the 1320. You can't have both auto-x car and 1/4mi beast. So now i build and race solo cars (well we have no track since 2006).

Blown_xa
12-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Well we wouldn't really know unless i dynod the same day/same time on a dynojet, then your guy's dyno. However, I know what you are saying.

And most people on here who have dyno'd their blitz kit have not even reached 133whp. So you suggesting that 136whp and what i previously hit before the pulley (140whp) is common for the blitz, I don't think it is. Atleast from the evidence shown so far.

ps: I just got the meth kit installed and running.

I know about that yaris; however, i remember reading somewhere about a yaris using nitrous that was in the low 14s or maybe even 13s? There was definately one in the states that I believe was in the 14s with just nitrous. He ended up blowing his engine on the strip. He posted a video of it somewhere on this site. He didn't want to say how he had the nitrous set up...

sweet. Post results. What kit did you get? nozzle size? I agree with the whp numbers, it is all relative unless everyone goes to the same dyno in the same enviornment.

cdydjded
12-07-2009, 09:14 PM
we are talking about a economy car with a $12-15k price tag
92-95 Civics were around the same price new & the are the most modified & fastest FWD around.

cdydjded
12-07-2009, 09:18 PM
YARIS2010RS: I simply stated there is a rating of 168 HP on the block This is not true, please stop saying this. You cant prove this statement. No one can. This is speculation, no one know the limits of the 1NZ.

Blown_xa
12-07-2009, 09:31 PM
we are talking about a economy car with a $12-15k price tag
92-95 Civics were around the same price new & the are the most modified & fastest FWD around.
right on. true. I see them at the track though. They have there place in import history because they hit the tracks. Nothing is proven on the street. They can be made into great auto cross cars, track cars, and drag cars.

I wanna see Yaris' out there!!!! :)

cdydjded
12-07-2009, 09:33 PM
yaris2010RS: i'm sorry, but a yaris with a turbo for everyday driving is riced out. my definition of riced out is un needed upgrades not gonna lie, i didn't know there was an actual deffinition
Did you find this "actual definition" in a websters dictionary?

this is about a yaris. for me, work and back, school and back, a turbo on a yaris is a waste
This is the same thing that was said 10yrs ago about Hondas & how wrong the ignorant were

without total engine mod it can not handle anymore then (i'll even stretch the limit) 200HP, it will blow up
Upgrading the pistons & rods ONLY will let you go over 200hp with out a problem with a turbo kit

since everyone has a smart ass remark, how else would you get a stock 1.5 L to over 168 HP without rebuilding it and modding it?
A stock 1NZ with a turbo kit on 6-8lbs will make 168hp all day long

and without lots and lots of engine mods, you will never get a 1.5L over 200HP.
Sorry but your completly wrong, A good turbo kit, pistons, rods & a AEM FIC or Emanage is all you need

driving a yaris with 200HP we are gonna have to send a search party for you on the moon
the search is over, come to Miami Florida

the engine conponents are rated to 168HP, yes you could get away with 170, maybe even 180, after that, toyota has nothing to do with the failure of the engine
Once you turbo, supercharge, N2O or change the internals Toyota voids the warrenty, the power is not the determening factor

cdydjded
12-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Nothing is proven on the street.
Here in MIA we used tp street race alot, so trust me, alot was proved on the street many years ago, now street racing here is a joke

Blown_xa
12-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Here in MIA we used tp street race alot, so trust me, alot was proved on the street many years ago, now street racing here is a joke

Street racing is a joke, period. "Oh man last weekend some dude in a Civic with this hochie gf smoked this dude in a mustang cobra spraying a hundred shot" --------Wow. Is that how Ferarri got their name? No :smile: No trying to piss u off, just making a point.

Brad D
12-08-2009, 01:13 AM
We do 400whp max on a stock block B18 hondas around here.. after that its off to get sleaved. I bet the toyota would beabout the same.. but without good tuning options not many people will push it IMO

why?
12-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Street racing is a joke, period. "Oh man last weekend some dude in a Civic with this hochie gf smoked this dude in a mustang cobra spraying a hundred shot" --------Wow. Is that how Ferarri got their name? No :smile: No trying to piss u off, just making a point.

That is how honda got their name though.

yaris2010RS
12-08-2009, 09:45 AM
okay, so i have been trying to find my source for the block rating and have so far been unsuccessful. i read it online from a toyota nut but i have no idea what the site was. as for my clame on the regal, i was also wrong, lol, it currently has 430HP and the block and set up is rated to just over 700HP (and what was said before, it is an aftermarket set up) i do stand by my clame that without rebuilding and reinforcing the internal engine components, it will blow. if you can manage to get your stock 1.5l to over 200HP without new parts, i wouldn't trust it. the way i drive with the stock 106HP, if i had anywhere close too 200HP, with the style and design of the car, yes, i would crash on the moon. as has been stated before, i also disagree with making a yaris a strip car(same with civics for that matter) a track car would be much more logical for the yaris if you were to race it. if i ever find the website again, i will post it. but as i have no supporting proof i have to take a bow. and cdydjded, for the record, pistons, rods & a AEM FIC or Emanage count as engine mods. my entire posts were based for external engine mod (no internal components changed) the car will not run over 200 HP, if you replace all the innerworkings of the engine i never see the block failing.

But till i get a hold of that website, i take a bow on the argument of the block rating being 168HP

chongopants
12-08-2009, 10:23 AM
an elise weighs 2000lbs and has 160whp stock...how fast is it? *edit is does it in 13.7s

My yaris weighs 2000lbs or less after I have lightened it, and I am at about 115whp, so what does that mean I should be at?:iono:

Blown_xa
12-08-2009, 08:17 PM
It is not, although im not bashing you for thinking so. Honda got known from motorcycles, and Formula 1 racing is what promoted their automoblie line up since the 1960's.

The Civic itself was found to be a good track car do to it's double wishbone suspension which was never before found on a sub compact (early models).

There is a lot a racing heritage from Honda, it's all over the net, Touring car championships, drag racing records, famous drivers. All of that is what Honda is backed by and they use racing teams to give them feedback on prototype technology. The Si is sport induced, not street racing induced.

The Civic was a prime canidate for the newer generation to get their hands on and modify because it is inexpensive and known to have a good power to weight ratio. But even before the tuner market embraced the Civic, it already had it's mark in the motorsports community, that is where it derived from. 1960's Formula 1. The only name Honda Civic made for itself on the street.... Ricer.

In order for a car to make it's mark, it has to earn respect. Streetracing is not good, people who race on the street are inherantly slow in a real racing situation, I see it all the time. There is no way to push a car's limits on the street other than punching the gas pedal for a few seconds. People who think they are fast on the street are slapped with reality when they attend a track day or autocross. Those all season tires and Megan racing / Ksport coil-overs are better off in the trash can as they find out. The quickest Civic on the street (cosidering street racing is all they know) will get smoked by a 80whp Miata on a track (considering driver races on tracks)... I see it all the time. It's very amusing.

I would love to see Garm (love his set-up) attend a time attack once at least. Im sure that will turn more heads and make a dent in history for the Yaris. More so than telling a story about some street race one weekend once upon a time... talking to the guy at the bar drinking a beer next to you.

why?
12-08-2009, 10:26 PM
you are talking about world wide stuff. Stuff that meant little in the USA.

All the earliest import drag races were on the street. When they finally got a little popular and some respect, then they went legal. But almost all of the earliest import racers in the USA were street racers.

And they all chose the civic. The import tuner crowd gave honda the money they needed to make themselves a decent car company in the us. They might've had a world wide name, but that means nothing here.

Now you can say you dislike street racing, or that it does nothing, but that simply shows a lack of understanding of how organized it can be.

You also show a disliking for drag racing. Hate it or not, it is how the import tuning thing took flight in the usa. You cannot argue that drag racing is not a legitimate sport.

Time Attacks are completely different beasts. It would be cool to see a Yaris or two there. Man, if only i had the cash...

Blown_xa
12-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Never said I hated drag racing. I hit up the dragstrip myself, although it is not nearly as fun as the twisties.. Streetracing is just plain stupid. Organized? 3 beeps and punching the gas isnt organization.

I was huge into the streetracing scene in 2000=2001 and will never go back, heck most the cars that are fast won't even pass a tech inspection. I started here in the D.C. area, and then raced at Rankin Road, one of the most famous streetracing spots in the midwest. I did the streetracing thing there in Houston while I attended school (UTI). All I had was a Maxima with a 100 shot and I beat most the street cars there. It pissed a group off one night because I beat every car except one (Trans Am with 150 shot). If people think you are hiding or lying about the mods on your car it tends to stir things up, espescially when you race for $$$. I ended up getting car-jacked by gunpoint by a competitor... yeah real organized like you say. A month later I found one of the guys that jacked me in the crowd as I rolled through the races with intention on finding them. I found them, but couldnt do squat because if you throw a punch or pull out a knife or gun there... it doesnt matter why, everyone jumps you. I ended my streetracing days in 2003 in Southern California after racing a car showcased by a local performance shop, I beat it. I finally realized that streetracing was stupid and there is NOTHING to be gained from it.

You will never exceed being a streetracer. Sponsers don't aproach streetracers, they don't want to be asociated with that. When I went legit and started dragracing, then went to autocrosses, then time attacks, good things happened. I work where I work because of it, and got sponsered because of it. I never had to pay for one entrance fee or hotel expense for racing in 2007-2008.

Streetracing is for thugs and racer wanna bees.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Streetmix-street-racing_748.htm
here is a clip of Rankin Rd.

Look how "organized "it is, people inches from cars doing 100mph, guys runs right in front of cars. I even witnessed a near fatal accident as some fool in a s10 was showboating his haudralics and decided to pull right into oncoming racers.

look how organized it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ7A3Errqso

I dont know any car manufacture who wants to be tied to that.

I can understand your point of view, a young person tends to focus on what is cool and what is in the video games, and Fast and Furious. If that helps sell Civics than cool. I have no doubt that it helped.

So now you see, I understand streetracing, more than you. I have been there and done that. Maybe you can understand where I am coming from now. I have been racing around the country, illegally and legally. So im pretty sure I understand what Im talking about, it seemed like you called me out for not having experience in the streetracing scene... so there you go my lil 1.5 buddy.

kngrsll
12-09-2009, 08:13 PM

HAHAHA

honda made a name in the US through STREET RACING?? thats awesome dude...

jekqmb
12-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Man its a Yaris, making it fast is kind of pointless, unless you auto-x or time attack....Im just doing cosmetic mods, some nitrous and making this baby slammed and looking hella flush hehe

cdydjded
12-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Man its a Yaris, making it fast is kind of pointless, unless you auto-x or time attack....Im just doing cosmetic mods, some nitrous and making this baby slammed and looking hella flush hehe

Is it pointless to make a 92-00 Civic fast? If so then why do so many people do it?

PETERPOOP
12-13-2009, 07:49 PM

So you are going to do auto-x or time attack with your nitrous? If not, that's "kind of a pointless."

jekqmb
12-13-2009, 09:50 PM
So you are going to do auto-x or time attack with your nitrous? If not, that's "kind of a pointless."

No just alittle more power if i want it and more for looks then anything.....The Yaris has body lines of a car that can be dumped on a sick set of wheels and pull it off. Its a car you can go a few different ways with style wise, Euro or JDM. Its however not a car that is made for a straight line, civics have been around for Years and years and they have been tuning them for years and years. The Yaris is well just a Yaris that really doesnt get any credit here in the states.

PETERPOOP
12-13-2009, 10:59 PM
that is pointless..

chongopants
12-14-2009, 06:33 PM

says the guy who drives a car from a company thats out of business(unless u count the little penske buy, i dont they r gone):bs: