PDA

View Full Version : Yoda's Turbo Log

Pages : [1] 2

Yoda
02-16-2010, 04:48 PM
So yea this will be the thread i will keep in regards to everything turbo relative to my car.
As an update still waiting on my return:mad: the person that does it for me made a mistake and had to redo it:mad::cry:.

In preparation for my turbo i am doing more research. What gauges do you guys
think is NEEDED to accurately monitor my engine?

Here is what i have so far on my list that i am picking up next week:
Turbo timer
Boost gauge
EGT***
Oil Pressure

*** heard its more accurate than A/F gauge cause leaded gas fouls them over time ***

Anyway form your experience guys help me out here lol

Abodame99
02-16-2010, 04:51 PM
should get egt for each cylinder, that would be cool

cali yaris
02-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Air/fuel is far more critical than EGT (they are completely different)
water temp
IF the turbo is water cooled (and it should be) you won't need a turbo timer.

02-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Air/fuel is far more critical than EGT (they are completely different)
water temp
IF the turbo is water cooled (and it should be) you won't need a turbo timer.

ditto this: Air/fuel is far more critical than EGT

air/fuel is the #1.

egt -was- probed before a/f sensors were perfected.

Yoda
02-16-2010, 07:52 PM
ok kool. i guess my info on the egt was a bit outdated.
what brand do you recommend thats not just there for looks. i could care less if its all flashly lights and makes sound. need something accurate

Thanks in advance for the help

DerFlosser
02-16-2010, 09:41 PM
EGT is good instrumentation but not very helpful unless it's being data logged against the other 3 cylinders. EGT can tell you a few different thingsn but AFR is the number one reading for tuning and combustion efficiency. If you are able to instrument all four cylinders for EGT, then you might be able to tweak your tuning to gain some more or less depending on the risk you are looking to take. Then, of course, tuning on a dyno and tuning for what's on the real road is a whole other story. I'd say most important are as follows, in order:

1. AFR
2. Oil Pressure
3. Boost

Yoda
02-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Sad news.... My tax return was not as sexy as it was before(they took off $1.5k the tax guy confused mine with some1 else:mad:).... So the Zage kit is whats on the menu lol. Did my research on the kit and spoke to some other forum people( subaru,swift,honda) They all say its a good starting point. The main short coming is the turbo. It is oil cooled not water and is not ball-bearing :redface: I can live with that. Most report that after a year or so the turbo starts to fail and they replace it. On rare occasions some even reported boost creeps but thats when they had a turbo back exhaust.

I will be ordering the kit next week hopefully:biggrin: Installation seems fairly easy:rolleyes:

I am really happy it comes with an oil pan.

So to add to the list for this kit i will need:
injectors
spark plugs - maybe
BOV looks - very inferior
New turbo - some time later
e-manage - pretty cheap on ebay:biggrin:
Anthing else, questions, concerns, let me kno. I am getting boosted next month thats one thing for sure.

Heres the Zage parts list

cali yaris
02-18-2010, 12:20 PM
It is oil cooled not water and is not ball-bearing I can live with that. Most report that after a year or so the turbo starts to fail and they replace it. On rare occasions some even reported boost creeps but thats when they had a turbo back exhaust.

If you're comfortable with that track record, then you are good to go.

6psi internal wastegate?

And make real sure it's not a downpipe for an xB, because that will hit your subframe.

Yoda
02-18-2010, 12:25 PM
If you're comfortable with that track record, then you are good to go.

6psi internal wastegate?

And make real sure it's not a downpipe for an xB, because that will hit your subframe.

They say the down pipe fits. As for the wastegate have not asked about that yet. Hopefully Ancla will give me a good deal on their kit now that i let them know that there is competition and sponsor me to some extent:biggrin:

cali yaris
02-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Who is going to wire and tune the eManage?

Yoda
02-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Who is going to wire and tune the eManage?

i have a tuner best in all of central florida. cft ftw

Yoda
02-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Looking to pick up the emanage now. From looking around some i found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Greddy-emanage-with-ignition-harness-and-support-tool_W0QQitemZ120531213354QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotor s_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c10385c2a# ht_500wt_956

what ya think?

cali yaris
02-21-2010, 12:29 PM
It's an eManage, yup :D

cdydjded
02-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Yoda: I would like to advise on some issues with the Zage kit:

1) The oil pan it comes with has the return bung in a very awkward position. It is positioned towards the front of the car. What happens here is that when your oil return line comes out from the turbo its route is straight down, which is what you want, but then you have to route it foward almost parallel to the ground, which is not good. A proper return line route should as strait as possible. I know this cause I have there pan on my car.

2) The AFM is mounted to the inlet of the turbo, which means is sucks through the AFM. I feel its better to blow through the AFM, just my opinion.

3) The routing of the I/C pipes is under the car. If your car is lowered you are going to have clearance issues.

Issues 2 & 3 are small, but issue 1 is a big deal. Im not trying to have you not buy their kit, Im just trying to make you aware & help you out.

Yoda
02-22-2010, 03:28 PM
no prob thx for the advice. 2&3 i knew about. we are here to help each other so thanks for the info. my question is what adverse effects can take place from the oil return being like that? shorter life of the turbo? if its a detrimental problem then i will just tap my own where i want it. if some of you who have turbos can show me where your tap and lines are that would be helpful.

at work so i am typing this up on my phone. sorry for any grammatical errors

cali yaris
02-22-2010, 03:57 PM
I tapped mine into the lower part of the block (that serves as the top of the "pan"). Our pan is so shallow!

cdydjded
02-22-2010, 04:22 PM
I tapped mine into the lower part of the block (that serves as the top of the "pan"). Our pan is so shallow!

Im going to redo mine the same way. I just took a chance with the Zage oil pan to see if it works.

cdydjded
02-22-2010, 04:32 PM
no prob thx for the advice. 2&3 i knew about. we are here to help each other so thanks for the info. my question is what adverse effects can take place from the oil return being like that? shorter life of the turbo? if its a detrimental problem then i will just tap my own where i want it. if some of you who have turbos can show me where your tap and lines are that would be helpful.

at work so i am typing this up on my phone. sorry for any grammatical errors

The problem is the following, the oil feed is high pressure in, the return is low pressure gravity feed. What is happening since the return is low in the pan it uses the suction of the oil pump to flow oil. When you are accelarating there is no problem, high pressure in, suction through the oil pan. But at low speeds or between shifts there is not enough suction/flow out of the turbo so you get oil creaping through the seals in the turbo. At that give a little puff of smoke through the exhaust. The best way is up high in the top part of the pan. That way the oil will just flow out of the turbo & into the top of the pan above the oil in the pan.

Tamago
02-22-2010, 06:17 PM
2) The AFM is mounted to the inlet of the turbo, which means is sucks through the AFM. I feel its better to blow through the AFM, just my opinion.

if it were better to blow through the AFM, don't you think Subaru would have done this on their STI? (same part number MAF as the yaris)

Tamago
02-22-2010, 06:20 PM
The problem is the following, the oil feed is high pressure in, the return is low pressure gravity feed. What is happening since the return is low in the pan it uses the suction of the oil pump to flow oil. When you are accelarating there is no problem, high pressure in, suction through the oil pan. But at low speeds or between shifts there is not enough suction/flow out of the turbo so you get oil creaping through the seals in the turbo. At that give a little puff of smoke through the exhaust. The best way is up high in the top part of the pan. That way the oil will just flow out of the turbo & into the top of the pan above the oil in the pan.

i ran a -8 return line directly into my pan with absolutely no flow problems.. welded a -8 JIC 90deg fitting facing backwards to the "side" of the pan. proper return line sizing is more of an issue than where the oil flows to.

cdydjded
02-22-2010, 06:23 PM
When going from non turbo to turbo, my opinion is that it is better to blow through than suck through. I used the advise & extensive Toyota knowledge of Lance from Toyomoto & Brandon from PSI Racing. Subaru can put the AFM where ever they want & so can I.

Tamago
02-22-2010, 06:23 PM
When going from non turbo to turbo, my opinion is that it is better to blow through than suck through. I used the advise & extensive Toyota knowledge of Lance from Toyomoto & Brandon from PSI Racing. Subaru can put the AFM where ever they want & so can I.

:clap:

fair enough. as long as your IAT's aren't through the roof post-turbo, i'm sure the stock MAF will be just fine

cdydjded
02-22-2010, 06:27 PM
i ran a -8 return line directly into my pan with absolutely no flow problems.. welded a -8 JIC 90deg fitting facing backwards to the "side" of the pan. proper return line sizing is more of an issue than where the oil flows to.

I also have a -8 return line. But as you stated you welded the bung on the side on the pan, the Zage pan has the hole in the front of the pan in a 45 degree angle.

Tamago
02-22-2010, 06:42 PM
I also have a -8 return line. But as you stated you welded the bung on the side on the pan, the Zage pan has the hole in the front of the pan in a 45 degree angle.

well that's just dumb of them lol..

Yoda
02-22-2010, 09:02 PM
umm ok you have to remember i am noob to this whole oil pan thing. So are there two taps in the oil pan? one for feed one for return? Are you sayin that the return line needs to be further up the top of the oil pan so gravity can take the oil from the turbo back down to the pan?
So if the oil flow through the return is not good it can lead to a build up in the turbo and will breach through the seals?
Would like to get it right the first time...synthetic oil not cheap lol.

Again pictures whould really help clear it up when you guys have the time:biggrin:

Tamago
02-23-2010, 12:09 PM
umm ok you have to remember i am noob to this whole oil pan thing. So are there two taps in the oil pan? one for feed one for return? Are you sayin that the return line needs to be further up the top of the oil pan so gravity can take the oil from the turbo back down to the pan?
So if the oil flow through the return is not good it can lead to a build up in the turbo and will breach through the seals?
Would like to get it right the first time...synthetic oil not cheap lol.

Again pictures whould really help clear it up when you guys have the time:biggrin:

the feed should come off the front of the engine, where the oil pressure switch is.

Yoda
02-23-2010, 04:07 PM
have no idea where the heck that is....i am thinking this part of the install gonna give me the most problems

cali yaris
02-23-2010, 05:31 PM
^ the Yaris service manuals are your friends, you should be sleeping with them under your pillow. :smile:

Yoda
02-23-2010, 10:49 PM
lol ha will do

Yoda
02-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Having a bit of problems getting back in contact with zage.... No response to email and number not working. Can someone else try. I need a final price on the kit

Tamago
02-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Having a bit of problems getting back in contact with zage.... No response to email and number not working. Can someone else try. I need a final price on the kit

1. buy the HKS kit
2. have a local shop (CFT) modify the downpipe
3. have CFT tune it
4. DONE

i feel like i repeat myself a LOT in the forced induction forum here..

Yoda
02-24-2010, 03:57 PM
1. buy the HKS kit
2. have a local shop (CFT) modify the downpipe
3. have CFT tune it
4. DONE

i feel like i repeat myself a LOT in the forced induction forum here..

what hks kit?

BLAZINBLUEVITZ
02-24-2010, 03:58 PM
^ scion xb.....

Tamago
02-24-2010, 04:01 PM
what hks kit?

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16970&highlight=hks+scion

Yoda
02-24-2010, 04:01 PM
whats the best price you seen it at? cause i am rolling around on 2.5k.

Tamago
02-24-2010, 04:05 PM
whats the best price you seen it at? cause i am rolling around on 2.5k.

around that.

you should be rolling on $5000 if you want to set up a $2500 turbo kit.

Tamago
02-24-2010, 04:07 PM
http://www.energyspeed.com/servlet/the-26543/HKS-Bolt-dsh-On-Turbo-Kit/Detail

cali yaris
02-24-2010, 05:10 PM
you should be rolling on $5000 if you want to set up a $2500 turbo kit.

ain't THAT the truth!!

Yoda
02-24-2010, 05:12 PM
:( sadface. Either way its gonna happen that much i am sure

Yoda
02-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Just an update ordering the zage kit next week sunday.... price is $1880 USD

mark7337
02-28-2010, 08:23 PM
keep us updated cause been looking at the zage kit

Yoda
02-28-2010, 10:19 PM
yea no prob time to let everyone know whats up whit Zage

Yoda
03-02-2010, 02:23 PM
ordered my AEM FIC today. does any1 have a wiring diagram fo the ECU? Spoke to Grace at zage she recommends you get management to ensure smooth operation. i took that to mean don't go crazy without it or there goes your engine.
sorry for any grammatical errors using my phone

Tamago
03-03-2010, 08:54 AM
ordered my AEM FIC today. does any1 have a wiring diagram fo the ECU? Spoke to Grace at zage she recommends you get management to ensure smooth operation. i took that to mean don't go crazy without it or there goes your engine.

wiring diagram is in the repair manual. are you going to hack your stock engine harness? please use solder not t-taps lol
http://etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/EWD.pdf

thanks to etimago :)

cdydjded
03-03-2010, 09:36 AM

Boomslang has a PnP harness available for the Yaris to use a AEM FIC

Yoda
03-03-2010, 10:49 AM
wiring diagram is in the repair manual. are you going to hack your stock engine harness? please use solder not t-taps lol
http://etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/EWD.pdf

thanks to etimago :)

not gonna do it myself gonna let the pros do it.

Yoda
03-03-2010, 10:51 AM
price on Boomslang?

Tamago
03-03-2010, 12:48 PM
price on Boomslang?

edit.. probably too much lol considering what you get

cdydjded
03-03-2010, 01:08 PM
price on Boomslang?

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24474&highlight=boomslang

They lowered it to $399 for a group buy of 5, and just as I thought no one jumped on it.

cali yaris
03-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Spoke to Grace at zage she recommends you get management to ensure smooth operation.

um yeah... someone tell ANCLA that, lol

Yoda
03-03-2010, 02:36 PM
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24474&highlight=boomslang

They lowered it to $399 for a group buy of 5, and just as I thought no one jumped on it.
Wo thats kinda steep i might be able to get it wired up cheaper than that.

um yeah... someone tell ANCLA that, lol

well theres comes with upgraded injectors and spark plugs. So i am thinking that there kit just runs really rich and thats what they are working with. But then again :iono: i would still go with them if i had the funds.

Yoda
03-03-2010, 09:29 PM
just got back from my local car meet. Some guy there said that he was tuned with Apexi AFC-neo or something like that. My question is what is it lol and what does it do exactly.

Yoda
03-14-2010, 01:45 PM
kit will be here tuesday or thursday

eTiMaGo
03-14-2010, 03:03 PM
just got back from my local car meet. Some guy there said that he was tuned with Apexi AFC-neo or something like that. My question is what is it lol and what does it do exactly.

basic piggyback fuel controller, could be fine for your needs, not as complex as an e-manage, but as a result, probably more limited...

Yoda
03-15-2010, 09:53 AM
hmm i see

Yoda
03-24-2010, 02:23 PM
sorry been really busy at work but i got the goods will take pics when i get my camera back from my brother

kou
03-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Congrats on the turbo purchase.Good luck with the project.

advocate
03-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Need updates!

Yoda
03-28-2010, 09:39 PM
was trying to wait until i was gonna install it to open the box but.... eh you kno. everything looks....nice lol but the instructions are well....just pictures lol. not sure when i will have the time to install it but i will def take pics. stay tuned

Mouse
03-31-2010, 12:15 AM
Yoda...As far as engine management have you looked into Snipertune? They do mostly fords and the NC Miata. The NC had a similar situation that the yaris has with a learning ecu. I know they are somewhere in northern Florida. Maybe you can call them and get some info.

Yoda
03-31-2010, 01:24 AM
never heard of them but will def give them a ring THANKS for the info

Mouse
03-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Sorry now they are called Delta Force...Here is a link to their website
http://www.deltaforcetuning.com/default.asp

mark7337
04-19-2010, 12:41 PM
any updates yoda ?

Yoda
04-19-2010, 03:49 PM
its all still sitting in my closet. Life has just turned for the worst over the last month with the family. I might have to even sell it....

PETERPOOP
05-19-2010, 07:23 PM
month update?

Yoda
05-20-2010, 09:29 AM
still got it just don't have the time...

PETERPOOP
05-20-2010, 11:23 AM
pics atleast? :(

Yoda
05-21-2010, 06:52 PM
will try to get my cam back to take some pics. or buy a new one. sux working 2 jobs. all you do is eat, shit, sleep and work. dont count me out yet tho

advocate
05-23-2010, 11:26 PM
keep us updated on the family and the situation

good to hear you're staying strong though

Yoda
07-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Sorry for just now updating didn't have time before and not really that much right now. Just got a message from Focus_Sh1ft about the kit i bought so might as well let everyone know whats up. Sit back and here is the low down on my situation and the Zage Kit.This is gonna be long.

Lots of problems arose with family and all that and they were solved thank God. That left me with money to save and install the kit.... Not so, about 2 weeks later i got involved in a hit and run. Nothing too bad they just took my rear bumper off completely and a little frame damage. Police caught them but they did not have insurance hence why they ran. Got quoted $600 to fix it by a few shops. My insurance Gieco wants me to pay a $500 deductible to fix it. I said ok i will ride around with no bumper until i can pay to do it.
Maybe like 3 weeks later i got into a fight with some random guy. Reason being he was insulting my lady calling her names and the sort. I was just walking away dragging her with me since he was drunk and all. Then he shouted "you better run n***er". O it gets better he then runs up to me and i decked him one good time:evil: Out cold he was but i also broke my thumb.
To the emergency room i went and gotten everything taken care off....
Some weeks later i get a hospital bill for $3213.50. Then the emergency room bill for $665.00 after that was family doctor bill for $173.70. Lastly they charged me for doing three xray views on my hand $20.63.:eyebulge:
Called Aetna my insurance company to ask WTF? They told me that something with my policy change and they need a deductible of $2400 for them to cover 90% of my charges.

So yea all this led me to sell the kit to a guy i meet in Port St Lucie. he gave me $1000 cash (low ball but i needed the money badly).
Now you all heard about the zage kit and all. Well he installed and called me about a week after. Long conversation. Heres the low down from what he told me. There are no instructions just some pictures for the installation. There are some fitment issues but he solved them. He then tried to contact Zage to help with the install when he got stuck. They were not responsive. Dont kno if it was because he didnt buy it directly from them. Regardless he got it up and running. Then he said something in the turbo exploded and he now has metal in his intercooler and maybe the engine too he is not sure. He then tried to blame me for it and i told him to take it up with Zage as i warned him before the sale that its not been tested in the US.

So this is where i am at guys sorry for taking so long and all. Life just seems to just be grinding me down:frown: Good news tho i am up fro a promotion in the upcoming month. They are moving me to Alabama....:iono: But hey its a good pay increase. The cop took some pics of the bumper if any1 wants so see it i can post it. And i have some random stock parts too if people are in need.

Nexus1155
07-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Sorry to hear about all of the hardships that you have endured, but atleast you look like you are getting through them with your head held high.

Regardless, I feel he did not prime the turbos and blew the seals or wasnt lubricated when spinning. I just spiked 30psi on my chinese turbo yesterday by accident and it held through flawlessly. Everyone says my car sounds nice the way its running. 2x the chinese turbos 2x the expectation for failure :evil: right? lol no they work great so far.

Yoda
07-21-2010, 07:39 PM
i didnt ask him if he primed it or not. Most dont kno that i guess, he owns his own shop tho so idk. I learn about it when i was doing my research lol. But the main thing is that he got it working so the turbo might be the weak point if not taken care of in detail.

Nexus1155
07-21-2010, 08:06 PM
LOL just because you own a shop doesn't make you smart, I know multiple people who shouldn't even be near a car let alone installing parts or doing custom work. Anyways, you should ask him and if he goes huh prime what? then thats an issue. Anyways, its an easy replacement, tell him to suck it up he got a deal and to drop another $150 on a used turbo

Focus_Sh1ft
07-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Yoda, thanks so much for posting man. I can't believe the amount of stuff you went through in the past couple months.:eek:
Glad you're hanging in there though.

I really appreciate the update and feedback on this kit. I'm now convinced I want nothing to do with their turbocharger. However, I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit more on the "fitment" issues? This term has been floating around forever and I wanna know exactly what is meant by this.

I'm pretty bummed I didn't contact you sooner lmao. I wish you all could have seen the face palm that followed immediately after I saw that low ball offer.

Yoda
07-21-2010, 10:57 PM
i can try can get a hold of mike(the guy i sold it to) to get more details on the fitment. hope he is not still upset at me lol.

PETERPOOP
07-22-2010, 12:58 AM
craziness! Alabama here you come.

cali yaris
07-22-2010, 02:08 AM
quite a story, glad things are getting better for you.

Sounds like we are still waiting for the proper test subject for that kit.

Focus_Sh1ft
07-22-2010, 03:43 PM
quite a story, glad things are getting better for you.

Sounds like we are still waiting for the proper test subject for that kit.

Looks like it may be me afterall.

Yoda, can you please ask your buyer if he primed his turbo as well? I may be using theirs afterall and am hoping that's the only reason it exploded. :iono:

Yoda
07-22-2010, 08:07 PM
i just call him and tried to ask. He was like what you want now then hung up....sorry best bet is to ask one of the overseas Zage users or google zage turbo on the web and see if any of the honda guys used it....

cali yaris
07-22-2010, 08:44 PM
^ ouch

Nexus1155
07-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Sucks man, you should find him on some forum and just go "lolumad because you don't know what you're doing."

cdydjded
07-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Sorry for the hiatus guys, family issues, IMO the reason for the turbo exploding is Zage's oil return/pan designed. Iv said it before & Ill say it again, it doesnt work. Now the question is did the guy that bought the kit use the pan or not? Also would like to add that if there is metal in the I/C, there is going to be metal in the engine....

Nexus1155
07-22-2010, 11:34 PM
I dont know how it would be unless the tube is uber restrictive. A return is a return is just a tube that goes down to the pan or wherever to drain oil into.

Intercoolers do not pass chunks of metal through the piping. Depending on what side it is on on the intercooler, it may never see the engine.

Yoda
10-10-2010, 09:11 PM
WOOT long over due update. Got promoted in Florida so no more Alabama. Got some cheddar to waste and was thinking this should be my first buy....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T25-Turbo-Charger-internal-wastegated-Mazda-Miata-MX-5-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb0681160QQitemZ20052 8105824QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_2525wt_1161

Focus_Sh1ft
10-11-2010, 11:30 AM
YES.

Just don't get everything you need, then decide to sell it to some random lowballer. :tongue:

Yoda
10-11-2010, 11:44 AM
lol not this time the promotion really helped. Now i have room to breath.

Yoda
10-18-2010, 03:57 PM
the first step is commitment:biggrin:

cali yaris
10-18-2010, 08:14 PM
^ awww, love it

pimp my yaris
10-18-2010, 09:17 PM
That turbo looks very familiar.:w00t:
It looks like the same one I'm using. A word of advise. Use a downpipe that will blend wategate and through turbine gases smoothly or you will have boost creep. I speek from experience. But that turbo spools super fast and has plenty of flow.

Yoda
10-18-2010, 09:31 PM
That turbo looks very familiar.:w00t:
It looks like the same one I'm using. A word of advise. Use a downpipe that will blend wategate and through turbine gases smoothly or you will have boost creep. I speek from experience. But that turbo spools super fast and has plenty of flow.

Not sure what you mean by blend...?

O and thanks:thumbsup:

cdydjded
10-18-2010, 09:37 PM
:iono: me neither.....

pimp my yaris
10-18-2010, 09:58 PM
My downpipe that I based of the zage downpipe was easy to build and weld up, but it restricts wastegate exhaust flow. Their is a small cast iron divider in that turbo between the turbine exit and the wastegate exit. If you use a downpipe flange that is flat like mine, U will have restricted flow from wastegate. Then comes boost creep at higher rpm. Use a flange that has a chamber after the turbo to smoothly blend those gases before entering the exhaust. I corrected my problem by grinding down that divider. The first two pics is my downpipe flange [dont]. The third pic is a flange for for a gt25 that will work much better for that turbo. Hope this is helpfull.:biggrin:

cdydjded
10-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Thats what I thought u meant........

Yoda
10-18-2010, 10:12 PM
ahh ok i seee. Makes sense never even crossed my mind and i call myself an engineer tsk tsk. Where can i find a flange like that?

Yoda
10-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Question what would happen if i used the oil return spot on the turbo to feed the oil in and the other to drain to the pan?

cdydjded
10-21-2010, 12:05 AM
I dont understand what you are trting to ask.....

Yoda
10-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Talking about the top part with the blue thing in it. I use that location to feed the oil in and the opposite side to drain it to the oil pan... would it work that way?

Focus_Sh1ft
10-21-2010, 10:54 AM
I think I know why you're asking - and if that's the case you could just reclock the turbo?

Otherwise, I don't think it would matter as long as the return is on the bottom (obviously). You probably would want to run a thicker line for the return to keep oil pressure down in the turbo. Unless you like getting oil in your intercooler like I did :rolleyes:

Oh, and that thing is adorable :redface:

Yoda
10-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Well that one is not mine. Just a pic I found online that showed what I meant. I would need to drill and make new holes to reclock it the way I want. Can't figure out how to take off the compressor housing. I can turn it, but the middle part turns with it too

Focus_Sh1ft
10-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Well that one is not mine. Just a pic I found online that showed what I meant. I would need to drill and make new holes to reclock it the way I want. Can't figure out how to take off the compressor housing. I can turn it, but the middle part turns with it too

That is terribly inconvenient lol :iono:

It looks like it could be possible to take just the compressor housing off? Would the bolt holes still align if you took it off and rotated it?

Yoda
10-21-2010, 11:32 AM
That is terribly inconvenient lol :iono:

It looks like it could be possible to take just the compressor housing off? Would the bolt holes still align if you took it off and rotated it?

I pretty much have the same turbo that pimp has with the internal wastegate so jaw it won't line up. I am planning to route the piping differently tho.

cdydjded
10-21-2010, 11:37 AM
No you cannot do what you are thinking, you cant use the return for the feed & the feed for the return. You need to clock the turbo so the feed is on the top & the return is on the bottom. If you buy the right turbo you wont have this problem....

Yoda
10-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Well pimp has his working. Just didn't want to drill into it. O well... Let me go buy some more tools and stuff

cali yaris
10-21-2010, 11:49 AM
On my first install, I bought a Garrett GT2554R. I had to re-clock it.

I think if you're buying a pre-packaged KIT you shouldn't have to.

Yoda
10-21-2010, 12:01 PM
On my first install, I bought a Garrett GT2554R. I had to re-clock it.

I think if you're buying a pre-packaged KIT you shouldn't have to.

Too late for a kit now lol. Plus I feel I will gain alot of knowledge from this.

cdydjded
10-21-2010, 12:33 PM
From the pic you can clock this turbo.....BTW just to clear something up, clocking the turbo means to rotate the turbine, center housing & compressor from its current position to another position....

Yoda
10-21-2010, 12:41 PM
From the pic you can clock this turbo.....BTW just to clear something up, clocking the turbo means to rotate the turbine, center housing & compressor from its current position to another position....

If I could figure out how to rotate the center housing I will be good. I got the compressor to rotate

pimp my yaris
10-21-2010, 01:07 PM
The turbine housing [exhaust side] is held on with four bolts. The Compressor housing [intake side] is held on with a large snap ring. You will need some large snap ring plyers. Its on pretty tight. I will tell you from experience you must clock the turbo cartrige [Center section of the turbo] so your oil feed is on the top and oil drain is on the bottom. Other wise the seals will leak when oil is pooled in the turbo when the car is parked. And every time U start the car U will get a lot of white smoke. Oil feed and drain can not be reversed. You will also need a bajo bolt for the oil feed with a 1.5mm restricter. This will allow the proper amount of oil into your turbo. If the turbo gets full flow from the line U will starve the engine for oil pressure [very bad]. If its a ball bearing turbo U will need a 1.0mm restrictor banjo bolt. My turbo uses journal bearings.
I did need to drill and tap a small hole in the compressor housing when the housing was clocked correctly for the bracket that holds on the wastegate actuator. I have a very complete metric tap and die kit. Very handy for this project.
I have some pics and info about reclocking the turbo in my thread starting on page 3.
Check it out and be very careful and take your time when dissassembling the turbo. You dont want to bend or chip any of the tubine blades on either side or you can through off the balance of the spining assembly. Will shorten the life of the turbo.
Please feel free to PM me with any questions and I will help U out. I can also tell U of some mistakes I made when ordering parts that can save U $. Parts on E-bay that says they will fit the GT25 turbo are actually made for the Garret GT25 ball bearing turbos. This turbo uses different oil feed banjo bolt thread pattern and different oil drain flange.
If You look at my thread U can see most of the parts I ordered.:thumbup:

Yoda
10-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks pimp! I will hit you up with any questions that.I have

Yoda
10-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Problem.... Seems that the diameter on the compressor is too big. Its too close to the exhaust pipping. :iono: :help:Here are the specs:
Compressor Wheel .60 A/R
Trim 49
2" intake diameter

Focus_Sh1ft
10-23-2010, 08:26 PM
^ Gonna be hard to make a downpipe for that. :tongue:

Couldn't you just have a catback exhaust made and have the exhaust mount a little further away? Or would you need to get the full exhaust done? Hmm...

Yoda
10-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Well what I plant to do is cut off the extra pipping and weld the mounting right before the cat. Should give more than enough room that way.

pimp my yaris
10-25-2010, 05:10 PM
I had all custom exhaust made. 2in stainless downpipe into 2.25" aluminized steel downpipe back into polished stainless muffler with 4" exit. Their are 2 converters on the factory exhaust. The first one will need to be cut off to make room for down pipe. The downpipe will need a flex joint to allow the engine to twist or your exhaust will break. The factory exhaust swivels at the header joint. This is the part that is touching your compressor housing in your picture. And it the part you will cut off to make room for a downpipe.

Yoda
10-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Which one is the first one? You counting from the engine back?

pimp my yaris
10-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Downpipe is the pipe attached to the turbo.

Yoda
10-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Downpipe is the pipe attached to the turbo.
I kno that just got confused about which converter you talking about. Got it figured out now tho. And I got my piping in today:)

Yoda
11-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Quick update. Yea my car is dirty :redface: Did the piping. Only needed one piping kit with the way i have it set up so saving money there. Next is oil and water lines and custom down-pipe...Hoping to be done with everything by late November :rolleyes:

Focus_Sh1ft
11-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Day-um.

Lookin good, keep it up. :w00t:

pimp my yaris
11-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Its like Deja Vu!!!!! What a mind trip.:w00t:

Yoda
11-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Its like Deja Vu!!!!! What a mind trip.:w00t:

Well you gave me the confidence to do it:biggrin:. And It is as you say very fun

Yoda
11-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Need some bigger injectors...any recommendations?

cali yaris
11-15-2010, 11:24 PM
bigger than stock? 1ZZ, then Scion tC, then aftermarket, in that order.

Yoda
11-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Stay tuned

cali yaris
11-20-2010, 12:35 PM
^ good pun. LOL

Yoda
11-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Got rained out. But only thing left is my down pipe and getting some larger injectors. I have learned so much tru this. Not nearly as hard as I thought

Yoda
11-25-2010, 05:11 PM
What year range do you source the 1zz injectors?

Focus_Sh1ft
11-25-2010, 09:19 PM
What year range do you source the 1zz injectors?

I don't think it matters. I (think) they all range from 240-260cc. Even 240 should be enough for a low boost application, since the 1NZ's apparently max around 5 psi of boost.

Yoda
12-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Sorry for late updates. Got my aem uego in and all the other gauges. I suck at wiring. Not sure yet how I am gonna tackle that part. I will put up some pics later.

Focus_Sh1ft
12-02-2010, 07:42 PM
^ Suck less :rolleyes:

Yoda
12-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Lol u got a point. My idea of wiring is twisting the ends and using electric tape:redface:
So yea that's not gonna work gonna have to go pro on this part

Focus_Sh1ft
12-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Well you're halfway there lol...

Are you one of those people that are deathly afraid of soldering irons?

Yoda
12-02-2010, 08:05 PM
No and I do have one come to think of it. Guess I could read more into it and try my luck..... Just need to find where I am goona get the power source from.

Focus_Sh1ft
12-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Save yourself the money then. I'll help you out with any questions you have.

Just so you know, I found it easy to use add a fuses for my gauges. They allow you to have two fuses in one slot while also providing a wire (fused) that can be used to supply power to items like gauges.

Here's an example
http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HHH-ATM-Add-A-Fuse/dp/B000GKEXK2/ref=pd_sim_auto_1

Yoda
12-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Didn't kno they made those. Do I just get one and wire all three gauges to it for power?

cali yaris
12-03-2010, 01:03 PM
^ yeah those are really cool, make wiring a lot easier. I have the same fear you do, but I've done some myself.

Focus_Sh1ft
12-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Didn't kno they made those. Do I just get one and wire all three gauges to it for power?

Only electric gauges are going to need power, but yes. I used two add a fuses - one I placed in the MET slot, and the other was placed in PANEL1. MET is used to power the gauges, PANEL1 is used for illumination. These fuses are under the dash on the drivers side. Also, there's a ground point right next to it I used for all the grounding.

Yoda
12-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Ok cool. I am so close now can't wait. There where so many small little things I had to get. Nuts, bolts, adapters, vacuum lines and let's not forget the all important zip ties just to name a few!
O and I got some new headlight bulbs form MI and they are sexy.

Yoda
12-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Got my gauges set up.... Doing oil lines and the such now....

pimp my yaris
12-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Are U gonna run a AEM FIC? Or other

Yoda
12-09-2010, 04:32 AM
Aem I think. I got it all set up now. I was looking at my oil pressure and it was about 20psi at it's lowest...... There is also a funny sound scratching sound when I let off the throttle and just cruise. This is also when my oil pressure starts to drop from 60 down to 20. While in boost it's fine tho. I am taking my time with it scince when I let off the throttle it goes lean. I need those injectors asap.

Focus_Sh1ft
12-09-2010, 12:54 PM
scince when I let off the throttle it goes lean. I need those injectors asap.

You're describing DFCO which is perfectly normal.

Also, you don't really need 1ZZ injectors. If you'd like the additional margin of safety it wouldn't hurt though. I'll sell you mine if you need some.

cali yaris
12-09-2010, 01:29 PM
60 down to 20 on oil pressure is fine.

Off throttle, it should go off the charts lean (because no fuel is being injected), my gauge shows " - - - " which is beyond 16:1

That's normal too.

Yoda
12-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Ok cool was getting worried alittle. I don't even have a CEL. It's all been good so far I am still too afraid to really get on it with out the injectors so expect pm Focus! And thanks to everyone that help and guided me. Custom is the way to go you learn so much and I am confident in my build. No smoke, no leak, no CEL! Now got to tidy up all the wiring a bit then get my water lines in next maybe

pimp my yaris
12-09-2010, 04:39 PM
With tuning from the AEM you should be good up to about 6 psi with the stock injectors. Are U using a oil restrictor on the feed line? There should be a 1.5mm restrictor on the banjo bolt for the oil feed line into the turbo. This keeps oil pressure normal in your engine by not allowing all the prssure to bleed through your turbo housing. Also would you mind posting a picture of your downpipe. We are using the same turbo and I'm just curious how yours looks.

Yoda
12-09-2010, 10:25 PM
With tuning from the AEM you should be good up to about 6 psi with the stock injectors. Are U using a oil restrictor on the feed line? There should be a 1.5mm restrictor on the banjo bolt for the oil feed line into the turbo. This keeps oil pressure normal in your engine by not allowing all the prssure to bleed through your turbo housing. Also would you mind posting a picture of your downpipe. We are using the same turbo and I'm just curious how yours looks.

Nope not using a restrictor. Here are the pics of the downpipe from above.

cdydjded
12-10-2010, 09:50 AM
You need to add an oil inlet restrictor, your turbo will start to smoke if its not already...

haschel
12-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Just one question, is it the wideband O2 we see on your downpipe?

Yoda
12-10-2010, 01:42 PM
You need to add an oil inlet restrictor, your turbo will start to smoke if its not already...
I would but it already has a internal one. If it ever does start to smoke then I will.

Just one question, is it the wideband O2 we see on your downpipe?

Yea it is.

cdydjded
12-10-2010, 04:05 PM
I would but it already has a internal one. If it ever does start to smoke then I will.

Never seen a turbo with an internal oil feed restrictor, but if you say it has one then you should be OK......

haschel
12-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Last week, I was reading the installation instruction for my wideband and I saw that on page 3:

Sensor Mounting
A weld-in M18 X 1.5 boss is supplied for sensor installation. Mount the O2 sensor in the
exhaust system at least 18 inches downstream from the exhaust port. If you anticipate
high EGT's (over 800C), run a turbocharger, run at high RPM for extended periods of
time or plan on running leaded race fuel then you must mount the sensor at least 36
inches or more downstream of the exhaust port as all of these can cause the sensor to
overheat.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/Images/Products/Installation%20Instructions%2030-5130.pdf

I hope your sensor will last at this emplacement.

pimp my yaris
12-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Nice downpipe. Is that 2.5"? Where is your factory O2sensor? I also bought some heat wrap for my turbo and downpipe because the under hood temps get crazy hot without it. Over time plastic gets very brittle and breaks easily if is gots so hot all the time. Things like wire connectors will break very easily if it is always so hot under the hood. Very common with mitsubishi's and V dub's. Just a sugestion.

Yoda
12-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Yea I just now remembered about that 18" thing might have to switch it with the o2 on the other side. As for the heat I dont have that problem with heat yet cause I hardly even hit 5psi but I will get wrapping for it next week when I get paided and also try to see if I can relocate the O2. O and it's 2.5 good guess

Yoda
12-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Has any1 experience there boost gauge needle being shaky/jerky at times? I have no leak and it's not pinched. I also hear the turbo boosting at partial throttle and there is a slow responds from the gauge. Gonna get rid of that plastic hose and run a rubber one. Make me wonder if I have a boost leak somewhere.

pimp my yaris
12-11-2010, 06:36 PM
I can hear mine start spooling at zero psi and higher even under light accel. It has very little lag.:biggrin:

Yoda
12-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Lol I think you missed my question. How's your boost gauge? Lol. If this next thing doesn't work then I might try tapping into the wastegate. Might not be as accurate cause it will show higher psi but there should be less lag

Focus_Sh1ft
12-11-2010, 08:39 PM
I've noticed both of those things happening as well. Not sure about the jerky needle, but if you reach a certain throttle position and hold it, it's definitely possible for exhaust pressure to build enough to begin spooling slightly.

Yoda
12-12-2010, 01:53 AM
What do you think about tapping the wg for the boost gauge?

Yoda
12-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Got my first CEL... Fuel system too lean lol. Can't wait for those injectors. I will order my FIC Thursday for now I am staying out of boost. My idle afr sometimes even dips to the 16s :(

Blown_xa
12-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Lol I think you missed my question. How's your boost gauge? Lol. If this next thing doesn't work then I might try tapping into the wastegate. Might not be as accurate cause it will show higher psi but there should be less lag

what kind of boost gauge is it? some come with a vac-T with a built in restrictor so the vac signal is dampened. Also when tapping off the evap noid line, the boost gauge needle may shake at idle when that evap noid pulsates / turns on. Nothing really is wrong.

pimp my yaris
12-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Mine is teed at the evap. line coming of the intake using the plastic tubing. I am using a autometer phantom mechanical guage. No problem with shaking needle.

Blown_xa
12-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Mine is teed at the evap. line coming of the intake using the plastic tubing. I am using a autometer phantom mechanical guage. No problem with shaking needle.

yea ive not had a problem with mine either, I would say ive seen it (shaking needle) more with prosport gauges.

Yoda
12-13-2010, 11:25 AM
mine looks like this.... I got it a pepboys :iono: Think i gonna upgrade it later to one that also has vac. Pimp can you post a pic of where that evap line is

Yoda
12-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Got ride of the too lean error code but now i got this....P2195 Does it mean my o2 sensor has gone bad? Need some input on this one

Focus_Sh1ft
12-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Do you have a scangauge?

Is the car in closed loop during light acceleration?

Yoda
12-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Nope I don't have one. How do I tell when it's in close loop

Focus_Sh1ft
12-18-2010, 08:28 PM
I would definitely recommend getting a code reader that has some data logging abilities. In a situation like this, you need all the info you can get to diagnose the problem.

Is your wideband maintaining stoich for the most part?

Yoda
12-18-2010, 08:44 PM
I think I have a vacuum leak somewhere in my hose. As for my wideband it idles at 15-15.6. Then randomly hits 16. Driving it ranges from the high 13s to high 14s under light cruise.

Focus_Sh1ft
12-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Hm, that's definitely possible. When I was running closed loop I wouldn't see more than +- .5 AFR off stoich, so you have a pretty big fluctuation there. Still - that would mean you're running richer than normal, yet you have a code that says "O2 stuck lean."

cali yaris
12-18-2010, 10:39 PM
As for my wideband it idles at 15-15.6. Then randomly hits 16. Driving it ranges from the high 13s to high 14s

that's lean, not rich.

Yoda
12-19-2010, 09:22 AM
that's lean, not rich.

I thought you wanted to run 14.7 under cruise I hit 13 sometimes. So I think that's alittle rich when there is no boost. What's your cruise A/F?

PETERPOOP
12-19-2010, 12:17 PM
my cruise AFR is 14.6-15.1

Focus_Sh1ft
12-19-2010, 12:32 PM
I have my cruise AFR tuned for 15-15.5 currently.

I'm going to suggest tuning in open loop, especially with your O2 going crazy as is. It's working well for pimp and I, and it's so easy.

Otherwise, you can continue troubleshooting the O2. I'd take the negative off the battery for a couple hours to reset the code since you don't have a code reader.

Yoda
12-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Found the leak in the vacuum lines. Idle afr@ 14.2-14.6.

Bluevitz-rs
12-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Found the leak in the vacuum lines. Idle afr@ 14.2-14.6.

well, don't leave us hangin' like that, what was it? Operator error :biggrin:

cali yaris
12-20-2010, 12:13 AM
^ there ya go, that's what you want

Yoda
12-20-2010, 07:54 PM
well, don't leave us hangin' like that, what was it? Operator error :biggrin:

Wrong size vacuum hose.

Yoda
12-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Got my injectors on and did a little fun drive. So my boost gauge showed I went all the way up to 11psi.....! WTF lol. And also there still must be a boost leak somewhere cause I was running lean at 5psi. Now I gotta find that leak sigh.

Yoda
12-21-2010, 09:21 PM
I think the leak might be coming from the compressor inlet. I noticed the coupler not flushed and snug on there. I think that may be why it's still running lean when I get on it. All that unmetered air being compressed.

pimp my yaris
12-23-2010, 04:27 PM
The wastegate actuator on that turbo does not even start to open until 10 psi. So 11 psi sounds about right. I allready went through most of these problems with my car. I had to add a additional spring straped to the W/G actuator and strut tower under the hood to open the wastegate sooner. It looks ghetto but it works. It now opens at 5 psi and maxed out at 8 psi at 6K rpm. I have some pics of spring on my thread. I also had to disconnect my o2 sensor and richen fuel across the entire rpm and load range with my piggy back to get it runing good. :burnrubber:

Yoda
12-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Well I got it all sortted out. Had a big leak by the inlet. Have it set at 7psi and to tell you the truth I thought it would be faster..... Maybe I need to really tune it up to get the most power out of it. What I was hoping for was neck snapping tq. Or that feeling you get as if some1 is pushing you into your seat. All in all its still worth it. Something I built myself and is different. Also order a new Bov. Greddy type RS ftw!!!

PETERPOOP
12-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Do you plan on getting it tuned professionally? Or atleast putting it on a dyno to see some numbers?

cali yaris
12-24-2010, 01:00 AM
A tune will make you more power, that is for sure.

Focus_Sh1ft
12-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Throwing a meth kit in isn't a bad idea either.

On a side note, I'd really like to see someone with a low boost turbo do a flywheel swap.

Yoda
12-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Gonna get it pro tuned then dyno

Bluevitz-rs
12-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Throwing a meth kit in isn't a bad idea either.

On a side note, I'd really like to see someone with a low boost turbo do a flywheel swap.

I already had the Fidanza flywheel on my car when I boosted it. Why do you ask?

Yoda
01-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Did some more work today to clean up the engine bay a bit. Not perfect yet but looks alot better than how i had it before.

Scubaru Steve
01-08-2011, 07:38 PM
wow... thats a very clean setup!

Yoda
01-27-2011, 07:25 PM
gonna try to run 9 psi if the injectors can handle it.... Let you all know Saturday what the deal is

PETERPOOP
01-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Nice. I've been running 8.5-9 lbs of boost. Pulls strong.

Yoda
01-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Finally made it down. My wiring failed me bad it started to sputter on the way down. Had to bypass it :(

cali yaris
01-29-2011, 11:43 AM
^ Can't wait to hear, wishing you the best of luck with your tune! :clap:

Parmas
01-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Did some more work today to clean up the engine bay a bit. Not perfect yet but looks alot better than how i had it before.

Sweet setup I like the "stock" engine view.

Good luck with your tune!

Yoda
01-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Having them check the wiring

Yoda
01-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Pissed. So one my fic has some hardware malfunction. Two I have crazy boost leak. Three I ended up with 171 whp and 183 tq. It would not hold 9 psi... It feel right down to 6~7.
Only one good thing Rolo said when I get the stupid problem fixed he would retune for freez

Bluevitz-rs
01-30-2011, 01:41 AM
Pissed. So one my fic has some hardware malfunction. Two I have crazy boost leak. Three I ended up with 171 whp and 183 tq. It would not hold 9 psi... It feel right down to 6~7.
Only one good thing Rolo said when I get the stupid problem fixed he would retune for freez

Now there's customer service. :w00t:

cali yaris
01-30-2011, 03:46 PM
that's awesome, and a great result!!

Post up the dyno and if you have one, a video clip. You know we want one!

Blown_xa
02-01-2011, 07:47 PM

yea man the fic issue doesn't suprise me. If I were to guess I would say 3 out of 10 units are defective out of the box. We have sent back the clearly defective units and AEM claims there is nothing wrong ..... even though switching units right on the dyno solved the issue.

Yoda
02-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Yea I gonna have to send it back to them. Cause it's just not working anymore. Car won't even start with it in.....'sigh'

Focus_Sh1ft
02-02-2011, 06:01 PM
^ Did you try swapping .z firmwares? I believe .z107 is usually the accepted firmware for toyotas/scions.

What exactly is the problem? Can you even connect to it?

Yoda
02-02-2011, 06:17 PM
I tried the firmware and failed. Talked to the AEM techs they said its very unlikely that its a hardware issue but I am welcome to send it to them. Only thing i can think of now is the wiring is bad. Something came loose or something. Next possible factor could be that the TPS has gone bad for some reason. Gonna go through the wiring again and make sure all connections are secure. Probably something up with the grounding wires i think.

Yoda
02-05-2011, 05:18 PM
tsk tsk tsk i found my problem with the fic. Now to the boost leak.

xixarchangelxix
02-05-2011, 06:10 PM
What was the issue?

Bluevitz-rs
02-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Operator error? LOL

Yoda
02-05-2011, 07:36 PM
well.. you kno those extra wires that you dont use.... yea it not good when they touch stuff they have no business touching. I will leave it at that lol.

cali yaris
02-05-2011, 07:40 PM
yea it not good when they touch stuff they have no business touching.

TSA? :laugh:

cdydjded
02-05-2011, 08:48 PM
well.. you kno those extra wires that you dont use.... yea it not good when they touch stuff they have no business touching. I will leave it at that lol.

you can pull them out of the harness plug, thats what i did.

Yoda
02-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Yea I gonna do that. Hmmm I need more powa. I took a ride in my buds stock evo8 and feel in love with that tq. I want that neck snapping tq. Thats my goal for my car. Don't kno the majic number for it but that's what I am aiming for. After I get it retuned gonna do some light weight mods.

Yoda
02-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Dont let friends drive your car....
So either my turbo blew or my engine is shot:mad::cry:. Rough idle, misfire above 1k rpm, very strong jerking above 1k rpm. Popped the hood and it sound like a vacuum cleaner. Gonna check the turbo tomorrow for shaft play and pray to GOD my engine is ok. If engine is gone then time for rebuild :biggrin:

cali yaris
02-06-2011, 11:48 PM
ah oh, sorry to hear that.

Focus_Sh1ft
02-07-2011, 12:25 AM
:frown:

Before drawing those conclusions, check all hoses and piping. I had a very similar situation when the charge piping off the compressor housing popped right off while driving. The symptoms were very similar...

Also, the fact that you describe it as sounding like a vacuum cleaner further backs that up. You may be hearing the air being sucked in.

Yoda
02-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Yea will check that out. There is a knocking sound on cold star up.... Will post up the vid later tonight when I get off work. Think that idiot spun a bearing. Leak down test gonna be done Thursday.

pimp my yaris
02-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news. Ya I dont let anyone drive unless I'm in the car. Let us know what happened. Hopefully a hose popped off or a spark plug detonated. I dont think U have enough miles on that turbo to have trashed the bearings already, then again I couldn't believe the bearing play on my turbo. Good Luck :iono:

Yoda
02-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Back at Cft today to dail in the final tune. So happens that the are doing a photo shoot. First up on the Dyno is 2011 4dr sti

Yoda
02-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Final numbers 178 whp 182 tq @ 9psi. Would have more if I didn't have a resback exhaust.

Bluevitz-rs
02-15-2011, 04:44 PM
NICE!!!

cdydjded
02-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Final numbers 178 whp 182 tq @ 9psi. Would have more if I didn't have a resback exhaust.

What did your A/F look like? Are you still on stock injectors?

Yoda
02-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Afr is high 11s to 11.5 when I hit full boost. He also advised me not to floor it below 2.5k
Too much load on the engine too soon. I make full boost @ 2.3k rpm! As long as I am not stupid with It i should be ok. If I was on a dynojet I prob would have hit 200

cali yaris
02-15-2011, 07:28 PM
^ VERY nice :bow:

cdydjded
02-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Afr is high 11s to 11.5 when I hit full boost. He also advised me not to floor it below 2.5k
Too much load on the engine too soon. I make full boost @ 2.3k rpm! As long as I am not stupid with It i should be ok. If I was on a dynojet I prob would have hit 200

Stock injectors?

Yoda
02-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Stock injectors?

no 1zz

PETERPOOP
02-15-2011, 10:31 PM
sweeeet

cali yaris
02-15-2011, 11:47 PM
At peak power, what duty cycle were the injectors running?

Focus_Sh1ft
02-16-2011, 02:20 PM
:thumbsup:

I'd be careful with that turbo if I were you. No one wants to see a repeat of what happened to poor pimp. Otherwise, great numbers. :biggrin:

Yoda
02-16-2011, 02:48 PM
dont kno what duty cycle for the injectors cali.
and to my surprise i have no shaft play at all. Feels just like knew and i was running without a bov for like 3 weeks before i got the greddy...

Yoda
02-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Sigh not enough power. Gonna get my engine built. So people talk about needing to upgrade axles when you hit 245 whp. So my question is upgrade to what? O and I am gonna shoot for 20 psi and then I will go for cosmetics

Blown_xa
02-24-2011, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't worry about axles unless you hit the dragstrip with slicks. Most of the time you won't have enough traction to break one.

Congrats on good hp numbers. I could never keep a stock motor in one piece at 150whp. Its crazy you got those numbers with 1zz injectors, I ran tC injectors maxed out to get 150whp but with stock fuel pump. Did you run a walboro perhaps?

PETERPOOP
02-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Sigh not enough power. Gonna get my engine built. So people talk about needing to upgrade axles when you hit 245 whp. So my question is upgrade to what? O and I am gonna shoot for 20 psi and then I will go for cosmetics

Oh my. Anything specific that has made you want to do this? Lose a race, rode in a friend's faster car, or got a taste of "power" and want more?!?!?! :biggrin:

cali yaris
02-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Agreed you probably don't need built axles, but I got mine from the Drive Shaft Shop:

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/

Focus_Sh1ft
02-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Haha, you weren't kidding when you said that promotion meant A LOT of flex room. :thumbup:

PETERPOOP
02-25-2011, 02:08 AM
ya seriously!

Bluevitz-rs
02-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Surfing eBay and came across these... FleaBay link (http://cgi.ebay.ca/Toyota-1NZFE-1-5L-YARIS-Scion-XB-connecting-rods-conrod-/400196282795?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2d8ea9ab#ht_1494wt_936)

cali yaris
02-25-2011, 11:56 AM
I think I know the company that makes those, I shot them an email. I would just worry about being the guinea pig!

Bluevitz-rs
02-25-2011, 12:03 PM
is "Maxspeedingrods" the name of the company or is that just the ebay name?

Focus_Sh1ft
02-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Good stuff - I was under the impression the only rods for the 1NZ were made by that company XBG was getting them from. Can't remember the name atm.

Otherwise, those look like some nice big beefy rods. They should be able to take some abuse.

... That sounded pretty awful. :laughabove:

Bluevitz-rs
02-25-2011, 02:08 PM
... those look like some nice big beefy rods. They should be able to take some abuse.

That's what she said!!!! :tweetz: :bellyroll:

cali yaris
02-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I was under the impression the only rods for the 1NZ were made by that company XBG was getting them from.

We have Pauter and Crower here, and I know of at least two Chinese makers and one Malaysian one.

Yoda
02-25-2011, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't worry about axles unless you hit the dragstrip with slicks. Most of the time you won't have enough traction to break one.

Congrats on good hp numbers. I could never keep a stock motor in one piece at 150whp. Its crazy you got those numbers with 1zz injectors, I ran tC injectors maxed out to get 150whp but with stock fuel pump. Did you run a walboro perhaps?

Stock pump buddy.
Oh my. Anything specific that has made you want to do this? Lose a race, rode in a friend's faster car, or got a taste of "power" and want more?!?!?! :biggrin:
Well I rode in a buds stock Evo 8 and said I to myself need this tq. I don't race and floor it maybe 4 times a week.

Yoda
02-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Just want to gather ALL the parts first cause once I send out the engine I only have to do it once. going all top of the line for my baby :)

Yoda
02-27-2011, 01:53 PM
O noooozzz I got a little smoke coming out my engine somewhere :(. And its hotter than normal with my afr going lean at idle.Gonna check to see if i can locate the source with some seafoam.

Bluevitz-rs
02-28-2011, 01:27 PM
:cry:

pimp my yaris
04-02-2011, 12:23 PM
What was the smoke? Are U still running the same turbo?

Yoda
04-02-2011, 07:28 PM
it just stopped smoking one day and have not returned. and yea i am running the same turbo.

Yoda
05-23-2011, 06:54 PM
need to upgrade my spark plugs. any suggestions on what to choose. New dyno tune comming wednesday.....

Yoda
05-27-2011, 04:43 PM
squeezing the most out of this stock engine to see if i can get to 210whp..... getting close.

PETERPOOP
05-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Geez bro! How much lbs of boost? 1zz fuel injectors? I need to still put my bigger injectors in and retune.

Yoda
06-06-2011, 08:44 AM
same injectors @10psi with open downpipe. Stripped out the back seats and all the liner also.

Focus_Sh1ft
06-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Props for being willing to push this engine to (what we believe to be) its limits. Hopefully this will shed some light on how much abuse a 1NZ can actually take.

pimp my yaris
06-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Ditto, you convinced me to go to 8.5 psi.

fnkngrv
06-09-2011, 06:48 PM
I am gonna go 50psi when I boost...and then I will pick myself up along with the 1 million pieces of my yaris and not do it ever again...lol

Yoda
12-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Having problems with boost creep. Open dp is the cause so took the turbo off to port the wastegate a bit. Ordered a new actuator too. Pics to come later. Still hardly any shaft play ebay ftw this time.

pimp this is what you need here.

http://www.himni-racing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_41&products_id=687