PDA

View Full Version : Cut my fenders...

Galavoxx
11-14-2006, 04:38 PM
When I lowered my car I found out that the tire guys at the wheel shop misjudged the size I would need once the car was lowered. I ended up cutting the inner fender liner so that the tires wouldn't rub. The cut job didn't fix the problem so I had to run out and buy smaller sized front tires. The rear tires are fine and never rubbed and after putting on the new fronts, those don't rub either. I have a question though. Should I try to pop rivet or somehow close the gap of the inner fender liner so that water doesn't splash up into the underbody during inclimate weather? I've already driven the car in the rain and was wondering what people's thoughts might be on this one.

KSIbucky
11-14-2006, 04:41 PM
:needpics:

Galavoxx
11-14-2006, 04:43 PM
:needpics:

:iono:

It's the inner fender...what do you want? It's still connected to the car with about a 1 to 2" gap where I cut the lining for the tire to keep from rubbing.

the_saint
11-14-2006, 04:49 PM
It probably wouldn't hurt to patch the holes up if you have some material laying around...but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it either since much of the engine is exposed from underneath anyways.

And besides, the holes still would have been there if they had fixed your rubbing issue.

Galavoxx
11-14-2006, 05:02 PM
The only reason I ask is because I noticed the headlight and blinker housing is pretty close to the hole. A fair amount of water will be splashing up in there. Any suggestions on material to use? I have some carbon fiber laying around that I don't need... haha. Maybe some thin black plastic from tap would work.

the_saint
11-14-2006, 05:10 PM
In that case just clean it up real good and slap on some duct tape.

You know what they say; "If you can't duct it, f*#k it"

but seriously though. If you've got some material to patch it with go ahead and do it. But I'd save the CF for something cooler than an inner fender patch. lol

barryware
11-15-2006, 02:14 PM
If you are talking about the plastic liner in the fender, I had to take one of mine out to run a wire for the cruise I installed. It is just a little piece and I don't think it would cost that much to just order new ones. Maybe 20 - 30 bucks a piece. They are available as they are used in collision repair.

If it were me, I would just buy new inner fenders.

Galavoxx
11-15-2006, 05:11 PM
If you are talking about the plastic liner in the fender, I had to take one of mine out to run a wire for the cruise I installed. It is just a little piece and I don't think it would cost that much to just order new ones. Maybe 20 - 30 bucks a piece. They are available as they are used in collision repair.

If it were me, I would just buy new inner fenders.

The only problem with that is I am affraid the tires are still a little too big to entirely clear the fender liner. I don't want to buy new fenders just to cut them again. I think a repair might be the way to go. Part of the issue with the originals is the design. They made the liner too shallow near the edge. There is plenty of room in the fender to make the liner deeper but they just didn't do it. :iono:

Black Yaris
11-15-2006, 05:16 PM
I just want to know what genious put a 215/45 17 on your car... it should have been a 215/40 17, which is a much more common size and much closer to the hight of the stock tire