PDA

View Full Version : WR Secret Weapon Intake Dyno Tested..

WRLEO
11-15-2006, 04:55 PM
We finished the Intake system today.
Tried a Cold Air config, The car didnt like it much, the intake tube was too long.
We did a Medium lengthed intake system, the car liked it better.
Then we finally did a Short Ram intake and the car totally liked it.

Here are the dyno results and Video's for your enjoyment.
http://www.weapon-r.com/images/forum_pics/toyota/yaris/Stock%20vs.%20SW%20Intake.jpg

Stock intake:
http://www.weapon-r.com/images/forum_pics/toyota/yaris/CIMG4265.jpg

WR Secret Weapon Intake:
http://www.weapon-r.com/images/forum_pics/toyota/yaris/CIMG4274.jpg

Video Link:
http://www.weapon-r.com/images/forum_pics/toyota/yaris/CIMG4279.AVI

Galavoxx
11-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Looks and sounds good. Can't wait to pick it up. Too bad about the header. I would have preferred that over the intake. Guess I'll take what I can get. lol I have first dibs on the next header test.

WRLEO
11-15-2006, 05:08 PM
You'll Def be on the list..
I hope i can sort it out Asap.

Galavoxx
11-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Sweet. I'll see you tomorrow.

EddyCocaine
11-15-2006, 11:32 PM
how much you think this will be costing us guys and gals?

ItsMyDaily
11-16-2006, 11:37 AM
wow thats interesting that the cold air did not show better gains. Any comparisons?

WRLEO
11-16-2006, 11:37 AM
PM for details..

The Cold air only yielded like 3 Horsepower, my experience tells me that the tubing length is too long for this small engine. It takes too long and takes too much effort for this engine to take in air with a cold air. It was much much hapier with a short ram intake and right behind the headlight. We have a ram air kit that we can add to this kit also.. Which reminds me, there is a nice hole in the bumper to mount the scopp for the ram air kit. NICE....

boris13
11-16-2006, 11:55 AM
What kind of filter are you using for the short ram intake? Would this type of intake hurt fuel economy, and if so, to what degree?

CASTREX
11-16-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm a little confused now... How come TRD and AEM provide CAI's if a short tube will perform better?? I believe AEM CAI claims about 5HP gains....

I supposed also that the short intake set up will be much less expensive than the overpriced AEM and TDR, right?

When can we expect the intake and header to be available?? Would you offered a combo?? That would be nice!

Katana
11-16-2006, 05:09 PM
I don't think that a longer tube will create any problems.

Look my CAI, which is pretty long

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/Alex-R/Yaris/CAI1.jpg

Galavoxx
11-16-2006, 07:20 PM
I don't think that a longer tube will create any problems.

Look my CAI, which is pretty long

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/Alex-R/Yaris/CAI1.jpg

I don't think it's a matter of creating problems, I think it's more like, what works best for this motor. This is the case for most performance mods. Each mod is going to net a different gain depending on the application. I do agree with CASTREX though, seems a little odd that TRD and AEM have CAIs claiming up to five. They do say up to five though so maybe they are really pulling closer to 2 or 3. Beats me without a dyno pull using either of those intakes. What is the approximate RWH rating for the numbers you got Leo? Or I guess Front Wheel Horsepower (FWH)...

mikeukrainetz
11-16-2006, 07:21 PM
im 80% through building my own that looks EXACTLY like the one shown by WRLEO...
Always nice having scraps lying around.

Galavoxx
11-16-2006, 09:40 PM
I drove it back from South San Francisco over McClaren Park. The intake makes a very nice difference over stock. I didn't think I would really feel that much extra power considering intake mods I've done on previous cars. The low end really feels stronger and the motor pulls better and revs faster and smoother all the way to red line. Plus the sound around 4000 and up is oh so sweet. Now I know what all you guys with the CAIs have been talking about. I can already see my gas mileage headed to the toilet based on wanting to hear that sweet sound over and over again. Hey Leo, I suggest you sign up as a sponsored vendor. This thing will sell itself.

Violin
11-16-2006, 10:14 PM
AEM put their dyno results right on the instructions.

RossP
11-17-2006, 05:10 AM
Leo

Sorry for Hijacking the thread but I have tried several times contacting your company this year about selling your products in Cyprus. I have sent 2 Fax & 3 emails, but not received any replies. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Please contact me on

ross.pedersen@rpautosports.com

Katana
11-17-2006, 08:56 AM
I drove it back from South San Francisco over McClaren Park. The intake makes a very nice difference over stock. I didn't think I would really feel that much extra power considering intake mods I've done on previous cars. The low end really feels stronger and the motor pulls better and revs faster and smoother all the way to red line. Plus the sound around 4000 and up is oh so sweet. Now I know what all you guys with the CAIs have been talking about. I can already see my gas mileage headed to the toilet based on wanting to hear that sweet sound over and over again. Hey Leo, I suggest you sign up as a sponsored vendor. This thing will sell itself.

+1 from me!

CASTREX
11-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Hey Leo do you already have a price for the intake???

How fast can I get it?

If is priced below AEM's CAI I would definitively buy one.

dngz
11-17-2006, 07:55 PM
yea how much?

ItsMyDaily
11-17-2006, 08:00 PM
it's a good price

dngz
11-17-2006, 08:04 PM
how much is a good price?

spkrman
11-17-2006, 08:51 PM
how much is a good price?

x2, very interested :cool:

looks like it shoudl be of the cheaper offered due to the simplicity?

Violin
11-17-2006, 09:15 PM
The dyno numbers are very impressive. I wish this had been available before I got the AEM CAI.

I do have a question though.

Isn't the idea behind a cold air intake to avoid using heated engine compartment air? How accurate are the results if the hood was kept open during the dyno run on this baby?

ItsMyDaily
11-17-2006, 10:54 PM
The dyno numbers are very impressive. I wish this had been available before I got the AEM CAI.

I do have a question though.

Isn't the idea behind a cold air intake to avoid using heated engine compartment air? How accurate are the results if the hood was kept open during the dyno run on this baby?

Fairly accurate I'd say considering this engine bay does not get to hot anyway when driving. The engine compartment gets a lot of cold air into it during travel, so I'd guess air is actually cooler in under the hood while driving rather then just having the hood open. Now if someone that gets it can incorporate some kind of box with some kind of snorkel then that be even better.

Sorry guys I'll just let the manufacturare let you in on the price, but I will say it's around the same as the aem cold airs. considering the difference in results I'd say it's a lot more worth it though.

Katana
11-18-2006, 03:43 AM
+1.Well said.

WRLEO
11-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Special for the holidays we have decided to give the ram air kit with the intake systems ordered only up till end of december. anyone intrested in the intake PM me. and we can work out the details.

ItsMyDaily
11-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Special for the holidays we have decided to give the ram air kit with the intake systems ordered only up till end of december. anyone intrested in the intake PM me. and we can work out the details.

Oh I did not realize this was the deal you mentioned to me. Then I am interested, but would you have a picture of the items(does not have to be on the car) for reference?

dngz
11-23-2006, 08:04 PM
WRLEO!! check your paypal!!!

bigsky2
11-23-2006, 08:26 PM
hey dngz let us know how the intake works out for you!

i'm interested to see it in action - show it off at the meet :cool:

dngz
11-23-2006, 08:58 PM
sure thing!! i cant wait to get my headers after cuz once i get em im gonna get my custom exhaust installed with it!!

07WYarisRS
11-24-2006, 12:53 AM
I would be more impressed if I saw actual gains before 4500 rpm

dngz
11-24-2006, 07:21 PM
umm... wrleo?? ive sent money to you but still havent got any word back.. please email me or pm me.

WRLEO
11-24-2006, 07:40 PM
i know you canadians dont have thanks giving, but we do.. ahaha
It will be shipped out on monday or tuesday.:thumbup:

ism3t
11-24-2006, 08:35 PM
payment sent! cant wait for the loooowwww rumble

dngz
11-24-2006, 09:49 PM
OOOOOH YEA! THANKSGIVING! lol!! we had ours already! think you can ship it on... monday?? =) =) =)???

haha ya baby! who else bought 1 besides me and ISM3T??

ISM3T did you pay the MR Headers GB Yet??!!!!

riceboy
11-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Where are all the Black Friday deals????? no door crashers....

ism3t
11-24-2006, 11:50 PM
yeah i sent the payment for both

CASTREX
11-25-2006, 01:55 AM
It happens that I came to San Francisco for the thanks giving.... So I contact Leo from WR and he was knd enough to give me my Intake this afternoon...! Looks sweet.

Don't askme anything about the performance... cause I won't be installing it untill a few weeks from now...

But one thing I can tell you: Leo is the coolest guy! He took me around the shop and showme a lot of the WR's stuff, new parts and dyno test comparisons from several cars... Did I mention new parts?? They are cooking a rear strut bar for the Yar...

WR for sure does it's homework... great quality parts, supported by solid R&D (dyno testing).

Bad news regarding the new headers... The shop is packed with lots of work... so Leo doesn't think it will be ready for another month or two.

Maybe if they see more interest on the header (demand)... they will speed up the production... So keep PM Leo. It's all about the $$$

Not to cause any trouble, but I think that all the guys in the GB for the Megan Racing header, should have waited I little more. Leo show the prototype and some preliminary numbers and I can tell you that really worth the extra $$$

YamilR
11-25-2006, 07:59 AM
It happens that I came to San Francisco for the thanks giving.... So I contact Leo from WR and he was knd enough to give me my Intake this afternoon...! Looks sweet.

Don't askme anything about the performance... cause I won't be installing it untill a few weeks from now...

But one thing I can tell you: Leo is the coolest guy! He took me around the shop and showme a lot of the WR's stuff, new parts and dyno test comparisons from several cars... Did I mention new parts?? They are cooking a rear strut bar for the Yar...

WR for sure does it's homework... great quality parts, supported by solid R&D (dyno testing).

Bad news regarding the new headers... The shop is packed with lots of work... so Leo doesn't think it will be ready for another month or two.

Maybe if they see more interest on the header (demand)... they will speed up the production... So keep PM Leo. It's all about the $$$

Not to cause any trouble, but I think that all the guys in the GB for the Megan Racing header, should have waited I little more. Leo show the prototype and some preliminary numbers and I can tell you that really worth the extra $$$

How about a picture?

spkrman
11-25-2006, 08:59 AM
quality stuff at a reasonable price is what its all about :)

ItsMyDaily
11-25-2006, 11:16 AM
any pictures of the intake set-up with the ram air?

CASTREX
11-25-2006, 01:12 PM
I won't install the intake untill a few weeks... My car is in Costa Rica... and I will be back to my country in a few weeks.

I will un packed the intake and show you a picture...

YamilR
11-25-2006, 01:23 PM
I won't install the intake untill a few weeks... My car is in Costa Rica... and I will be back to my country in a few weeks.

I will un packed the intake and show you a picture...

Gracias!!

ItsMyDaily
11-25-2006, 03:24 PM
^^ thank you.

dngz
11-25-2006, 05:50 PM
hehe ya, too bad i was already committed to the MR Headers.

CASTREX
11-26-2006, 05:08 AM
Pictures attached. (Not installed yet)

dngz
11-26-2006, 07:08 AM
AWESOME! Cant wait to get mine!

YamilR
11-26-2006, 09:17 AM
I would like to know if possible how this Intake compares to AEM or TRD

ItsMyDaily
11-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Pictures attached. (Not installed yet)

thank you for the pic. Looks like you put te same pic up twice. Is that everything included with the kit?

YamilR
11-26-2006, 09:31 AM
thank you for the pic. Looks like you put te same pic up twice. Is that everything included with the kit?

That's all it needs:thumbup:

CASTREX
11-26-2006, 05:00 PM
yeap, that's all. plus a cleaning kit for the element.

CASTREX
11-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Ups sorry!! you're right... I posted the same picture twice. Here's the picture of the complete set up

slvryaris
11-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Curious as too where the ram air kit mounts and what is the rubber tube hanging off the polished tubing?

ItsMyDaily
11-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Ups sorry!! you're right... I posted the same picture twice. Here's the picture of the complete set up

thank you. thats what I meant when I said if that was all. I was expecting to see the ram air portion of the kit.

YamilR
11-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Curious as too where the ram air kit mounts and what is the rubber tube hanging off the polished tubing?

Crankcase vent

YamilR
11-26-2006, 06:13 PM
thank you. thats what I meant when I said if that was all. I was expecting to see the ram air portion of the kit.

So where the ram air gets positioned? would it make a difference just to install the pipe and filter?

ItsMyDaily
11-26-2006, 06:16 PM
So where the ram air gets positioned? would it make a difference just to install the pipe and filter?

As far as power goes I don't think it will make a diffference, however, i will be a good day to get cold air to the intake. It'll probably be most beneficial on those really hot days where small motors like ours that lack torque seem to bog or feel slugish.

slvryaris
11-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Thats what I was wondering. Also wondering wat the rubber piece is hanging from the tubing? Does this kit perform better the AEM's????

CASTREX
11-27-2006, 12:03 AM
The rubber hose came with the kit... but actually you don't need it, since the OEM hose of the car will fit on the intake.

bigsky2
11-27-2006, 12:06 AM
Anyone who has ordered this care to compare your car's performance against that of an AEM intake?

Would like to hear some experiences from AEM/WR installed vehicles and the difference in acceleration, power, etc.

dngz
11-27-2006, 11:44 AM
hey bigsky2, what have u done with ur car? u have the aem right? maybe once i get my wr intake u can test out my car

Galavoxx
11-27-2006, 03:21 PM

damn. Can I still get in on the Ram Air kit? I know I just bought the prototype but can you hook me up Leo.

bigsky2
11-27-2006, 04:38 PM
hey bigsky2, what have u done with ur car? u have the aem right? maybe once i get my wr intake u can test out my car

Yes, I've got an AEM CAI installed and TRD muffler.

dngz
11-27-2006, 07:18 PM
u getting headers too? wait till spring then! cant wait to see how much a full catback exhaust will differ from just the axle back

ProMotionTuning
11-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Hey Guys...
Name is James and I am a part of ProMotionTuning.Com, a new sponsor to Yaris World. I have personally been working with Leo and the entire Weapon-R crew for atleast 6 years. We are located in Fredericksburg, VA, however every time I am in the Bay Area, which is about once a year, I try to stop and see Leo and see what he has up his sleeve.

I spoke with Leo for awhile yesterday and am looking forward to helping him with his products for the Yaris. I can tell you from personally dyno testing a few intakes he has produced for the Cougar, RX8 and Scion tC, he knows his stuff and will do what it takes to make it right and powerful.

If there is anything I can help anyone with or answer any questions, feel free to give me a call at the shop or PM.

Thanks
James

ProMotionTuning
11-29-2006, 06:19 PM
As promised... Item has been added to our website for quick ordering and shipment.

Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake System (http://www.promotiontuning.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=305-157&Category_Code=07YarisPerformanceIntakes)

marcus
05-15-2007, 12:54 PM
what about the sensors where do they plus in?? and does the engine idle needs to be adjusted..or ecu makes that adj for it??

Galavoxx
05-15-2007, 01:42 PM
what about the sensors where do they plus in?? and does the engine idle needs to be adjusted..or ecu makes that adj for it??

All sensors are re-used and nothing needs to be done to the engine idle. Just put it on and enjoy the sweet sound and a slight increase in accelleration.

Vanderkitten
05-16-2007, 01:36 AM
Ram Air Kits--- Ram Air works on the basis of Tubulance and air pressure. The higher pressure and turbulance atomize the fuel more, so more burns per power stroke meaning more efficient burning and more power. The Caveat is that this is normally tuned in a sealed airbox or chamber. I can see the "ram air kit" bringing in colder air from the outside of the car, which is a plus, but I am curious about the actual effectiveness of the "RAM"?

I'll still buy a WR, they're my local people, and then I'll find out for myself!

AlphaFox
05-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Is there some reason a peice of aluminum pipe and a filter costs so dang much??

Galavoxx
05-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Is there some reason a peice of aluminum pipe and a filter costs so dang much??

No. :biggrin:

AlphaFox
05-17-2007, 03:00 PM
there is no way im spending that much, I will make my own if it comes to that. I just hope charles finishes his soon, im sick of waiting.