PDA

View Full Version : Call to those who adapted 6.5" speakers to rear of Liftback

W.A.S.P
11-19-2006, 01:16 AM
I want to replace my rear speakers with something with a little more bass...
I was thinking about using 6.5" speakers instead of the stock 5.25"... Has anyone done that... Searches didn't help, so I wanted to ask before ordering the speakers, also, if I go the 6.5 route, can I use the "gutted" stock speaker as a bracket, or should I buy a bracket?...
Any brand of speaker recommendations within a reasonable to cheap price and good bass delivery?

Thanks in advance!!!

hasher22
11-19-2006, 01:32 AM
I have installed 6.5" speakers for my rear. Though i have used the Sat6's speaker spacers to install them.

The spacer will be too big for the 5.25" space provided, so you have to drill another hole to screw it in.

And walla you have 6.5" speakers in da rear

spkrman
11-19-2006, 05:02 AM
5.25 to 6.5 isn't so tough, there are adapters/spacers, or you can just fab something up.

and yes, I would definitely suggest it for most applications :)

You can also put 8's there, although it will take more modding.

Violin
11-19-2006, 07:25 AM
I know Toddhata put 6.5" MB Quarts in the back his hatch. I used 5.25" in mine. You would need a bracket.

yv1650c
01-20-2007, 07:45 PM
in the Hatchback what size its in rear doors?
Thank you

Alien Mantis
02-23-2009, 04:41 PM
I want to replace my rear speakers with something with a little more bass...
I was thinking about using 6.5" speakers instead of the stock 5.25"... Has anyone done that... Searches didn't help, so I wanted to ask before ordering the speakers, also, if I go the 6.5 route, can I use the "gutted" stock speaker as a bracket, or should I buy a bracket?...
Any brand of speaker recommendations within a reasonable to cheap price and good bass delivery?

Thanks in advance!!!

OLD THREAD, but I will respond in case anyone else is having similar issues.

6.5" coaxials work fine in the rear of the 3-door Hatch.
I installed some Pioneers in my Yaris, and they fit without too much fuss.
Easy to just gut the stock speaker, and then mount your new one to it.
Don't expect any better bass, you need a subwoofer and some Dynamat for that!

( But you will get "cleaner" sound by replacing those crappy factory speakers. )

BLAZINBLUEVITZ
02-23-2009, 04:42 PM
OLD THREAD IS RIGHT seeing as WASP changed his username and got a different color....

mastaofdisasta
03-06-2009, 08:14 PM
I just literally tore the stock speaker outta the front mounts and screwed mine in the plastic rings that were attached to the odl speakers. As for the back ones, fucking screwed them right in the metal framing XD works fine for me

Spades
03-07-2009, 05:32 AM
look, if you care enough to install aftermarket larger speakers i would assume you care about sound quality to some extent. if that is the case, dont use the plastic speaker basket. its 1/8" thick chinese plastic. it will rattle and sound like pee...if it doesnt at time of install they will rattle it apart eventually.

spacers are $10 a pair (not on sale) ladies and gentalmen. $10 to ensure clean sound that will last for years to come.

if you just want something to annoy the pee out of the drivers next to you, buy some cheap speakers, rip out the paper cone of the stock speakers, use elmers glue and a nail gun to fasten it to the doors and rear deck, and buy a $20 wallyworld special bass tube and a crunch amplifier.

that way, if i have my windows down on a nice sunny day i can add your vehicle to the list of cars i get to listen rattle, vibrate, squeel, and clip their way though the weeks top 10 countdown.

skigil
03-10-2009, 10:06 PM
..or you could build your own spacers out of some generic plywood. I did, and i gotta say, it was super cheap and i could make it anyway i wanted.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I decided to stick some 6x9's that I had into the back.

I would also suggest looking for the TinyGiant thread on how to make your own sub enclosure in the trunk. I did and have to agree that one 10" sub is plenty of bass for our tiny cars.