PDA

View Full Version : OEM Armrest Install help.

binspoonal
11-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Hi,

Has anyone installed the factory armrest in their yaris? If so, can you explain to me how it is installed? Thanks!

Violin
11-23-2006, 07:38 AM
The base sits in the factory cup holder with the screw hole to the rear. With both seats all the way forward the wire part goes under your seat tracks and up over the base - there is a little notch for it to ride in. The armrest sits on top of it all. Put the screw in to (sort of) secure the whole thing.

Your dealer's service dept. should be able to print you out the instructions.

RogueYaris
11-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Aren't those pretty unstable? Like you can't put much weight on them or they pull out?

Violin
11-26-2006, 10:01 PM
No they won't pull out. They do wiggle plenty.

the.shau
11-26-2006, 10:17 PM
ebay.com item# 200052013917
Take a look at this...
I think u could make something like it
(sorry I couldn't get a link to pop up, 2nd post)

RogueYaris
11-29-2006, 01:22 AM
No they won't pull out. They do wiggle plenty.

"Wiggle plenty" sounds "unstable" to me. I like my armrests to be firm and stable...

DonnyRebel
11-29-2006, 03:03 PM
there's no wiggle to my armrest! But then again I had the dealership install it. If it's wiggling, it was installed wrong........

nsmitchell
12-01-2006, 09:40 AM
I wiggled my armrest this morning. It only move slightly, but the rest of the rear center console moves with it. It works well to hold your arm, and it is probably meant to give/bend/twist in a crash anyway.

binspoonal
12-01-2006, 12:18 PM
I have mine installed but I'm still not sure how the metal wire is held under the seat track. It looks like the end part that sticks up should go into the hole in the seat track but its not lining up for me.. I may have to force it to line up.
So far the armrest is ok. They definitely didnt put too much thought into the design.

nsmitchell
12-01-2006, 02:39 PM
The metal wire fits nicely, I will take a picture later today and post it on the correct way to situate it.

Ran Kizama
12-01-2006, 02:44 PM
"Wiggle plenty" sounds "unstable" to me. I like my armrests to be firm and stable...It's not that unstable. It has about 1/4 inch of wiggle space. Not enough to feel "unstable". Besides, it's just there to rest your arm on. Not like you're going to use it as a balance beam. :iono:

Also, the armrest comes with instructions. If the install takes you more than 10 minutes, end yourself.

binspoonal
12-01-2006, 03:10 PM
nsmitchell I would appreciate that! I bought mine from a fellow member and it didnt come with instructions.

Chris07LB
12-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Damn, still no luck?

IsLNdbOi
12-01-2006, 07:44 PM
there's no wiggle to my armrest! But then again I had the dealership install it. If it's wiggling, it was installed wrong........

That's not true. I installed mine and when it wiggled, I took mine to the dealer. They checked it out and told me that I installed it perfectly. It does wiggle.

tomjasz
12-01-2006, 09:33 PM
"I like my armrests to be firm and stable...

That comes with a Corolla.....:headbang:

nsmitchell
12-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Here are the pics.

Violin
12-29-2006, 08:29 AM
Vacuum your car!

PetersRedYaris
12-29-2006, 10:17 AM
True they are not the most stable thing in the world but they serve their purpose well. I just need a place to rest my elbow while I drive.

brickhardmeat
03-18-2007, 07:16 PM
So the arm rests wire kind of clips in there? You don't have to loosen those wierd bolts holding the seat brackets down? I was going to put the new light in my shidter today but I didn't make it passed the arm rest, hence my search for an install procedure.

Violin, can you help me on this part too. I think I'll be alright once I get passed the arm rest.:wink:

ricepower
03-19-2007, 05:41 AM
Vacuum your car!

:laughabove:

brickhardmeat
03-20-2007, 06:59 PM
What's with all those long white hairs?:eek:

minh0410
03-21-2009, 04:05 AM
Hi All,
I bought a oem yaris armrest from ebay and they sent the armrest assembly+base only. Without wire clip as your picture.
Could you please tell me where to find the wire clip or do you know another way to install it?
Some pictures attached to make it clear for you:

minh0410
03-21-2009, 04:10 AM
Attached pitures:

1NZYaris1
03-21-2009, 04:16 AM
Where :iono: :iono::iono::iono::iono::iono:

yaris-me
03-22-2009, 03:47 AM
Hi All,
I bought a oem yaris armrest from ebay and they sent the armrest assembly+base only. Without wire clip as your picture.
Could you please tell me where to find the wire clip or do you know another way to install it?
Some pictures attached to make it clear for you:

You're missing a large U shaped wire that goes over the cup holder insert and clipped underneath the seat rail, then the arm rest is screwed down. I don't think the wire is sold separately. You could fabricate one with a wire coat hanger.

gmodder
03-22-2009, 11:06 AM
How about the center console one that garm sells on his sight...

http://shop.microimageonline.com/product.sc?categoryId=13&productId=12

Does that one install the same as the stock arm rest i already have...

The only thing i dont like about it is its in black..wish garm could get some dark grey colors in it..

cali yaris
03-22-2009, 11:12 AM
The one I sell has a hole in the bottom which matches a bolt you'll find at the bottom of the cup holder. It also includes a couple of screws (which I don't use) to screw in the console from the sides.

But really, the bottom bolt alone is very secure.

The car has a black interior; the center console goes very nicely with that.

Melloreel
05-22-2013, 05:07 PM
I know these post are several years old! But I just purchased a oem armrest from forum member. Went to install this afternoon, and couldn't for the life of me figure out how the wire was used? I took out center console, then seats:iono: still no answer! Then it hit me. Look on the forum:laughabove:
Found the pics, and installed it in minutes:bow:
Just a note for future installers, Goes a lot easier if you loosen the rear Of the front seat rail bolts:frown:

nookandcrannycar
05-22-2013, 09:48 PM
For the life of me, I can't understand why any Yaris Liftback owner would want the OEM armrest in their Yaris. I feel the same way Why? does about it...I can't and couldn't stand it. Mine came with one, and I ripped it out right away. There were only 5 manual transmission liftbacks in the entire Northeast when I got mine, so I couldn't hold out for one without the armrest (my previous car was unsafe to drive more than a few hundred more miles re the steering rack). The last Yarisworld thread (fairly recent) on this subject included pictures and all the aftermarket choices, IMO, on that thread were all better than the OEM one. The best one displayed on that thread (IMO) was one of the choices purchased from Cali Yaris (microimageonline.com) and I'd get that one if I decided I needed more storage or a 'place of rest'.

Betrivent
05-22-2013, 09:50 PM
I'm a small guy, and the position of the OEM armrest is stupid. I can't use the shifter with it down. I tore mine out almost immediately after I got mine too.

Incidentally, I still have mine for sale if anybody wants it.

POST 1234!

Melloreel
05-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Well. I can't speak for anyone else, but all my cars and my Tundra have armrest!
Don't like riding without one! That being said, I didn't quite realize the factory rest is shall we say"cheazzy" as it is:eyebulge:
So it is what it is. For me better than nothing:iono:

Oh! Mine is an automatic, and I'm 6.2 so it's pretty close!

Please PM me the price you are asking, also color?