PDA

View Full Version : Poor Fuel Economy

Justcaz
05-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Hello..
Please forgive me as I know little to nothing about cars...
Especially my poor Yaris.

Basically I've got a 2008 YRX 1.5 litre Yaris.
It's had no obvious or major problems.
I mostly use it for suburban driving... it does do short trips, 5-10 minutes daily. But also longer trips on occasion.

I have noticed my fuel economy decreasing a lot over the last year.
To the point now where I am getting about 480km out of a 42 Litre full tank.
Thats over 11 litres per 100 kms.
I don't drive like a complete rev-head.. I do get stuck in traffic quite a bit.. but I can't really think this would be the reason.

Too me something is just not adding up.
Can anyone think of any obvious problems that might be causing this.. it would really be a huge help to me.

Thanks
:thumbup:

Bella
05-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Hey there!

That actually works out to be 8.75l/100km. To calculate it you go: (L x 100)/km
http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/measuring_fuel_consumption

I have a 1.3 hatch and do mostly country driving and a bit of in-town driving during the week driving to work (so similar to yourself), and I usually get around 500km off 38-40L.. So still around the 7.5-8L/100km mark. Though admittedly, I like the accelerator far too much! :redface:

The best fuel economy I have gotten was driving to Canberra when my car was about 4 months old and I was speed limited to 90km/hr, and I got 4.2/100km. But like you, my fuel efficiency has progressively deteriorated in the time I've owned her.

Perhaps have a look at http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5979 where they have some hints on things you can do to try and improve fuel economy. :cool:

Justcaz
05-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks Bella!
Im pretty stupid at working out stuff like fuel economy..
480km per tank is like the best i'm getting.. at the moment im flashing on the last bar, and its going pretty fast...

I was told by toyota at 25 k that I needed a fuel injector service...
I was told by every guy I know that its pretty much impossible that it would be needed after such a short amount of time....

Does anyone think this could be one of the reasons?

yarrr
05-05-2010, 11:30 PM
11 liters per 100 kilometers = 21.3831439 miles per gallon

that's horrible.

check - tire pressure(32 psi), air filter, if its auto, make sure you're not driving with it in 3.

Also for calculating mileage, are you just dividing by the whole tank, or the actual amount of gas you put in?

Speedz
05-08-2010, 09:38 PM
auto drinks more than a manual
driving in the urban streets will not achieve 'official' fuel consumptions no matter how hard you try...
the way you press the squeal pedal will affect the fuel economy...
as having the aircon on too
also in winter becuase of the colder air i've been told fuel economy goes down too because of the cold air... or was it the heater...? lol
if you have loads in the car ofcoz that will affect your fuel economy...

by all accounts i've achieve similar figures as the OP and the best i could achieve was less than 7L/100 on 90% highway when i was working 1hrs highway drive back 2 years ago...

AND189
05-11-2010, 07:49 AM
well i flog my little yaris within an inch of its life and i do at least 460KM per tank that is foot flat 90% of the time rev to 6,000

Bella
05-16-2010, 10:51 PM
I took my car down to Melbourne last weekend via Wangaratta and the Yarra Ranges, back through the middle of the city to try and avoid tolls, out to Werribee and then back home, and managed to get 585km off 35L .. So not far off 6.2L/100km.. Which wasn't too bad. I thought my fuel gauge might have been playing up once I got over 550km! This was with four new tyres, a service and not being able to do much over 90km/hr for a lot of the way.

WRW76
05-22-2010, 05:44 AM
i have a 1.3 auto and i get about 400kms to a tank around melbourne, but i drive like the car has been stolen

Jahbs
05-31-2010, 12:38 AM
*edit*
ok so i checked and my mpg is still running the same as it was after i had broken the engine in

on average with my 09 yaris i get about 700kms (estimated fuel economy) to a tank altho lately i been driving like a maniac so im getting about 600 per tank will trial it out later and see how well my economy is going now also

carnage08
06-24-2010, 11:52 PM
You should try using BP Ultimate petrol, though it's more expensive than regular petrol, its cleaner and more efficient. I can easily noticed that I'm doing 500kms plus easily. 08 1.3 Auto here.

ruimond
06-25-2010, 12:04 AM
I was testing out how many km's i was getting the last few weeks. The last fill up i lasted 590-600km and my low fuel light was blinking on this the same day till i got to the fuel station. Was using Caltex Vortex 98 i think or BP Ultimate. I usually use either.

I have the 1.3L Manaul. But im guessing my heavy 17's effect my fuel economy queit abit anyway haha. Usually i do a mix of Freeway driving and City Driving going to work.

Jahbs
06-26-2010, 02:23 AM
I have the 1.3L Manaul. But im guessing my heavy 17's effect my fuel economy queit abit anyway haha.

u got that right hahaha!!

BP is the way to go the initial price is more but when u factor how many kms extra u get u make up for it. i find that shell is better than caltex also.

but if u havnt changed ur fuel or anything regarding ur car its most likely the factor ur driving style may have changed if its a big problem learn to hypermile its not always as boring as ppl think besides its fun to learn new driving techniques (im currently tryin to get better with double clutching)